Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My CIEM making Journey - Elysian Acoustic Labs, A passion for CIEM and DIY (DIY)

views

TSziixtreme
post Dec 15 2016, 03:08 PM, updated 2y ago

Getting Started
139 posts

I was 1st into better sounding earphone when my friend introduced me the Audio Technica Pro5V (if I remember the name correctly). I was amazed by the sound it made. It is incomparable to the cheapo pasar malam or computer shop AVF equivalent. Too bad when I was in uni the headphone is stolen together with a lot of my good stuffs. I was finding a replacement untill I stumbled on the UE TF10. That brought my musics to a whole new level. I bought it when it was on sale during black friday via a friend from the USA for $99. Ever since I loved that a lot. At 1st I was struggling with the fitting. It was not comfortable. But when you get a good fit, It sounded great. After a few months the cable gave way.... Meh.... Bought a replacement cable from Jaben and it rocks again. Being using it for quite some time. I knew a lot of people compared it to the Shure SE535 and I decided to go to Jaben to give it a try. At first I tried the SE215, what an incredible sound for an earpiece for RM389 (at that time), superb bass and the sound is ok (of course not comparable to TF10), and then I tried the SE315 SE425 then the SE535. The 315 and 425 was a disappointment for me. But the 535 was somewhat comparable to TF10. The 535 sounded warmer, with more sub bass than the TF10, more bodied mids, Celine Dion sounded superbly sweet!!! At first it was awesome to listen. I was quite pleased with the sound untill I played Armin Van Buuren songs........... DISASTROUS......... Treble roll off too much. The TF10 wins hands down notworthy.gif on this. The bass on the TF10 is so fast that it kept pace with the beat of trance music. In the end I felt it's two different thing. You cannot compare them both, both have their strong points and weaknesses. One thing to note thou was the fitting of the Shure design. It was marvelous. It's impossible to not fit. It is so "universal" that I bet even an infant would find it comfortable. **joking** But anyway I've always wondered, If I can get TF10 to fit in the Shure shell, make it sound the same with a little bit more sub bass and more mid, that would be the superb earpiece. Haha, but everything in the world is not so nice. Since then I've always wanted to make a CIEM, but the pricing and resell value puts me off. After my TF10 gave way, the right side bass driver KAPUT, got crackling sound whenever there's bass, I went to Jaben to sought out a replacement, preferably a CIEM. I've tried many many CIEM at Jaben. The one that really "CAUGHT MY EAR" was the Fitear 334 and 335DW. The Fitear 334 is almost perfect for all kinds of songs, adequate bass that goes very low (impressive for BA), the bass is more about quality than quantity, but it is just nice, the mids are very very very nice, it sounded so sweet without fatigue after long listening period, and the superb treble extension. The 335DW is the 334 with more bass since Fitear added an additional woofer for more bass. The bass is heart thumping and fast, it has the punch and goes very deep without sacrificing the mids and high on the 334. This is the best CIEM I've listened to so far. I've also made some research on what drivers actually fitear is using, and not only that. I've also made research on what other brands of CIEM maker are using as well. Why didn't I grab a Fitear yet? Yeah, good question. Look at the price!!! ROFL, poor fag like me will never be able to justify spending that much on what? a pair of earpiece???? So in the end I've decided to do something about that! Imma reshell my spoiled TF10 BY MY SELF! yes, you hear me right (sorry you all can't hear me)......... I AM GONNA DO IT! I am gonna try starting off by reshelling my TF10 into the Shure SE535 shell and modify the crossover, replace the twin bass BA unit to give it deeper bass and mids and try to retain the treble. Pictures to follow. [B]TO BE CONTINUED......

Since there are some updates on this page, I will post some pictures here on the first page itself on the progress. for those who wants more detail regarding this thread can browse the pages.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by ziixtreme: Sep 2 2017, 02:05 AM
victorlow
post Dec 15 2016, 08:02 PM

18 posts

Is this a work in progress, or is most of this done and you are in the process of editing the pictures?
VagueConcerns
post Dec 15 2016, 08:22 PM

