Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

swollen battery on asus laptop, x554lj, touchpad deformed

views

TSedr1c
post Jan 11 2017, 04:51 PM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
222 posts

as title, my friend suspect a swollen battery in my laptop after seeing my deformed touchpad
the battery model nowadays not removable, hence have to send to service center.

anyone can provide a rough estimate on the cost to change the battery
(aside from inspection fee rm100, and assuming the issue is swollen battery)

a rough idea on the deformed touchpad, the lefthand side of the touchpad is sort of skewered upwards a lil over 1.3 cm, observed the deformation started around 6 months in after purchase but thought it was due to poor workmanship (for a 1700myr laptop, i'm not biased, but please dont get me wrong on the expectation of budget laptop).

could use some advice here, thank you!
pandera999
post Jan 12 2017, 06:15 PM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

QUOTE(edr1c @ Jan 11 2017, 04:51 PM)
as title, my friend suspect a swollen battery in my laptop after seeing my deformed touchpad

a rough idea on the deformed touchpad, the lefthand side of the touchpad is sort of skewered upwards a lil over 1.3 cm, observed the deformation started around 6 months in after purchase but thought it was due to poor workmanship (for a 1700myr laptop, i'm not biased, but please dont get me wrong on the expectation of budget laptop).

i was thinking this is due to bad units. not sure if other user facing same issues as urs... but, you can ask service center how much the battery. nod.gif
afiq10
post Jan 16 2017, 04:37 PM

Casual
394 posts

wow same to me recently.. X554L(my model)... battery was swollen.. after 2 years of usage..

battery replacement cost was RM450 (for me).. very expensive.. the shop guy told me the battery was about to explode.. lmao..

at the end of the day.. i didn't replace the battery..

This post has been edited by afiq10: Jan 16 2017, 04:38 PM
afiq10
post Jan 16 2017, 05:23 PM

Casual
394 posts

QUOTE(edr1c @ Jan 11 2017, 04:51 PM)

QUOTE(dr.walsonchin @ Jan 16 2017, 04:54 PM)
i am using this model as well. thats  doh.gif
Attached Image

Attached Image
TSedr1c
post Jan 16 2017, 09:07 PM

Getting Started
222 posts

i'm thinking if we can lodge some report to mcmc on our issue for the swollen battery, do you think we'll get something back? this is because i mailed asus helpdesk to ask if there's any related issue on this model and they didnt give me any solid reply on the matter, says i cant claim warranty also (although the bump found within the warranty period, i didnt realize it until after 1 year my friend told me its a swollen one)

QUOTE(afiq10 @ Jan 16 2017, 04:37 PM)
wow same to me recently.. X554L(my model)... battery was swollen.. after 2 years of usage..

battery replacement cost was RM450 (for me).. very expensive.. the shop guy told me the battery was about to explode.. lmao..

at the end of the day.. i didn't replace the battery..
hi afiq, sorry to hear you have the same issue.. so what happened to yours now? you replaced it outside asus center? is it reliable to get 3rd party's battery to replace?

This post has been edited by edr1c: Jan 16 2017, 09:10 PM
yy9510
post Jun 1 2017, 05:29 PM

1 posts

I faced the same problem with my A555LA. Asus refused to repair FOC. They said it is out of warranty. How can one discovered the swollen battery because it was built in. One must wait until the touch pad noticeably bulge up to find the problem. By that time the battery already out of warranty. ( 1 year )
schivookh
post Dec 12 2017, 07:35 PM

21 posts

i advise don't buy this asus lap top series anymore as me also have the same battery faulty (swelling) .. guess its not an isolated issue??

p/s .. is it advisable to use compatible battery as the original are expensive and no guarantee its not swell again??
say_it
post Oct 16 2018, 03:53 PM

On my way
521 posts

My Asus X series laptop having the same issue, by the time I notice the swollen battery, the warranty was over as this series only provided 1 year warranty.

I think I will not buy Asus laptop again sad.gif

rx4r
post Oct 22 2018, 05:35 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

QUOTE(say_it @ Oct 16 2018, 03:53 PM)
My Asus X series laptop having the same issue, by the time I notice the swollen battery, the warranty was over as this series only provided 1 year warranty.

I think I will not buy Asus laptop again  sad.gif
ya had bad experience with Asus laptops, quality is not good after long term
TommyNorway
post Jan 17 2019, 08:02 AM

1 posts

Hi! I registered just to add to this post.

In the first half of 2015, I purchased (at about 3 months space in-between) two laptops of the model ASUS F555LA DM703H. One of them started to bulge below the trackpad and it gradually got worse and worse after the summer of 2018. Now it is so badly bulged that the trackpad is useless. The same problem also suddenly showed in the second laptop, which was barely used. We're talking grandma style usage, careful use once or twice a week or so just for a few minutes.

It would seem to be due to Asus using faulty battery packs, probably, but the laptops are damaged beyond repair by these bad components selected by Asus.

I attached a photo showing the two laptops. Since we have five years of "warranty by law" here, I am currently arguing with the store to have them replaced.

Hope it helps someone else.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
afiq10
post Jan 19 2019, 04:19 PM

Casual
394 posts

QUOTE(edr1c @ Jan 16 2017, 09:07 PM)
i'm thinking if we can lodge some report to mcmc on our issue for the swollen battery, do you think we'll get something back? this is because i mailed asus helpdesk to ask if there's any related issue on this model and they didnt give me any solid reply on the matter, says i cant claim warranty also (although the bump found within the warranty period, i didnt realize it until after 1 year my friend told me its a swollen one)
hi afiq, sorry to hear you have the same issue.. so what happened to yours now? you replaced it outside asus center? is it reliable to get 3rd party's battery to replace?
Sorry late reply hahaha 1 year late.. In the end i never replaced them.. Pull out the internal battery and plugged in the charger..

