Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DNS Server config, Server-client setup

views

TSblurcase
post Nov 25 2016, 09:36 PM, updated 8y ago

Casual
418 posts

Hi everyone, need your technical advice. I have an office setup as per attached in the pic. All the clients are Windows 10 Pro.

Currently the router is the DHCP server distributing IP to all the PCs. I have set the server as static IP and also network drive to the PCs.

My client PCs occasionally face intermittent Internet connection delays. When it happens the file server connection is still okay.

TM have verified 2-3 times via physical checks that there is no problem with the modem or the line.

Their IP addresses are dynamic but their DNS Servers are configured to:

1) File Server IP
2) Router IP

Is there something wrong with my setup? How can I do this better?

Attached Image

This post has been edited by blurcase: Nov 25 2016, 09:37 PM
indmastore
post Nov 26 2016, 02:56 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Nov 25 2016, 09:36 PM)
Hi everyone, need your technical advice. I have an office setup as per attached in the pic. All the clients are Windows 10 Pro.

Currently the router is the DHCP server distributing IP to all the PCs. I have set the server as static IP and also network drive to the PCs.

My client PCs occasionally face intermittent Internet connection delays. When it happens the file server connection is still okay.

TM have verified 2-3 times via physical checks that there is no problem with the modem or the line.

1) File Server IP
2) Router IP

Is there something wrong with my setup? How can I do this better?
Attached Image
Are you using the stock router? Most likely its the culprit. Changing to better quality router will likely solve the issue.
Your server works fine even if the internet is down coz the connection goes through the switch, not the router.
smile.gif
howszat
post Nov 26 2016, 03:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,925 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Nov 25 2016, 09:36 PM)

1) File Server IP
2) Router IP

You mean the PCs DNS settings are pointing to File server and Router?

Can the router function as a DNS server?

Why don't you just set them all to point to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, and you are all set to go. biggrin.gif

wailam
post Nov 26 2016, 03:18 PM

Apa benda ini?
950 posts

its either you switch or your router problem. Did you check the LAN cable also?

This post has been edited by wailam: Nov 26 2016, 03:18 PM
TSblurcase
post Nov 26 2016, 03:41 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(indmastore @ Nov 26 2016, 02:56 PM)
Are you using the stock router? Most likely its the culprit. Changing to better quality router will likely solve the issue.
Your server works fine even if the internet is down coz the connection goes through the switch, not the router.
smile.gif
The router is changed to Asus one already, and the router is stable with no random reboots. Only the Modem is still TM.

QUOTE(howszat @ Nov 26 2016, 03:15 PM)
You mean the PCs DNS settings are pointing to File server and Router?

Can the router function as a DNS server?

Why don't you just set them all to point to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, and you are all set to go. biggrin.gif
Forgot to mention that the Windows server is also a domain, so all PCs login to domain. Hence the reason for the DNS to point to the server first to login to domain. Then 2nd DNS point to router for internet. At least that is my theory.

QUOTE(wailam @ Nov 26 2016, 03:18 PM)
its either you switch or your router problem. Did you check the LAN cable also?
Double checked all LAN cables with cable tester, all ok. Some of the PCs also I have changed ports in the switch before. The problem is that its not all PCs have the same intermittent internet at the same time. Its occasional and happens to different PCs at different times.
indmastore
post Nov 26 2016, 03:46 PM

4 posts

intermittent how? stops working until you restart?
or sluggish?
How fast is your internet?
Is the diagram accurate (ie only 1 server and 3 PC) ?
jio
post Nov 26 2016, 03:48 PM

Casual
368 posts

The file/domain server DNS server should forward the external DNS queries to the DNS servers of your choice such as Google DNS server. Also remove the router ip from the DHCP setup so only your local DNS server will be used.
howszat
post Nov 26 2016, 03:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,925 posts

QUOTE(blurcase @ Nov 26 2016, 03:41 PM)
Forgot to mention that the Windows server is also a domain, so all PCs login to domain. Hence the reason for the DNS to point to the server first to login to domain. Then 2nd DNS point to router for internet. At least that is my theory.

