Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Lenovo Miix 510 vs Acer Switch Alpha 12, Or anything else to be considered?

views

TSmactreouser
post Feb 13 2017, 10:50 AM, updated 8y ago

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

Hi,
I'm still keep looking a 2-1in-1 Laptop to replace my Tablet for Presentation (as preview, not to output for projector).

Quite interested in Miix vs Alpha 12, which will you recommended or anything else out there should I considered?

Usage:
Chrome Browsing, Google Apps like Docs & Drives, Google Slides & WPS as presentation Apps, Low YouTube, some IM for communication with team.

Aim:
Light Wight, Slim, 12 Inch Screen, Touched Screen

Wondering:
4GB vs 8GB RAM?
i3 vs i5?

You support facts is my final decision! Appreciate in advanced! smile.gif

This post has been edited by mactreouser: Feb 13 2017, 10:51 AM
Eiraku
post Feb 13 2017, 11:16 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

Of course if you ask me, i5 8GB Miix 510... coz I'm using one lol. Though I do understand the importance of getting a second (and third and forth) opinion, so yeah.

More importantly though is the issue of specs. If you CAN stretch that far budget wise, get i5/8GB straight out. Unlike a normal laptop, 2-in-1s are hardly upgradable (I already VERY thankful I can even upgrade the SSD on my 510 at all, and it ain't all fun and games to do it either) SO its better to get good specs from the beginning.

Following this line of thought, WHY NOT the i7 version then? Because an i5 is already plenty good for 90% of what you need from ANY "general-purpose" laptop. Besides, i7s eat much more battery when pushed to the limit VS an i5 AND (of course) they cost more.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you feel that you (or whoever the owner of the 2-in-1 is gonna be) WILL NEVER EVER venture further than presentations, documents, basic IM and youtube; then admittedly the i5/8GB is overkill already. Even the i3/4GB is enough for those basic tasks, plus you should get better battery life too due too the slower proc + less RAM combo.

Something else to consider though, do make sure that the intended owner understands well the limitations of using a 2-in-1 (any 2-in-1 for that matter): Limited USB ports (at one time, USB + HDMI-out with an adapter through the Type-C is about max, unless you get a Type-C multi-hub), very limited "lapability" (2-in-1s pretty much NEED a table if you intend to use them as "laptops", ironically enough) and a huge, fingerprint-magnet screen (compared to normal tablets at least, that is gonna need frequent cleaning coz fingers lol).

Also, dat huge screen, no matter how hardy the casing surrounding it is, IS STILL a huge slab of glass. Unlike a laptop that has the screen protected by bottom part in storage, the keyboard covers on a 2-in-1 are barely strong enough to protect themselves... much less the screen. Hence, the importance of being mindful... or getting a 2-in-1 with Accidental Damage Coverage Warranty like the Miix lol (or just getting a device independent external insurance coverage for whatever other device you choose, that would work too).

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Feb 13 2017, 11:33 AM
TSmactreouser
post Feb 13 2017, 11:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

Hey Eiraku,
Appreciate your kind and very informative usage experiences sharing, this make things even clear now! rclxms.gif

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you feel that you (or whoever the owner of the 2-in-1 is gonna be) WILL NEVER EVER venture further than presentations, documents, basic IM and youtube; then admittedly the i5/8GB is overkill already. Even the i3/4GB is enough for those basic tasks, plus you should get better battery life too due too the slower proc + less RAM combo.

This seems answered my doubt! Yup. I definitely might use that "as" a tablet for my Preview-Presentation (most of the time). Why not Tablet? the big problem is multi-window for Google Slides during editing (copy & paste), so i can't really smoothly edit my contents. Therefore prefer Chrome as editing platform.

Finally, do make sure that the intended owner understands well the limitations of using a 2-in-1: Limited USB ports (USB and HDMI-out through the Type-C is about max, unless you get a Type-C multi-hub), very limited "lapability" (2-in-1s pretty much NEED a table if you intend to use it as a "laptop", ironically enough) and a huge screen (compared to normal tablets at least) that is gonna need frequent cleaning coz fingers lol.

