Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Buy new UHD TV or Repair my Samsung 51 inch Smart?

views

TSls71
post Jan 15 2017, 12:33 AM, updated 8y ago

40 posts

My beloved Samsung 51 inches 5500 plasma TV kaput few days ago, not sure it was because of power surged or Products defect as it is only 2 years 2 months old. Really Upset as Plasma TV NO longer available in Market.

Samsung quoted me RM2k for the replacement of panel. Did some survey on UHD TV and it would cost me from 2.5k-4k depend the model if I decide to go for new set.

Would like to get some experience from the EXPERT here is it worth to spend RM2k to replace my Plasma TV panel as I like the PQ of plasma.

I am making a statement that PQ of UHD TV below 4k are below Full HD of Plasma. Anybody have view on this.

Thanks for you guy's view in Advance.
AVFAN
post Jan 15 2017, 01:25 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(ls71 @ Jan 15 2017, 12:33 AM)
My beloved Samsung 51 inches 5500 plasma TV kaput few days ago, not sure it was because of power surged or Products defect as it is only 2 years 2 months old. Really Upset as Plasma TV NO longer available in Market.

Samsung quoted me RM2k for the replacement of panel. Did some survey on UHD TV and it would cost me from 2.5k-4k depend the model if I decide to go for new set.

Would like to get some experience from the EXPERT here is it worth to spend RM2k to replace my Plasma TV panel  as I like the PQ of plasma.

I am making a statement that PQ of UHD TV below 4k are below Full HD of Plasma. Anybody have view on this.

Thanks for you guy's view in Advance.
Only 2 years old?
2 years ago, plasma was already gone for almost all brands.... u bought an old model then?

Your statement about uhd4k... what videos do u usually watch?
Did u watch the same video on plasma and then a couple of uhdtv, same size?
Which brands, models of uhdtv u hv checked?
Do u use online streaming much?
TSls71
post Jan 15 2017, 07:25 AM

40 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 15 2017, 01:25 AM)
Only 2 years old?
2 years ago, plasma was already gone for almost all brands.... u bought an old model then?

Your statement about uhd4k... what videos do u usually watch?
Did u watch the same video on plasma and then a couple of uhdtv, same size?
Which brands, models of uhdtv u hv checked?
Do u use online streaming much?
Yes, I would say the set that I bought was the last batch of Samsung Plasma TV before plasma went disappear from market.

I normally watch online TV via IPTV. The feature that I like very much about Plasma TV is the "texture" of the picture, is more natural and not so bright ... and I have view few UHD at electrical workshop, all seem not bad with 4D source but again when mirroring with headphone and playing YouTube the quality of picture just not to my liking ... ie the picture seem like having a layer of "white film" on top of it compare to plasma (the unit that I view is Samsung basic UHD).

This post has been edited by ls71: Jan 15 2017, 07:26 AM
MEngineer
post Jan 15 2017, 10:38 AM

...Look at my stars...
850 posts

Buy new better. Everything new. You change the panel later other parts will fail also.
cedyy
post Jan 15 2017, 10:47 AM

Regular
1,351 posts

try reducing the backlight so that the whites do not look so bright
lj0000
post Jan 15 2017, 10:50 AM

Regular
1,689 posts

whats wrong with your plasma?
if simple parts can be repaired for rm200
AVFAN
post Jan 15 2017, 11:02 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(ls71 @ Jan 15 2017, 07:25 AM)
Yes, I would say the set that I bought was the last batch of Samsung Plasma TV before plasma went disappear from market.

I normally watch online TV via IPTV. The feature that I like very much about Plasma TV is the "texture" of the picture, is more natural and not so bright ... and I have view few UHD at electrical workshop, all seem not bad with 4D source but again when mirroring with headphone and playing YouTube the quality of picture just not to my liking ... ie the picture seem like having a layer of "white film" on top of it compare to plasma (the unit that I view is Samsung basic UHD).
like it or not, plasma tvs for the homes is history, like other obsolete technologies.

