Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

I feel very incompetent at work., Feel like i should quit.

views

TSNathanJeans
post Jan 18 2017, 10:41 PM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
75 posts

For starters,this is my first job. Going to be almost 9 months here. I work for a retail property management company( finance department) my job consist of monitoring retail property rental leasing, and many others that affect our monthly billing, including short-term rental (ie; event/advertisement). My work also consist of income reporting to submit to upper management for their monthly stakeholders meeting.

I find myself missing deadlines and missed out on my daily work tasks that it starts to affect others. We have a trickle-down task-line. I keep having documents gone missing as my workdesk is just a pile of documents and papers.

My coworkers have to constantly remind me to do XYZ or correct XYZ. My direct supervisor has explicitly tell me she is recording all my mistakes and missed datelines. I find myself working nonstop once I step into the office at 9am, almost daily having to leave at 9pm, still things aren't getting done.

I feel extremely incompetent ; I feel like I should quit and find a job that isnt so complicated. But here comes my dilemma, I have made some pretty close friends during my time here, my boss has been extremely patience with me, giving me guidance and i feel that if I quit im going to be such a disappointment and betrays her. I don't hate my job, i enjoy the time i had spent here. The benefits is good, the pay is okayish for a fresh grad, the location is good.

During my appraisal, my supervisor can only say that I have a good attitude, I am always willing to listen, and offer a helping hand to others. And besides me being a nice person, I dont seems to have any salvageable skills that can proof myself to be a asset to the company.

I feel like I should quit because they can anytime employ someone better me, I feel like a burden at work, cant seems to get my tasks getting done properly.

This post has been edited by NathanJeans: Jan 18 2017, 10:51 PM
kabuto12
post Jan 18 2017, 10:46 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

at least your boss support you. Try to think positive.
holyzshit
post Jan 18 2017, 10:47 PM

Getting Started
249 posts

Surely if your colleagues are willing to tolerate and give you a chance, you should probably cut yourself some slacks. Tbh, no one really expects a fresh grad to be extremely work competent (that's why they pay so low)
ThanatosSwiftfire
post Jan 18 2017, 11:25 PM

Irregular
2,787 posts

How long have you been with this company?
TSNathanJeans
post Jan 18 2017, 11:40 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(ThanatosSwiftfire @ Jan 18 2017, 11:25 PM)
How long have you been with this company?
9 months
ComingBackSoon
post Jan 19 2017, 12:12 AM

Enthusiast
787 posts

My advice is - if you judge a fish by how fast it can climb a tree, then the fish is going to live its life thinking it is incompetent. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Maybe your weakness is that you are not organised and you can't do administrative work.

That doesn't mean you are useless. Your strength lies somewhere else.
SUSthe99percent1
post Jan 19 2017, 08:39 AM

Casual
381 posts

Sounds like you have a confidence issue or low self esteem.
Don't worry about missing deadlines. It seems your manager likes you enough that she/he will protect you so long as you are working hard.

Loosen up abit. Trust yourself that you are capable of doing the job. Tell yourself that you can do it. It is not rocket science.

Admin tasks is all about concentration and focus. Try to have less distractions. Turn off your phone if you must. Stop browsing the internet. Less chit chat with colleagues.

Have a plan list. List down 5 things everyday that needs to be accomplished by today and set out to achieve it. You can do it. Just have more confidence in yourself.

adamhzm90
post Jan 19 2017, 08:47 AM

Regular
1,269 posts

Advise : If you are doing a task, but another task comes in that can be settled in 5 minutes, do the new task first and finish it off quickly.
jordin.spark
post Jan 19 2017, 09:24 AM

Getting Started
226 posts

Give yourself some times. Perhaps one year. You have a good superior.
For me, don't quit so easy.

avrilmae
post Jan 19 2017, 10:09 AM

Regular
1,039 posts

Get yr desk organized, documents in trays where u can find them.
Darkcloudz
post Jan 19 2017, 10:15 AM

Enthusiast
935 posts

you should work happily.
that's the most important thing.

WaCKy-Angel
post Jan 19 2017, 10:30 AM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(NathanJeans @ Jan 18 2017, 10:41 PM)
For starters,this is my first job. Going to be almost 9 months here. I work for a retail property management company( finance department) my job consist of monitoring retail property rental leasing, and many others that affect our monthly billing, including short-term rental (ie; event/advertisement). My work also consist of income reporting to submit to upper management for their monthly stakeholders meeting.

I find myself missing deadlines and missed out on my daily work tasks that it starts to affect others. We have a trickle-down task-line. I keep having documents gone missing as my workdesk is just a pile of documents and papers.

My coworkers have to constantly remind me to do XYZ or correct XYZ. My direct supervisor has explicitly tell me she is recording all my mistakes and missed datelines. I find myself working nonstop once I step into the office at 9am, almost daily having to leave at 9pm, still things aren't getting done.

