Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

OverHeating, After changing filter car tend to overht

views

TS[ r u g a ]
post Feb 15 2007, 01:58 PM, updated 18y ago

On my way
660 posts

Hmm to all experience driver here..
i dont understand why lately my car overheat after replacing a new high flow air filter..

ok now heres the detail:
the last normal paper filter get stuck so much that i wanted to change it,so i get an K&N OEM Drop in air filter..
so yesterday my car got stuck in a very very big jam that the car just go below 10km/h

after sometime,the temperature that is normally 40%-50% reading of the gauge rise up to like 80% i was so scare that the engine could blow or something..

then i turn off the air cond and try to shift the gear to N when in real stop(i mean all this while is in D and i step and release the brake,sometime the traffic dont move at all up to 1min) still after awhile then the temperature drop back to its normal range..

i cant really make sure which part of the thing cause this problem..for overheating i guess is all chain related matter as in normal driving mode/high speed/high rev highway driving there isnt any problem at all.

p/s:for this i guess is the radiator coolant faulty|air filter indirectly affect this as its freeflow suck too much hot air from the surrounding while jam(outer temp is kinda high above 34-35) that cause the coolant not capable to cool the engine in time|moving parts in the engine friction vibration cause temp to rise - all in chain

another more technical prob i think is the air sensor/ecu not yet used to the new filter because this car all this while in 6years clocking over 450k KM are using paper filter that has limited flow..so it cant accept the new filter as the flow is high and cant adjust properly the fuel/air mixture.. my car usually dont vibrate that much during idle on gear D in traffic stop..but yesterday the interior was shaking like theres earth quake,the rpm just went below normal range like below 500rpm

btw the car is a Honda Accord 2.0 VTEC year 2000 with F20A engine and a sucky gear box that is replace 2years ago.

all this happen the first time,after major servicing of new engine oil grading 5W-40(normally i use 10W-30) ATF flush and replace,Airfilter replacement..

hope you guys can give some comment to enlighten me the problem..

edit: one more thing is FC is rising too..maybe due to that massive traffic jam,i service this car on monday 12 feb thats 3days ago

This post has been edited by [ r u g a ]: Feb 15 2007, 02:02 PM
Cahill
post Feb 15 2007, 02:21 PM

-- Type (R) --
2,754 posts

k&n air filter wont caused temp to rise. did u check ur radiotor water/coolent? any leak? better bring to mech to check also, maybe is ur water pump or radiotor leaking.
TS[ r u g a ]
post Feb 15 2007, 02:32 PM

On my way
660 posts

icic thanks for the comment..first thing first i oso think is coolant and radiator..but dont hav any trusted mech to go for..scare kena CON again..kena many time liao so sad and pain
Cahill
post Feb 15 2007, 02:51 PM

-- Type (R) --
2,754 posts

notice ur coolent/water in reserve tank become much less? if not getting less, that mean must be ur water pump.
TS[ r u g a ]
post Feb 15 2007, 03:59 PM

On my way
660 posts

ntg get less..still good full..ic..
where is the water pump?
jamik
post Feb 15 2007, 04:16 PM

Vrooommmm
679 posts

QUOTE(Cahill @ Feb 15 2007, 02:21 PM)
k&n air filter wont caused temp to rise. did u check ur radiotor water/coolent? any leak? better bring to mech to check also, maybe is ur water pump or radiotor leaking.
ya, k&n filter wont caused it,... r u sure ur radioter set not leaking??? if u say scared mech will con u, better ask some 1 who familiar wit car o know some mech to chek ur car 1st..
Cahill
post Feb 15 2007, 04:34 PM

-- Type (R) --
2,754 posts

bring back to honda centre
jamik
post Feb 15 2007, 04:38 PM

Vrooommmm
679 posts

QUOTE(Cahill @ Feb 15 2007, 04:34 PM)
bring back to honda centre
ya they will do their work nicly, but they also con sometime doh.gif
wb4j
post Feb 15 2007, 06:22 PM

Casual
443 posts

IMHO, water still intact, then it should be the either water pump, radiator fan or the thermostat konk.

Dude.. i would suggest u not to drive the car now. If the engine gets overheat, it will burn ur thermostat, gasket etc.. a lot of $ repair + permanet damage on the engine.
TS[ r u g a ]
post Feb 15 2007, 07:17 PM

On my way
660 posts

tak bole la..my car is for working and its on 180-200km trip perday for me..
is it anything to do with the heat sensor? i mention some special thing there that is off air cond and shift to N will bring back the heat lvl to normal..

unitron
post Feb 15 2007, 08:28 PM

W1(R)3d
2,719 posts

QUOTE([ r u g a )
,Feb 15 2007, 01:58 PM]get stuck so much that i wanted to change it,so i get an K&N OEM Drop in air filter..
so yesterday my car got stuck in a very very big jam that the car just go below 10km/h

after sometime,the temperature that is normally 40%-50% reading of the gauge rise up to like 80% i was so scare that the engine could blow or something..

then i turn off the air cond and try to shift the gear to N when in real stop(i mean all this while is in D and i step and release the brake,sometime the traffic dont move at all up to 1min) still after awhile then the temperature drop back to its normal range..

That's ur problem --> the massive jam plus keeping it in D all the time on a hot day

turning off ur aircond and shifting to N reduce stress on the engine especially when u stuck in that kind of traffic. I'm sure ur radiator fan is working constantly during that time trying to cool the engine down. Dun have enough airflow to cool it down.

But u may want to get ur cooling system checked also.

