Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Electric drum, newbie trying to get into drumming

views

TSStormflyer
post Feb 7 2017, 10:24 PM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
60 posts

So I'm a newbie trying to learn how to drum but I can't get an acoustic drum set (living in condo)..
Is there anyone here that can advise me on a few things?

1) Which would be a better option to get an electric drum set or an electric drum pad instead?
2) Any recommendations on an electric drum set/pad below RM 3500?

I did do some research here and there but I would like to hear from you guys as well.

Thanks biggrin.gif
Subber
post Feb 8 2017, 12:45 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

How long have you been drumming? Are you taking any lessons?
Enemy
post Feb 8 2017, 03:27 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

QUOTE(Stormflyer @ Feb 7 2017, 10:24 PM)
So I'm a newbie trying to learn how to drum but I can't get an acoustic drum set (living in condo)..

1) Which would be a better option to get an electric drum set or an electric drum pad instead?

I did do some research here and there but I would like to hear from you guys as well.

Thanks biggrin.gif
If by "electric drum pad" you mean those percussion pads.. then I would suggest to get full electronic drum kit. Since you're just learning drums it's better to have full kit so that you can improve your coordinations when practising.

I personally like Roland. I don't own a full V-Kit, but I've been using Roland pads, triggers, etc, etc.
https://www.roland.com/us/categories/drums_...n/v-drums_kits/

TSStormflyer
post Feb 8 2017, 04:03 PM

Getting Started
60 posts

QUOTE(Subber @ Feb 8 2017, 12:45 PM)
How long have you been drumming? Are you taking any lessons?
Nope, no lessons. Just youtube self taught kind of stuff. Been almost a month i guess?
Always had a passion for drum but never thought of doing it. So now I think to myself, why not?

QUOTE(Enemy @ Feb 8 2017, 03:27 PM)
If by "electric drum pad" you mean those percussion pads.. then I would suggest to get full electronic drum kit. Since you're just learning drums it's better to have full kit so that you can improve your coordinations when practising.

I personally like Roland. I don't own a full V-Kit, but I've been using Roland pads, triggers, etc, etc.
https://www.roland.com/us/categories/drums_...n/v-drums_kits/
I see I see. It makes sense. A reason why I didnt want to go for the pads since it doesnt train the coordination that you'll get practicing on a proper drum set.
And yeah, I've been looking at Yamaha (DTX400 and DTX450) and Roland (TD-1KV). Also did look at Behringer but i've heard bad reviews about it. So i guess I'll pass on that.

kcmy
post Feb 8 2017, 04:19 PM

I gazed a gazeless stare
725 posts

some say the feel of electric drum is very much different from playing a real drum but i personally like playing an electric one.

i play using a headphone at night and in the day, i will hooked it on an amp and it's a blast. u can connect to an MP3 or ur handphone and play along with the song. u can try downloading drumless tracks and fill ur own beats.

i once owned a Pearl Forum drum set and it disturb my neighbours so much i stopped playing and eventually had it sold off.

im now using another brand, XM, had it for 3-4 years and it still serves me well but my target in the future is the one below:

user posted image

This post has been edited by kcmy: Feb 8 2017, 04:19 PM
juicyliana
post Feb 8 2017, 05:42 PM

when u think juicy, think liana
746 posts

i think yamaha and roland is good.

medeli, behringer, ashton or xm... i don't have much comment.
Enemy
post Feb 8 2017, 09:48 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

QUOTE(kcmy @ Feb 8 2017, 04:19 PM)
some say the feel of electric drum is very much different from playing a real drum but i personally like playing an electric one.

i play using a headphone at night and in the day, i will hooked it on an amp and it's a blast. u can connect to an MP3 or ur handphone and play along with the song. u can try downloading drumless tracks and fill ur own beats.

i once owned a Pearl Forum drum set and it disturb my neighbours so much i stopped playing and eventually had it sold off.

im now using another brand, XM, had it for 3-4 years and it still serves me well but my target in the future is the one below:
user posted image
My dream kit as well... But that's like RM25,000 haha. No other electronic kit can immitate the real thing as good as this one.

atong
post Feb 9 2017, 10:09 AM

Getting Started
93 posts

I have been using Alesis DM5 for more than 10 years. Maybe 11 or 12 years.

Tried XM before. Not bad. Better than my Alesis DM5 (which I use for drum trigger on acoustic kit now). Maybe because the technology is old. But DM5 never let me down.

