Versele - laga Hamster Nature is not bad but the nutrient analysis is not ideal
Protein - 17% - within range
Fats - 8.5% - high
Fibre - 7% - within range

it is recommended for any hamster to have
Protein - 17 - 19 %
Fats - 4-7%
Fibre - 6-15%

I did my own hamster mix with over 30 different ingredients (organics) with cost me RM25 per kg, therefore my hamster have
Protein - 17.77 %
Fats - 6.28%
Fibre - 12.17%

With the fat content at 6.28%, I can add treats like Shelled Nuts as boredom breaker.

This post has been edited by coyl_16: Apr 12 2017, 07:13 PM
coyl_16
post Apr 19 2017, 07:14 AM

0 posts

I do pity the syrian hamsters that kept in that situation, its too cramped. Hope they will get adopted soon.
otherwise they will fight to the death for space to dominate alone.

For my understanding and experiences,

Syrian -
Must be alone after 7-8 weeks. Fights between same gender or different will definitely occur.

For a beginner is good, once tamed is tamed for its entire life.
But their toys alone is expensive because all is in big size - wheel must be 8 inch to 12 inch which cost RM40 to RM110, any smaller will arch its back. Next the accommodation must atleast be 80cm x 50cm for it not to feel cramped in. Once they feel cramped, they will bite bars, chew any thing trying to escape.

Syrian birth at the minimum 10-20 pups.

Winter White / Campbell / Roborovski
Can be kept in pairs (same gender or different gender) or alone. They are fine being alone. Please do not think they are lonely.
Taming must be kept constant. Otherwise they will forget you after a week. biggrin.gif

I usually keep same gender in pairs. Fights do occur, like us human, sisters / brothers kept together in cramp spaces will quarrel.
So extra cage must be obtain for standby.

Beware! Different gender will lead to population explosion. They can mate right after birthing and be pregnant every month up to a year.

If not separate by gender by the 4th weeks, you will have even more pups. As each litter will be 1-10 pups.

As for their toys, it is much cheaper. 12cm to 17cm wheel which can cost from RM6 to RM20.
Cage size - can be 50cm x 30cm, but it is recommended in bigger size.

This post has been edited by coyl_16: Apr 19 2017, 07:38 AM
coyl_16
post Apr 24 2017, 04:18 PM

0 posts

Cberry, you are correct, however, that only applies for dwarf hamsters, not syrians. Syrians hamsters are all solitary. If anyone can keep syrian in groups without fighting throughout their 3yrs life span, they are extremely lucky as it is almost impossible to do. I only read in hamstercentral, one owner able to keep for 1yr before all hell break loose.

I find males syrian n females syrian have no difference in their aggression. Once tamed, most will not show much aggression. Male syrian is much leaner, n female syrian is much chubbier. I have not encountered a chubby male syrian. I only find male dwarf hamsters are chubbier.

I have 2 female syrian hamster, one with plenty of attitude but is toilet trained, one with sweetest nature n refuse to be toilet trained.

This post has been edited by coyl_16: Apr 24 2017, 04:22 PM
coyl_16
post Apr 25 2017, 06:56 PM

0 posts

It is easy to train them but takes a lot of patience, I did it successfully because

Look for the spot the syrian peed constantly.
Place a potty container filled with sand or wood pellets or any hamster safe litter with any material potty container that is heavy for them to move, as they will definitely try.
Then place some of the urine soaked bedding on top of the bedding.

If they move to another corner, put another potty on that corner. Repeat the steps again.

Some will take the hint, some will not.

Those that dont take the hint, will always pee at the side or under the wheel if their cornered is blocked.

**I find using hamster sand on those corners works faster because most Syrian do not like to roll in the sand. They commonly peed in it more. Once they get the hint, I replace the sand, with wood pellets without washing the container with soap. Then after a week or less, I then washed the container clean with soap and replace the wood pellets.**

**I might be wrong with other syrians but for mine, all my syrian hamsters totally ignore the sand bath and use it as their pee corner**

Unlike Dwarf hamster - Winter White, Campbell and Roborovski loved hamster sand alot where they rolled, eat, sleep and etc in it.

coyl_16
post May 16 2017, 05:56 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(nivlanauk @ May 15 2017, 05:44 PM)
Does anybody have spare accessories they would like to sell?
Also where do people get their wodent wheel/silent spinner from?
Where r you from?
What breed are you looking for?
There is a breeder that is very good. All types of hamster available, but she delivers in Rawang, Selayang to Kepong Area.
Search facebook for Avyhamster, right now, she has Syrian n Campbell up for adoption(for sale).Or check mudah.my for ppl giving up for adoption with fees.

Currently, I only have 11 baby agouti roborovskis which will be up for adoption at the end of May.

Normally, I buy all my hamster wheel from manjapet (Facebook) ezbuy.my, shopee.com.my, mudah.my, n petlovers n daiso. Depending on breeds n my urgency of need.

