Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to make a NAS/Network Cloud, A to Z step

views

TSsepah98
post Jan 19 2017, 07:11 PM, updated 8y ago

"don't let pinoy mid"-Albert Einstein
581 posts

Hi all.. it's maybe a little bit silly for me to ask this question.. but yeah.. for my future.. it's my last year at this college and as all of you know, we must create a year end project which is my choice will be making a Network Attached Storage AKA NAS AKA Network Cloud for my department.. My plan is to build 2 server which is 1 for the cloud and another 1 as backup if the first server down.. 3 routers for the network so user can get access the cloud eventho they're far away(also a requirement so the network system doesn't look so easy).. Also the budget is VERY tight.. so everything must be on budget..
I hope you guys can answer my question here:
1) minimum requirement for server to support the service. Let say for 50-80 people
2)open source OS that is light enough so it won't stress the system and reference link for the coding to make a server.
3) coding to make a registry system so people can log in so the can save their file.. also coding to limit their space in the cloud.
4) 3 identical router that's very reliable and cheap that can handle a lot amount of user..
5) Coding so the second server can synchronize all log in/sign up data from the first server and also coding that will get the server online when the 1st server is dead
6) setting for the router so it will be running the same ssid(let say the user access the cloud from the first router and move far enough, it will automatically connected to the closest router and doesn't require them to re-log in again..
7) any reference link so i can refer to
8) clarify anything that i need more to make it a successful project..
Thanks All of you
dewill
post Jan 19 2017, 07:20 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

QUOTE(sepah98 @ Jan 19 2017, 07:11 PM)
Hi all.. it's maybe a little bit silly for me to ask this question.. but yeah.. for my future.. it's my last year at this college and as all of you know, we must create a year end project which is my choice will be making a Network Attached Storage AKA NAS AKA Network Cloud for my department.. My plan is to build 2 server which is 1 for the cloud and another 1 as backup if the first server down.. 3 routers for the network so user can get access the cloud eventho they're far away(also a requirement so the network system doesn't look so easy).. Also the budget is VERY tight.. so everything must be on budget..
1) minimum requirement for server to support the service. Let say for 50-80 people
2)open source OS that is light enough so it won't stress the system and reference link for the coding to make a server.
3) coding to make a registry system so people can log in so the can save their file.. also coding to limit their space in the cloud.
4) 3 identical router that's very reliable and cheap that can handle a lot amount of user..
5) Coding so the second server can synchronize all log in/sign up data from the first server and also coding that will get the server online when the 1st server is dead
6) setting for the router so it will be running the same ssid(let say the user access the cloud from the first router and move far enough, it will automatically connected to the closest router and doesn't require them to re-log in again..
Thanks All of you
Budget? EMC standard or Western digital standard?
TSsepah98
post Jan 19 2017, 07:25 PM

581 posts

QUOTE(dewill @ Jan 19 2017, 07:20 PM)
Budget? EMC standard or Western digital standard?
Quote me the budget.. cause it's people money.. so can't spend sesuka hati.. what's the difference between those two standard?
tuo850
post Jan 19 2017, 09:56 PM

Enthusiast
756 posts

http://www.freenas.org/
TSsepah98
post Jan 20 2017, 12:01 AM

581 posts

QUOTE(tuo850 @ Jan 19 2017, 09:56 PM)
[QUOTE]
Thanks for the link.. But does it support database system?
TSsepah98
post Jan 20 2017, 10:01 AM

581 posts

please guys.. spoonfeed me..
GreenSamurai
post Jan 20 2017, 10:17 AM

The Green One
2,144 posts

QUOTE(sepah98 @ Jan 19 2017, 07:11 PM)
Thanks All of you
How about 30k for the hardware and 5k for the code/configuration as a start?

This post has been edited by GreenSamurai: Jan 20 2017, 10:19 AM
TSsepah98
post Jan 20 2017, 10:42 AM

581 posts

QUOTE(GreenSamurai @ Jan 20 2017, 10:17 AM)
How about 30k for the hardware and 5k for the code/configuration as a start?
i thought the open source OS is free?

GreenSamurai
post Jan 20 2017, 10:46 AM

The Green One
2,144 posts

QUOTE(sepah98 @ Jan 20 2017, 10:42 AM)
i thought the open source OS is free?
You are basically asking people to do the project for you now since you are asking for the source code so I am quoting you the price for that. Nothing is free bro even if it's spoonfeeding.
TSsepah98
post Jan 20 2017, 10:51 AM

581 posts

QUOTE(GreenSamurai @ Jan 20 2017, 10:46 AM)
You are basically asking people to do the project for you now since you are asking for the source code so I am quoting you the price for that. Nothing is free bro even if it's spoonfeeding.
i'm not asking them to come here and make it for me.. i'm asking for reference link for the code.. there is something free.. you just don't realize it..
tampinmy
post Jan 20 2017, 10:51 AM

Getting Started
222 posts

QUOTE(sepah98 @ Jan 20 2017, 10:01 AM)
please guys.. spoonfeed me..
Heard of google? use it to search for youtube videos of setting up freenas / nas4free with database/cloud/torrent/blabla

TSsepah98
post Jan 20 2017, 10:53 AM

581 posts

QUOTE(tampinmy @ Jan 20 2017, 10:51 AM)
Heard of google? use it to search for youtube videos of setting up freenas / nas4free with database/cloud/torrent/blabla
alright noted
GreenSamurai
post Jan 20 2017, 10:57 AM

The Green One
2,144 posts

QUOTE(sepah98 @ Jan 20 2017, 10:53 AM)
alright noted
Don't use zfs file system if you are not using ecc memory else everyone will just curse you when they lose their data
TSsepah98
post Jan 20 2017, 11:12 AM

581 posts

QUOTE(GreenSamurai @ Jan 20 2017, 10:57 AM)
Don't use zfs file system if you are not using ecc memory else everyone will just curse you when they lose their data
alright noted too.. minimum spec to make a server??

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:48 AM