As mentioned, I'll treat it as a tablet, so ports might not an issue at all, since table have nothing "ports" for thumbdrives and so on storage...other than Micro-USB port.

Question:
i) Battery, good or bad or worse?
ii) Heat issue, boleh tahan?
iii) Apps or Web based application? Sorry, all these while I'm a tablet (android) and Mac user, therefore not really understand about Windows' Character. So, I can or can't have those WPS/FB/Google Slides etc Apps like what tablet did?

Thanks for now! thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by mactreouser: Feb 13 2017, 11:32 AM
Eiraku
post Feb 13 2017, 12:05 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Feb 13 2017, 11:32 AM)
Hey Eiraku,
Appreciate your kind and very informative usage experiences sharing, this make things even clear now!  rclxms.gif
This seems answered my doubt! Yup. I definitely might use that "as" a tablet for my Preview-Presentation (most of the time). Why not Tablet? the big problem is multi-window for Google Slides during editing (copy & paste), so i can't really smoothly edit my contents. Therefore prefer Chrome as editing platform.
As mentioned, I'll treat it as a tablet, so ports might not an issue at all, since table have nothing "ports" for thumbdrives and so on storage...other than Micro-USB port.

Question:
i) Battery, good or bad or worse?
ii) Heat issue, boleh tahan?
iii) Apps or Web based application? Sorry, all these while I'm a tablet (android) and Mac user, therefore not really understand about Windows' Character. So, I can or can't have those WPS/FB/Google Slides etc Apps like what tablet did?

Thanks for now!  thumbup.gif
Okay, I'll try to answer those qs best I can without being TOO biased (lol).

i) Battery on the Miix 510 i5/8GB runs roughly about 5-6 hours under my "normal" load, which is multi-tab browsing and blogging while downloading stuff in the background at 25% brightness. I expect the i5/8GB Switch to do 4-5 hours under the same load. i3/4GB versions should run for about an extra hour for both the Miix (--> 6-7 hours) and the Switch (--> 5-6 hours).

ii) Heat, the Miix runs a LOT cooler due to the active cooling (fan). Unfortunately, that fan likes to be on a lot, so expect to hear its characteristic whine in a quiet environment. Its actually not that bad compared to a "normal" laptop, but coming from a "silent" tablet, you WILL notice it. Conversely, the Switch runs hotter but silent due to no fans. Again, expect things to be "better" (cooler, less fan noise) for the i3/4GB versions of both.

iii) Apps (Windows Store), Web based applications AND full Windows programs (like Microsoft Office); take your pick. Being "full" Windows means that you can choose between ANY of the above, it's completely up to you. Also, Windows 10 and MS Office 2013 and above works VERY well with touch (and Office 2013 kinda looks like Office for Mac), so you don't have to worry.

However, I do have to concur that "some" Windows programs aren't touch friendly AT ALL (particularly older programs have tiny menus and things). This is where the pen/stylus (or a wireless mouse) comes in handy.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Feb 13 2017, 01:15 PM
TSmactreouser
post Feb 13 2017, 01:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

Wow... Man... You are really a good analyst 😄👏👏👏

One thing I'm quite confused about :
Battery on the Miix 510 i5/8GB runs roughly about 5-6 hours under my "normal" load, which is multi-tab browsing and blogging while downloading stuff in the background at 25% brightness. I expect the i5/8GB Switch to do 4-5 hours under the same load.

So, 5-6 hours with your i5/8GB or i3/4GB?

QUESTION again 😝
i) how about the charger? No way to charge from PowerBank, right? Only wall plug with its own charger?

ii) where should I buy from? For better price, after service wise and warranty...etc

iii) what should I concern during checking the device after purchased ?
Eiraku
post Feb 13 2017, 02:56 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Feb 13 2017, 01:47 PM)
Wow... Man... You are really a good analyst 😄👏👏👏

One thing I'm quite confused about :

So, 5-6 hours with your i5/8GB or i3/4GB?

