Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

International Roaming for Digi, advice pls

views

tympg
post Dec 30 2016, 03:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,104 posts

Now looking at the Discover HK site, they seem to imply extensive free WiFi at major tourist spots and public transport areas, so maybe Skype Out might just work. But I'm not sure what the minimum topup for Skype is currently. If it's too high it simply is not worth it.
wcypierre
post Dec 30 2016, 03:47 PM

Newbie Programmer
Group Icon
Elite
4,608 posts

QUOTE(tympg @ Dec 30 2016, 02:25 PM)
Don't you need access to WiFi you can log into before you can use VoWiFi?  If that's the case, that doesn't sound too convenient.
I did mention that the pretense is to have internet connectivity, though. Getting a wifi egg is not too expensive, and I believe there should be decent wifi coverage in HK as well. It is still a lot safer than using her postpaid to call (and accidentally enable data roaming and get charged a hefty fee for it).
tympg
post Dec 30 2016, 05:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,104 posts

QUOTE(wcypierre @ Dec 30 2016, 03:47 PM)
I did mention that the pretense is to have internet connectivity, though. Getting a wifi egg is not too expensive, and I believe there should be decent wifi coverage in HK as well. It is still a lot safer than using her postpaid to call (and accidentally enable data roaming and get charged a hefty fee for it).
I don't see how making a *111* call could accidentally trigger data roaming.
wcypierre
post Dec 30 2016, 07:26 PM

Newbie Programmer
Group Icon
Elite
4,608 posts

QUOTE(tympg @ Dec 30 2016, 05:29 PM)
I don't see how making a *111* call could accidentally trigger data roaming.
While it should not happen, but then if you lurk around you'll see people complaining about it. Just a few kb or mb used and you can be charged a lot. Especially if you're using postpaid like TS where they can be charged more as they have credit limit.

That is why you see most forumers recommending a 3rd party service which is safer for TS because it's on prepaid basis(even if you burn everything you'll just burn all your existing credit). Just to be on the safe side.
tympg
post Dec 30 2016, 11:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,104 posts

QUOTE(wcypierre @ Dec 30 2016, 07:26 PM)
While it should not happen, but then if you lurk around you'll see people complaining about it. Just a few kb or mb used and you can be charged a lot. Especially if you're using postpaid like TS where they can be charged more as they have credit limit.

That is why you see most forumers recommending a 3rd party service which is safer for TS because it's on prepaid basis(even if you burn everything you'll just burn all your existing credit). Just to be on the safe side.
I've roamed on postpaid so many years only one instance of misbilling of roaming data (switch off data at Gelang Patah but SingTel still detected use of 3G data in their territory, though ultimately RM3.xx charge waived by Maxis).

True I wouldn't trust roaming on today's Celcom First plans or Maxis One Plans, but Digi should be fine.
TSKasumie
post Jan 2 2017, 01:55 AM

On my way
613 posts

Thanks for everyone replies.

For you guys update, I'm using a prepaid card that is available at 7-eleven which is 80hkd. Then subscribe to the data plan with 1.5gb data. Call also cheap. Basically most of the tourist places in hkd has WiFi. Quite convenient too.

Lastly, Happy new year!
Raymond T.
post Jan 2 2017, 01:57 AM

Glock 19 Holder
1,147 posts

QUOTE(Kasumie @ Jan 2 2017, 01:55 AM)
Thanks for everyone replies.

For you guys update, I'm using a prepaid card that is available at 7-eleven which is 80hkd. Then subscribe to the data plan with 1.5gb data. Call also cheap. Basically most of the tourist places in hkd has WiFi. Quite convenient too.

Lastly, Happy new year!
Great, theres also alternative which is renting portable wifi and share among your friends or family.
kit2
post Oct 4 2017, 09:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,128 posts

QUOTE(prosibu @ Dec 28 2016, 11:02 AM)
Remember disable roaming voicemail.
Else, HK telco will charge digi then charge u for ppl enter voicemail when fail to call u.

Try *128# and look for it. I forgot the step d...
voicemail is stored by digi in malaysia, not in HK. HK telco does not charge digi if the call is unanswered.

i have many non-malaysian sim cards. none of the foreign telcos is as unethical as malaysian telcos.

This post has been edited by kit2: Oct 4 2017, 09:03 AM
khainiz94
post Oct 4 2017, 11:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,797 posts

You may subscribe to Roam Like Home while in Malaysia.
Got 5GB internet + 60 min local and back to Malaysia call. For me this is the best one to use your existing SIM.
If you are using package 80, only pay RM10/month.
If more than 110, free.
Below 80, RM30/month.
I have been using it for 6 months and using it in SG. So far so good.
Do make sure you connect to the correct telco. Only 3 Hutchison can be used on Roam Like Home.
If call mins finish cannot add the mins anymore. If not buy a local HK sim. Way better.
prosibu
post Oct 4 2017, 12:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,360 posts

QUOTE(kit2 @ Oct 4 2017, 09:02 AM)
voicemail is stored by digi in malaysia, not in HK. HK telco does not charge digi if the call is unanswered.

i have many non-malaysian sim cards. none of the foreign telcos is as unethical as malaysian telcos.
i wondering how many u have for ur non malaysia sim
but you can google that almost all telco implement this ( where charging the roaming user due to call is diverted to voicemail)

One of the article...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/voicemail-charges

last time i have checked 3GPP that it is chargeable for voicemail during roaming after i get charge from digi too.. but i am lazy to find the doc now blink.gif

just want to emphasize that malaysia telco is not always unethical biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by prosibu: Oct 4 2017, 12:15 PM
kit2
post Oct 4 2017, 02:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,128 posts

QUOTE(prosibu @ Oct 4 2017, 12:13 PM)
i wondering how many u have for ur non malaysia sim
but you can google that almost all telco implement this ( where charging the roaming user due to call is diverted to voicemail)

One of the article...

