Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Engine Oil over Limit, will it do any damage?

views

TSSpeedAlert
post Feb 15 2007, 03:54 PM, updated 18y ago

Getting Started
99 posts

Each time i send my proton waja to proton sc for servicing these days the technician sure put in the engine oil far over the maximum limit line. Will it do any damage to the engine?

Why they do it ?? vmad.gif
moderno
post Feb 15 2007, 04:05 PM

*Thanks for all the memories & supports! @ LYN**
1,924 posts

most likely the some little quantities of the engine oil will shoot back to the intake unit and might leave some oil stains inside there and ur air filter..

not much harm done but from time to time, ur intake and air filter unit will get dirty a bit..
cloudwan
post Feb 15 2007, 04:21 PM

- Knob -
8,421 posts

In my case when that happened to my car, the engine kinda feel heavy, not so responsive as usual... When i dumped the engine oil and put in new one at the correct measurement the engine feels much better.. Rugi one new bottle of syntium 1000 oil... Damn that mechanic...
sakaic
post Feb 15 2007, 05:05 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

nothjing much.....the oil will just get burnt up

zeist
post Feb 15 2007, 06:37 PM

Mivec 1800cc
All Stars
15,182 posts

QUOTE(SpeedAlert @ Feb 15 2007, 03:54 PM)
Each time i send my proton waja to proton sc for servicing these days the technician sure put in the engine oil far over the maximum limit line. Will it do any damage to the engine?

Don't do service at Main Branch Proton service centre especially the one in Glenmarie.

Most of the staff there are not doing their job properly.
the_catacombs
post Feb 15 2007, 06:48 PM

8 stars wooo....
10,975 posts

if u worry that, try unplug the sump oil below ur car to drain off some engine oil till the normal level....
rcracer
post Feb 15 2007, 10:01 PM

?????
3,743 posts

Overfilling is bad because the crankshaft dips into it causing power loss and worse is that when the crankshaft constantly does that it causes the oil to foam the foam might get sucked by the oil pump. This foam contains air which reduces the lubricating properties of the oil. better get it reduced.
sleepwalker
post Feb 16 2007, 12:42 AM

Need sleep....
Group Icon
Staff
5,517 posts

QUOTE(SpeedAlert @ Feb 15 2007, 03:54 PM)

How much is too far over the maximum line? 1mm? 2mm? 1cm? Satu inci? Anything less than a cm is fine and you don't have to worry about it. The moment the engine starts, the level will drop below the crankshaft and would not be a problem.

If you have 1-2 inches over max, then yes, you have to remove it. Don't have to take everything out. The mech can just loosen the screw at the oil sump and drain some out.
tester1979
post Feb 16 2007, 12:43 AM

*** O.M.G ***
1,317 posts

QUOTE(sakaic @ Feb 15 2007, 05:05 PM)
nothjing much.....the oil will just get burnt up
huh???

nolah.....you think this is petrol meh......

unless your engine is "eating" engine oil lah......which is bad btw....

QUOTE(rcracer @ Feb 15 2007, 10:01 PM)
Overfilling is bad because the crankshaft dips into it causing power loss and worse is that when the crankshaft constantly does that it causes the oil to foam the foam might get sucked by the oil pump. This foam contains air which reduces the lubricating properties of the oil. better get it reduced.
agreed. if over max limit:-

1) less power and feel engine "heavy"
2) extra pressure put on the engine
3) worse case is the gasket might be leaking in long term due to over pressure...
4) due to engine heave, driver tend to feed more petrol, thus higher FC

Added on February 16, 2007, 12:45 am
QUOTE(sleepwalker @ Feb 16 2007, 12:42 AM)
How much is too far over the maximum line? 1mm? 2mm? 1cm? Satu inci? Anything less than a cm is fine and you don't have to worry about it. The moment the engine starts, the level will drop below the crankshaft and would not be a problem.

If you have 1-2 inches over max, then yes, you have to remove it. Don't have to take everything out. The mech can just loosen the screw at the oil sump and drain some out.
sifu is here to give advice!!!

p/s - sleepwalker's comments are amongst the most trustworthy and accurate around here.... notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by tester1979: Feb 16 2007, 12:45 AM
sakaic
post Feb 16 2007, 06:38 AM

Enthusiast
918 posts

sorry....my bad. kept thinking its just a bit over.
TSSpeedAlert
post Feb 16 2007, 10:20 AM

Getting Started
99 posts

QUOTE(rcracer @ Feb 15 2007, 10:01 PM)
This is what i thought so. I better get the amount reduced. Thanks

QUOTE(sleepwalker @ Feb 16 2007, 12:42 AM)

It's about 1 inch over the maximum limit line. I actually brought the systium 1000 myself to the service centre. After servicing, my wife drove the car home & i found out that the servicing guy almost dump all the 4 litre oil into the engine. Very little amount left. When i check the oil level, doh.gif far exceed the limit line. At the car porch, every morning got some oil dripping on the floor also.

Thanks.

sleepwalker
post Feb 16 2007, 10:38 AM

Need sleep....
Group Icon
Staff
5,517 posts

QUOTE(SpeedAlert @ Feb 16 2007, 10:20 AM)
It's about 1 inch over the maximum limit line. I actually brought the systium 1000 myself to the service centre. After servicing, my wife drove the car home & i found out that the servicing guy almost dump all the 4 litre oil into the engine. Very little amount left. When i check the oil level,  doh.gif  far exceed the limit line. At the car porch, every morning got some oil dripping on the floor also.

Thanks.
The dripping oil has nothing to do with over-fill. Once the oil is in the engine, it will not go anywhere else (except out PCV breather valve). Even if you overfill it will stay in the engine. If oil is dripping out, it is coming out of worn out gaskets.

Just bring it back to the service center and complain to the manager. They'd rectify it for you, although you would waste a little engine oil. Don't think they'd compensate the engine oil.
rcracer
post Feb 17 2007, 11:58 AM

?????
3,743 posts

QUOTE(SpeedAlert @ Feb 16 2007, 10:20 AM)
It's about 1 inch over the maximum limit line. I actually brought the systium 1000 myself to the service centre. After servicing, my wife drove the car home & i found out that the servicing guy almost dump all the 4 litre oil into the engine. Very little amount left. When i check the oil level,  doh.gif  far exceed the limit line. At the car porch, every morning got some oil dripping on the floor also.

Thanks.
If it's dripping oil the threads of the drain plug may have been stripped due to overtightening, that is if your car wasn't leaking oil previously to begin with.
TSSpeedAlert
post Feb 20 2007, 12:56 PM

Getting Started
99 posts

QUOTE(rcracer @ Feb 17 2007, 11:58 AM)
If it's dripping oil the threads of the drain plug may have been stripped due to overtightening, that is if your car wasn't leaking oil previously to begin with.
I got those oil dripping problem solved already. True as you said. It's the drain plug.

Thanks to Sleepwakler also.

You guys offer great help.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:39 AM