QUESTION again 😝
i) how about the charger? No way to charge from PowerBank, right? Only wall plug with its own charger?

ii) where should I buy from? For better price, after service wise and warranty...etc

iii) what should I concern during checking the device after purchased ?
Check the post again, that 5-6 hour and 4-5 hour figure was for the i5/8GB versions of both the Miix and the Switch. Add 1 hour extra for each for the i3/4GB version, rough estimate.

i) Charger, well, you actually can charge the Miix from a PB, but it HAS to be one of those specialized 19v "Laptop" PBs. Fortunately for you, I have just finished testing a brand new, small and affordable 19v PB: The PQI 12000NB, as can be seen below next to a first-gen Xiaomi 10k PB:

user posted image

It's about RM250-280 (available from Lazada), and can charge my Miix from 10% to about 50-80% in 2-3 hours, depending on running load. It can also simultaneously charge one of your typical USB powered gadget through the separately provided USB port (though understandably, this will lessen the charge it can supply the laptop being charged).

On the other hand, the Switch is capable of Type-C PD, so a normal PB should be able to charge it, albeit VERY SLOWLY as normal PBs don't do enough voltage for fast enough charging, especially compared compared to the 12000NB.

ii) Dunno, I got mine from Thundermatch PJ Digital Mall. They were kind enough to not only entertain my requests to test both the Switch AND the Miix, but they even searched their store for styli for both so that I could compare them. Also, they have a very flexible payment policy (mine was paid half-cash, half-EZpay). Warranty wise, Thundermatch is also an authorised Lenovo dealer IINM and everything has been solid so far. They even have a week-long 1-to-1 exchange policy IINM.

Otherwise, any Authorized Lenovo Dealer or brand name PC shop you are comfortable with should be okay.

Additionally, both Acer AND Lenovo offer warranty extensions, though I haven't quite clarified with Lenovo yet (they haven't gotten back to me) about how exactly to get an extension with them. It's simpler with Acer, you just buy an Acer Super Pack (kinda like Apple Care).

iii) Check the box contents, check the serial number, turn the device on, see if it boots as it should, check the cameras, check the "System Properties" to see if it's up to spec. Also, if you get it from a shop with a 1-to-1 exchange policy (like All-IT or ThunderMatch), you'll have a week (or so, depending on the shop) to fully test the device to your satisfaction.

Oh, and once home, do check your warranty online with Lenovo/Acer (just in case) and confirm the warranty period. If the starting date's off, contact them and ask how to re-adjust.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Feb 13 2017, 03:50 PM
TSmactreouser
post Feb 14 2017, 02:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

Sure, I got your points, bro! Love to read your comments 😄

So, should I just proceed to use the windows come along? Or need to be formatted?

If to format, I really do not have idea how it works? Just like what android device did? Or....
Eiraku
post Feb 14 2017, 03:23 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Feb 14 2017, 02:00 PM)
Sure, I got your points, bro! Love to read your comments 😄

So, should I just proceed to use the windows come along? Or need to be formatted?

If to format, I really do not have idea how it works? Just like what android device did? Or....
It should be fine to use out of the box, normally it's sealed and you'll start from zero, and a start-up wizard like the one on Android will help you to set things up.

You'll need to a Microsoft account to best take advantage of Win10's online features though, but you'll be guided to make a new one if you don't have one anyway. It's entirely optional, so don't worry.
TSmactreouser
post Feb 14 2017, 10:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Feb 14 2017, 03:23 PM)
It should be fine to use out of the box, normally it's sealed and you'll start from zero, and a start-up wizard like the one on Android will help you to set things up.