The Domain server can be a DNS server when configured properly, but I doubt the router can. biggrin.gif

The Domain DNS server needs to resolve internal hostnames, but where is it pointing to for external (internet) hostnames?

The router is unlikely to be able to function as a DNS server, so I would just the change it to 8.8.8.8 and test.
TSblurcase
post Nov 26 2016, 06:45 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(indmastore @ Nov 26 2016, 03:46 PM)
intermittent how? stops working until you restart?
or sluggish?
How fast is your internet?
Is the diagram accurate (ie only 1 server and 3 PC) ?
Intermittent as in drops for a minute maybe, then resumes to normal by itself, no restart of anything required.

Internet speed is 20Mbps, and the diagram is overall accurate except that there is actually 12 PCs rather than just 3.

QUOTE(jio @ Nov 26 2016, 03:48 PM)
The file/domain server DNS server should forward the external DNS queries to the DNS servers of your choice such as Google DNS server. Also remove the router ip from the DHCP setup so only your local DNS server will be used.
Noted, will try that. Thanks.

QUOTE(howszat @ Nov 26 2016, 03:59 PM)
The Domain server can be a DNS server when configured properly, but I doubt the router can.  biggrin.gif

The Domain DNS server needs to resolve internal hostnames, but where is it pointing to for external (internet) hostnames?

The router is unlikely to be able to function as a DNS server, so I would just the change it to 8.8.8.8 and test.
Noted, will try that also. Thanks.
abubin
post Nov 29 2016, 05:42 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

Since you are using AD, the DNS MUST be pointed to an AD DNS server. The secondary pointing to a non AD DNS is the one causing the problem.

If you only have 1 AD DNS then just point primary to it and leave secondary blank.

The in your AD DNS, configure the forwarding DNS to the router or directly to public DNS like 8.8.8.8 or 1.9.1.9 or both (in case tm dns is down or google dns is down).

TSblurcase
post Nov 30 2016, 06:00 PM

Casual
418 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Nov 29 2016, 05:42 PM)
Since you are using AD, the DNS MUST be pointed to an AD DNS server. The secondary pointing to a non AD DNS is the one causing the problem.

If you only have 1 AD DNS then just point primary to it and leave secondary blank.

The in your AD DNS, configure the forwarding DNS to the router or directly to public DNS like 8.8.8.8 or 1.9.1.9 or both (in case tm dns is down or google dns is down).
Noted, thanks for the advice. smile.gif
dcheah
post Dec 2 2016, 09:21 AM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

The best practices is use a "DNS Forwarder" for all your External DNS queries. Please read the below link

DNS Forwarding.

If you don't have the budget/luxury of having another server, then its too bad. Also I hope you have a firewall in place to protect your network too.

Cause by using your ADDS to connect to external DNS server (eg. 8.8.8.8) will increase the risk to an attack as you are disclosing your internal computers to the outside world... which its a bad idea.

Anyway since your problems is solved, just have a look for your references.
mydurian
post Dec 2 2016, 03:33 PM

Enthusiast
854 posts

Best to use the server as the DNS / DHCP servers. Remove the DHCP service from the router.
Christopher_LKL
post Dec 2 2016, 03:42 PM

Kairi Kawaii ^^
1,398 posts

1) the router is your DHCP sevice? if yes, configure the DHCP config with DNS pointed to your internal ADDC (active directory domain controller), secondary leave blank and not to other public dns thinking as backup.

2)as dcheah mentioned, in ADDC, configure forwarder to public DNS.

3) as a word of advice, please bring up additional ADDC (with DNS role) before its too late. this way you can have redundancy at least.
- hopefully your server is not a VM, if it is please do not snapshot/restore when you have more than 1 ADDC.

4) your server please point to yourself as the DNS server (remove any secondary if you do not have any other ADDC)

This post has been edited by Christopher_LKL: Dec 2 2016, 03:44 PM
itsavvy
post Dec 2 2016, 04:10 PM

44 posts

Have you try to monitor the network traffic and bandwidth.
Any P2P software running in the background might the culprit.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0162sec    0.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:34 AM