Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Innova Overheated ?, Keep Less Water -Radiator & Reverse Tank

views

TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 10:27 AM, updated 8y ago

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

Hi,
Recently, my Innova's Radiator Reverse Tank keep less water, Overheated issue?
In fact, Temperature Reading is Normal all the while (those less water), for I keep adding water.
Housing, Reverse Tank and Hosts were replaced, new ones!
Can't tell water marks on the floor.

Any Experiences or Ideas about that signs?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 10:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(azrilyp @ Nov 21 2016, 10:31 AM)
Could be small leakage. Check for water marks around the engine area. If you are using blue color coolant, there maybe some blue color markings around.
Yes, Blue Coolant! I was trying hard to check the water mark, seems see nothing around. Can you point out where should I more specific to check?
The leakages you mean is most probably hosts area?
Not Exactly Engine Overheated?
TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 11:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Nov 21 2016, 10:57 AM)
wana add, if thats oil.... you are in for a 'great' time..... a real treat...... console.gif
Means? blink.gif
TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 12:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Nov 21 2016, 11:40 AM)
What he means that if could be as 'minor' as a worn head gasket, or in a worst case scenario a warped head requiring skimming or even possibly a new engine head.

Feel if there's any sign of oil in your radiator/radiator cap.
Oh... that's what I worry too! Hopefully the worse is Gasket issue!

QUOTE(azrilyp @ Nov 21 2016, 11:41 AM)
what's the age of the car? Check engine oil level for any oil burning.
Oil Level just normal, no less at all, so far!
TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 04:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(mactreouser @ Nov 21 2016, 12:02 PM)
Oh... that's what I worry too! Hopefully the worse is Gasket issue!
Oil Level just normal, no less at all, so far!
QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Nov 21 2016, 12:33 PM)
^this

to me, even a headgasket is bad.... this is something i personally dont wana have to deal with....

1)check if thats actually oil in your radiator... pics not clear but seems like it.... (alittlebit is fine, alot then not fine)
2)check if there is any water in the engine oil.... check dipstick, oil should be clear, no check the oil cap, if its really bad, you will see lots of water/condensation on the oil cap (or shove your finger into the hole and feel around it, take your finger out and check for signs of water, if theres water, confirm headgasket kaput.
**only check when car is cool, if you get burns dont blame us ya  icon_idea.gif

3)sometimes if the coolant goes low for no reason, its actually leaking into the combustion chamber and gettting burnt. To check, look at the exhaust for white smoke which points to coolant or just water vapour (dont test in the rain, panic last week cause car was spewing loads of white smoke, turned out to be a puddle of water in my exhaust which pooled in the pipe due to my parking on a slope and rain.... laugh.gif )
**ppl do say burning coolant smells sweet, i duno, never smelt it b4  blink.gif
4)for the fun of it, you can take the radiator cap off, then start the car, let it run til the thermostat is open (you should see water swirling) sometimes bubbles pop out the neck.... if there are bubbles, well thats exhaust and its quite bad

good luck  thumbsup.gif

**wana add that a headgasket is probably one of the worst things that can be happening to you anyway (short of a cracked block ofc), not sure whats the liquid's designated flow in your car, but in my model, the automatic variants dlow atf into the radiator as well, in some cases, the radiator vracks or springs a leak internally mixing the 2 liquids... you should also check if the oil (if it is oil) is atf fluid.... if yes, best you check your atf fluid via the dipstick.
QUOTE(zeng @ Nov 21 2016, 01:27 PM)
Op, the whitish and yellowish stuff at radiator fill hole neck looks like oil crud, indicating engine oil mixing with water.
Check with bare index fingers whether it's oily to touch/feel ?
Bros. appreciate your advices and suggestions! So far what I did is Touched and Feel the Brownish thingy & the water inside Radiator, don't feel like Oil !! hmm.gif

TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 04:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Nov 21 2016, 04:41 PM)
Go to a workshop & ask them to perform a pressure test.. Doing this will show possible leaks.
Tested last week, everything was fine! This just happened after the trip last few days. cry.gif
TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 05:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Nov 21 2016, 04:46 PM)
How old is your Innova? If there's no sight of leaks externally, it could be a head gasket leak already.

