Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

MPU in A LEVELS, need help :(

views

TSVeggielover
post Jan 13 2017, 06:32 PM, updated 8y ago

19 posts

Hello guyss. My college said that if anyone plans to go overseas to further their studies have to take the MPU subjects together with their a levels subjects.
I'm planning to go overseas like Aus or Singapore after my a levels and do I need to take MPU subjects? Because I really have no idea about this MPU subject thing and is it really compulsory if i plan to apply for overseas unis? My college said that when I register for my Student Visa, they require a pass in the MPU subjects...so any advice? Did any of you guys take the MPU subjects during a levels?? And did any of you guys are studying overseas now without taking the MPU subjects during your a levels?
Please help sad.gif Thank you so much!!
iSean
post Jan 13 2017, 11:34 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Veggielover @ Jan 13 2017, 06:32 PM)
Hello guyss. My college said that if anyone plans to go overseas to further their studies have to take the MPU subjects together with their a levels subjects.
I'm planning to go overseas like Aus or Singapore after my a levels and do I need to take MPU subjects? Because I really have no idea about this MPU subject thing and is it really compulsory if i plan to apply for overseas unis? My college said that when I register for my Student Visa, they require a pass in the MPU subjects...so any advice? Did any of you guys take the MPU subjects during a levels?? And did any of you guys are studying overseas now without taking the MPU subjects during your a levels?
Please help sad.gif Thank you so much!!
Which college you are attending?
Basically it is mostly bullcrap, where students must complete all MPU before moving to Overseas for further studies.
You must know, some do not even offer students for it like TARC or Sunway College.

Anyway do tell me your A-level subjects, and what you plan to do in the future tho.

Regarding the MPU, there are basically 4 types : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mata_Pelajaran_Umum
If your college offer it for free. Basically go for it. If it is not included in your tuition fees .
Don't even bother plan to take it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mata_Pelajaran_Umum
"Although it is said that MPU is compulsory subject, only at certificate level when desire to further studies in other countries, students are able to choose whether or not to take on MPU as the subjects proposed are a basic requirement for Malaysia public universities or government career jobs, therefore Malaysian students who do not intend to work in health professions such as pharmacists, doctors, physiotherapists, etc. can choose to not take MPU as it does not require undergraduate students to work in government locations unless the students are thinking of working in a government facility. Malaysian students who want to go abroad for studies in health professions are required to take MPU subjects or else when graduated from foreign universities, graduates cannot returned to register as a health professional in Malaysia.
Those who are undertaking STPM and Malaysian Matriculation Program are mandatory to take Pengajian Am (PA) which is general studies equivalent of MPU at certificate level, therefore does not require to take MPU.
Credits taken at different study levels which are undergraduate, diploma and certificate cannot be transfer as the subjects taught are non-equivalent to the other.
Foundation studies are in according to their own respective universities.
GCE A Level general studies and MPU are different."

Personally I'm from MCKL, we only took U2 & U4. Where we do Social Works and Stuff.
Others you can go to your Degree in Malaysia to complete.
Which is included in our students fees.
nothintodo
post Jan 14 2017, 09:10 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Jan 13 2017, 11:34 PM)
Personally I'm from MCKL, we only took U2 & U4. Where we do Social Works and Stuff.
Others you can go to your Degree in Malaysia to complete.
Which is included in our students fees.
wait.. so mckl's "character formation" and "service learning" are considered u2 & u4 subjects?
iSean
post Jan 14 2017, 09:31 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(nothintodo @ Jan 14 2017, 09:10 AM)
wait.. so mckl's "character formation" and "service learning" are considered u2 & u4 subjects?
I think is U4 mostly. Not U2.
Because the MPU thing wasn't well explained to us A level students. But since TARC and Sunway didn't offered it. So I thought there is no need to bother.
nothintodo
post Jan 14 2017, 09:46 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Jan 14 2017, 09:31 AM)
I think is U4 mostly. Not U2.
Because the MPU thing wasn't well explained to us A level students. But since TARC and Sunway didn't offered it. So I thought there is no need to bother.
ok... what i gather from the wiki article is that each subject brings certain credit points.

so how much credit points do we need exactly?
iSean
post Jan 14 2017, 09:50 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(nothintodo @ Jan 14 2017, 09:46 AM)
ok... what i gather from the wiki article is that each subject brings certain credit points.