Enthusiast
867 posts

Nice. Looking forward to reading your progress.
I assume you would start by making a mould for an acrylic shell? Or silicone?
TSziixtreme
post Dec 16 2016, 06:49 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(victorlow @ Dec 15 2016, 08:02 PM)
Is this a work in progress, or is most of this done and you are in the process of editing the pictures?
This is a work in progress. I will upload picture of my mini workplace and some other stuffs I use. And I will also upload what kind of tools I have.
TSziixtreme
post Dec 16 2016, 06:52 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(VagueConcerns @ Dec 15 2016, 08:22 PM)
Nice. Looking forward to reading your progress.
I assume you would start by making a mould for an acrylic shell? Or silicone?
The acrylic shell mould process would be in the near future. I will acquire the items needed before I proceed with that. For now I will try to experiment with the SE535 shell. Should be able to work.
TSziixtreme
post Dec 16 2016, 08:40 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

As mentioned earlier, here are some shots of the above mentioned "object". Enjoy rclxm9.gif

The TF10 itself in it's beat up state:
user posted image
have been using this for almost 10 years. Even after the right unit have a rattling sound

Complete Disassembly
user posted image
Actually this had been done some time before. Note that the dual low drivers unit have already been disassembled from the mini pcb itself.

The TF10 dual low drivers
user posted image
A closer look on the dual low driver shows that this is a Sonion 3300 custom made to UE specifications. It has the UE markings on it.

Crossover with the high frequency driver still attached to it
user posted image
The crossover utilizes a 20ohm resistor series and 3.5uF capacitor parallel to the low driver. This is a low pass filter to filter out the high frequency so the low driver will only receive the low frequency. The high pass passive crossover featured a 1.5uF capacitor series to the tweeter driver. Capacitors are AVX I assume based on the looks of it.

The Sound isolation silicone (I don't know what it is called) This is used to block the sound from the driver's tip to go backwards to the back housing. It directs sound to the 2 bores of the eartip.
user posted image
Note that it has a red filter for the low frequency and green damper for the high frequency

[B]Closer look on the Acoustic dampers
user posted image

[B]The Tweeter driver on the TF10 (Has UE markings on it, another Sonion driver I assume. The 2389)
user posted image

That is all for the disassembly of the TF10, Stay tuned for next update on my workbench. bruce.gif
victorlow
post Dec 16 2016, 06:45 PM

18 posts

The nozzle of the shure shell is thinner than the tf10. If you aren't making your own, a shell wita a nozzle size closer to the tf10 like this one would be better.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32700254654.html

Like that one for example.
TSziixtreme
post Dec 17 2016, 09:13 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(victorlow @ Dec 16 2016, 06:45 PM)
The nozzle of the shure shell is thinner than the tf10. If you aren't making your own, a shell wita a nozzle size closer to the tf10 like this one would be better.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32700254654.html

Like that one for example.
I've notice that Shure has a nozzle smaller in diameter, but as I mentioned earlier, the Shure shell has one of the best fit in the world. So I want the good fitting and try to maintain the UE sound sig. Pictures of the tools I use for the project to follow......
TSziixtreme
post Dec 17 2016, 09:48 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

Below are the pictures of the tools I use for this "PROJECT":

Mr. Clamp
user posted image

Cheap Soldering Iron (but it still does the job well)
user posted image

Bosch GSR-1440 Battery Drill
user posted image
trust me, you need this!!!

Soldering Flux thumbup.gif
user posted image

Another Type of Soldering Flux(this is the cheap one I end up using that one on top because this leaves residue and needed cleaning wheres the top one doesn't need cleaning)
user posted image

Another Type of Flux (mainly for PCB soldering)
user posted image

Contact Cleaner (use to clean up the flux residue)
user posted image

Mini 3.5mm male to male audio cable silver plated copper(unrelated)
A cable I made with some leftover cables the other day, quite useful thou
user posted image

Sneak Peak>>>my DIY High Pass, Low Pass, & Band Pass Filter Testing Board
This enables me to test whatever configuration I want in a 3-way crossover setup thumbup.gif
user posted image

A little bit of the silver plated copper wire
user posted image

The next thing up would be the Shure shell itself and all the accessories for it. Stay tuned for more updates after this.

This post has been edited by ziixtreme: Dec 18 2016, 07:34 AM
more2teayap
post Dec 19 2016, 07:26 AM

~(-.-~)
2,549 posts

Interesting project, looking forward on your progress!
echineko
post Dec 19 2016, 08:24 AM

Enthusiast
762 posts

Looks like this isn't your first rodeo, good luck with that.
TSziixtreme
post Dec 19 2016, 09:39 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(more2teayap @ Dec 19 2016, 07:26 AM)
Interesting project, looking forward on your progress!
I will have more updates by tonight if I have the time. Pics to follow!