Experience workshop should have another testing tool to check for gasket leak.
YUP, will send in tomorrow. Just to get some infos here from different users biggrin.gif
TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 06:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Nov 21 2016, 05:37 PM)
Do update us on the outcome. Thanks!
For sure. Really afraid Head Damaged! Heard about hard to get Potong Head... bangwall.gif
TSmactreouser
post Nov 21 2016, 09:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Nov 21 2016, 06:15 PM)
Had this issue with my Renault Kangoo b4. Head warped. Oil mixed with water. Inside all mayonnaise.
Wow... It seems mine will be that condition when open up ya?! Expensive for that repair?

QUOTE(Thrust @ Nov 21 2016, 08:03 PM)
Head gasket warped will soon happen to all cars. It can be repaired, no issue.
Oh, Really? So i'm not the lucky one la? brows.gif
So as your experiences, Gasket Replacement is the most worse condition in my case?
As question above, how much for the whole service? what's including upon the service? Head Skim too?
TSmactreouser
post Nov 22 2016, 12:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Nov 21 2016, 09:32 PM)
Mine ended up with new engine. Cost around RM 4.5K with installation. Old engine beyond repair. Block also cracked.
OMG cry.gif

QUOTE(Thrust @ Nov 21 2016, 10:10 PM)
Yup. Normally coolant loss is due to cracked radiator and coolant hoses. If those are not the culprit, it could be a blown head gasket.

How old is ur car anyway? You can actually try to replace ur radiator cap & observe from there. It is a cheap trial and error step as worn out cap will allow coolant loss through vapor.
My car around 10 yrs! Actually Radiator Top Housing already replaced, cap should changed together?
TSmactreouser
post Nov 22 2016, 06:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(eddievh @ Nov 22 2016, 12:14 AM)
If engine is at normal operating temperature and you press the water hose the hose feel soft like no pressure that means your radiator cap is bad no more holding pressure. Bad cap usually will cause water lost problem .
Oh, really? Then it's a good news, Bro! 😅
But, if I'm not mistaken, it seemed just replaced a few months ago... So fast wear out? 😢
TSmactreouser
post Nov 22 2016, 08:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Nov 22 2016, 07:05 AM)
You check and see whether ur radiator cap is old or new. If its old, try replacing it.
Ok! In fact, those brownish thingy on the the cap and surrounding @ the radiator mouth, most possibility is the mixed of water and oil?
TSmactreouser
post Nov 22 2016, 08:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Nov 22 2016, 08:39 AM)
TS,
As some have mentioned, check the radiator cap, coz your looks very rusty on the spring part. Use your fingers to press onto the inner bottom part of the cap, there should be a smooth compression motion onto the spring.

No harm changing it, as its the cheapest and easiest part to change and monitor from there.
Sure Bro. Will do!
As mentioned, the brownish thingy meant something even worse than the cap issue, right? I mean if cap issue won't caused the brownish?
TSmactreouser
post Nov 22 2016, 04:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Nov 22 2016, 11:21 AM)
Don't remove that brownish/yellowish stuff. Leave it alone.
Next go to a highly recommended  'competent' mechanic with vast experience dealing with 'oil/water' contamination  , not any mechanic.
Ask him to confirm : whether it is 'oil/water' contamination.

Note:I don't think that brownie stuff is rust.
Bingo, you are expert enough! Just checked and dropped car @ workshop. Confirmed, cap on the engine head showed Water mark, which means water entering to engine!

So, it's Engine Head overheated! Now, hope that head could be skimmed and gasket changes, then pay and drive! If nowhere to skim, then need to potong used head, in fact, a lot of potong nowadays selling whole engine, some even included Gearbox! Will be expensive 😢😢😢
TSmactreouser
post Nov 22 2016, 08:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,451 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Nov 22 2016, 08:35 PM)
TS, your car engine overheated before? Because engine head rarely will warp unless its been exposed to high temperature.
I myself, never... perhaps first hand driver? dry.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.29    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:41 PM