Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> First view of EMUI 5.0 Android 7.0!, What do you guys think?

views

TSJasonshah
post Nov 11 2016, 03:16 PM, updated 5y ago

26 posts

Guys, recently Huawei just announced their new EMUI 5.0 Android 7.0. I could say that this is an improvement in their UI style plus a lot of feature enhancement. To recap EMUI stands for Emotion UI and it's the name for Huawei's smartphone software, which sits on top of the Android OS and gives Huawei phones a distinctive look and feel.

user posted image
Here you can see they went with the minimalize way with a bluish theme on the EMUI 5.0

EMUI 5.0 adds a fair few new features compared with EMUI 4.1, as well as changing up the overall design interface. But it's one little change that has made a significant amount of difference. The interface reveals a simple, atmospheric elegance in terms of color, font, layout & icon. Some of the Home Screen changes are:
① The navigation buttons of EMUI 5.0, like the notification bar, are fully immersive now. The screen can widen the field of vision.
② Compared to EMUI 4.1, the weather component of EMUI 5.0 left aligns by default, allows the screen space in a limited space more neat and orderly.
③ Photo gallery display box and music playback box, the EMUI 4.1 default desktop widgets, have been removed in EMUI 5.0 by default. They can be added manually according to needs.
④ App icons of EMUI 5.0 are more refined and intuitive than EMUI 4.1.
It also changes the aesthetics of version 4.1, with a cleaner, blue-tinted design that's pleasing on the eye. Ease of use is a major point here, and Huawei reckons that every last feature is no more than three taps away. That's not entirely true when you get down to more obscure stuff, but certainly all of the major features are in easy reach, especially with Android Nougat's more user-friendly settings menu.

Brand new pure blue UI
According from a source from Huawei, the brand new UI and effects are inspired by the blues and whites of the Mediterranean, thus providing a “pure” and clean interface. As you can see below, the UI is neat & clean compared to the previous version. With the polished UI, I think they can manage to capture the American & European market, which they have been trying to penetrate.

user posted image
user posted image

Icon Revamp

user posted image

The icons visual characteristics has also improved & features more design aesthetic towards Android Nougat, giving it a modern & fresher look. For functional app like on the 1st row of icons, they have standardized it to cool color based while the 2nd row, is for lifestyle app & distinguished by the warm color.
These are my initial findings on the EMUI 5.0. I will share on later about my other discoveries when I got time. Till then!

PS: what do you guys think of the new UI? good or not?

This post has been edited by Jasonshah: Nov 11 2016, 03:19 PM
Baconateer
post Nov 11 2016, 03:19 PM

Meh..... (TM)
4,201 posts

that new blue UI got a very iOS-ish feeling..
TSJasonshah
post Nov 11 2016, 03:49 PM

26 posts

yeah..but i think its better than previous version
post Nov 12 2016, 10:30 AM

Enthusiast
970 posts

Love it and nothing wrong if it looked like whatever..
CarroTT
post Nov 12 2016, 11:38 AM

ms. sunflower
1,207 posts

QUOTE(Baconateer @ Nov 11 2016, 03:19 PM)
that new blue UI got a very iOS-ish feeling..
actually very MIUI feeling
TSJasonshah
post Nov 16 2016, 09:10 AM

26 posts

QUOTE(NSanjay @ Nov 13 2016, 12:32 AM)
EMUI ROM are sweet & awesome!
WHich model ur using bro?
TSJasonshah
post Nov 16 2016, 09:11 AM

26 posts

QUOTE(CarroTT @ Nov 12 2016, 11:38 AM)
actually very MIUI feeling
yeah..but miui is more toward ios feeling..
xperiaDROID
post Nov 16 2016, 07:33 PM

K
3,737 posts

Not bad lah, at least they added some basic Android elements like the app drawer.