This post has been edited by coyl_16: May 16 2017, 06:20 PM
coyl_16
post May 16 2017, 10:40 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(pandera999 @ May 16 2017, 08:50 PM)
any link for manjapet?  hmm.gif  i will help pinned this... for future references
Manjapets. (Can find in Facebook, Mudah.my, shopee.com.my)
CALL / WHATSAPP +60 12 3140154 (Ms Vanessa)

coyl_16
post May 17 2017, 08:44 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(cberry @ May 17 2017, 04:12 PM)
I only intended to breed my Dwarf Hamsters, not Syrian Hamters @.@

I need some help here. One of my female dwarf hamsters just gave birth but she doesn't seem to be taking care of her pups.

What should I do?
It is rare that hamsters (all breeds) dont care for her pups, this may due to stress.
Few things to check.

Do you constantly disturb her nest to check on the babies?
Yes, try to reduce the number of disturbance to a minimal.
If need so, remove the mother first, check and put her back with treats. Mealworms and sunflower seeds

Have you supply her enough protein diet daily?
Mealworms, sunflower seeds, boiled scrambled eggs are good option

is her cage located in a quiet place?
No, place in quiet area.

is the male still with her?
No, move the male. Sometimes the male is creating stress rather than being helpful.

is she a new mother?
Yes, then you can only hope the this litter will survive.
No, means she is stress.

Handfeed them is very difficult, therefore seldom people take the chance.

coyl_16
post May 18 2017, 09:30 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(cberry @ May 18 2017, 01:02 PM)
We are trying our best to help them now. Though we are not supposed to disturb them but if we don't help them, there will be likely no chance of survival for the babies.

Now we prepared a small container and we put the babies and the mother in so that they cannot get out. Sort of forcing her to feed her babies since she cannot get out from there and go anywhere else. But we take the mother out sometimes for her to have some time of her own.

I feel sorry for her but I have to do this.
I understand the frustration. But this is normal. The more u handle the babies with spoon or any method, the more the mother will reject. What you can do is unlimited food protein diet. Then hope for the best.

If you move them now, the litter will mostly likely died within 1-2 days, but it also may be successful.

If this litter failed, u can reintroduced the male again. Record n time, normally the 2nd litter will be better n easier. I only removed the male if the female attacks or she birth the first baby. My reason is the male always ease the stress of the pregnancy period by helping food gathering, nesting.

What is the original cage setup, I always encourage ppl I came across to use storage bin, tanks as their cage; bar cages n habitrall are always discourage. Some ppl might have success but most will failed in breeding them in that environment.
coyl_16
post May 18 2017, 09:33 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(nivlanauk @ May 18 2017, 04:32 PM)
Wow. Are drowned hamsters a common accurance at petsmore? Just went to petsmore Puchong Jaya to look see. Drowned robo in the water bowl.

Have been scouting a lot of pets shops these past few days. PLC at tropicana has some young winter white if anyone is interested. Don't remember colour la..

Bought most of my supplies already. Picking up my hamster tomorrow from avyhamster  smile.gif
Petsmore is the worst n expensive pet shop in Malaysia that I know of. They treat small pet animals like rubbish. Cats n dogs sometimes good depending on breed. That's why I never buy there.

Great, Avyhamster is a great breeder. She also sells food n accessories. She didn't offer to you?

This post has been edited by coyl_16: May 18 2017, 09:37 PM
coyl_16
post May 20 2017, 10:48 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(nivlanauk @ May 19 2017, 12:36 PM)
ahh guys, that picture up there is not mine! but i'm planning to do something like that.
just got my hammie today smile.gif
[attachmentid=8829136]

Still work in progress!
Only change when it start to smell. Mine takes 4 weeks before 2 hamster make it smell. What breed you having? Campbell you might need to wash the wheel daily, they tend to pee on their wheel only. If possible u might want to add metal netting on top, I put them in this type before, in the end I change to storage bin. Not escape proof

This post has been edited by coyl_16: May 20 2017, 10:56 PM
coyl_16
post May 20 2017, 10:54 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(nivlanauk @ May 19 2017, 01:07 AM)
i have a question,
how often do they change the bedding like that? because if 1 were to change it every week, that is a lot of bedding!!  rclxub.gif
This type of cage is depend on the amount of bedding u put in. If up to 5 inches high, then once a month, take off 1/3 surface, 2/3 below, the last bit on the bottom also remove, that should be a thin layer of waste. If u do spot cleaning regularly, then it will be until 6-7 before huge change.
coyl_16
post May 23 2017, 05:03 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(nivlanauk @ May 22 2017, 08:53 PM)
oh at the moment he doesn't seem to be able to reach the top. So should be alright.. for now.

