Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mountain Biking V33, less yappin' more brappin'

views

aquilaTE
post Jan 11 2018, 05:10 PM

Casual
481 posts

QUOTE(thurtin @ Jan 11 2018, 04:05 PM)
If you spend most of your time riding in taman or non-technical stuff, you shouldnt change your current tyres. Always prioritise your regular trails/riding areas first. You can definitely use your current tyres in any trail, especially if you are not going super fast.

Once you ride more of the technical trails, you will naturally start to feel that your tyres will struggle or cannot keep up. Then its time to change to more aggressive, wider tyres.
QUOTE(jwrx @ Jan 11 2018, 04:14 PM)
dont you find it a waste of money to have 2 wheelsets? Personally im using 2.5/2.3, dont have any issues with road riding..its obviously not 'fast', but to me its fine 

The Ikon's are fine, they are standard tires for many bikes.
Actually, I thought of just wanting to get another front wheelset so I can swap between them either riding in the taman or on the trail. I felt the bike slipping a few times on descent when I was on the red trail. Another time also on descent, I felt every bones in my body shook and here I thought I lack the better fork or the rear sus... Well, I guess it's too soon and probably I need more session on the trails to justify changing my tyre type/size?

This post has been edited by aquilaTE: Jan 11 2018, 05:11 PM
jwrx
post Jan 11 2018, 05:11 PM

On my way
515 posts

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jan 11 2018, 05:10 PM)
Actually, I thought of just wanting to get another front wheelset so I can swap between them either riding in the taman or on the trail. I felt the bike slipping a few times on descent when I was on the red trail. Another time also on descent, I felt every bones in my body shook and here I thought I lack the better fork or the rear sus... Well, I looks I need more session on the trails to justify changing my tyre type/size?
where are you riding? if its kiara...i recommend full sus with at least 150mm front.
aquilaTE
post Jan 11 2018, 05:12 PM

Casual
481 posts

QUOTE(jwrx @ Jan 11 2018, 05:11 PM)
where are you riding? if its kiara...i recommend full sus with at least 150mm front.
Currently I have tried two trails... Putrajaya and Elmina.
jwrx
post Jan 11 2018, 05:13 PM

On my way
515 posts

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jan 11 2018, 05:12 PM)
Currently I have tried two trails... Putrajaya and Elmina.
Putrajaya as in PCP? PCP doesnt really need wide tires, the trails are very well groomed and not much gnarly/technical sections like Kiara. Ikons should be fine. I think you just need to ride more, save your money for other upgrades.

Brake less (tires will grip more) learn to weigh/unweight your bike for additional traction

This post has been edited by jwrx: Jan 11 2018, 05:15 PM
aquilaTE
post Jan 11 2018, 05:16 PM

Casual
481 posts

QUOTE(jwrx @ Jan 11 2018, 05:13 PM)
Putrajaya as in PCP? PCP doesnt really need wide tires, the trails are very well groomed and not much gnarly/technical sections like Kiara. Ikons should be fine. I think you just need to ride more
Ic ok... then I guess it's my lack of skill then. Thx.

Btw, I've heard lots of people recommended full sus for Kiara but can a hardtail still do it with sufficient skill? Not that I will go out there any time soon.
jwrx
post Jan 11 2018, 05:20 PM

On my way
515 posts

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jan 11 2018, 05:16 PM)
Ic ok... then I guess it's my lack of skill then. Thx.

Btw, I've heard lots of people recommended full sus for Kiara but can a hardtail still do it with sufficient skill? Not that I will go out there any time soon.
Any trail can be done on a hardtail with sufficient skill, its just whether its safe/enjoyable.

There are many trails in kiara, many are suitable for hardtails, 2k,4k, kawan-kawan, upper/lower short, magic carpet, carnaval, snakes and ladders etc

There are also many trails that CAN be done on hardtail...but you really shouldnt...bunion,ATM,Shaolin, Haddock, flintstones

Plenty of ppl ride Kiara on hardtails, they just avoid the gnarly trails
aquilaTE
post Jan 11 2018, 05:28 PM

Casual
481 posts

QUOTE(jwrx @ Jan 11 2018, 05:20 PM)
Any trail can be done on a hardtail with sufficient skill, its just whether its safe/enjoyable.