Roland is better option than Yamaha if you ask me.
TSStormflyer
post Feb 9 2017, 02:49 PM

Getting Started
60 posts

Any comment on Alesis Forge? Have read some reviews and heard it's pretty good, not to mention cheap as well. tongue.gif
kcmy
post Feb 9 2017, 10:27 PM

I gazed a gazeless stare
725 posts

QUOTE(Enemy @ Feb 8 2017, 09:48 PM)
My dream kit as well... But that's like RM25,000 haha. No other electronic kit can immitate the real thing as good as this one.
yeah. tats y trying my luck at Toto cos no way i can afford this with my layman's salary.
Subber
post Feb 10 2017, 09:16 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Stormflyer @ Feb 8 2017, 04:03 PM)
Nope, no lessons. Just youtube self taught kind of stuff. Been almost a month i guess?
Always had a passion for drum but never thought of doing it. So now I think to myself, why not?
Great to see someone with passion for drums! The reason i ask how long you've been drumming is because playing drums is not cheap, and getting rid of a drum set is even more expensive. So make sure you serious about drumming, then buy the best that you can buy.

And one more thing, try to get some lessons from a good teacher. Learning from youtube is good, but i cannot emphasise strongly enough how important it is to get your fundamentals and foundation right, and also, how to read music. Good luck!

This post has been edited by Subber: Feb 10 2017, 09:20 AM
Subber
post Feb 10 2017, 09:17 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

Btw, you should join the Malaysian drum trader group in facebook. There are some very good deals on e-drums that pop up from time to time. Happy hunting.

This post has been edited by Subber: Feb 10 2017, 09:18 AM
TSStormflyer
post Feb 10 2017, 11:51 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

QUOTE(Subber @ Feb 10 2017, 09:16 AM)
Great to see someone with passion for drums! The reason i ask how long you've been drumming is because playing drums is not cheap, and getting rid of a drum set is even more expensive. So make sure you serious about drumming, then buy the best that you can buy.

And one more thing, try to get some lessons from a good teacher. Learning from youtube is good, but i cannot emphasise strongly enough how important it is to get your fundamentals and foundation right, and also, how to read music. Good luck!
QUOTE(Subber @ Feb 10 2017, 09:17 AM)
Btw, you should join the Malaysian drum trader group in facebook. There are some very good deals on e-drums that pop up from time to time. Happy hunting.
After so many years of growing up doing nothing, I thought that maybe it's time to do something that I've always wanted to do. Life is too short to dream but not executing it.

I do have a friend who plays drum and will seek his advice from time to time. But yeah, thanks a lot and will surely check out the group. 😊

TSStormflyer
post Feb 11 2017, 11:48 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

Anyway, I've recently scouted an used Roland TD-4K selling around RM 2.8k. Do you guys think it'll be a good buy or should I be investing the money in another/new edrum instead with that budget?
SocietyAnimal
post Feb 18 2017, 05:48 PM

12 posts

What?! Never knew that a V-drum set can cost that much! Is that price for a standard five-piece set? I bought a secondhand Roland V-Drum while I was studying for $400. Only the snare drum had the mesh-head pads, the rest were rubber pads. (I sold it off after a month for $500 because I had to fund a new laptop.)

My first kit was the Pearl Traveler Compact Drum Kit. You could switch heads between drum skins and mesh. If you are worried about bothering your neighbours but want to practice with somewhat real "feedback", give this kit a try.
Enemy
post Feb 20 2017, 02:21 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

QUOTE(SocietyAnimal @ Feb 18 2017, 05:48 PM)
What?! Never knew that a V-drum set can cost that much! Is that price for a standard five-piece set? I bought a secondhand Roland V-Drum while I was studying for $400. Only the snare drum had the mesh-head pads, the rest were rubber pads. (I sold it off after a month for $500 because I had to fund a new laptop.)

My first kit was the Pearl Traveler Compact Drum Kit. You could switch heads between drum skins and mesh. If you are worried about bothering your neighbours but want to practice with somewhat real "feedback", give this kit a try.
That in the picture is the TD20s kit... and it used to be Roland's "flagship" kit way back then, so not considered as basic/standard set at all tongue.gif
Their latest flagship now is the TD50kv.... the module alone is RM10k.. whole set should be from RM30k-35k.
SUSashestoashes
post Oct 1 2017, 09:19 PM

33 posts

QUOTE(kcmy @ Feb 8 2017, 04:19 PM)

user posted image
is it possible to assemble this one by one? hmm.gif
TheAverageHustler
post Oct 1 2017, 11:52 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(ashestoashes @ Oct 1 2017, 09:19 PM)
is it possible to assemble this one by one? hmm.gif
Yes but you'll end up paying like double the price wink.gif
check17
post Oct 2 2017, 09:33 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(Stormflyer @ Feb 7 2017, 10:24 PM)

Thanks biggrin.gif
Can.t really compare an electric drum with a pad. I used Yamaha back in th days as electric drum.
When producing music, for fun of course, i was using the pad, a simple atari would do. But I wouldn t mix up the 2 as the same thing.

izzathamidon
post Oct 4 2017, 06:40 PM

33 posts

you should get roland. i've got one and really durable, accept the hi-hats hahaha

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0165sec    0.59    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:33 PM