Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Can 40-year-old man really make a comeback?, And resume his career as programmer?

views

TSMussel
post Dec 24 2016, 12:15 AM, updated 5y ago

Casual
433 posts

The Internet is still here, fortunately, since I stopped becoming as a programmer.
I am not familiar with web programming. I was more into native Windows x86 programming using VB.NET.

But can 40-year-old man really make a comeback and resume his career as programmer?
New technology emerges. Old technology faded out. I wish I could master web programming like PHP and ASP.NET a couple years ago, but now is probably too late. But it is never too late, some of you may argue.

What's your suggestion for me? I would still like to become a programmer because I love computer particularly the good old DOS and 16-bit Windows.
After all, I spent most of my time in programming. It was again because of incompetence, I switched my job industry to office clerk 9 years ago.

This post has been edited by Mussel: Sep 3 2019, 01:15 AM
narf03
post Dec 24 2016, 12:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,545 posts

depends on what kind of salary you are expecting, ppl most likely assume you are a fresh ones after stopping for 9 years, can u live with that kind of salary ?

If you stopped because of your incompetence, what makes you think you can do better this time ?

TSMussel
post Dec 24 2016, 01:10 AM

Casual
433 posts

QUOTE(narf03 @ Dec 24 2016, 12:57 AM)
depends on what kind of salary you are expecting, ppl most likely assume you are a fresh ones after stopping for 9 years, can u live with that kind of salary ?

If you stopped because of your incompetence, what makes you think you can do better this time ?
Those are good questions to ask myself. Thanks.
badumtssss
post Dec 24 2016, 01:14 AM

33 posts

since u have the basic knowledge, learning the new computer stuff should be easier . just go and learn it slowly and try to do something with it. theres no wrong in trying
TSMussel
post Dec 24 2016, 01:31 AM

Casual
433 posts

QUOTE(badumtssss @ Dec 24 2016, 01:14 AM)
since u have the basic knowledge, learning the new computer stuff should be easier . just go and learn it slowly and try to do something with it. theres no wrong in trying
I hope you're right. Thanks for the advice.

alien3d
post Dec 24 2016, 06:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(Mussel @ Dec 24 2016, 12:15 AM)
The Internet is still here, fortunately, since I stopped becoming as a programmer.
I am not familiar with web programming. I was more into native Windows x86 programming using VB.NET.

But can a 40-year-old man really make a comeback and resume his career as programmer?
New technology emerges. Old technology faded out. I wish I could master web programming like PHP and ASP.NET a couple years ago, but now is probably too late. But it is never too late, some of you may argue.

What's your suggestion for me? I would still like to become a programmer because I love computer particularly the good old DOS and 16-bit Windows.
After all, I spent most of my time in programming. It was again because of incompetence, I switched my job industry to Admin/Clerk 9 years ago.
vb.net.. not kinda old.
Are web getting nerf of console apps...

If you're admin, i suggest you focus doing some excel vsto .excel macro.
otakotak
post Dec 24 2016, 11:34 AM

Getting Started
278 posts

depend on what skill do you still have to cope with modern technologies concept and paradigm.
love computer is not enough to make a comeback. anyway, learning shouldn't stop either.
just discover all web technology stack 1st and see yourself how u feel about them.

This post has been edited by otakotak: Dec 24 2016, 11:34 AM
Moshpit94
post Dec 25 2016, 02:20 AM

Casual
341 posts

Actually vb.net still can be used since there's a few project of web (asp) are using vb net codebehind, but i still prefer you start learning c# or python.

Trust me, the key is basic logic knowledge u need to master then any language and how many years left you still can catch up things and added you were oldies programmer who did a lot of things manually and u should know today is just a simplified way to help developer from the manual e.g framework, lambda etc.

