Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My CIEM making Journey - Elysian Acoustic Labs, A passion for CIEM and DIY (DIY)

views

VagueConcerns
post Dec 15 2016, 08:22 PM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

Nice. Looking forward to reading your progress.
I assume you would start by making a mould for an acrylic shell? Or silicone?
VagueConcerns
post Dec 20 2016, 02:54 PM

Enthusiast

I once had a Monoprice 9927 IEM, and it can reproduce the most realistic cymbals and acoustic sounds of all that I have ever heard of from any IEM. Not even the Shure 425 or the Sony XBA multi BAs have such treble performance. It had a single 14.2mm dynamic driver, and open back I believe. They don't hit quite low enough despite what the huge driver may suggest. They are more comparable to headphones than IEMs.

The entire build quality was crap though. Cable was very fragile, housing was ill-designed and had rough edges, and one of the nozzles were deformed slightly. The entire thing was huge too. If I have the sort of miniature electronic skills as you I would probably attempt to house it in a better shell. It's very cheap, USD 8.
VagueConcerns
post Dec 21 2016, 06:19 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(ziixtreme @ Dec 20 2016, 11:32 PM)
Do you have a pic or any reference of the thing? Maybe I can mod it lol
Only pics from around the internet. I sold it for RM10 to a friend about 2 years ago, and the the cable worn out a few months later. The IEM was over a year old when the cable broke.

user posted image
VagueConcerns
post Jan 24 2017, 12:58 AM

Enthusiast

Our ears are naturally amplifying those low treble regions. While this will be a sparkly IEM, it is not a neutral sounding one. The dips and peak difference is at most around 10dB there so that should be reasonably natural sounding, but still, a bit more amplified than what our brains would be expecting. Our ear canals are basically small pipes. Listening to a loudspeaker our ears work naturally because it is leaky. Plug an IEM in, and the IEM driver will resonate the air inside our ear canals easier. Our ear canal length results in a quarter-wave resonance of about 2400-3400Hz.

The Westone UM3x is considered by many to be a neutral IEM, and it is no coincidence that it, and others like one of the Etymotic ER4 rolls off or dips their frequency response gently starting around 3kHz (and then bounces back up again when nearing 8kHz).

This post has been edited by VagueConcerns: Jan 24 2017, 01:21 AM
VagueConcerns
post Jan 24 2017, 11:20 AM

Enthusiast

How do you measure the IEM BTW, with a coupler, or is that completely raw?
VagueConcerns
post Jan 26 2017, 04:08 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(ziixtreme @ Jan 26 2017, 03:34 PM)
IEC711 artificial ear.
I see.
Well in that case that response is actually pretty good. Though the smoothing might mask the treble irregularities a bit.

This post has been edited by VagueConcerns: Jan 26 2017, 04:08 PM
VagueConcerns
post Jan 26 2017, 11:30 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(ziixtreme @ Jan 26 2017, 11:09 PM)
Actually this is already very smooth, just some niy-picking here there to maximize the potential of a 3 drivers settings. This lacks a bit of details and precision. May need to tune down the bass a little bit. This is only a single sound bore design. If I make a dual bore design maybe can release more detail. Furthermore this is only a universal fit. Custom would yield better results.
Post the result ya?! biggrin.gif
VagueConcerns
post Mar 11 2017, 12:11 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(ziixtreme @ Mar 11 2017, 09:35 AM)
In the end they did send to my house "sort of"

When I was about to go to post office this morning, found it in my house compound. They chucked it inside without calling or honking.  vmad.gif  luckily there was no rain yesterday
That is one lazy postman.
I've never had any problems with Poslaju at my place. The postman even dropped off my parcel at work because he saw me there. He recognised me after sending parcels to my home twice.

This post has been edited by VagueConcerns: Mar 11 2017, 12:11 PM
VagueConcerns
post Mar 12 2017, 12:12 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(power911 @ Mar 11 2017, 10:07 PM)
poslaju or pos biasa in my area is always top notch because they remember me and they know when I'm around or not. tongue.gif

however city link in my area is a pain
Those postmen like their job, so they do it properly. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by VagueConcerns: Mar 12 2017, 12:12 AM

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0834sec    3.17    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 10:01 PM