Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

anyone still practice hackerrank?

views

TSlittlemix
post Jan 19 2017, 11:11 AM, updated 8y ago

34 posts

algorithm is necessary for programmer? in this country there are more googler than real programming lol
kingkingyyk
post Jan 20 2017, 08:25 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,425 posts

QUOTE(littlemix @ Jan 19 2017, 11:11 AM)
algorithm is necessary for programmer? in this country there are more googler than real programming lol
Efficiency & Scalability
It does help in making the program runs better. By using inefficient method (from programmer who is just lazy), the program can run into performance issue.

Problem Solving
Without understanding the standard algorithm, you won't be able to modify it to fit the problem you want to solve.

====================================
Welcome to the world of competitive programming. biggrin.gif I don't join hackerrank, but on UVA/Project Euler/USACO.
TSlittlemix
post Jan 23 2017, 10:10 AM

34 posts

QUOTE(kingkingyyk @ Jan 20 2017, 08:25 PM)
Efficiency & Scalability
It does help in making the program runs better. By using inefficient method (from programmer who is just lazy), the program can run into performance issue.

Problem Solving
Without understanding the standard algorithm, you won't be able to modify it to fit the problem you want to solve.

Welcome to the world of competitive programming.  biggrin.gif I don't join hackerrank, but on UVA/Project Euler/USACO.
can competitive programming make u a better programmer/developer? I prefer business skill than this, at least it's more applicable in Malaysia.
kingkingyyk
post Jan 23 2017, 11:10 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,425 posts

QUOTE(littlemix @ Jan 23 2017, 10:10 AM)
can competitive programming make u a better programmer/developer? I prefer business skill than this, at least it's more applicable in Malaysia.
It is a yes. bolehland lacks this kind of talent. Given a problem, would it be faster if you can solve it yourself or spend time to google around to understand and modify other's algorithm? Or even no-one has solved such problem before?
If you have the business skill, but lack of someone who can solve the problem you want to tackle, you won't be able to sell a product.

Without Djikstra algorithm, your simplest navigation program won't exist. In real world, there are more tweaks for calculating the weightage of the edges to make it better. You need to come up with formula/algorithm to do that. It helps keep your program up to competition.

QUOTE(oldman_coder @ Jan 23 2017, 10:48 AM)
These algorithm skills only help up to a certain degree.

But most young startups or companies assigning hiring to youngsters will encourage these tests for a simple reason.

It's a way to find culture fit people, who also recently grad from school and still remember these algorithms.

Developers with years of experience probably would not touch it that much since they focus more on business domain/logic.

In a way, this is a hidden/stealth age discrimination criteria/tool for hiring.
If you're under 30 you shouldn't be complaining about such method because it's meant to favor you, since you should still have your CS101 in memory compared to those who've grad school long ago and worked over 10 years.
In short, need to find young programmers who did well in school, use this criteria of algorithm coding tests. Everyone else, let them go.
Life-long learning. flex.gif Quitting school doesn't mean stop learning further.

This post has been edited by kingkingyyk: Jan 23 2017, 11:15 AM
angch
post Jan 23 2017, 07:32 PM

On my way
635 posts

Dunno, I do them (hackerrank and projecteuler) for practice sometimes. Keeps me on my edge. Pretty good kata.
TSlittlemix
post Jan 24 2017, 09:02 AM

34 posts

QUOTE(kingkingyyk @ Jan 23 2017, 11:10 AM)
It is a yes. bolehland lacks this kind of talent. Given a problem, would it be faster if you can solve it yourself or spend time to google around to understand and modify other's algorithm? Or even no-one has solved such problem before?
If you have the business skill, but lack of someone who can solve the problem you want to tackle, you won't be able to sell a product.

Without Djikstra algorithm, your simplest navigation program won't exist. In real world, there are more tweaks for calculating the weightage of the edges to make it better. You need to come up with formula/algorithm to do that. It helps keep your program up to competition.
Life-long learning.  flex.gif Quitting school doesn't mean stop learning further.
google solve problem faster include algorithm question. I will always try but there's always someone in the globe who's smarter than me, so I prefer to dig him out using google. In the end I got the best solution from him. lol..
TSlittlemix
post Jan 24 2017, 09:03 AM

34 posts

QUOTE(oldman_coder @ Jan 23 2017, 10:48 AM)
These algorithm skills only help up to a certain degree.

But most young startups or companies assigning hiring to youngsters will encourage these tests for a simple reason.

It's a way to find culture fit people, who also recently grad from school and still remember these algorithms.

Developers with years of experience probably would not touch it that much since they focus more on business domain/logic.