QUOTE([ r u g a ] @ Feb 15 2007, 01:58 PM)
another more technical prob i think is the air sensor/ecu not yet used to the new filter because this car all this while in 6years clocking over 450k KM are using paper filter that has limited flow..so it cant accept the new filter as the flow is high and cant adjust properly the fuel/air mixture.. my car usually dont vibrate that much during idle on gear D in traffic stop..but yesterday the interior was shaking like theres earth quake,the rpm just went below normal range like below 500rpm

Get your throttle body checked and cleaned. If all ok, ask them to check the ISC.

This post has been edited by unitron: Feb 15 2007, 08:30 PM
rcracer
post Feb 15 2007, 09:43 PM

?????
3,743 posts

Check maybe the radiator fan is not working, highly unusual for a filter to cause overheating, in fact never heard of anything like that before

Vervain
post Feb 15 2007, 10:41 PM

Scathach
5,458 posts

yup i also suspect your radiator fan is the main problem. my old car also have this problem. when on heavy jam, the temperature will rise high and it will only reduce if the air con is on. in other words, my fan power is altered to work together with the air-con fan because of some relay failure. the short circuiting configuration means i need to on the fan to ensure a better and efficient cooling. if the vehicle is cruising at normal speed, then its alright to run without the air-con. my daily commute to work has the same distance as yours.

try checking on the fans. even when they are working but they might not be sucking efficiently to reduce the heat of the radiator.
wb4j
post Feb 16 2007, 09:30 AM

Casual
443 posts

QUOTE(Vervain @ Feb 15 2007, 10:41 PM)
yup i also suspect your radiator fan is the main problem. my old car also have this problem. when on heavy jam, the temperature will rise high and it will only reduce if the air con is on. in other words, my fan power is altered to work together with the air-con fan because of some relay failure. the short circuiting configuration means i need to on the fan to ensure a better and efficient cooling. if the vehicle is cruising at normal speed, then its alright to run without the air-con. my daily commute to work has the same distance as yours.

try checking on the fans. even when they are working but they might not be sucking efficiently to reduce the heat of the radiator.
This may not be good for all car makes. When i got my car (pre-owned), I notice the radiator fan is turned on all the the time. It seems like the previous owner has got it short circuit. This may not be a good idea when the engine is cold. My experience... the engine takes a very long time to warm up to it's optimal tempature, bout 20 mins and the auto choke is up running for 20mins!. 2 things i notice, when engine is cold, it doen't run smooth and it burns petrol inefficiently. THis would reduce the fan's lifespan too.

And when i removed the shortcircuit, the engine gets warmed up in less than 5 min! I notice the engine now runs much smoother and better fc. my 2 cents smile.gif
Vanquish
post Feb 16 2007, 11:04 AM

F.U.B.A.R.
2,115 posts

QUOTE([ r u g a ] @ Feb 15 2007, 02:32 PM)
icic thanks for the comment..first thing first i oso think is coolant and radiator..but dont hav any trusted mech to go for..scare kena CON again..kena many time liao so sad and pain
Next time, if your engine starts to overheat, do NOT turn off ur aircon... Instead turn it up to FULL BLAST and the coldest temp setting... By doing that, you are making your car's aircon fan spin continuously, thus also helping with the engine cooling. Usually, our car's aircon fan is right beside the radiator fan. Therefore, in an engine overheat situation, getting the aircon fan to spin non-stop will help with the engine cooling... Look at it as the aircon fan helping out the radiator fan to cool the engine coz during overheat, the radiator fan won't be able to cool it effectively. smile.gif
Vervain
post Feb 16 2007, 11:37 AM

Scathach
5,458 posts

QUOTE(wb4j @ Feb 16 2007, 09:30 AM)
This may not be good for all car makes. When i got my car (pre-owned), I notice the radiator fan is turned on all the the time. It seems like the previous owner has got it short circuit. This may not be a good idea when the engine is cold. My experience... the engine takes a very long time to warm up to it's optimal tempature, bout 20 mins and the auto choke is up running for 20mins!. 2 things i notice, when engine is cold, it doen't run smooth and it burns petrol inefficiently. THis would reduce the fan's lifespan too.

And when i removed the shortcircuit, the engine gets warmed up in less than 5 min! I notice the engine now runs much smoother and better fc. my 2 cents smile.gif
basically for me its the other way round. early morning when the engine is cold, i'll start it up running without the air con operating. this means the radiator is working but the heat dissipation is not working efficiently, thus the engine will warm up faster. Cause the fan is not spinning.

for vertical mounted type of engine (Rear wheel drive) the fan moves correspondently with the car's mechanical engine. this means its mechanically powered instead of those normal front wheel drive/ horizontal mount engines which relys on electrical powered fans. these mechanically powered fans have to be regularly maintained and lubricated to ensure optimum performance
Cahill
post Feb 16 2007, 04:48 PM

-- Type (R) --
2,754 posts

by turning on the air con then the fan start to run. but if u travel more than 40km/h, the air coming in wil be faster that the fan generate
NewVi
post Feb 17 2007, 10:19 AM

Getting Started
194 posts

QUOTE(Vervain @ Feb 15 2007, 10:41 PM)
agree..my dad's car experienced that before...according to the mechanic then...the fan is not operating at its optimum speed when its needed to

QUOTE(Vanquish @ Feb 16 2007, 11:04 AM)
Next time, if your engine starts to overheat, do NOT turn off ur aircon... Instead turn it up to FULL BLAST and the coldest temp setting... By doing that, you are making your car's aircon fan spin continuously, thus also helping with the engine cooling. Usually, our car's aircon fan is right beside the radiator fan. Therefore, in an engine overheat situation, getting the aircon fan to spin non-stop will help with the engine cooling... Look at it as the aircon fan helping out the radiator fan to cool the engine coz during overheat, the radiator fan won't be able to cool it effectively. smile.gif
that s a good information.... rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:28 PM