This post has been edited by xperiaDROID: Nov 16 2016, 07:34 PM
AeronBabe
post Nov 16 2016, 07:47 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

QUOTE(xperiaDROID @ Nov 16 2016, 07:33 PM)
Not bad lah, at least they added some basic Android elements like the app drawer.
thumbup.gif this
TSJasonshah
post Nov 17 2016, 11:30 AM

26 posts

So guys, here is another part of the EMUI discovery. Been playing around with the beta version for a while. Usually when we explore in settings, the UI/UX is similar to other Android devices. In EMUI 5.0 they have refined the settings by making it easier & users can personalized the settings itself.

user posted image

•This includes simplified gestures & added a new drawer feature. For settings that take two or more steps to set up, users can now go directly back to the main settings page with one gesture. The trick is users can simply sweep from the left edge of screen to the right. Brilliant indeed. Saves me time than previous EMUI.

•Huawei also have rearrange the settings so you can get to what you want faster. The menu on each settings can be set to automatic visibility timeout thus giving you more space when browsing through the settings

•Another great feature that I think is helpful is the suggestions feature. It can provide users with more personalized settings. The EMUI can learn on all your movement & user behavior based on their sophisticated algorithm in a bid to ensure there’s always enough of the right hardware resources for each app you want to use. It achieves this using a combination of smart CPU management based on most recently used apps, storage defragmentation – Huawei has replaced the native Android file system with F2FS which has a much smaller fail rate – memory compression and GPU acceleration thanks to native Vulkan support.

App Drawer - Finally!
In addition to the Drawer Feature on the EMUI 5.0., Huawei has finally manage to add a newly designed drawer feature. The great things is you can either enabled it or disabled it anytime you like based on your preferred preference. When this feature is enabled, it hides non-system preset apps in a drawer on the home screen, presenting you with a simple and tidy layout. It seems more polished than on previous EMUI and there is definitely less lag as well.
user posted image

How to open it? Just simply go to:
Settings -> Home screen style -> Drawer -> click the entrance button in Fig. 2.
There is also two ways of users to find a specific app by:
① By search box
② By alphabetical index

Of course, there are parts of the interface that are similar to previous iterations and a customisable home screen including transitions and settings is still present. Yet, all of Huawei’s apps seem to have undergone the same ideological transformation, with a focus on nature and the azure with white and blue interfaces interspersed with gentle, organic animations.

With all of this enhancement & the way they strive to attract more consumers, I won’t be surprised if they manage to surpass Apple to be the No.2 global brand by 2018 like what Huawei's chief executive of consumer business group, Richard Yu mentioned in this article http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Huawei-...ple-and-Samsung.

Plausible or Impossible?

xxboxx
post Nov 17 2016, 11:34 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
4,664 posts

All I can say is thank god for the recent app is now like stock Android. Emui 4.1 and below the recent app is counter productive and cumbersome.
betul98
post Nov 18 2016, 08:27 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

Great Man. Cool info. i also got some from other blog..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battery Management & Data Saver

The EMUI 5.0 is probably one of the most talk about Android UI enhancement this year, and all the exciting new features are already pouring in. The latest hints at an extended battery life and quick charging capabilities. Some information that I found is:
• EMUI have added the Huawei-developed ROG power saving technology for the first time, which decreases the screen resolution to save battery power.
• Optimized the Phone Manager, which helps you manage your device more easily and conveniently.
• Optimized battery management, which allows you to check the battery power and battery power consumption for any period within two days.
Some differences between EMUI 4.1 and EMUI 5.0 is
• “Protected apps” (EMUI 4.1) is changed to “Close apps after screen lock” (EMUI 5.0).
• “Enable ROG power saving” (EMUI 4.1) is changed to “Low resolution power saving” (EMUI 5.0).

You can refer to the image below. They have redefined the whole layout for better user experience & easier navigation.

user posted image

Another cool feature in the EMUI 5.0 is the Data Saver. Data saver helps to reduce data usage by preventing background apps from sending or receiving data and limiting the data access frequency of running apps.
When data saver is active, a data icon with a leaf will appear in the status bar.
This may prevent users from receiving updates from emails, chat and other social media apps, and images will only be displayed when you touch them.

