Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Keyboards/Piano Piano Noob, Trying to get himself a piano keyboard

views

TSnodeffect
post Feb 7 2017, 09:25 PM, updated 8y ago

Your past does not equal your future.
1,272 posts

Hi, I need some suggestions on which type of piano I should buy. Should I get the 61-keys keyboard to learn to play the piano first or should I get the full keys piano ?

I'm new and planning to teach myself how to play it. I used to play some simple songs but it's too simple even my grandma can play.

So, if I get the 61-keys keyboard, am I able to learn most of the songs ? I don't expect to play like those experts who plays those almighty classical music, I just wanted to learn and play those current pop or rock songs as a start/newbie.

Also, which brand and model would you suggest? Thanks sifus. notworthy.gif
JoshuaCYS
post Feb 12 2017, 01:34 AM

Getting Started
173 posts

QUOTE(nodeffect @ Feb 7 2017, 09:25 PM)
Hi, I need some suggestions on which type of piano I should buy. Should I get the 61-keys keyboard to learn to play the piano first or should I get the full keys piano ?

I'm new and planning to teach myself how to play it. I used to play some simple songs but it's too simple even my grandma can play.

So, if I get the 61-keys keyboard, am I able to learn most of the songs ? I don't expect to play like those experts who plays those almighty classical music, I just wanted to learn and play those current pop or rock songs as a start/newbie.

Also, which brand and model would you suggest? Thanks sifus.  notworthy.gif
First and foremost you have to understand the differences between a keyboard and a piano. The most significant difference to me is the key touch (the way how the key feels when it is pressed). Piano keys are usually a solid block as compared to keyboard keys which is pretty "hollow". I suggest you go to a music store and try out both keyboard and piano to get what I'm trying to say.

Do note that not all keyboards are 61 keys. There are 41 keys, 88 keys etc.

You should be able to play quite a number of songs, provided they don't require a full 88 key length (most songs don't btw). But if you are to transition from playing keyboard to piano, you will need some time to get used to your new instrument. I'm not saying that you must get a piano to start playing, but if you are looking for long term, a piano would be better. However, many players do start by practicing on a keyboard first, then when they feel they are more competent and wants to get serious in playing, only they'll buy a piano.
JohnKekHow
post Feb 16 2017, 11:40 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(JoshuaCYS @ Feb 12 2017, 01:34 AM)
First and foremost you have to understand the differences between a keyboard and a piano. The most significant difference to me is the key touch (the way how the key feels when it is pressed). Piano keys are usually a solid block as compared to keyboard keys which is pretty "hollow". I suggest you go to a music store and try out both keyboard and piano to get what I'm trying to say.

You should be able to play quite a number of songs, provided they don't require a full 88 key length (most songs don't btw). But if you are to transition from playing keyboard to piano, you will need some time to get used to your new instrument. I'm not saying that you must get a piano to start playing, but if you are looking  for long term, a piano would be better. However, many players do start by practicing on a keyboard first, then when they feel they are more competent and wants to get serious in playing, only they'll buy a piano.
Digital Piano for the win thumbup.gif
JoshuaCYS
post Feb 16 2017, 03:52 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

QUOTE(JohnKekHow @ Feb 16 2017, 11:40 AM)
Digital Piano for the win  thumbup.gif
Ahh another interesting topic to discuss about. Well, digital piano may not sound or feel 100% like an acoustic piano but they're much more versatile compared to acoustic piano. But my biggest concern with digital piano is that they tend to get outdated in a few years time and electronic parts are more likely to break down as time goes by smile.gif

JohnKekHow
post Feb 16 2017, 05:22 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(JoshuaCYS @ Feb 16 2017, 03:52 PM)
Ahh another interesting topic to discuss about. Well, digital piano may not sound or feel 100% like an acoustic piano but they're much more versatile compared to acoustic piano. But my biggest concern with digital piano is that they tend to get outdated in a few years time and electronic parts are more likely to break down as time goes by smile.gif
hmm.gif hmm.gif Currently have been playing digital piano KORG LP 380 for almost 2 years. Digital piano is very fun to play with nod.gif