QUOTE(echineko @ Dec 19 2016, 08:24 AM)
Looks like this isn't your first rodeo, good luck with that.
I have another Secret project coming in the very near future, hehe...
sneak peak devil.gif
user posted image
victorlow
post Dec 20 2016, 03:34 AM

18 posts

Is that a mmcx connected to a dynamic driver? Hybrid maybe?
TSziixtreme
post Dec 20 2016, 08:53 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(victorlow @ Dec 20 2016, 03:34 AM)
Is that a mmcx connected to a dynamic driver?  Hybrid maybe?
Hehehe, I said it's a secret project. Shhhhh......
VagueConcerns
post Dec 20 2016, 02:54 PM

Enthusiast
867 posts

I once had a Monoprice 9927 IEM, and it can reproduce the most realistic cymbals and acoustic sounds of all that I have ever heard of from any IEM. Not even the Shure 425 or the Sony XBA multi BAs have such treble performance. It had a single 14.2mm dynamic driver, and open back I believe. They don't hit quite low enough despite what the huge driver may suggest. They are more comparable to headphones than IEMs.

The entire build quality was crap though. Cable was very fragile, housing was ill-designed and had rough edges, and one of the nozzles were deformed slightly. The entire thing was huge too. If I have the sort of miniature electronic skills as you I would probably attempt to house it in a better shell. It's very cheap, USD 8.
TSziixtreme
post Dec 20 2016, 11:32 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(VagueConcerns @ Dec 20 2016, 02:54 PM)
I once had a Monoprice 9927 IEM, and it can reproduce the most realistic cymbals and acoustic sounds of all that I have ever heard of from any IEM. Not even the Shure 425 or the Sony XBA multi BAs have such treble performance. It had a single 14.2mm dynamic driver, and open back I believe. They don't hit quite low enough despite what the huge driver may suggest. They are more comparable to headphones than IEMs.

The entire build quality was crap though. Cable was very fragile, housing was ill-designed and had rough edges, and one of the nozzles were deformed slightly. The entire thing was huge too. If I have the sort of miniature electronic skills as you I would probably attempt to house it in a better shell. It's very cheap, USD 8.
Do you have a pic or any reference of the thing? Maybe I can mod it lol
VagueConcerns
post Dec 21 2016, 06:19 PM

Enthusiast
867 posts

QUOTE(ziixtreme @ Dec 20 2016, 11:32 PM)
Do you have a pic or any reference of the thing? Maybe I can mod it lol
Only pics from around the internet. I sold it for RM10 to a friend about 2 years ago, and the the cable worn out a few months later. The IEM was over a year old when the cable broke.

user posted image
TSziixtreme
post Dec 23 2016, 01:38 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(VagueConcerns @ Dec 21 2016, 06:19 PM)
Only pics from around the internet. I sold it for RM10 to a friend about 2 years ago, and the the cable worn out a few months later. The IEM was over a year old when the cable broke.

user posted image
Hmmm, this one looks a little bit too big to put inside a custom...... bye.gif Well, back to the topic flex.gif
TSziixtreme
post Dec 23 2016, 03:22 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

I was busy for the past few days, assembling and tuning the stuff, being not satisfied with the sound tuning and change it again. lots of soldering work to do. Soldering, putting it together and try to listen and then feel not satisfied and desolder the thing and solder it back. Keep repeating the same stuff...... In the end I got something I am quite satisfied but still can be improved.

Here are some pictures:

The Drivers
user posted image

Closer Look
user posted image

The SE535 Shell
user posted image

Capacitors!!!! A lot of em!!!
user posted image

More capacitors!!!!
user posted image

Drivers getting preped and ready to go in
user posted image

Finally in
user posted image

The Shell assembled
user posted image

Viablue mini 3.5mm (beautiful isn't it!)
user posted image

For those who are interested to "audition" this home made iem, can PM me and we can arrange time for meet up and test it out. Any sincere comments are welcomed. If it is not good just tell me straight and I will try to improve my future build. Next is to wait for my CIEM materials to arrive so I can try to make a CIEM. flex.gif

silver69
post Dec 23 2016, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

awesome DIY you have there... I have a underutilized TF10 lying in drawer that I keep thinking to reshell them to custom, been surveying which company to go for but then u sparks my brain that we can reshell it to other IEM body as well....

the one who own TF10 before know the sound is fantastic but the fit is major problem...

10 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0416sec    1.33    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 14th October 2019 - 11:57 PM