"led" uhd with hdr is moving ahead, 4k, then 8k.

so, better u accept it. biggrin.gif

but... not all 4k tv's are made the same.

some are early models, poor upscaling, poor smart features - for a low budget.

latest premium ones ones have good upscaling engines, hdr and use android 5 or 6.

these tv's upscale yr sd, 720p, 1080p videos well.

youtube, netflix come with 2160p selection.

depending on brand and model, the smart features can be equivalent to a rm500 android box u buy separately.

as for brightness, contrast, etc., there are several controls u can play with to set it to your liking. in the shops, they are usually set it to dynamic mode which is very bright becos the shop environment is bright. the test is in darkness - how good the bright and dark parts of a video come out in the dark.

you can see in this section... every few days, somebody starts a new thread and ask which tv to buy. while the skeptics for 4k tv's are still present, it is directionally correct. only a question of whether it is led backlit, oled, qled or moled. and like everything else, good things not cheap, cheap things not good.

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Jan 15 2017, 12:07 PM
GamersFamilia
post Jan 15 2017, 12:02 PM

Videogames Enthusiast , An Avid Gamer and Videogames Collector
All Stars
13,071 posts

buy new
Zoopdiidoo
post Jan 15 2017, 12:34 PM

Getting Started
216 posts

Tv panel makes up 90% of the tv. Might as well change to a new 55 inch led tv for 2.5 to 3k. Get those with 4 years warranty. Get to change panel 1 to 1 during that time period. For longevity get a 4k. Brace for future
TSls71
post Jan 15 2017, 01:06 PM

40 posts

QUOTE(lj0000 @ Jan 15 2017, 10:50 AM)
whats wrong with your plasma?
if simple parts can be repaired for rm200
Need to replace the entire panel. It will cost RM2k if I decided to do so.
rjflyguy
post Jan 15 2017, 01:12 PM

Casual
324 posts

Dear TS... If you live in lembah Klang area, maybe you can give this guy a call. He used to repair my Plasma TV few years back. I have 2 plasma, and of them decided to die that day. I went to several shop but some of them said cannot, and many of them wanted 1.5K to 2K for repairs.

I got this contact from a friend and the repairman successfully repaired my TV within few days and he only charged me 400.00++ including the spare parts.

The plasma works fine until today.... But I do not know whether he is still doing the repairs or not

Aji Shah Repair TV
Mobile: 017-3732170
Address: 4-G-19 Blok 19,Pangsapuri Melati,Jalan Metafasa U16/3, Taman Bukit Subang,40160 Shah Alam,Selangor
TSls71
post Jan 15 2017, 01:20 PM

40 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 15 2017, 11:02 AM)
like it or not, plasma tvs for the homes is history, like other obsolete technologies.

"led" uhd with hdr is moving ahead, 4k, then 8k.

so, better u accept it. biggrin.gif

but... not all 4k tv's are made the same.

some are early models, poor upscaling, poor smart features - for a low budget.

latest premium ones ones have good upscaling engines, hdr and use android 5 or 6.

these tv's upscale yr sd, 720p, 1080p videos well.

youtube, netflix come with 2160p selection.

depending on brand and model, the smart features can be equivalent to a rm500 android box u buy separately.

as for brightness, contrast, etc., there are several controls u can play with to set it to your liking. in the shops, they are usually set it to dynamic mode which is very bright becos the shop environment is bright. the test is in darkness - how good the bright and dark parts of a video come out in the dark.

you can see in this section... every few days, somebody starts a new thread and ask which tv to buy. while the skeptics for 4k tv's are still present, it is directionally correct. only a question of whether it is led backlit, oled, qled or moled. and like everything else, good things not cheap, cheap things not good.
While spending 2k for panel replacement seem not a viable option but still convincing myself UHD would a better option for me ...sad.gif

Thanks for the opinion and now spending some effort sruditudying which 55 inch UHD TV is the best and below RM4k ... hope able manage in identifying one right UHD and finally let go my sentiment on plasma ...

This post has been edited by ls71: Jan 15 2017, 01:20 PM
TSls71
post Jan 15 2017, 01:31 PM

40 posts

QUOTE(rjflyguy @ Jan 15 2017, 01:12 PM)
Dear TS...  If you live in lembah Klang area, maybe you can give this guy a call. He used to repair my Plasma TV few years back. I have 2 plasma, and of them decided to die that day. I went to several shop but some of them said cannot, and many of them wanted 1.5K to 2K for repairs.

I got this contact from a friend and the repairman successfully repaired my TV within few days and he only charged me 400.00++ including the spare parts.