I have problem though. I can't seem to locate where its peeing station is. looked at all 4 corners and nothing seem damp. how ah?
For dwarf hamsters, I always have problems with them. Unless they want to pee at the same spot, it is difficult to know where.
All my winter whites, campbells, roborovski hamsters doesnt pee at the same place.
My campbells peed mostly in the wheels.
My winterwhite peed mostly in the food area
My roborovski peed everywhere but mostly on their bedding (shredded tissue).

So I always check for the bedding that turn dark yellow.
if you are using white paper bedding (carefresh or crittercare) it is easy to spot their urine.
As it turn to yellow to dark yellow.
coyl_16
post May 26 2017, 04:48 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(nivlanauk @ May 26 2017, 01:01 PM)
I think mine is doing the same thing too... Looks quite dirty there.
No idea but PLC is opening at the end of 2017. tongue.gif

Anybody has any idea where I can get Aspen shavings? They are out of stock at all the PLC and have no idea when they are restocking again.
Have you tried booking with them (PLC), Sometimes they can take pre-order. Once in stock, they can call you.
I have one 41L bag (2500 cubic) Aspen Shavings spare unopen which I can sell you, if you want PM / Whatsapp me.

This post has been edited by coyl_16: May 26 2017, 04:49 PM
coyl_16
post Jun 3 2017, 03:40 PM

0 posts

**Doing Market Survey**

May I know what brand type of hamster mix you guys are currently using?

And what brand do you wish to have in store and your budget per packet.
coyl_16
post Jun 15 2017, 06:03 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(daimGeno @ Jun 15 2017, 04:33 PM)
ahahaha.. any suggestion for food boss?
all shop around my place i ask simply said kuaci..  rclxub.gif

plus he like to bite his slide.. not sure y..  icon_question.gif
There is many types. But I can be sure that the only thing ur hamster don't eat is the alfalfa pellets. Which is long and green type which is commonly in all the hamster mix. Those are fillers to make the bag heavy which commonly given to rabbits n Guinea pigs, never hamsters.

All eat sunflower seed, n hamster seed mix. Check the ingredients, if oats are in the mix, rolled oats are not necessary.

As for brand, I can't tell you which your hamster might like. Each like different things. Dwarf hamsters like small seeds, Syrian like big seed n sunflower, if your hamster wants peeled, just ignore it, eventually it will peel itself. By peeling, its good for the teeth.

If the hamster is biting the toys, then its good, it is trimming its teeth. Mine don't chew on toys.

I now using dog biscuit by Waitrose for boredom breaker n as chews , bengy vitamin snack, smart heart hamster snack
and this mix. https://shopee.com.my/Homemade-Hamster-Food...76454.291733329

coyl_16
post Jun 16 2017, 01:33 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(ally19 @ Jun 15 2017, 10:58 PM)
Since there was no enquiries on the hamster we ended up keeping her...named her HamHam/HamB.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

rclxms.gif
coyl_16
post Jun 21 2017, 08:21 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(ntw @ Jun 21 2017, 06:24 PM)
Anybody can help to take care of my hamster while I'm away for raya holiday? I'll be cycling from KL- Pangkor and can't bring my hamster along...

Or should I just leave a lot of food for him n water enough for him to take care of himself?
For how many days, you are leaving, a week or just 3-5 days.
coyl_16
post Jun 23 2017, 08:34 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(ntw @ Jun 21 2017, 08:57 PM)
away from sunday till tuesday.
You have 2 options since its only 3 days.
1) just filled the food bowl at least 1/2 or 1 cup, n fresh water atleast 120ml on the day u leave. It should last.
2) I can oversee for u but I stayed in Kepong.

When I am on vacation less than a week, I always leave them alone with plenty food n water. I always double check n made sure their bottles are not leaking. I can do this as they are in a hamster proof room with ventilation n fan. I am not sure about yr hamster situation.
coyl_16
post Jun 30 2017, 08:32 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(pandera999 @ Jun 28 2017, 04:38 PM)
im suspecting my hamster have parasite.. some of her hair lose... sometimes.. itchy...  but i can say her place is clean.. the food is ok... the environment she walk... its office type.. clean... hmm.gif

i wanna bring her to vet.. normally how much the fees and medication cost here in malaysia?
Managed to bring her to vet?

What type of bedding do u provided her. Any dried grass or hay in her cage?

coyl_16
post Jun 30 2017, 02:23 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(pandera999 @ Jun 30 2017, 09:17 AM)
dried grass.... will bring her to vet tomorrow...
Then I suspect she caught mites on her fur. Dried grass n hay are always infested with mites.

I never give them hay or dried grass. Shredded toilet paper is more than enough. My hamsters tend to choose toilet paper rather than hay for bedding.

Due to the heat over here, any store bought dried grass or hay are never mites-free.

Hope she will feel better soon

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0254sec    0.41    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:04 PM