In a way, this is a hidden/stealth age discrimination criteria/tool for hiring.
If you're under 30 you shouldn't be complaining about such method because it's meant to favor you, since you should still have your CS101 in memory compared to those who've grad school long ago and worked over 10 years.
In short, need to find young programmers who did well in school, use this criteria of algorithm coding tests. Everyone else, let them go.
if u have 10 yrs exp isn't u should perform better than the freshie?
kingkingyyk
post Jan 24 2017, 12:03 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,425 posts

QUOTE(littlemix @ Jan 24 2017, 09:02 AM)
google solve problem faster include algorithm question. I will always try but there's always someone in the globe who's smarter than me, so I prefer to dig him out using google. In the end I got the best solution from him. lol..
That's the learning process. Eventually you will come up with your approach of solving issues that isn't solved by anyone else previously.
SUSTheRant
post Feb 10 2020, 03:30 PM

On my way
688 posts

QUOTE(littlemix @ Jan 24 2017, 09:03 AM)
if u have 10 yrs exp isn't u should perform better than the freshie?
That's why you are pathetic. Of course I will solve problems involving my skills that I have acquired through out the years rather then academic questions.
alexa
post Feb 10 2020, 07:25 PM

Big Boss
1,456 posts

For me yes.
alexa
post Feb 10 2020, 07:25 PM

Big Boss
1,456 posts

QUOTE(kingkingyyk @ Jan 20 2017, 08:25 PM)
Efficiency & Scalability

Problem Solving

Welcome to the world of competitive programming.  biggrin.gif I don't join hackerrank, but on UVA/Project Euler/USACO.
Agreed
FlierMate
post Dec 15 2020, 12:48 AM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

QUOTE(littlemix @ Jan 23 2017, 10:10 AM)
This is what I am thinking, exactly. I think most Malaysians do business application, even the founder of a School Management System once said, "I am a businessman, not an educator".

Lately, I am chasing after the wind, e.g. follow trends to make web app and prepare to learn writing Android app, but after ponder for a few days, I think I have come to the conclusion, that there are just many types of programmers in this world (i.e. you just couldn't cover everything)

Some programmers do business app like banking, e-commerce, point- of-sale, inventory, payroll, logistics, billing ,etc.

Some programmers do productivity app , file / system utilities, multimedia app (I have seen one Malaysian create MoneyManager365, a time management Android/iOS app, recently won Huawei mobile app contest)

Some programmers do scientific app (which is rare in Malaysia) and industrial app, may be also apps like OCR, image processing, computer vision, facial recognition, speech recognition) BUT using API available in the market.

A few programmers maintaining OS kernel and APIs for sound, picture, video and other standards that make life of high-level programmer much easier

A few programmers doing hardware interfacing, MCU programming, low-level programming (debugger, disassembler, compiler, parser)

The elite programmer / founder creating those programming languages, frameworks, runtime libraries for the rest of programmers across the globe.

The inventor who discovered various computer algorithm and mathematical formula (possibly in the last century)

The international team who maintains the worldwide computing standard (e.g. encoding)

The manufacturer of proprietary OS (e.g. Windows ) who also works with device driver, boot loader, BIOS software, etc

P.S. The list above is far from exhaustive, these are what I popped into my head.

MyRedz
post Dec 16 2020, 08:38 PM

Enthusiast
961 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Dec 15 2020, 01:48 AM)
This is what I am thinking, exactly. I think most Malaysians do business application, even the founder of a School Management System once said, "I am a businessman, not an educator".

Lately, I am chasing after the wind, e.g. follow trends to make web app and prepare to learn writing Android app, but after ponder for a few days, I think I have come to the conclusion, that there are just many types of programmers in this world (i.e. you just couldn't cover everything)
Some programmers do business app like banking, e-commerce, point- of-sale, inventory, payroll, logistics, billing ,etc.

Some programmers do productivity app , file / system utilities, multimedia app (I have seen one Malaysian create MoneyManager365, a time management Android/iOS app, recently won Huawei mobile app contest)

Some programmers do scientific app (which is rare in Malaysia) and industrial app, may be also apps like OCR, image processing, computer vision, facial recognition, speech recognition) BUT using API available in the market.

A few programmers maintaining OS kernel and APIs for sound, picture, video and other standards that make life of high-level programmer much easier

A few programmers doing hardware interfacing, MCU programming, low-level programming (debugger, disassembler, compiler, parser)

The elite programmer / founder creating those programming languages, frameworks, runtime libraries for the rest of programmers across the globe.

The inventor who discovered various computer algorithm and mathematical formula (possibly in the last century)

The international team who maintains the worldwide computing standard (e.g. encoding)

The manufacturer of proprietary OS (e.g. Windows ) who also works with device driver, boot loader, BIOS software, etc
P.S. The list above is far from exhaustive, these are what I popped into my head.
Great list .which programmer pays the most ?
FlierMate
post Dec 16 2020, 08:57 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

QUOTE(MyRedz @ Dec 16 2020, 08:38 PM)
Great list .which programmer pays the most ?
Thanks for the likes, but I forgot to put Games and Games Engines into the list (maybe others that I am not familiar also not in the list). I cannot tell which programmer pays the most simply because I do not know. blink.gif

I believe not all programmers get paid, some are asking for donations, or fundraising instead . hmm.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:32 PM