To enabled the data saver mode, go to Settings -> Mobile data -> Data saver. Wallah you’re done!’

user posted image

Im pretty sure this app will be useful for us as this will prolong the battery life when we’re not using the phone. It can be very irritating when too many background apps are running & consuming the data & battery. But still i need more time to monitor the usefulness of this feature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any comments dudes? Better than previous version EMUI 4.0 right? hmm.gif hmm.gif

TSJasonshah
post Nov 18 2016, 08:47 AM

26 posts

for me..its better but..still needs to hands on than i would know..
anyway here is more info that i got.

Several surveys undertaken over the last few years on the effect of modern day devices like smartphones, tablets and e-readers on our sleeping patterns have had similar results: these electronics have a huge negative impact on our sleep. Much of that is attributed to the “blue light” produced by such devices and others including television screens. Blue light affects the release of a natural hormone, melatonin, which is responsible for the onset of sleep.

This has led to a wider discussion on what can be done since these devices are part and parcel of our lives today and they are not going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, we’re just getting more every other passing day. Most phones now come with some kind of night screen mode, which filters out blue light in the evenings for easy-on-the-eye late-night browsing. On Huawei phones with EMUI 5,0, this feature is called Eye Comfort.

It will automatically adjust the backlight & color temperature according to the environmental brightness, giving comfort light while reading at night to protect your eyes.

All you have to do is just head to the Display menu in the mobile settings and then tap Eye Comfort. You can turn on this feature at any time by tapping the first slider, or else schedule the mode to self-activate with the Schedule function. You can set the start and end times and even the degree of screen warmth, so it's just how you like it.

Sample image:
user posted image

Notification & status bar
The notification & status bar features has also been redefined to enhance user experience. For instance, head to the settings menu and then Navigation. In here you'll see the option to add a notifications pull-down button to the EMUI 5.0 toolbar at the bottom of your screen.

A quick tap of that will drag down your notifications tab, saving you from reaching to the top of your phone's display. Another feature is is with this users will no longer misses their important calls or messages. To activate this, simply go to

① Settings – Notification & Status Bar - “Pulse notification light" switch. It will animate a “breathing” pulse on your device
② “Notification method ", you can choose to be prompted the numbers of notifications or no prompt at all if you don’t want any missed messages or calls to bother you.
③ The“Notification turn on screen” switch has also been moved here from “Screen lock and passwords”on the previous (EMUI 4.1) screen.
You can also turn off some seldom-used switches from the settings. For battery percentage, you can set which type of notification you want to show on the notification bar.

user posted image

So what do you guys think of this added features? Yeay or Nay? For me they have improved a lot compared to previous versions.

mentekedarah
post Nov 23 2016, 03:00 PM

18 posts

damn...getting eager to get the Mate 9..love the new polished interface. It seems they have changed the notication bar & drawer completely with new color & layout.
anyway, here is my contribution. Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------

Notification Bar
Flowing through the design aesthetics of the blue-tinted UI, the notification bar has been refresh giving it a vibrant feel. An optimized design combines shortcuts with notifications to reduce the complexity of user actions. Here we can see the blue color theme, new font and more easier operations making it user friendly.

user posted image

Shortcuts are easier to arrange and users can open a shortcut directly on the edit screen. When users received bundled notifications, the same notifications reminder cards are stacked to save space. User friendliness is the key here so EMUI 5.0 has provided users with easier notifications access. With a single touch and hold, users can now quickly block messages or notifications.

You can simply tap to expand and quickly reply without having to open the app. You can also bring down the notifications tab with a handy shortcut on the EMUI toolbar at the bottom of the display, or else by swiping your finger down the fingerprint sensor.

user posted image

From the notification drawer you can get easy access to block unwanted applications pop up according to your preferences. Overall the UI/UX accessibility is much more refined compared to the one in EMUI 4.0. Bravo to the team behind this.

