Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fitness How to start a freelance personal training/online

views

TSdesxerre
post Jan 17 2017, 10:32 AM, updated 8y ago

4 posts

I'm a female based in Penang and have been training in a style of powerbuilding for 3 years. Lost a ton of weight, made some gains and strength. I'm very passionate about this industry and have done alot of research and practice not just for training but also nutrition and tons of understanding on the way our human body function. So long story short, I'm looking to step into the fitness industry but I have no clue where to get started. Do you guys have any tips or ideas on how to start my freelance personal training or online training career? I'm not looking to have like a big, huge, commercial starting point but just getting the ball rolling with this and finding clients etc.
Dagger69
post Jan 17 2017, 10:44 AM

u no say?
1,196 posts

QUOTE(desxerre @ Jan 17 2017, 10:32 AM)
I'm a female based in Penang and have been training in a style of powerbuilding for 3 years. Lost a ton of weight, made some gains and strength. I'm very passionate about this industry and have done alot of research and practice not just for training but also nutrition and tons of understanding on the way our human body function. So long story short, I'm looking to step into the fitness industry but I have no clue where to get started. Do you guys have any tips or ideas on how to start my freelance personal training or online training career? I'm not looking to have like a big, huge, commercial starting point but just getting the ball rolling with this and finding clients etc.
I suggest you start off with the gym you're going to. See if you can engage with them and get clients that workout at the same place. Usually gym owners will not allow outsiders to conduct their PT unless you do it discreetly.

Else you can use social medias to promote yourself and your training program. Show the public what you have achieved and use that to motivate them to get into fitness by signing up with your training program.

This post has been edited by Dagger69: Jan 17 2017, 10:45 AM
Npad
post Jan 17 2017, 01:17 PM

Casual
356 posts

This guy is looking for a coach. Keep a lookout, you might find somebody that wants your services.
Miracles
post Jan 17 2017, 05:17 PM

★ Detective /K ★
1,171 posts

Start posting your workouts on Instagram/Facebook.

Make sure you lift some impressive numbers and/or aesthetic physique since you claim you are a powerbuilder.

Start sharing workout/diet tips. (Hopefully it's not broscience material)

Dont be too pushy when it comes to promoting your service. Hella annoying.

I know of a PT who did 0 promoting his PT service on his social medias and yet he get tons of clients via gym interaction and good physique.
lingleeyen
post Jan 17 2017, 06:03 PM

Regular
1,376 posts

QUOTE(Npad @ Jan 17 2017, 01:17 PM)
This guy is looking for a coach. Keep a lookout, you might find somebody that wants your services.
The guy who wants stronger upper body with no lifting at all? That is not your target client.
Npad
post Jan 17 2017, 06:13 PM

Casual
356 posts

QUOTE(lingleeyen @ Jan 17 2017, 06:03 PM)
The guy who wants stronger upper body with no lifting at all? That is not your target client.
Haha. I didn't check. *shrugs*
bafukie
post Jan 18 2017, 05:14 AM

Regular
1,406 posts

Whats ur lifting stats like? I am looking for some1 to bring up my big 3 lifts. A good lady coach will be a bonus.
TSdesxerre
post Jan 18 2017, 10:17 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(Dagger69 @ Jan 17 2017, 10:44 AM)
I suggest you start off with the gym you're going to. See if you can engage with them and get clients that workout at the same place. Usually gym owners will not allow outsiders to conduct their PT unless you do it discreetly.

Else you can use social medias to promote yourself and your training program. Show the public what you have achieved and use that to motivate them to get into fitness by signing up with your training program.
That's true. I'm trying to build up from social media, filming my workouts have been a fail lately lol my gym is really small and cramped. The reason why I havent been engaging with people particularly women at my gym is because there's not much women there and if there was they usually do the usual classes and walking thing. Tried to talk to some potential ones before but i noticed women still shy away from the concept of lifting. I had given training programs out for free to some of my female friends and they quit after one day. I think it's quite hard getting female clients in general so i think building up my social media is a good idea to get more engagement with people who are interested with my style of training etc and share the benefits of it.
TSdesxerre
post Jan 18 2017, 10:22 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(bafukie @ Jan 18 2017, 05:14 AM)
Whats ur lifting stats like? I am looking for some1 to bring up my big 3 lifts.  A good lady coach will be a bonus.
I don't know if you would think its a good stat, i tend to compare myself to the ones I follow on youtube and whatever lol. Still progressing on a certain strength training program right focussing on my sumo and conventional deadlifts and will be re-testing my max on those in a few weeks time.

