Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Roti Canai Recipe . Original, lembut

views

TShackwire
post Dec 1 2016, 07:30 AM, updated 8y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,256 posts

I'm looking for roti canai recipe.
Found a few in the internet but it looks amateur recipe. Google roti canai resepi in malay, I found all sort of lousy recipe using condensed milk. I don't know why they put condense milk in roti canai.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one. anyone knows of a good recipe pls share . time is bad, I want to make my homemade roti canai now.
kurangak
post Dec 1 2016, 07:34 AM

certified /k addict
1,154 posts

search for paratha recipe...

CKKwan
post Dec 1 2016, 07:34 AM

Enthusiast
886 posts

Original Roti Canai is from India
Zot
post Dec 1 2016, 08:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 1 2016, 07:30 AM)
I'm looking for roti canai recipe.
Found a few in the internet but it looks amateur recipe. Google roti canai resepi in malay, I found all sort of lousy recipe using condensed milk. I don't know why they put condense milk in roti canai.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one. anyone knows of a good recipe pls share . time is bad, I want to make my homemade roti canai now.
You dunno the condense milk because it was secret recipe. There many variations of recipe. These are own secret recipe that makes each one taste different. Some are chewy after cold and some still maintain softness whole day.

How to know the original recipe if we don't know what is original? biggrin.gif It is said that it is similar to Parotta (roti prata) from Kerala but it was using flour that is similar to cake flour. Still it has variations al well. Some put egg in dough and some don't. It is knead using oil/ghee and water (and egg).

Basically the one you saw in Internet is okay. Maybe you can try and find which one is best for you then modify from there. thumbup.gif
azlansani
post Dec 1 2016, 08:03 AM

Getting Started
56 posts

recipe is one thing,

to canai it is another..
TShackwire
post Dec 1 2016, 08:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,256 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 1 2016, 08:03 AM)
You dunno the condense milk because it was secret recipe. There many variations of recipe. These are own secret recipe that makes each one taste different. Some are chewy after cold and some still maintain softness whole day.

How to know the original recipe if we don't know what is original?  biggrin.gif  It is said that it is similar to Parotta (roti prata) from Kerala but it was using flour that is similar to cake flour. Still it has variations al well. Some put egg in dough and some don't. It is knead using oil/ghee and water (and egg).

Basically the one you saw in Internet is okay. Maybe you can try and find which one is best for you then modify from there.  thumbup.gif
thanks for sharing.
but have u ate the original one from india?
I wonder if it taste the same as in Malaysia? but if u add condensed milk in, will it taste sweet ? some recipe I saw uses milk and water. some uses egg. Maybe it helps in creating the elasticity.
Zot
post Dec 1 2016, 08:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 1 2016, 08:20 AM)
thanks for sharing.
but have u ate the original one from india?
I wonder if it taste the same as in Malaysia? but if u add condensed milk in, will it taste sweet ? some recipe I saw uses milk and water. some uses egg. Maybe it helps in creating the elasticity.
Never eaten one. Last time I frequented to Northern side of India. So, mostly is just chapati. Roti canai like is more to Southern India like Chennai, but I believe if you find anything similar to Malaysia roti chanai, it is the Indian who has been working here brought the recipe back or Malaysian opening the restaurant there.

The condense milk is just like 1 table spoon for probably 500g of flour. Just to add a tad of sweetness but I guess if you don't put it in, it taste the same probably laugh.gif

The elasticity is from the flour itself. There are many types of flours.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/package...s-and-uses.html

Bread flour has more protein content than all-purpose, which helps with gluten development. Some recipes call for it when an especially chewy and elastic crumb is desired. Some will mix them. I was told that roti canai makers like to use Cap Kunci. So, experiment with different type and look for one that you prefer. You need to rest the dough after kneading and you need to make sure you knead it properly.

Your dough is kneaded once it hold its shape like when you make a small dough ball and hold between your fingers, it will not sag. The dough is also smooth. Another good indicator is that you get tired laugh.gif . In summary, kneading for 10-12 minutes by hand or 8-10 minutes in a mixer are the general standards.

You can make as many dough ball for roti canai. Just cover it with margarine and stack in plastic container like what you saw at restaurant there. It can be stored in fridge. Just thaw them to room temperature before use.

TShackwire
post Dec 1 2016, 09:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,256 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 1 2016, 08:49 AM)
Never eaten one. Last time I frequented to Northern side of India. So, mostly is just chapati. Roti canai like is more to Southern India like Chennai, but I believe if you find anything similar to Malaysia roti chanai, it is the Indian who has been working here brought the recipe back or Malaysian opening the restaurant there.

The condense milk is just like 1 table spoon for probably 500g of flour. Just to add a tad of sweetness but I guess if you don't put it in, it taste the same probably  laugh.gif

The elasticity is from the flour itself. There are many types of flours.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/package...s-and-uses.html

Bread flour has more protein content than all-purpose, which helps with gluten development. Some recipes call for it when an especially chewy and elastic crumb is desired. Some will mix them. I was told that roti canai makers like to use Cap Kunci. So, experiment with different type and look for one that you prefer. You need to rest the dough after kneading and you need to make sure you knead it properly.