As for breakdown part, i have to admit some electronic malfunction will cause headache haha. As for technology in digital piano is progressing by year, I start playing piano quite late (after graduating from uni) and not follow up much about the latest technology tongue.gif
SUSMatrix
post Feb 16 2017, 10:32 PM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

QUOTE(JoshuaCYS @ Feb 16 2017, 03:52 PM)
My Digital piano is like 5 years. No problem, unless you crash your piano with an electric guitar like some rock concert. "Outdated"?? Only kiasu people need to worry about outdated hardware. Music is music. There is nothing to outdate it. Every version of new digital equipment at similar price point usually only have moderate improvements not worth talking about. Great players can make even low-end equipment sounds great. Having a 100k grand piano also useless if your skill sucks. (I am tech guy btw, more than music guy).

Most important thing is your Digital piano has at least 64 channels, which will be enough for all purpose (unless you are some genius player at super speed or layering tons of tracks on it). Most keyboard have 32 channels, which is the minimum one should get.

I would still recommend to get nothing less than 64 channels which is enough for your sustain effect plus backing music without being chopped off due to lack of sound channels.

Of course, if can, get the 128 channels models...biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Matrix: Feb 16 2017, 10:38 PM
JoshuaCYS
post Feb 16 2017, 11:05 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

QUOTE(Matrix @ Feb 16 2017, 10:32 PM)
My Digital piano is like 5 years. No problem, unless you crash your piano with an electric guitar like some rock concert. "Outdated"?? Only kiasu people need to worry about outdated hardware. Music is music. There is nothing to outdate it. Every version of new digital equipment at similar price point usually only have moderate improvements not worth talking about. Great players can make even low-end equipment sounds great. Having a 100k grand piano also useless if your skill sucks. (I am tech guy btw, more than music guy).

Most important thing is your Digital piano has at least 64 channels, which will be enough for all purpose (unless you are some genius player at super speed or layering tons of tracks on it). Most keyboard have 32 channels, which is the minimum one should get.

I would still recommend to get nothing less than 64 channels which is enough for your sustain effect plus backing music without being chopped off due to lack of sound channels.

Of course, if can, get the 128 channels models...biggrin.gif
5 years is relatively new compared to acoustic piano which people usually play and keep for at least 10-20 years. I've worked in a music shop before and seen their showroom units having problems with the sensor under the keys when barely even 2 years old. Those sensors typically spoil due to wear and tear and can also develop problems if dust particles gets under the keys.

And yes, hardwares dont normally get outdated as most brand will retain most of their hardware from the previous gen. But one thing i noticed is older models typically hangs or freezes after certain capacity threshold is reached. And the OS and CPU requirements will increase as they add more features into the piano. That's where some kiasu ppl will wanna have the latest tech (like the advancement of phone tech) to keep up. But that generally doesn't happen cos piano are expensive instruments haha. The only thing manufacturers keep adding to the piano is the number of sound banks which may not be so useful for beginners as they don't really meddle around with other instrument banks.

And yeah i agree with you that music doesn't get outdated. The only way music is changing is through the style of music as time goes by.

I assume you're talking about polyphony rite. Yeah, 128 key polyphony would be the best if possible smile.gif
SUSMatrix
post Feb 16 2017, 11:10 PM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

QUOTE(JoshuaCYS @ Feb 16 2017, 11:05 PM)
5 years is relatively new compared to acoustic piano which people usually play and keep for at least 10-20 years. I've worked in a music shop before and seen their showroom units having problems with the sensor under the keys when barely even 2 years old. Those sensors typically spoil due to wear and tear and can also develop problems if dust particles gets under the keys.

And yes, hardwares dont normally get outdated as most brand will retain most of their hardware from the previous gen. But one thing i noticed is older models typically hangs or freezes after certain capacity threshold is reached. And the OS and CPU requirements will increase as they add more features into the piano. That's where some kiasu ppl will wanna have the latest tech (like the advancement of phone tech) to keep up. But that generally doesn't happen cos piano are expensive instruments haha. The only thing manufacturers keep adding to the piano is the number of sound banks which may not be so useful for beginners as they don't really meddle around with other instrument banks.

And yeah i agree with you that music doesn't get outdated. The only way music is changing is through the style of music as time goes by.

I assume you're talking about polyphony rite. Yeah, 128 key polyphony would be the best if possible smile.gif
Actually, phones are even worst than piano.

There's zero improvement for years. RM500 cheap phones can do everything high end phone can except for the cameras. The only game to play is camera. Nothing else really matters. LOL.
JoshuaCYS
post Feb 16 2017, 11:55 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

QUOTE(Matrix @ Feb 16 2017, 11:10 PM)
Actually, phones are even worst than piano.

There's zero improvement for years. RM500 cheap phones can do everything high end phone can except for the cameras. The only game to play is camera. Nothing else really matters. LOL.
Disagree totally with u.Using android as comparison, RM500 phones 4-5 years ago only comes with 512 Mb RAM when RM 500 phone now comes with 2Gb RAM. Also not mentioning the CPU and android version.

And RM500 phones can never compete with high end phone. Just by CPU, GPU and RAM alone, shows the difference. Doesn't mean they can surf FB with both phones that they can compete with each other head to head. That's like you saying an i3 processor can compete with i7 just because they can do the same task.

Pls quote me which model of RM500 cheap phone that can compete with high end models with the same performance cos I also wanna buy.

PS: Coming from a user who uses both flagship models and cheaper alternatives at the same time

SUSMatrix
post Feb 17 2017, 06:43 AM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

QUOTE(JoshuaCYS @ Feb 16 2017, 11:55 PM)
Disagree totally with u.Using android as comparison, RM500 phones 4-5 years ago only comes with 512 Mb RAM when RM 500 phone now comes with 2Gb RAM. Also not mentioning the CPU and android version.

And RM500 phones can never compete with high end phone. Just by CPU, GPU and RAM alone, shows the difference. Doesn't mean they can surf FB with both phones that they can compete with each other head to head. That's like you saying an i3 processor can compete with i7 just because they can do the same task.

Pls quote me which model of RM500 cheap phone that can compete with high end models with the same performance cos I also wanna buy.

PS: Coming from a user who uses both flagship models and cheaper alternatives at the same time
If you want to talk about performance in daily usage, there is ZERO difference. Just like daily task on an i3 vs i7. Slap on an SSD to any i3 and there is no difference in web browsing or MS OFFICE work. Any RM500 can surf web and whatsapp with no differfence. Unless you want to talk about 3D gaming, then only there is difference (but phone games are rubbish anyway, regardless how powerful hardware, it's all pointless).

Anyway, we should leave this topic out of the music subforum.

biggrin.gif

Cheers
spiritz09
post Feb 25 2017, 07:18 PM

19 posts

Any recommendation of brand/model for digital for beginner? Preferably with price range if possible (any those with below RM1k?)
theasianguy777
post Feb 26 2017, 06:47 PM

6 posts

You could try Yamaha. I bought a digital piano for around 1.4K with 61- keys. Before that I used a 44-keys keyboard just to learn basic songs because wasn't sure I would continue on playing. But if you can afford it, better to start with the 61-keys as most songs require at least that many keys.

I learnt piano on my own too because music lessons too ex lol sad.gif Now I can play most Yiruma songs and you can be as good as those people who went for lessons as long as you have the heart and passion to play and practice. All the best thumbsup.gif
chamelion
post Mar 12 2017, 10:21 PM

Back to Bricking
2,751 posts

Hi, any idea where can puchase a good digital piano?
Seems Yamaha music school (next to ldp / kelana jaya) only stock clp 545. Am looking for clp 575.

Thanks in advance.
SUSMatrix
post Mar 13 2017, 05:50 PM

King of Char Siew!
15,022 posts

QUOTE(chamelion @ Mar 12 2017, 10:21 PM)
Hi, any idea where can puchase a good digital piano?
Seems Yamaha music school (next to ldp / kelana jaya) only stock clp 545. Am looking for clp 575.

Thanks in advance.
I think you can check out garage sales, some people letting go used digital piano. Could find bargains there!
DanielW
post Mar 19 2017, 05:17 PM

Casual
327 posts

Since your favourite genres are pop and rock, I would suggest you go for digital piano or keyboard due to the variety of backing styles and voices. Acoustic piano might easily bored you.
jonFreeze
post Jun 9 2017, 03:12 PM

15 posts

Not sure if its relevant to ask here. But ive been searching high and low for keyboardist for my 5 piece band. We plan to play for events, functions and gigs once the line up is completed. All that's left to look for now is a keyboardist. Based in Klang Valley. Please pm if this interest you.
hlee077
post Aug 24 2017, 09:34 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

Hi all,

I'm looking for a piano for my daughter, she just started her lessons..
what brand or model suitable? I feel digital piano is a good idea, as a headphone can be plugged and play anytime.And can anyone recommend a shop? Last time I remembered someone in lowyat recommend a shop in kl time square, but I couldn't find the post....

Thanks!!

goldenmao
post Aug 26 2017, 07:40 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(hlee077 @ Aug 24 2017, 09:34 AM)
Hi all,

I'm looking for a piano for my daughter, she just started her lessons..
what brand or model suitable? I feel digital piano is a good idea, as a headphone can be plugged and play anytime.And can anyone recommend a shop? Last time I remembered someone in lowyat recommend a shop in kl time square, but I couldn't find the post....

Thanks!!
For beginners who want a digital piano, I was advised "Yamaha Clavinova." If you want an acoustic piano, the ones from Kawai or Yamaha are worth considering. If you buy a digital piano and your daughter becomes a serious student by Grade 5, you may need to get an acoustic piano for her to enable her to develop her touch.

The Clavinova produced by Yamaha had been used in concert-level performances. It is that good. A piano teacher may recommend the switch to an acoustic piano (eventually) is because s/he wants the student to have a solid grounding.

You could ask your daughter's teacher.

This post has been edited by goldenmao: Aug 26 2017, 07:45 AM
blu3gyrl
post Aug 31 2017, 09:56 AM

Getting Started
138 posts

QUOTE(JoshuaCYS @ Feb 12 2017, 01:34 AM)

You should be able to play quite a number of songs, provided they don't require a full 88 key length (most songs don't btw). But if you are to transition from playing keyboard to piano, you will need some time to get used to your new instrument. I'm not saying that you must get a piano to start playing, but if you are looking  for long term, a piano would be better. However, many players do start by practicing on a keyboard first, then when they feel they are more competent and wants to get serious in playing, only they'll buy a piano.
As a pianist & keyboardist, I personally would recommend piano-weighted keys rather than light/hollow keys. It gives more depth and room for expression. If you train using piano-weighted keys, it would be easier for you to switch between the 2 different keys, and it would also train your finger strength. My cousins who were trained with light/hollow keys could not get used to the actual piano keys because they were a lot heavier and require more strength.

QUOTE(goldenmao @ Aug 26 2017, 07:40 AM)
For beginners who want a digital piano, I was advised "Yamaha Clavinova."  If you want an acoustic piano, the ones from Kawai or Yamaha are worth considering. If you buy a digital piano and your daughter becomes a serious student by Grade 5, you may need to get an acoustic piano for her to enable her to develop her touch.

The Clavinova produced by Yamaha had been used in concert-level performances. It is that good. A piano teacher may recommend the switch to an acoustic piano (eventually) is because s/he wants the student to  have a solid grounding.

You could ask your daughter's teacher.
Yamaha and Kawai are good brands. I use Petrof which is a really, really, really old but gold brand. But I don't think they reproduce this anymore.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0171sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:52 PM