Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> MacBook Pro Retina with touch bar User Thread V3, All you can feedback here as well

views

iStand_store
post May 6 2018, 05:24 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(domcobb @ May 6 2018, 02:34 PM)
Hey guys.

I hope those of you who owns either the MacBook Pro with touch bar or without, can shed some light on my question, regarding the system file size of macOS High Sierra.

So I was at Machine yesterday and when I looked into the system file size, there was a huge difference between the 2 MacBook Pros!

MacBook Pro without touch bar = 9.97GB
MacBook Pro with touch bar = 66.67GB

That is the file size of merely the system alone. Everything else i.e. documents, photos, video, etc are of the same size between the 2 machines.

My question is, why does the same macOS has different storage requirement?

Much appreciate, to those who replied!
the system size for each models are more or less the same, my guess is that probably the other one with larger system size has time machine switched on.
iStand_store
post May 6 2018, 05:29 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ May 5 2018, 07:44 PM)
i prefer the butterfly keyboard than the old one. after i used the butterfly keyboard and to switch back to old one, totally i cannot get used to the old one.  icon_idea.gif
lol same here, the key travel is just enough for what it should be, everything look so primitive when i look back at my macbook air 13 (btw still a great machine)
iStand_store
post May 6 2018, 05:41 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ May 6 2018, 05:33 PM)
macbook air the bezels are just too thick to be appreciated. as well as its non-retina display.
yea same goes to <2016 mbp with think black bezels and the body size, the new macbook pro = best combination of Air + Pro.
iStand_store
post Jul 20 2018, 11:01 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(RiriRuruRara @ Jul 17 2018, 05:20 PM)
But my budget cannot go any higher then 128gb.. cry.gif
It is either a 128gb macbook pro for me or windows laptop...
My concern will be how much space will the Mac Os will fill up in the future? If the mac os wont take more then 30% i think can manage, just need to delete program that i seldom use or put in cloud. But if the mac os takes up a large shunk of that 128gb then that is a problem..
macos system size actually reduced or maintained the same over major updates, theres no need to worry about it

128gb is still very sufficient for most normal users, and if you utilise cloud storage then i dont see why 128gb should be a problem, but if for intense user, 128gb is definitely not enough, 5 1080p movie will take up half of the space already, a cheap cheap external hard disk is a great solution for unimportant file

This post has been edited by iStand_store: Jul 20 2018, 11:06 AM
iStand_store
post Jul 20 2018, 04:10 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(RiriRuruRara @ Jul 20 2018, 02:38 PM)
Ya just wanted to know will in the future will the macOs its 20gb space or is it going to grow larger. If i have about 100gb free space for my stuff i think it is about enough. Get the 50gb package from icloud also will be much cheaper then the 256gb macbook. Is video editing for youtube videos consider a intense user???
forget the 128gb if youre going to do video editing
iStand_store
post Sep 13 2018, 06:42 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(MooTikPin @ Sep 11 2018, 10:01 PM)
Updated version , feels better
All foc , because for my unit the battery also got recall
But the girl there told me that to replace the battery must replace the keyboard also or vice verse. Forgotten dy.
how long did it take?
iStand_store
post Jan 21 2019, 04:26 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(tutuyao @ Dec 19 2018, 03:17 PM)
I just have my MBP 15 2016 replaced with new keyboard. They swap the whole top case with battery.

And I notice that they replaced it with 2017's version keyboard too. but i don't think it has the latest 2018 keyboard that comes with the membrane to block out the dusts.

whole process took me 5 working days.

port wise, i cant tell the difference because i pakai all the ports to charge depending on the position because i always carry it out.

but did you notice some difference in color. as in the space grey of the top case looks a bit darker than the rest of the body? like the top lid and the bottom cover?

apple center staff told me because the case is new, belum oxidize lagi  laugh.gif
did they factory reset your macbook too? i thought they would just log in as guest user to run diagnostic

iStand_store
post Jan 21 2019, 04:40 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(tutuyao @ Jan 21 2019, 04:35 PM)
For my case, I had some problem with the bootcamp installation too due to hard disk format issue so they do it together. Others I'm not sure
oh ok, going to do a latest backup before sending over for replacement.
iStand_store
post Jan 21 2019, 09:29 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(tutuyao @ Jan 21 2019, 04:57 PM)
Better do it. My concern is what happen after 4 years from my date of purchase and the keyboard start to give me problem again.. hmm.gif

And online says even the 3rd gen butterfly still suffer from the same issue... doh.gif
could be just minority, even if it happens nothing to be worried about as the root cause is that dust/debris getting inside keyboard too easily, simply clean or blow a bit will do ( a simple quick fix for stuck keys issue i am doing it to my current 2016 mbp too it works but just doh.gif )

btw how worse was your case? mine just getting stuck key and sticky when machine gets warm, a bit worry they will just replace certain keys instead of whole keyboard.
iStand_store
post Jan 22 2019, 11:06 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(tutuyao @ Jan 21 2019, 10:23 PM)
i got multiple keys happen to have double or triple entry, and clicking noise when the laptop gets hot, especially when the gpu starts running (the radeon gpu)

there are some "stubborn" dust that just cant get it out easily no matter what i do. i even open up the butterfly key caps and the whole butterfly mechanism, vacuum and shoot pressurized air, it just doesn't work because the dust got stuck inside the key, a silver metal thingy that i could not remove..
thats pretty bad, for stubborn dust or debris that stuck inside the part need to use something to pick it out, kinda troublesome for having to do it once in a while

did the staff diagnose on the spot and let know if they are going to replace keys or whole keyboard straight away after that?

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1007sec    1.95    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd February 2020 - 10:40 PM