MCKL ah? Just let the MPU Department settle. Can liao.
They give you the certificate then exempted from the Uni.
iSean
post Jan 14 2017, 09:50 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(nothintodo @ Jan 14 2017, 09:46 AM)

nothintodo
post Jan 14 2017, 09:54 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Jan 14 2017, 09:50 AM)
HAHA but i didn't take malaysian studies. too lazy to take 3 hours of malaysian studies during a SATURDAY whistling.gif
iSean
post Jan 14 2017, 10:02 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(nothintodo @ Jan 14 2017, 09:54 AM)
HAHA but i didn't take malaysian studies. too lazy to take 3 hours of malaysian studies during a SATURDAY  whistling.gif
TITAS and Malaysian Studies, that one basically go buy book and read only basically.

I only did the Character Formation and Service Learning. And didn't bother edi.
As long they give me a "Certificate" until now haven't get one. Suan liao.
TSVeggielover
post Jan 14 2017, 11:04 AM

19 posts

I'm taking Alvls in KDU Penang. And I'm taking bio,chem,phy, and mathematics. I'm thinking of going into the healthcare sector, plan to study in an oversea uni and working overseas, not really planning to come back and work... And I called a education counsellor and he too said that it's pointless taking the MPU subjects if I want to go overseas. For my college, the MPU subjects are not offered for free, we have to pay extra D:

This post has been edited by Veggielover: Jan 14 2017, 11:05 AM
iSean
post Jan 14 2017, 03:01 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Veggielover @ Jan 14 2017, 11:04 AM)
I'm taking Alvls in KDU Penang. And I'm taking bio,chem,phy, and mathematics. I'm thinking of going into the healthcare sector, plan to study in an oversea uni and working overseas, not really planning to come back and work... And I called a education counsellor and he too said that it's pointless taking the MPU subjects if I want to go overseas. For my college, the MPU subjects are not offered for free, we have to pay extra D:
KDU Penang ah. Shouldn't be that technically bad.
"Government" Healthcare Sector then you can't really run away tho.
If one day you decided to come back here, not liking the career overseas in 1st world countries.

Private Sector for Healthcare line under Malaysia also might can or cannot run away.
But judging from those students from TARC and Sunway A-Levels, who didn't took up the program and end up in those fields overseas I guess is rather "okay", but that's my opinion.

Also who knows you might not be able to go overseas eventually and forced to stay here, like those who planned to studied A-Levels. sweat.gif

But technically if you paid to study them, might as well do it completely in your first semester in A-Levels.
As the second and third semester it will be really hell.

This post has been edited by iSean: Jan 14 2017, 03:02 PM
TSVeggielover
post Jan 14 2017, 09:31 PM

19 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Jan 14 2017, 03:01 PM)

Haha...yeah I know it's really stressful, difficult and just basically hell. I'll try my best smile.gif And hopefully I can cope with it... Btw, do alvls students really have to study all day every day and have no free time? I mean like, literally no free time. Or with proper time management skills, you can enjoy your alvls and your personal life? ohmy.gif
iSean
post Jan 14 2017, 09:42 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Veggielover @ Jan 14 2017, 09:31 PM)

Haha...yeah I know it's really stressful, difficult and just basically hell. I'll try my best smile.gif And hopefully I can cope with it... Btw, do alvls students really have to study all day every day and have no free time? I mean like, literally no free time. Or with proper time management skills, you can enjoy your alvls and your personal life? ohmy.gif
Remember, there are Singaporeans studying a harder Cambridge A-Level syllabus, and Malaysians from intermediate income family have no choice to study for STPM, which has ridiculous timing problem in their exams, and some of the teachers there just read textbook like Secondary School.