I feel extremely incompetent ; I feel like I should quit and find a job that isnt so complicated. But here comes my dilemma, I have made some pretty close friends during my time here, my boss has been extremely patience with me, giving me guidance and i feel that if I quit im going to be such a disappointment and betrays her. I don't hate my job, i enjoy the time i had spent here. The benefits is good, the pay is okayish for a fresh grad, the location is good.

During my appraisal, my supervisor can only say that I have a good attitude, I am always willing to listen, and offer a helping hand to others. And besides me being a nice person, I dont seems to have any salvageable skills that can proof myself to be a asset to the company.

I feel like I should quit because they can anytime employ someone better me, I feel like a burden at work, cant seems to get my tasks getting done properly.
Are you sure you are incompetent or over-worked?
If your boss only interested to record your mistakes instead of finding out the real cause, i think its better u find another company.
pls discuss with ur superior perhaps to lesser ur workload ?
Zoopdiidoo
post Jan 19 2017, 11:28 AM

Getting Started
216 posts

Is it possible that your task is something which cannot be completed by one person alone?

Is this a new job role by the company? If it is not, how did the previous staff completed all his/her task? You can research and ask your supervisor how was work done by the previous staff. Best practices which can be replicated should be done.

Please gauge the task at hand and perform some test. You should gauge whether your task is something which can be completed by 1 person or additional staff are required or should the SLA (service level agreement) be changed. Some task requires 1 day to be completed but has been set in the SLA timeline to be completed within half a day, this is something which is impossible regardless how skillful you are. Your supervisor would probably pat you in the back for that as you are going above and beyond to help his operations. (Actually its his job to do the estimates and SLA)

At End of the day if nothing of the above works. Its time to look into your work efficiency. Track every single step you do to perform your task. Write it down and then look into each step. Are there any steps which are non value added which can be skipped or are there any steps which takes up too long a lead time which can be trimmed to a shorter lead time. Are there any tools which can be introduced to your job so that you can automate some of the stuff which will free up loads of your time and resources.

Do not fret...some company do have a job role which are badly managed. They try to cut cost(hiring one person to perform 2 persons task) and refrain from making any changes(SLA wise and SOP wise) because it is convenient for the management (they are lazy) to just ignore and let the hardship befall the person working on the task. If that is so, you can just leave.

Good luck.

This post has been edited by Zoopdiidoo: Jan 19 2017, 11:31 AM
Bussybody
post Jan 19 2017, 09:08 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

Dont give up if u like what you are doing.
TSNathanJeans
post Jan 19 2017, 09:30 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(adamhzm90 @ Jan 19 2017, 08:47 AM)
Advise : If you are doing a task, but another task comes in that can be settled in 5 minutes, do the new task first and finish it off quickly.
yeah, but i always have people giving me tandom quick tasks that can be done in 5 minutes, these 5 minutes here and there are slowly accumulating.

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Jan 19 2017, 10:30 AM)
Are you sure you are incompetent or over-worked?
If your boss only interested to record your mistakes instead of finding out the real cause, i think its better u find another company.
pls discuss with ur superior perhaps to lesser ur workload ?
I tried discussing with my other colleagues and apparently, it has always been like that. just that none of them is facing the issues im facing.

QUOTE(Zoopdiidoo @ Jan 19 2017, 11:28 AM)
Is it possible that your task is something which cannot be completed by one person alone?

Is this a new job role by the company? If it is not, how did the previous staff completed all his/her task? You can research and ask your supervisor how was work done by the previous staff. Best practices which can be replicated should be done.

Please gauge the task at hand and perform some test. You should gauge whether your task is something which can be completed by 1 person or additional staff are required or should the SLA (service level agreement) be changed. Some task requires 1 day to be completed but has been set in the SLA timeline to be completed within half a day, this is something which is impossible regardless how skillful you are. Your supervisor would probably pat you in the back for that as you are going above and beyond to help his operations. (Actually its his job to do the estimates and SLA)

At End of the day if nothing of the above works. Its time to look into your work efficiency. Track every single step you do to perform your task. Write it down and then look into each step. Are there any steps which are non value added which can be skipped or are there any steps which takes up too long a lead time which can be trimmed to a shorter lead time. Are there any tools which can be introduced to your job so that you can automate some of the stuff which will free up loads of your time and resources.

Do not fret...some company do have a job role which are badly managed. They try to cut cost(hiring one person to perform 2 persons task) and refrain from making any changes(SLA wise and SOP wise) because it is convenient for the management (they are lazy) to just ignore and let the hardship befall the person working on the task. If that is so, you can just leave.

Good luck.
Thanks..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0121sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:10 PM