Your dough is kneaded once it hold its shape like when you make a small dough ball and hold between your fingers, it will not sag. The dough is also smooth. Another good indicator is that you get tired  laugh.gif . In summary, kneading for 10-12 minutes by hand or 8-10 minutes in a mixer are the general standards.

You can make as many dough ball for roti canai. Just cover it with margarine and stack in plastic container like what you saw at restaurant there. It can be stored in fridge. Just thaw them to room temperature before use.
wow. u seem to know a lot of bread making and even type of flour like protein. salute!
I just don't know when is the right time to stop kneading, your way seem good. I will try.
I saw the one flour from interflour just for roti canai in packaging. I will try out cap kunci too.

ghee and margarine is interchangeable right ? can use either one? wonder if I can go further with shortening?

Zot
post Dec 1 2016, 09:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 1 2016, 09:07 AM)
wow. u seem to know a lot of bread making and even type of flour like protein. salute!
I just don't know when is the right time to stop kneading, your way seem good. I will try.
I saw the one flour from interflour just for roti canai in packaging. I will try out cap kunci too.

ghee and margarine is interchangeable right ? can use either one? wonder if I can go further with shortening?
Ghee will smell like ghee but now in Tesco or anywhere is Ghee Blend. No pure ghee anymore. Expensive. Ghee blend to pure ghee is like Buttercup to pure butter biggrin.gif

I would just use margarine. Never try shortening. I suggest try with normal one first like margarine. Once you get the result you desired and get the knack on roti canai, you can start experimenting.
TShackwire
post Dec 1 2016, 09:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,256 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Dec 1 2016, 09:14 AM)
Ghee will smell like ghee but now in Tesco or anywhere is Ghee Blend. No pure ghee anymore. Expensive. Ghee blend to pure ghee is like Buttercup to pure butter  biggrin.gif

I would just use margarine. Never try shortening. I suggest try with normal one first like margarine. Once you get the result you desired and get the knack on roti canai, you can start experimenting.
which ghee brand is the real one, all looks the same in green to me now. windmill, pureghee etc.. hard to choose nowadays. tested some and really not good taste at all.
thank you again. will try it.
Zot
post Dec 1 2016, 09:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

I dunno if I ever saw one nowadays the pure ghee laugh.gif
WebDpot
post Dec 1 2016, 10:13 AM

Regular
1,021 posts

maybe you can learn from mamak kedai, they pro making roti canai.
supervisor
post Dec 1 2016, 01:35 PM

33 posts

nowadays buy from ready made la easy and cost less
patienceGNR
post Dec 1 2016, 04:04 PM

♥ Ride All Day ♥
2,022 posts

You go work with mamak fella for 3 months, you will learn how to make and toss the roti.
Zot
post Dec 1 2016, 04:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(WebDpot @ Dec 1 2016, 10:13 AM)
Most of kedai mamak nowadays do not make their own dough. Dough is supplied. Now it is big business selling dough. That is why the texture and taste are similar among kedai who get from same supplier biggrin.gif
awang
post Dec 1 2016, 04:14 PM

Casual
478 posts

i remember doing those canai thing after spm..penat woo producing instant roti canai

many kg per day..feels like vomiting
TShackwire
post Dec 1 2016, 10:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,256 posts

QUOTE(WebDpot @ Dec 1 2016, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE(patienceGNR @ Dec 1 2016, 04:04 PM)
You go work with mamak fella for 3 months, you will learn how to make and toss the roti.
MAYBE YOU GO THERE AND WORK THERE THREE MONTHS THAN YOU COME BACK AND POST AGAIN IN THIS THREAD.
WebDpot
post Dec 1 2016, 10:07 PM

Regular
1,021 posts

QUOTE(hackwire @ Dec 1 2016, 10:02 PM)
MAYBE YOU GO THERE AND WORK THERE THREE MONTHS THAN YOU COME BACK AND POST AGAIN IN THIS THREAD.
no need to work for 3 month lah, just ask for a recipe in return you give them some money lah.
patienceGNR
post Dec 1 2016, 10:28 PM

♥ Ride All Day ♥
2,022 posts

WOT. WHO REPORTED MY POST ABOVE? LMAO, suggestions also not acceptable?
SUSGibeDeMuny
post Dec 2 2016, 09:43 PM

Getting Started
92 posts

no such thing as 'original' or authentic recipe

summore why label online recipes as amateurs? have you actually tried them?

there are manh variations online just as it is in real life, diff kedai, diff ppl, diff recipe

some ask for yeast, some condensed milk, some rest and ferment dough overnight submerged in oil, some use ghee, or planta etc

if you can't even bother making a 'serviceable' roti out of those 'amateur' online recipes, what, you think you'd suddenly be able to make the perfect roti if you have an authentic recipe?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.78    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:02 PM