You'll need to a Microsoft account to best take advantage of Win10's online features though, but you'll be guided to make a new one if you don't have one anyway. It's entirely optional, so don't worry.
I see! If, just in case I need to format, how and what should I proceed? I mean, should I pay for anything?
Eiraku
post Feb 14 2017, 11:45 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Feb 14 2017, 10:28 PM)
I see! If, just in case I need to format, how and what should I proceed? I mean, should I pay for anything?
Nah, the option to 'refresh' (aka reformat) is built into Win10, if ever you need to do it. Just Google for Windows 10 refresh for the steps, and you can easily do it yourself (it's like resetting Android to factory settings).

If the device goes whack beyond a refresh, then it's probably better to send it in for service anyway.

So yeah, keep your money for the sleeves, screen protectors/tempered glass and bags you're gonna have to get for it later lol.

Also pick up a Tech Titan AV essentials pack (which has the ever useful Kasperaky AV as base, at a significant discount over the normal Kasperaky for some unknown reason), coz KAV is still a WHOLE LOT better than your typical, advert-ridden free AV... and Windows SUCKS when it comes to viruses.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Feb 15 2017, 09:03 AM
bbhing98
post Feb 15 2017, 12:43 AM

Getting Started
268 posts

Sorry for hijacking ur thread ts. Got some question related to lenovo miix 510 as well

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Feb 14 2017, 11:45 PM)
Nah, the option to 'refresh' (aka reformat) is built into Win10, if ever you need to do it. Just Google for Windows 10 refresh for the steps, and you can easily do it yourself (it's like resetting Android to factory settings).

If the device goes whack beyond a refresh, then it's probably better to send it in for service anyway.

So yeah, keep your money for the sleeves, screen protectors/tempered glass and bags you're gonna have to get for it later lol.
I'm interested to know whether it can run any graphic intensive software such as autoCAD or software programming apps such as n? because I'm an engineering student so i might need to use those softwares in the future. By the way, have you tried gaming on your miix 510?
I'm kinda concerned about the performance of the tablet particularly on games like csgo and maplestory as i play those games once in a while.

My normal usage will be browsing +- 10tabs on google chrome and fhd movies as well as reading PowerPoint slides.

Is the i5 8gb version sufficient for my usage?

This post has been edited by bbhing98: Feb 15 2017, 12:49 AM
TSmactreouser
post Feb 15 2017, 01:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

Eiraku,
Alright, definitely will give it a search!
Btw, Chromebook wasn't recommended ya?

@bbhing, no worries
Eiraku
post Feb 15 2017, 09:13 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Feb 15 2017, 01:12 AM)
Eiraku,
Alright, definitely will give it a search!
Btw, Chromebook wasn't recommended ya?

@bbhing, no worries
Chromebook... well... It's too cloud reliant for me to comfortably recommend for work. At least with Windows you can still do work in the boonies without Internet.

bbhing98 If it's TOO graphics intensive, it might be a problem. The Intel 520 is fast... for integrated graphics. It's still balls compared to a proper dedicated chip. As for N, not really sure, but it should at least run decently.

However, for 'light' games like CSGo the i5/8GB should run fine. I frequently play L4D2 on it at high-ish settings and it plays well enough that I'm actually quite surprised myself.

As for browsing, 10+ tabs should be fine. I frequently run 20+ tabs while downloading and checking out my video downloads (but on native 64-bit Waterfox however) and the Miix chugs along with no slowdowns.

Come hang out in the Miix 510 Review/AMA thread if you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Feb 15 2017, 09:15 AM
bbhing98
post Feb 15 2017, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
268 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Feb 15 2017, 09:13 AM)
Chromebook... well... It's too cloud reliant for me to comfortably recommend for work. At least with Windows you can still do work in the boonies without Internet.

bbhing98 If it's TOO graphics intensive, it might be a problem. The Intel 520 is fast... for integrated graphics. It's still balls compared to a proper dedicated chip. As for N, not really sure, but it should at least run decently.