------------------------------------------------

From my opinion, the EMUI are more towards pure stock android interface plus some features. Better than previous version where they've copied somewhat like ios.

samartaryarmy
post Nov 23 2016, 03:26 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(Jasonshah @ Nov 18 2016, 08:47 AM)
for me..its better but..still needs to hands on than i would know..
anyway here is more info that i got.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

great man..where did u get all this info? share with me more thumbup.gif
One feature that i heard included in EMUI 5.0 is the Huawei Share.

Most of you guys sure knows that we have multiple ways of transferring our files such as Bluetooth & so on but in EMUI 5.0 Huawei have included a new feature called Huawei Share which can be used to share images, files etc. Huawei share utilises the Wifi Direct connectivity to send files seamlessly between two devices. This means whether you have or don’t have internet connectivity there will be no problem. Easy! Transfer speed is also awesome by using the wireless transmission.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

How to use: When both of users turn on Huawei share -> one user select an image or file and click Share - > the user will open the Share screen where the other phone is displayed -> click the phone. You can share multiple files and even adding more files after selected before sharing.

Hoping to get a taste of it when I get my mate 9 soon bcs my work needs me to transfer data’s from devices to another quite a lot. So this will be good for me.

TSJasonshah
post Nov 24 2016, 03:03 PM

26 posts

----------------------Copy pasta from another blog ------------------------

When Huawei CEO Richard Yu took the stage in Munich, Germany, to introduce the company’s latest devices to the world, he also had other news to share: the advances the company had made towards improving the software that runs on its hardware; the EMUI 5.0.

Every new version of Huawei’s EMUI software is usually tuned to work with a particular new version of Android and as such, older devices can only get it when they also get an update to that specific Android version.

New Improved Contact Application!

user posted image

In EMUI 5.0, they have fine-tuned the Contacts interface according to the whole flow of the design ethos. As you can see from the image above, the search box can now be docked in the top bar. The head portraits of contacts are displayed in multi colors by default. New personal name card customization feature have been included for easier contact references & you can put your favorite contacts into the third tab to facilitate access.

Contact Customization
With the contact customization, you can customize your individual business card. You can add your name, contact number and other information you think important to your business card on your phone, and share it by QR code at any important moment.

user posted image

The contacts app also includes an option to add a contact by directly uploading their business card. Open the contacts app and tap the “scan” tab right next to the place you would normally click to add a new contact and you are done. I found this to be just as quick and efficient when adding contact details from the many business cards I get.

Now that EMUI simplifies the process of adding contacts, does it just stop there? No, it doesn’t. It goes a step ahead and makes it even easier to share contact details using quick response (QR) codes. Every contact saved on your device has a unique QR code which can be accessed by viewing the contact’s particular details and then tapping the upper right corner.

user posted image

You can do this by opening the QR code screen of a contact, click SHARE to share the contact by Huawei share, Bluetooth, Facebook etc. It’s easy and convenient!

----------------------------------------------------------

Any comments about the contact app?? hmm.gif

zfc
post Nov 27 2016, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
232 posts

Can we uninstall the Google apps such as Google plus, hangout, Chrome etc under EMUI?
mentekedarah
post Nov 28 2016, 09:06 AM

18 posts

QUOTE(zfc @ Nov 26 2016, 09:27 PM)
Can we uninstall the Google apps such as Google plus, hangout, Chrome etc under EMUI?
some of it you can uninstall bro
TSJasonshah
post Dec 1 2016, 02:31 PM

26 posts

For a certain group of smartphone users, bigger means better, and they're going to want the most feature-packed smartphone they can get – with a wholesome nifty camera features enough to feed them daily astonishing images without hassle.