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/voicemail-charges
last time i have checked 3GPP that it is chargeable for voicemail during roaming after i get charge from digi too.. but i am lazy to find the doc now  blink.gif
just want to emphasize that malaysia telco is not always unethical  biggrin.gif
i have hk, taiwan, indonesia, india, thailand, singapore, vietnam. none of them charges the receiver for voicemail if he doesn't dial in and pickup later. malaysia is different. you, the receiver get charged regardless you dial
back and listen or not, and the rates are IDD even though their recording equipment is in malaysia! i'm fine if they charge the callers but not the receivers.

so if you read carefully, the article doesn't really support your argument.

furthermore, like in hk and taiwan, if you call someone and got diverted to voicemail, you get a greeting telling you to leave message after the beep and charging will start after that. in malaysia, the moment you are connected, *BAM* charging starts!

no country can beat malaysia in un-ethics!

prosibu
post Oct 4 2017, 05:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,360 posts

QUOTE(kit2 @ Oct 4 2017, 02:06 PM)
i have hk, taiwan, indonesia, india, thailand, singapore, vietnam. none of them charges the receiver for voicemail if he doesn't dial in and pickup later. malaysia is different. you, the receiver get charged regardless you dial
back and listen or not, and the rates are IDD even though their recording equipment is in malaysia! i'm fine if they charge the callers but not the receivers.

so if you read carefully, the article doesn't really support your argument.

furthermore, like in hk and taiwan, if you call someone and got diverted to voicemail, you get a greeting telling you to leave message after the beep and charging will start after that. in malaysia, the moment you are connected, *BAM* charging starts!

no country can beat malaysia in un-ethics!
im talking about receivers charge on voicemail calls. you have tested so many oversea telco sims but did you use them at roaming status?

u wont get charged if your sim card never attach to oversea operator.

For example, you travel to oversea, but never location update to oversea telco, u wont get charged if anyone called you and drop into voicemail
but if you location update once to any telco oversea and airplane mode it again, u will get charged if anyone reach your voicemail

Not to argue anything about the charging before deposit or once the beep sound appear as im not confirm about it too sad.gif
kit2
post Oct 21 2017, 06:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,128 posts

QUOTE(prosibu @ Oct 4 2017, 05:48 PM)
im talking about receivers charge on voicemail calls. you have tested so many oversea telco sims but did you use them at roaming status?

u wont get charged if your sim card never attach to oversea operator.

For example, you travel to oversea, but never location update to oversea telco, u wont get charged if anyone called you and drop into voicemail
but if you location update once to any telco oversea and airplane mode it again, u will get charged if anyone reach your voicemail

Not to argue anything about the charging before deposit or once the beep sound appear as im not confirm about it too  sad.gif
yes, i use all my cards from time to time to topup and check balance. if not how to keep them alive?

QUOTE(prosibu @ Oct 4 2017, 05:48 PM)
calls are rerouted to recording equipment in malaysia and no foreign network is involved. what is the justification for charging idd rates?

https://www.quora.com/Does-telecoms-charge-for-voicemail

voicemail charging is a business model not an industry standard. our telcos are robbers smile.gif

This post has been edited by kit2: Oct 21 2017, 07:06 PM
prosibu
post Oct 21 2017, 07:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,360 posts

QUOTE(kit2 @ Oct 21 2017, 06:45 PM)
yes, i use all my cards from time to time to topup and check balance. if not how to keep them alive?
calls are rerouted to recording equipment in malaysia and no foreign network is involved. what is the justification for charging idd rates?

https://www.quora.com/Does-telecoms-charge-for-voicemail

voicemail charging is a business model not an industry standard. our telcos are robbers smile.gif
Domestic voicemail charging is business model
Roaming voicemail charging is an industry standard

??
alanku
post Sep 11 2018, 06:56 AM

4 posts

I ALWAYS USING Digi network in Malaysia. But my advice if anyone frequent traveller. DIGI ROAMING OUTSIDE Malaysia is the worst. They only provide 4G network with 3G speed.usually 0.1mbps speed up link and download. It is only enough for text and cheating
I have a very bad experiment using Digi in China Korea Thailand and more.

veron4best
post Sep 20 2018, 08:20 PM

Regular
1,146 posts

may i know is MAXIS RM1 roaming annual is good deal?

As MIL frequent johor-singapore on biz basis. and wish to have only 1 sim to travel around. Maxis RM158 with RM1 seem like a good deal for singapore roaming.
nachez
post Sep 20 2018, 09:26 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(Kasumie @ Dec 25 2016, 10:17 PM)
I will be traveling to Hong Kong next week and it's my first time travelling away from my 4 years old son. So I would like to call back home fixed line for maybe a few minutes talk with him.
My mother at home does not use smartphone so I can't wechat or whatsapp back.

I need advice how to subscribe to international roaming or what so to enable me to call back from HK. Usually how much does it charge per minute. Other than making a phone call I don't need data. So will I be charge only when making phone calls back or all time when roaming overseas. Pls advice as I'm not familiar with it. Thanks.

Edit: I'm using postpaid digi right now.
Subscribe to ROAM-LIKE-HOME RM30 per month, to avoid getting charge while abroad is by deactivate roaming voice mail( there 2 different voicemail which is local and roaming disable both )

Roaming Activation can be done through MyDiGi Apps.

What I can suggest is better you call DiGi Helpline and spoke with their Customer Service.

May I know your billing cycle date ? because roam like home non prorate charges.

Hope it help. flex.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0303sec    0.25    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:39 PM