However, for 'light' games like CSGo the i5/8GB should run fine. I frequently play L4D2 on it at high-ish settings and it plays well enough that I'm actually quite surprised myself.

As for browsing, 10+ tabs should be fine. I frequently run 20+ tabs while downloading and checking out my video downloads (but on native 64-bit Waterfox however) and the Miix chugs along with no slowdowns.

Come hang out in the Miix 510 Review/AMA thread if you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to help.
Sorry, what i meant was NetBeans instead of n. My phone autocorrect it.
Btw I'll move my discussions to your thread
TSmactreouser
post Feb 15 2017, 10:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

Bro. Just walked in and trying to test out Miix i3, Out Of Stock! Kidding?
Eiraku
post Feb 15 2017, 10:51 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Feb 15 2017, 10:48 AM)
Bro. Just walked in and trying to test out Miix i3, Out Of Stock! Kidding?
Wah, a shame. Where did you go? Maybe you can try asking them to check with the their branches (if they even have branches, whichever shop you went to).

Also try TechHyperMart if they have stock.

Or, you know, you can splurge and go for the i5 for the fastestz presentation laptop evah lol. At least it will never slow down with your workload.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Feb 15 2017, 10:52 AM
TSmactreouser
post Feb 15 2017, 01:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Feb 15 2017, 10:51 AM)
Wah, a shame. Where did you go? Maybe you can try asking them to check with the their branches (if they even have branches, whichever shop you went to).

Also try TechHyperMart if they have stock.

Or, you know, you can splurge and go for the i5 for the fastestz presentation laptop evah lol. At least it will never slow down with your workload.
Ya lo. Yep, TechHyperMart has (as view online), price cheaper a bit. But the 1to1 warranty wise.... Eh.... Btw, it's an online shop?

Haha. i5 8GB 😅 wish to. But as you mentioned, for my usage, it seems overkill for i5 babe ya. No point to pay extra RM100+
Eiraku
post Feb 15 2017, 03:13 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Feb 15 2017, 01:34 PM)
Ya lo. Yep, TechHyperMart has (as view online), price cheaper a bit. But the 1to1 warranty wise.... Eh.... Btw, it's an online shop?

Haha. i5 8GB 😅 wish to. But as you mentioned, for my usage, it seems overkill for i5 babe ya. No point to pay extra RM100+
True, a bit overkill, but should last a bit before getting obseleted in the future. But yeah, the i3 should have battery life going for it too so I can understand.

IINM, TechHyper does have a physical shop somewhere, try contacting them to confirm. Also, check out the sellers here in Garage Sales, I think shirogawawa is a vendor or he might have contacts in the business.

Finally, Lazada/Lelong might also have sellers with physical shops, but you might have to dig deep for info on that, unfortunately.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Feb 15 2017, 05:54 PM
shirogawawa
post Feb 15 2017, 04:33 PM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Feb 15 2017, 01:34 PM)

1 to 1 warranty how long ? hmm.gif the std warranty from Lenovo is 1 Yr Carry-in + ADP (Accidental Damage Protection)

TSmactreouser
post Feb 15 2017, 04:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Feb 15 2017, 03:13 PM)
True, a bit overkill, but should last a bit before getting obseleted in the future. But yeah, the i3 should have battery life going for it too so I can understand.

IINM, TechHyper does have a physical shop somewhere, try contacting them to confirm. Also, check out the sellers here in Garage Sales, I think shirogawawa is a vendor or he might have contacts in the business.

Finally, Lazada/Lelong might also have sellers with physical shops, but you might to ig deep for info on that, unfortunately.
Alright man!

QUOTE(shirogawawa @ Feb 15 2017, 04:33 PM)
1 to 1 warranty how long ? hmm.gif the std warranty from Lenovo is 1 Yr Carry-in + ADP (Accidental Damage Protection)
Hi there,
As Eiraku mentioned, 1to1 exchange for 7 days if not mistaken.

So, standard lenovo warranty is 2 years means?

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0223sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM