Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Diamond ring, Sifu help me choose

views

TSpsyduck89
post Jan 25 2017, 11:53 PM

New Korean Member
818 posts

QUOTE(silic0sis @ Jan 25 2017, 08:14 PM)
You can find "non branded" diamonds that perform as well as branded diamonds. Things like Hemera's 101 facets are "gimmicky", whether having 101 facets versus the regular 57/58 facet round brilliant is actually better, I guess that is personal preference, but there is a reason 57/58 facets is the standard. If you prefer 101 facets then I guess it might be justifiable to pay a premium for a Hemera diamond.
Well, im sticking to standard 57 facet, and pick the biggest carat..

Btw, u seems know these branded diamond very well, r u collector?
bb100
post Jan 26 2017, 12:56 AM

Editable...finally!
1,439 posts

There is no need to consider the SK diamond here.

At 0.22 carat and H colour, I would not even look at it, to be honest.

H will start to exhibit yellowish even from the top, and can they show that the SI1 is eye-clean?

You are paying more because it belongs to their signature series, so essentially you are paying for the brand.

There is no branding for diamonds, unlike handbags and watches.

Girls don't go around and ask their friends "what's your diamond 'brand'?" or "is your diamond from SK's Fullove collection/Poh Kong's Hemera?".

No, they don't.

They will only compare two things: size and sparkles, like "wahhh, your diamond damn big lehh!!" and "fuiyohh, so damn shiny, wanna shine blind me mehh??"

See?

And at 0.22 carat, please lahh, you want your future wife to kena laugh by her friends mehh?

Now let me comment on the Wah Chan one.

The 0.3 F SI1 for RM3,600 is reasonable, as Wah Chan is known to be one of the cheapest around.

A few things to take note though:

1. Is the SI1 eye-clean?
2. Is the 3Ex above-average? Some 3Exes are so bad, you won't believe how they made it there. See the sample images below. Both stones are categorised as 3Ex. One has 8 distinct black arrows while the other has none. The arrows will give a nice contrast to the diamond face-up.

user posted image
user posted image

Hope this helps.

-add-

Since you don't know what 3Ex is, allow me to briefly explain to you.

3Ex refers to Excellent cut, Excellent polish and Excellent symmetry.

These 3 criteria can be found on your diamond grading report a.k.a. certificate.

These 3 are responsible for the scintillation and brilliance of a diamond.

Do not settle for anything less than a 3Ex, otherwise you will get a diamond with poor light performance, i.e. a diamond which does not sparkle and looks like glass.

This post has been edited by bb100: Jan 26 2017, 01:07 AM
silic0sis
post Jan 26 2017, 01:02 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(psyduck89 @ Jan 25 2017, 11:53 PM)
Well, im sticking to standard 57 facet, and pick the biggest carat..

Btw, u seems know these branded diamond very well, r u collector?
No, lol, I'm just like you guys, researched before buying diamond for wife. My wife quite likes her jewelry and precious stones, so at the time I figured the knowledge would be useful for future purchases as well plus researching is quite fun. There is quite a lot to read on diamonds (and other stones like rubies, emeralds), and like other hobbies, the more you read/research the more you realize how little you know lol.

Basically I just like reading up on stuff lol.
silic0sis
post Jan 26 2017, 01:19 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(bb100 @ Jan 26 2017, 12:56 AM)
Now let me comment on the Wah Chan one.

The 0.3 F SI1 for RM3,600 is reasonable, as Wah Chan is known to be one of the cheapest around.

2. Is the 3Ex above-average? Some 3Exes are so bad, you won't believe how they made it there. See the sample images below. Both stones are categorised as 3Ex. One has 8 distinct black arrows while the other has none. The arrows will give a nice contrast to the diamond face-up.

Hope this helps.
I touched on point 2. in my previous post as well, you can use the HCA calculator to eliminate bad cuts, anything below 2.0 should be decent. They always stress though not to use the HCA calculator as a selection tool but as a tool to eliminate bad cuts.

Regarding performance, unless you're really experienced with diamonds, it can be hard IRL to know what too look for, especially with shop lighting. You can get an idealscope and learn how to look at diamonds and for light leakage but I think for the average person, all that might be too much hassle, probably best to look at youtube vids to learn how to look for scintillation, brilliance and fire and just get whatever looks good enough to you. It's not like we have that much diamond choices in Malaysia anyway lol.

Personally, I buy almost all my diamonds from Section 14 Wah Chan.
pisces88
post Jan 27 2017, 01:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,711 posts

Wahchan
brownie_89
post Mar 13 2017, 05:16 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(psyduck89 @ Jan 22 2017, 03:37 PM)
I came across two type of diamond ring which attracted me the most after went to several jewel shop..

Can any 1 give me some idea which diamond ring worth better?

Wahchan 0.3carat, si1 , F , triple ex cut(dono what is that)
SK 0.22carat, si1, H, 10heart 10arrow(fullove series)

Both come with gia cert and price is also identical..

Which 1 better?
You will find beautiful diamond rings on this site: https://brilliantcanary.com/wedding-rings/diamond_woman. They make discounts this time of the year so hurry up!
lin@lowyat
post Mar 13 2017, 06:17 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(psyduck89 @ Jan 22 2017, 03:37 PM)
I came across two type of diamond ring which attracted me the most after went to several jewel shop..

Can any 1 give me some idea which diamond ring worth better?

Wahchan 0.3carat, si1 , F , triple ex cut(dono what is that)
SK 0.22carat, si1, H, 10heart 10arrow(fullove series)

Both come with gia cert and price is also identical..

Which 1 better?
if price wise same, and both are GIA certified.

go for WahChan since it's 0.3Ct, bigger than 0.22Ct. it will shine more, and possible you get the wow factor.

spec wise:
both same si1.
color F is better than H.

use your naked eye, you will not be able to see the difference.
try to google "4C diamond" then you will know.

This post has been edited by lin@lowyat: Mar 13 2017, 06:18 PM
TSpsyduck89
post Mar 13 2017, 10:16 PM

New Korean Member
818 posts

QUOTE(lin@lowyat @ Mar 13 2017, 06:17 PM)
if price wise same, and both are GIA certified.

go for WahChan since it's 0.3Ct, bigger than 0.22Ct. it will shine more, and possible you get the wow factor.

spec wise:
both same si1.
color F is better than H.

use your naked eye, you will not be able to see the difference.
try to google "4C diamond" then you will know.
Thanks...
I bought already last month laugh.gif

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:21 PM