You must remember you are lucky that your parents can afford A-Levels.
Try not to screw up, oh yeah, getting into Medics ah, Try aim for 3A*s.
It is possible but it is hell.

I personally didn't stay in Accommodation for my A-Level, and I'm a slow learner, if Physics is eating most of your time, I guess you can consider to drop it, IF PROVIDED it doesn't affect your entry requirements.

If you prepared well from now Sem 1 to A2. You will be on the right track.
Moreover, you are taking January Intake, hence if any screwed up happens, you can just retake your A-Level again during Oct/Nov in 2018.
But if you slack until Sem 2 to start. You will be in great trouble and get a string of Bs and Cs normally. sweat.gif

Mathematics and Physics was a struggle as I can't cope, and my lecturer was just reading everything from the textbook.

Do ask me question if you have struggle in Chemistry or Biology for AS. Physics and Mathematics wise, I can't do much help to you.
iSean
post Jan 14 2017, 09:42 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(Veggielover @ Jan 14 2017, 09:31 PM)

Remember, there are Singaporeans studying a harder Cambridge A-Level syllabus, and Malaysians from intermediate income family have no choice to study for STPM, which has ridiculous timing problem in their exams, and some of the teachers there just read textbook like Secondary School.

You must remember you are lucky that your parents can afford A-Levels.
Try not to screw up, oh yeah, getting into Medics ah, Try aim for 3A*s.
It is possible but it is hell.

I personally didn't stay in Accommodation for my A-Level, and I'm a slow learner, if Physics is eating most of your time, I guess you can consider to drop it, IF PROVIDED it doesn't affect your entry requirements.
And travelling to and from home to college was always roughly around an hour plus.

If you prepared well from now Sem 1 to A2. You will be on the right track.
Moreover, you are taking January Intake, hence if any screwed up happens, you can just retake your A-Level again during Oct/Nov in 2018.
But if you slack until Sem 2 to start. You will be in great trouble and get a string of Bs and Cs normally. sweat.gif

Mathematics and Physics was a struggle as I can't cope, and my lecturer was just reading everything from the textbook.

Do ask me question if you have struggle in Chemistry or Biology for AS. Physics and Mathematics wise, I can't do much help to you.

This post has been edited by iSean: Jan 14 2017, 09:43 PM
TSVeggielover
post Jan 15 2017, 10:45 AM

19 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Jan 14 2017, 09:42 PM)

Haha yeah, I always remind myself that Singaporeans' alvls are way tougher and harder, that's why I'm like, 'I better do well and not screw up >:(' and I am grateful that my parents allow me to take alvls smile.gif and that they're very supportive. Thank you and I will definitely ask you whenever I have questions! biggrin.gif Thanks again, kind stranger! smile.gif)
jasperpkh
post Oct 22 2017, 01:47 AM

Getting Started
117 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Jan 14 2017, 10:02 AM)
TITAS and Malaysian Studies, that one basically go buy book and read only basically.

I only did the Character Formation and Service Learning. And didn't bother edi.
As long they give me a "Certificate" until now haven't get one. Suan liao.
Hi ISean, did you get back your certs?
iSean
post Oct 22 2017, 02:46 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(jasperpkh @ Oct 22 2017, 01:47 AM)
Hi ISean, did you get back your certs?
Yes gotten my MCKL's MPU Transcript.
- Service Learning - Failed
- Character Formation - Passed

Just go to the Registrar Office to request, wait a few days and collect, basically.

Technically it is not transferable into "University Degree".
Also for MCKL A-Levels, it is optional if you don't want to register for the subjects. (Which is now stated in the MCKL website doh.gif )

Because you will be doing it again in your degree life.
For all 4 units.
Unit 1 : TITAS & Hubungan Etnik
Unit 2 : Depends on University
Unit 3 : Depends on University
Unit 4 : Co-curricular Activities

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.53    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:43 PM