There are many trails in kiara, many are suitable for hardtails, 2k,4k, kawan-kawan, upper/lower short, magic carpet, carnaval, snakes and ladders etc 

There are also many trails that CAN be done on hardtail...but you really shouldnt...bunion,ATM,Shaolin, Haddock, flintstones 

Plenty of ppl ride Kiara on hardtails, they just avoid the gnarly trails
Ic ok... noted... I'll need to read up and study more on Kiara b4 I try the abovementioned trails with my current setup. Cheers.
ahchat
post Jan 11 2018, 06:36 PM

WISE KUCENG
885 posts

hey guys, anyone here know whats the difference between shimano xtr m9000 and shimano xtr m9020? couldn't find much info on xtr m9020
freddy manson
post Jan 12 2018, 09:32 AM

ðñê hêll ð£ å gµ¥
4,817 posts

QUOTE(ahchat @ Jan 11 2018, 06:36 PM)
hey guys, anyone here know whats the difference between shimano xtr m9000 and shimano xtr m9020? couldn't find much info on xtr m9020
this is a good read from Shimano themselves:
- http://bike.shimano.com/content/sac-bike/e...on-of-xtr-.html

New FD-M9000 (triple) and FD-M9020 (double) front derailleurs that utilize a new structure with three mount options and new cable routing: High clamp, Low clamp, D-type, E-type (without plate).

//
The XTR M9000 Race brake system has race-tuned power and overall lighter weight thanks to a magnesium caliper and master cylinder as well as a carbon lever blade. The XTR M9020 Trail brake system is trail-tuned for power and stiffness using pre-loaded aluminium caliper and a new SERVO-WAVE lever with a powerful and stiff carbon-alloy structure.

//
WH-M9000-TL: Available in both a 27.5 and 29” option, the XTR M9000 Race wheels have a 20mm internal rim width and a new UST tubeless carbon laminated aluminum rim.
WH-M9020-TL: Available in both a 27.5 and 29” option, the XTR M9020 Trail wheels have an 24mm internal rim width and a new UST tubeless carbon laminated aluminum rim.
this is a little bit on the FD and brake system. others is also available in the article

This post has been edited by freddy manson: Jan 12 2018, 09:49 AM
croomaniac
post Jan 12 2018, 09:51 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jan 11 2018, 05:10 PM)
Actually, I thought of just wanting to get another front wheelset so I can swap between them either riding in the taman or on the trail. I felt the bike slipping a few times on descent when I was on the red trail. Another time also on descent, I felt every bones in my body shook and here I thought I lack the better fork or the rear sus... Well, I guess it's too soon and probably I need more session on the trails to justify changing my tyre type/size?
I have 2 wheelsets. Because:

First wheelsets are with Magic Mary front and back. This is solely used for trail riding.

Second wheelsets are with Maxxis Ardent front and back. F 2.4, R 2.1. This is for taman/road/jamboree and also trails sometimes

Pros
[1] You will have options to swap wheelsets based on whats tires for what purpose
[2] You will have spares if one of the wheelsets koyak (broken spokes, hub issues)
[3] Your bike will have 2 looks
[4] You will not 'waste' your trail knobs on the road
[5] You don't have to change tires everytime want to change trail/road

Cons
[1] Wheelsets are not cheap (depends on your budget)
[2] More space needed in your home
[3] Hassle changing cassette
[4] Need to fork out for rotors as well (advisably the same one for both wheelsets)

Obviously you cannot have both (grip & fast rolling) in the same tires. I've ridden MM on the roads of putrajaya and guess what? I finished last and I just couldn't go fast (the tires are just too slow and heavy). Used up all of my energy. Likewise, I feel more confident with MM on the trails, the grip is just superb.

Some people will have different bikes for different purposes. Trail bikes for trails only, HT, RB etc etc. But I just couldn't afford to buy new (plus space concern), so another wheelset is the best option to opt for. Cheers.

thurtin
post Jan 12 2018, 10:23 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(croomaniac @ Jan 12 2018, 09:51 AM)
I have 2 wheelsets. Because:

First wheelsets are with Magic Mary front and back. This is solely used for trail riding.

Second wheelsets are with Maxxis Ardent front and back. F 2.4, R 2.1. This is for taman/road/jamboree and also trails sometimes

Pros
[1] You will have options to swap wheelsets based on whats tires for what purpose
[2] You will have spares if one of the wheelsets koyak (broken spokes, hub issues)
[3] Your bike will have 2 looks
[4] You will not 'waste' your trail knobs on the road
[5] You don't have to change tires everytime want to change trail/road

Cons
[1] Wheelsets are not cheap (depends on your budget)
[2] More space needed in your home
[3] Hassle changing cassette
[4] Need to fork out for rotors as well (advisably the same one for both wheelsets)

Obviously you cannot have both (grip & fast rolling) in the same tires. I've ridden MM on the roads of putrajaya and guess what? I finished last and I just couldn't go fast (the tires are just too slow and heavy). Used up all of my energy. Likewise, I feel more confident with MM on the trails, the grip is just superb.