All of that leads us to the next topic, the Camera Interface. It has been polished & revamped to give users a whole new level of user experience.

user posted image
As you can see above, in EMUI 5.0, the camera UI has been revamped to give it a more solid & enhanced experience for users. The icons are simplified & looking more precise than previous version

You can compare it with the previous EMUI 4.0 below.
user posted image

Plug–in Management
The camera now supports plug-in management, meaning that infrequently use modes, like document readjustment, watermark or audio note are presented as plug-ins to save internal memory on the phone. Users can add modes by clicking more and delete added modes by clicking Edit Pencil Icon.

user posted image

All the modes in the camera app will come together with modes information for better user understanding of different modes offered. Now it’s easier for beginner users to select which modes that suits their usage or scenery.

user posted image

---------------------------------------------------------
better or not??
samartaryarmy
post Dec 1 2016, 02:47 PM

29 posts

Nice..so many new features aite..look at this guys.

Three dimensional task management
In previous versions of EMUI, the task manager or recent apps switcher was stacked up next to each other horizontally. Users need to focus on what apps that they’re switching to because of the small UI present & slide on the screen one at a time. This has been proved to be quite a hassle to users who deemed more functionality & practicality while using the task manager/recent apps.

user posted image

Fret not because Huawei have been taking notes on user’s suggestions & feedbacks to ensure users received the best experience they can get while using the new EMUI 5.0.

user posted image

In the new EMUI 5.0, all task cards are stacked three dimensionally vertically on the UI. Smooth gestures allow users to scroll through tasks by sliding up and down or dismiss tasks by swiping left or right. Users can also click the Lock icon to lock whichever app preferred from being trashed & clean up if user click the trash icon to delete all tasks. Unlike in EMUI 4.1 where users have to drag down a task to lock or unlock which can be a nuisance to some users as they prefer more straightforward user experiences in their device.

This does remind me of the pure stock Android task manager. It seems Huawei is going back to the roots to win new & existing Huawei users. What do you guys think about it?

samartaryarmy
post Dec 2 2016, 10:21 AM

29 posts

Another one!

Notepad feature enhancements
In all Huawei smartphones, the notepad is a must for users to jog down their important information or data’s. In EMUI 5.0 Huawei have further retuned the notepad feature to make it more user friendly for all users. Huawei team have included a drawer home screen: where you can get back to the main menu by just using one simple gesture on whichever screen of notepad you are.

user posted image

Beside the Travel, Personal, Life and Word tags, you can create more new tags with different colours. This certainly is a big improvement. Now user can highlight & differentiate important notes or recipes just by looking at the colour tags. Apart from that, users can add an image or take a photo to insert into a note making it more intuitive. The exciting part is, users can share their note as email, text or image. Wonderful! No more restriction to send it as plain text anymore. Definitely a good improvement compared to the older version of EMUI.

App Twin!
Messaging apps like WhatsApp are usually tied to one phone number and as such it is not possible to add another WhatsApp account on a device you have already logged in to another WhatsApp account. Not with the EMUI 5.0. The EMUI 5.0 has been updated to let users add at least two instances of the same application on a device. Currently this works for Facebook, WhatsApp and WeChat.

user posted image

Usually I need to carry two devices for my business & personal whatsapp account. But with this new feature, I only have to carry one device! Such a great convenient for users like me. When the app twin is enabled, another set of icon will pop up on the home screen with the symbol 2 on it, reminding users which one is the primary & secondary account. Easy huh…
TSJasonshah
post Dec 9 2016, 02:53 PM

26 posts

Create your own paradise and store something in secret.The best feature on EMUI 5.0 by far!

In recent years, I have encountered numerous times people (family & friends) that wants to borrow my phone for whatever reason either to make a phone call, surfing the web or just playing the games on my phone. This makes me quiet uncomfortable as there is a lot of personal & private stuff inside my phone.