The plasma works fine until today.... But I do not know whether he is still doing the repairs or not

Aji Shah Repair TV
Mobile: 017-3732170
Address: 4-G-19 Blok 19,Pangsapuri Melati,Jalan Metafasa U16/3, Taman Bukit Subang,40160 Shah Alam,Selangor
Thanks for the info. I also got his number from googling and called him 2 days ago (it shown how desperate I am to get my plasma fix as not longer available).

Nevertheless after I told him the Samsung Authorised service dealer diagnosed that my unit need for panel replacement then he said the panel replacement would cost a bomb and not easy for him looking for the part too ...

May give him a call or send him my unit to him for another check ...

By the way what part u replaced earlier?

This post has been edited by ls71: Jan 15 2017, 01:45 PM
rjflyguy
post Jan 15 2017, 03:11 PM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(ls71 @ Jan 15 2017, 01:31 PM)
Thanks for the info. I also got his number from googling and called him 2 days ago (it shown how desperate I am to get my plasma fix as not longer available).

Nevertheless after I told him the Samsung Authorised service dealer diagnosed that my unit need for panel replacement then he said the panel replacement would cost a bomb and not easy for him looking for the part too ...

May give him a call or send him my unit to him for another check ...

By the way what part u replaced earlier?
I can't remember specifically but my tv cannot switched on most of the time and when I could switched it on, it will switched off by itself after several seconds.

I remember there were 2 or 3 parts replaced by him.

ibwo
post Jan 15 2017, 06:43 PM

Casual
306 posts

Most tv has got error code usually by the number of times the power LED blink.

Panasonic is infamous with its 7 or 10 led blink error code. Imagine paying 3k and your tv only last for 3 years. That is like 1k per year, 80 per month. Crazily expensive.

My panasonic plasma died with error code 7 blinks led after 5 years.... Beautiful tv but with deadly design failure.
TSls71
post Jan 15 2017, 06:48 PM

40 posts

QUOTE(ibwo @ Jan 15 2017, 06:43 PM)
Most tv has got error code usually by the number of times the power LED blink.

Panasonic is infamous with its 7 or 10 led blink error code.  Imagine paying 3k and your tv only last for 3 years.  That is like 1k per year,  80 per month. Crazily expensive.

My panasonic plasma died with error code 7 blinks led after 5 years.... Beautiful tv but with deadly design failure.
My Samsung Plasma 51 inch is having 10 indicator blink now ... just passed 2 years warranty for 2 months ... it shown recent Samsung product's quality getting suck ... unlike my first plasma 43 inch which bought 8 years ago still functional well as of now ...

Samsung ua55ku6000 is one of my target now beside Sharp / Sony UHD, but very sceptical with Samsung's quality ... May not want to consider Samsung Products at all from now onwards ... losing confidence ...

This post has been edited by ls71: Jan 15 2017, 06:53 PM
soultaker
post Jan 15 2017, 06:51 PM

Regular
1,323 posts

Repair only if it's cheap. RM2k doesn't seem cheap. Below RM500 is acceptable depend on the faulty part. Else just get new one with warranty.
paranoidandroid
post Mar 13 2017, 09:36 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

QUOTE(ls71 @ Jan 15 2017, 06:48 PM)
My Samsung Plasma 51 inch is having 10 indicator blink now ... just passed 2 years warranty for 2 months ... it shown recent Samsung product's quality getting suck ... unlike my first plasma 43 inch which bought 8 years ago still functional well as of now ...

Samsung ua55ku6000 is one of my target now beside Sharp / Sony UHD, but very sceptical with Samsung's quality ... May not want to consider Samsung Products at all from now onwards ... losing confidence ...
I have the exact same model. 2 years 3 monhts. It all started after i upgraded to the latest firmware. Vertical lines started showing up. I got a strong feeling the firmware could have been the culprit. It seems like there is no way to downgrade it. I must agree with u, samsung's quality is going down the drain.
avantasia
post Mar 14 2017, 08:41 AM

a while in dreamland!!!
2,827 posts

Buy a new 4k UHD TV la.....55" price less than 5k
kucuboy
post Oct 11 2017, 10:32 AM

On my way
693 posts

I have the exact same model. Sadly, My panel display also kaput Samsung quote me RM1.7k to replace it. I just need the damn tv to last until OLED tv prices come down in price to about 5k for brand new unit and can add extended warranty to it. TV repairs getting ridiculous.
Picture quality wise, I still believe OLED> Plasma>LED/ LCD

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0155sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:18 PM