How do i say confidently you can? My manager used to graduate in comp science and then working in hr since fresh until 40s, now he's a manager in my team, although he is not like those indian programmer but still he do help us solved quite a number of problem in terms of technical by providing us some algorithm logic. He said he took 1 year to catch up new technology and decided to narrow down his specialities
WinkyJr
post Dec 29 2016, 04:26 PM

Casual
381 posts

try learn vanilla js and js lib like react/vue/angular/typescript
market keep going stronger

badai
post Dec 30 2016, 11:36 AM

Enthusiast
986 posts

why want to go for PHP/ASP when VB.net salary is much, much, much higher?
availyboy
post Dec 30 2016, 11:43 AM

So Prettay!
786 posts

If you still have the basics. No problem, shouldn't have trouble learning those languages anyhow.
*Programmer from year 2003 here* hehe transitioning
dewill
post Jan 4 2017, 12:09 AM

Regular
1,716 posts

Programming now adays if more in coc (convention over configuration) by using framework. Is more to concept that work rather than how good you can code.
dstl1128
post Jan 4 2017, 07:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,463 posts

" I was more into native Windows x86 programming using VB.NET....the good old DOS and 16-bit Windows."

Python on Linux. What are you waiting for?

GOPI56
post Jan 11 2017, 09:43 AM

Regular
1,396 posts

You need to catch up with current trends. There is a lot of programming updates and got some new version of the coding languages.
ragk
post Jan 12 2017, 11:47 AM

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

create some website for your portfolio, could be handy for interview as programmer. atleast that's a proof there u able to create website with new language
kayweng
post Jan 12 2017, 02:55 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

do you guys build a website for own portfolio ? sometimes, we may not good to exposure our client info to interviewer or new company.Hence, i lack of good way to explain my experiences during interview (beside what languages im using , system modules & job scope)
littlemix
post Jan 17 2017, 05:17 PM

34 posts

try to test yourself how to do a tree reserve sort else just retire.
pspnm
post Jan 19 2017, 06:35 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(oldman_coder @ Jan 19 2017, 05:42 PM)
I will be brutally honest with you.
It's not about your skills. It's about your age.

You're 40, way past the age mark that tech companies want to hire nowadays.

In Silicon Valley there's an unwritten rule that even neo-liberals cannot defend. Age discrimination or ageism.

In Asia, where employee/human rights are even worse, expect to be discriminated solely because of your age, regardless of your skill level.

That's why I gave up job-hunting and forced myself to be tech entrepreneur.

If you read some of the posts by programmers in this forum or other forums, if you're old enough and experienced enough to tell, these are the inexperienced, full of ego, know-it-alls who don't really know that much, would be the gatekeepers and deciding your suitability and the first thing you will be discriminated on is your age.

Google for 'ageism' in tech, and multiply that 3x and apply that discrimination in Asia.

That said, if you really like to code, no one's stopping you. Just don't expect to get much opportunities in job hunting given the current climate and low pay.
It's true. Below the age of 30, chances of one getting hired is significantly higher than those above 30. How did you get started becoming a tech entrepreneur? Was it tough?

TSMussel
post Aug 30 2019, 12:29 AM

Casual
433 posts

Thank you everyone for your tips and sound advice.

I think I believe there is such thing as Age discrimination. So, it is been 3 years since I asked this question, I am still not working in ICT industry. I am more into CCTV setup, play around with Xamarin forms, Web API, C#, and most importantly, I started my new career as delivery rider in 2017. Currently I am a delivery rider for spare parts shop, while experiment coding here and there during my free time.

This post has been edited by Mussel: Sep 3 2019, 01:16 AM
viex
post Aug 30 2019, 10:52 AM

Getting Started
249 posts

QUOTE(Mussel @ Dec 24 2016, 12:15 AM)

But can a 40-year-old man really make a comeback and resume his career as programmer?

After all, I spent most of my time in programming. It was again because of incompetence, I switched my job industry to Admin/Clerk 9 years ago.
I am 37 and I am heading to programming life.

I take it with passion and enthusiasm, believing what I do will solve real life problem.

I once use only FIND and REPLACE function to fix over ten thousand errors instantly with my weird Regex code.... very limited tool to cut big tree...
That boost my confidence so much, I want to learn more.

Remember, it is computer learning, not planting paddy or asking you to live heavy rocks, so you can cruise on.
But sorry to say, your mind must be sharp, it is really about problem solving and get to know the newest trend.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:17 PM