QUOTE(TommyNorway @ Jan 17 2019, 08:02 AM)

In the first half of 2015, I purchased (at about 3 months space in-between) two laptops of the model ASUS F555LA DM703H. One of them started to bulge below the trackpad and it gradually got worse and worse after the summer of 2018. Now it is so badly bulged that the trackpad is useless. The same problem also suddenly showed in the second laptop, which was barely used. We're talking grandma style usage, careful use once or twice a week or so just for a few minutes.

It would seem to be due to Asus using faulty battery packs, probably, but the laptops are damaged beyond repair by these bad components selected by Asus.

I attached a photo showing the two laptops. Since we have five years of "warranty by law" here, I am currently arguing with the store to have them replaced.

ASUS so bad omg.. i dont recommend anyone anymore about ASUS.. i have no idea why top brand like asus sucks..

go try tribunal/mcmc and see how it goes.. the battery could of had explode..

would appreciate if u keep updating it..
acbc
post Jan 19 2019, 04:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

Avoid all laptops with built in batteries. I've few units of Asus laptops and tablets. All batteries swollen after 2 years of usage. Replacement too damn expensive so I threw away the battery and used AC adaptor only.
ZM Fong
post Jan 19 2019, 05:20 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Jan 19 2019, 04:24 PM)
Avoid all laptops with built in batteries
Unfortunately most laptops nowadays have built in battery
ZM Fong
post Jan 19 2019, 05:21 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(afiq10 @ Jan 19 2019, 04:19 PM)
i have no idea why top brand like asus sucks..
Because downgrade in build quality (many brands have the same problem too, with Asus being the most noticeable one) and warranty service compared to a fee years ago

They have a few decent models (from Zenbook and ROG lineup) but yeah, you need to pray that it will last (heard a lot of horror stories of dead Asus laptops after 1-2 years)

This post has been edited by ZM Fong: Jan 19 2019, 05:24 PM
afiq10
post Jan 19 2019, 05:38 PM

Casual
394 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Jan 19 2019, 05:21 PM)
Because downgrade in build quality (many brands have the same problem too, with Asus being the most noticeable one) and warranty service compared to a fee years ago

They have a few decent models (from Zenbook and ROG lineup) but yeah, you need to pray that it will last (heard a lot of horror stories of dead Asus laptops after 1-2 years)
well my GPU laptop died.. and it was asus..

laptop cannot detect gpu anymore even in device manager ... its missing..
Zengobag
post Jan 27 2019, 01:19 PM

1 posts

Guess what?? My ASUS X555L model.... lol Attached Image

This post has been edited by Zengobag: Jan 27 2019, 01:20 PM
Uncle Toby
post Jan 27 2019, 01:29 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

wow just planning to buy asus laptop.. my old 2011 asus laptop still working fine (not bulit in battery) . i taught going to upgrade to new asus.. it seem dangerous.
System Error Message
post Jan 27 2019, 01:48 PM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(TommyNorway @ Jan 17 2019, 08:02 AM)

QUOTE(afiq10 @ Jan 19 2019, 04:19 PM)
Sorry late reply hahaha 1 year late.. In the end i never replaced them.. Pull out the internal battery and plugged in the charger..
ASUS so bad omg.. i dont recommend anyone anymore about ASUS.. i have no idea why top brand like asus sucks..

go try tribunal/mcmc and see how it goes.. the battery could of had explode..

would appreciate if u keep updating it..
Its not that asus sucks, even samsung has the problem as well. Its not the problem with the brand but rather the battery design which i will explain.

Malaysia has a humidity of 80%, right at the limits of design tolerance of electronic. The higher humidity shortens the battery life because water eventually seeps in and the water causes a bit of shorts that causes the lithium to react which causes the cell to expand. The cells are designed to expand to a certain extent before they finally die rather than exploding. My advice is to get replacement OEM batteries instead of genuine. OEM ones should have less capacity but are less susceptible to humidity damage because they cant produce the batteries with the same tight tolerances as genuine manufacturers.

Even if the cell is built in you can replace it. many laptops have the cells on the inside that you can just take out easily. If soldered on can also be replaced too. Phone batteries are much lighter so apple has them integrated instead in a way you cant expect to solder a new one on, laptop batteries are heavier so the same method cant be used.

Because of asus brand their laptops get overpriced.

This post has been edited by System Error Message: Jan 27 2019, 01:49 PM
Dhang
post Jan 27 2019, 03:11 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(Zengobag @ Jan 27 2019, 01:19 PM)
Guess what??  My ASUS X555L model.... lol Attached Image
Oh my, when did you buy your laptop?
ryder_78
post Feb 2 2019, 08:20 AM

Regular
1,558 posts

My HP Elitebook is also showing the same bulge on the left side of the keyboard. Instead of a totally flat keyboard where you type on, the keyboard is now sloping upwards from right to left.

My HP Probook which i used in the office also had problem with the battery which was replaced. However the Probook didn't show the bulge on the keyboard. Now my personal Elitebook has this problem.

Look at the photo below. The left side of the keyboard has a bulge and is higher than the right side. I suspect the battery is the one that has expanded inside because the laptop now doesn't power up if i disconnect the power from the wall plug or power point outlet from the house. I can only switch on the laptop if it is connected to the power outlet of the house. If i unplug the laptop from the wall outlet, the laptop will not power up. That suggests the battery of the laptop is damaged already.

user posted image

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:36 PM