53KG female

Squat: 100KG x 2 rep max
Deadlift : 100KGx 4 rep max
Bench: 50kg x 1 rpm

murv90
post Jan 18 2017, 11:28 AM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(desxerre @ Jan 18 2017, 10:17 AM)
That's true. I'm trying to build up from social media, filming my workouts have been a fail lately lol my gym is really small and cramped. The reason why I havent been engaging with people particularly women at my gym is because there's not much women there and if there was they usually do the usual classes and walking thing. Tried to talk to some potential ones before but i noticed women still shy away from the concept of lifting. I had given training programs out for free to some of my female friends and they quit after one day. I think it's quite hard getting female clients in general so i think building up my social media is a good idea to get more engagement with people who are interested with my style of training etc and share the benefits of it.
IMO the best thing is to attract crowd from social media, but it may take some time and you've to push alot of useful content. You may want to put up like progress pics of yourself together with some info in captions to make people more engaged with your page/site. If you want a more conventional methods like not through social media you might wanna try hitting those gyms where you think your target audience might be at, maybe some commercial gyms( but i think they already have trainers), gyms around colleges or young working adults? And like you said its very hard to get girls into lifting because they don't quite understand and have the mentality of 'I'll get bulky if I lift weights'.

IMO young crowd should be your target, because alot of people are looking to get into lifting as healthy lifestyle is catching on. biggrin.gif good luck with wtv you're trying.
TSdesxerre
post Jan 18 2017, 01:04 PM

4 posts

side note, i have this idea for awhile now nothing to do with personal training etc. but I was thinking of starting up an online store selling lifting tools etc i.e weight belts, straps, knee sleeves, chalk block, foam roller, lacrosse balls etc for an affordable price range. Do you guys think there's a market for this here? I'm a web designer myself so setting up the site is no problem and i do know where to get this kinda stuff and have personally used them so quality is good.
Npad
post Jan 18 2017, 01:38 PM

Casual
356 posts

QUOTE(desxerre @ Jan 18 2017, 01:04 PM)
side note, i have this idea for awhile now nothing to do with personal training etc. but I was thinking of starting up an online store selling lifting tools etc i.e weight belts, straps, knee sleeves, chalk block, foam roller, lacrosse balls etc for an affordable price range. Do you guys think there's a market for this here? I'm a web designer myself so setting up the site is no problem and i do know where to get this kinda stuff and have personally used them so quality is good.
Do you mean something like Fitness League, SIG, SA, or Zealfit? It would be interesting and quite competitive IMO if you could bring in other brands into the country. Brands like Inzer, Best belt, Rogue, etc.

This post has been edited by Npad: Jan 18 2017, 02:08 PM
murv90
post Jan 18 2017, 02:38 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(desxerre @ Jan 18 2017, 01:04 PM)
It's quite competitive and depend on how you market the products and IMO if it's OEM there's like so much competition with so many online resellers doing them, your best bet would be like the above post mentioned to bring in branded things from overseas and sell at lowest price possible.
Steven_aka_G
post Jan 19 2017, 11:14 AM

On my way
519 posts

It might seem shallow, but decent lady trainers tend to be more popular on social media as compared to the average decent male trainer. Make use of that and create a following.
ah_suknat
post Mar 7 2017, 05:13 AM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

Do you emphasize on gym training? Why not try outdoor bootcamps, majority of ladies love group exercises and socialize among their workout group.

Something like bodyweigt circuit training works well too.
Fill in some kick boxing cardio and stuff, ladies love varieties as well.

I am a freelance independant fitness trainer and all of my clients are ladies tho i am a guy.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:27 AM