Securing these private stuff is a bit tricky as there is phonebook, messaging, whatsapp, facebook, photos, videos, etc & there aren’t any available third party software that is reliable to secure all of this stuff when other people are using my phone. Most of the third party software only require a simple password protection & no encryption would be made. However, it comes to my attention about a new feature on Huawei’s own skin; EMUI 5.0 that brings a pretty awesome privacy protection by utilizing the fingerprint sensor!

On EMUI 5.0, Huawei is including what they’re calling ‘Private Space’, a per-folder encryption feature which can lock folders behind a fingerprint that can be separate from the one used to unlock the phone. This feature is called MyParadise which lets you create your own private area in your smartphone and store something in secret.

Your personal items will be protected with your Fingerprint, making it even more convenient. In plain English, it’s like having two devices at the same time! If you unlock your device with the main fingerprint you registered to unlock the device with, it will prompt you to the main space. If you unlock the device with a fingerprint registered to the private space, it will switch automatically to the PrivateSpace thus securing all your private information from other users!!

user posted image

You can go to Users > Select My Paradise. Then it will prompt you to get started. There you can setup the fingerprint for the PrivateSPace. So every time other people wants to use your device, you can quickly place your PrivateSpace registered fingerprint & switch to the PrivateSpace area! Simple & easy to use.

Here are some important notes that I got while browsing the MyParadise feature:
1.PrivateSPace is meant for the sole use of the device owner, please do not share your PrivateSpace password with others.
2.You must enrol a fingerprint when creating PrivateSpace and it can’t be the same as the one used for MainSace.
3.PrivateSpace ad MainSpace share your phone’s memory. Exiting PrivateSpace will free up memory.
4.Some features available on MainSpace will not be accessible from PrivateSpace. Unavailable features will be greyed out.

This feature surely is the best thing to protect my private stuff. I hope I can get it soon on my Mate 8 so no more sneaky peeps trying to explore my device hehe.

mentekedarah
post Jan 27 2017, 04:55 PM

18 posts

got more info about P9 on a blog. Eventhough the P10 rumour is a hype now, still like the P9's design,display & camera.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Display Technology: What Makes Huawei P9 Look So Bright & Vivid
user posted image

Huawei P9 looks every bit premium. With a full HD 5.2-inch IPS display and a 2.5D glass, it sure is a feast for the eyes. But did you know with 96% color gamut, it is the world’s first smartphone to have a display that complies with the colour gamut system used in Hollywood movies?

Neatly sculpted thin bezels compliment the display. The 1080 X 1920 resolution has a pixel density of 423ppi which does a decent job. The display is bright and strikes a balance between indoors and outdoors. The bright spot, however, is its luminance. It offers 10% more luminance. Thus, the texts look crisper and the visuals, more colourful.

On the face of it, it is crisp, sharp and vibrant. And when you stick around it for longer time too, say, when you are binge-watching movies or you are on a gaming spree, it won’t disappoint you a bit. I tried my hands at some graphics-heavy games like Asphalt-Nitro for quite some time. The screen looked as clean as a pristine stream of water. I have played Temple Run in different handsets. But on P9, one amazing thing that I noticed was, no matter how fast I ran, the graphics were rolling out like gushing waves. So fast and so clean!

user posted image

I watched a movie online. I also watched some pretty old videos of the ‘40s. Colour reproduction is near-perfect and viewing angles are superb too. The screen is vivid and saturated with great contrast. Icons look sharp and free of any signs of pixelation.

Bonus: Colour Temperature

If you are moody, there is an exceptional option for you. Go to Settings > Display > Colour Temperature. Set the colour temperature of the display according to your wish or how it suits your eyes. You can have a cooler or a warmer display.

I know, a pixel density of 423ppi is not something that will impress you. But they say, beyond a particular level human eye is unable to spot any difference between resolutions. I don’t know what’s the density milestone for my eyes, but I find Huawei P9’s 423 ppi display pleasingly serving the purpose.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even after one year...the vibe is still there huh?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0263sec    0.58    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th October 2021 - 06:59 PM