Some people will have different bikes for different purposes. Trail bikes for trails only, HT, RB etc etc. But I just couldn't afford to buy new (plus space concern), so another wheelset is the best option to opt for. Cheers.
Or the cheaper and easier alternative is to buy 2 sets of tires and change them on your own? icon_rolleyes.gif

It's easier of course if you are still on tubes, but a bit more leceh with tubeless. May or may not need a air compressor/tubeless pump/co2 to seat the tires properly.

thurtin
post Jan 12 2018, 10:23 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(ahchat @ Jan 11 2018, 06:36 PM)
SRAM > Shimano icon_idea.gif
ahchat
post Jan 12 2018, 11:13 AM

WISE KUCENG
885 posts

QUOTE(thurtin @ Jan 12 2018, 10:23 AM)
SRAM > Shimano  icon_idea.gif
Between durability n smooth shifting, ill take durability hahaha...sram manja sikit
thurtin
post Jan 12 2018, 11:22 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(ahchat @ Jan 12 2018, 11:13 AM)
Between durability n smooth shifting, ill take durability hahaha...sram manja sikit
So true, but the shifting and shifter feel is worth it.

XTR really worth the price? Have not tried before really. Some say its just a lighter XT.
croomaniac
post Jan 12 2018, 11:49 AM

Getting Started
269 posts

QUOTE(thurtin @ Jan 12 2018, 10:23 AM)
Or the cheaper and easier alternative is to buy 2 sets of tires and change them on your own?  icon_rolleyes.gif

It's easier of course if you are still on tubes, but a bit more leceh with tubeless. May or may not need a air compressor/tubeless pump/co2 to seat the tires properly.
you can, however try that too.. nod.gif
aquilaTE
post Jan 12 2018, 12:13 PM

Casual
481 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This was what I thought initially as having the right tyres for the right condition. I'll probably get a new wheelset including an additional cassette and rotors for ease of swapping. But for now, I think after what others have shared, I better brush up and practice my skill first b4 I start improving the bike with the little skill I have.

Thought of swapping tyres instead but I think I rather pay a bit more for convenience.

In the meantime, has anyone heard of Dragonback wheelset before? I've used their tubes and pedals so far I find it good and no problem.

thurtin
post Jan 12 2018, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Jan 12 2018, 12:13 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This was what I thought initially as having the right tyres for the right condition. I'll probably get a new wheelset including an additional cassette and rotors for ease of swapping. But for now, I think after what others have shared, I better brush up and practice my skill first b4 I start improving the bike with the little skill I have.

Thought of swapping tyres instead but I think I rather pay a bit more for convenience.

In the meantime, has anyone heard of Dragonback wheelset before? I've used their tubes and pedals so far I find it good and no problem.
To me, having two wheelsets is quite an overkill. I don't know anyone that does that really. Might as well get 2 bikes! brows.gif

Changing your own tyres is actually not that difficult after you tried it once, but yeah sometimes you just want to bring it to the shop and get them to do it for you.

Dragonback? Nope. Must of one of those brands Taiwan. Usually should be ok for XC and light trail riding. You get what you pay for.
aquilaTE
post Jan 12 2018, 02:44 PM

Casual
481 posts

QUOTE(thurtin @ Jan 12 2018, 01:00 PM)
To me, having two wheelsets is quite an overkill. I don't know anyone that does that really. Might as well get 2 bikes!  brows.gif

Changing your own tyres is actually not that difficult after you tried it once, but yeah sometimes you just want to bring it to the shop and get them to do it for you.

Dragonback? Nope. Must of one of those brands Taiwan. Usually should be ok for XC and light trail riding. You get what you pay for.
Two bikes still more costly than two wheelsets though deep down in my heart, I want another bike... Lol

I've changed my tube once without a tool and I say, it's far easier than I anticipated. My last MTB was that Lerun Mounti sold by Singer back in the 80s. That one I can tell you, I couldn't if I tried. MTB has come a long way...

I was thinking they are the cheapest wheels I can find in the market since finding another similar stock wheels are either expensive or harder to find. I most probably will go what you think... dragonback for XC and taman while my stock for the trails.

leinnz
post Jan 12 2018, 03:03 PM

oldfags
755 posts

dragonback is a brand from XDS company if i not mistaken.
so far it is cheapest rim with sealed bearing hubs.
ahchat
post Jan 12 2018, 07:10 PM

WISE KUCENG
885 posts

QUOTE(thurtin @ Jan 12 2018, 11:22 AM)
So true, but the shifting and shifter feel is worth it.

XTR really worth the price? Have not tried before really. Some say its just a lighter XT.
shimano xt m8000 shifting is quite rough, even my zee shifter feels better...

havent tried xtr, and yes, the price is quite steep

64 Pages « < 60 61 62 63 64 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0285sec    0.25    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:13 AM