Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

University Guide to Studying in Japan! (Undergraduate), Degree in Japan (English/日本語)

views

TSIntelauto
post Nov 6 2016, 07:47 AM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
55 posts

英語

When I finished my SPM, I knew that I wanted to study in Japan but the information that was given to me by various people were confusing, and when I started to live and experience life here, some of them were wrong. So, i've decided to open this thread up so that it'll help future prospective students from Malaysia if they want to pursue that undergraduate studies in Japan!

If you just finished SPM, you can go on 2 paths if you want to study in Japan.
1) Continue you STPM
2) Come to Japan immediately and study Japanese in a Japanese Language School

The reason is because we Malaysians only have 11 years of education after we finish off our SPM, so by completing STPM or any other equivalent that bumps you up to 12 years of education. But I did #2, which is attending a Japanese Language School. If you want to do this option, I suggest you find a Language School in Japan that is certified by MEXT (文部科学省)/ (Monbukagakushou) so that after you graduate, you'll be eligible to enter a University for their undergraduate program. Of course, you can also attend the Japanese Language School we have in Malaysia called Bahasa Institut Teikyo as well.

In principle, you must have completed 12 years of education to apply for admission to a university (undergraduate), junior college, or professional training college in Japan.
※Students who have completed 11 years of education to apply for admission to a college of technology, and 16 years of education for admission to a graduate school (master's program). For further details, please refer to “Admission Requirements for Japanese Higher Education Institutions.” “Admission Requirements for Japanese Higher Education Institutions” Students from countries such as India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Malaysia and Mongolia who have completed 10 or 11 years of elementary and secondary school education and wish to apply for admission to higher education institutions, such as universities, in Japan must meet either of the following eligibility criteria:

1.Have completed 12 years of formal school education by taking an additional one or two years of schooling at a university or other higher education institution or a university preparatory program in their home country.
2.Have completed university preparatory courses (junbi kyouiku katei) authorized by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (provided, however, that they have completed a level of education equivalent to a Japanese High School).

Please check this link if you're still confused.
https://www.jasso.go.jp/en/study_j/search/g...aldialogue.html

日本語

SPMを終わらせた瞬間に、来日したかったことは確かにあったが様々な人に流された情報が矛盾であったため混乱してしまいました。来日し暮らし始めると、流された情報が間違った部分もあったし、ただ単に偏見的な意見もあったんで、日本に留学したい・または働きたい若者にLowyatに投稿させていただきました。

SPMを終わらせた後、来日したかったら2つの道があります。(マレーシア人のみ)
1)STPMを続くこと。
2)すぐに来日し、日本語学校で日本語を学ぶ。

マレーシア人は基本的にSPMまでは11年の教育しか満たされていないため、日本の大学に入学する条件を満たしていない。上の①か②を選択し、12年の教育条件を満たすことになります。マスター(修士)を希望する方は16年間の教育を満たすことを条件としますので、しっかり自分の教育経路を確認しておいてください。

まとめる、教育条件として以下になります。

① 大学、または母国にある学校に12年間の教育を満たすことを条件とする。
② 文部科学省に認証された準備教育課程を完成させることを条件とする。(日本の高校生と教育年数と一緒)

以上になります。
何かご不明の点がございましたら、いつでもPMをお待ちしております。

This post has been edited by Intelauto: Jul 12 2019, 06:11 PM
red123
post Nov 10 2016, 02:38 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

are the requirements for SPM to study in Japan strict or lenient? like they expect you to get 10 As or generally accepts anyone with 5 credits and above?
TSIntelauto
post Nov 10 2016, 04:53 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(red123 @ Nov 10 2016, 02:38 PM)
are the requirements for SPM to study in Japan strict or lenient? like they expect you to get 10 As or generally accepts anyone with 5 credits and above?
Well i'm not really good grade wise since I only got 1A in my exam, but I did get more than 5 credits.
However, I think they don't really look at your SPM, they just want it as proof you finished high school.
scgoh123
post Nov 11 2016, 11:33 AM

【鬼の隠し拳:天地ガエシ】
846 posts

Just an advice:
If you really interested in studying in Japan, you should start learning Japanese Language as soon as possible (Form 2 maybe?). Early planning will benefit you in the end.

And straight away attend Language Schools right after SPM!! Yes you got it right! AFTER SPM!! Because in Japan, they will just look at how many years you have completed your studies in your home country, disregarding which qualifications you have, and your results in EJU comes on top of everything else. If not mistaken, only Language Schools provide preparation for EJU so just focus on getting good grades in EJU is enough to get into any Japan Universities!!!

Taking Pre-U Qualifications is not recommended because 90% of the case you will still have to study for EJU, which is a waste of your 2 years time to study Pre-U again. Got this information from Facon Education Fair 2015 at KLCC.
isklara
post Nov 12 2016, 02:10 PM

32 posts

So you are now in Japan? If so, how do you live there? I mean, where do you live? Do you have someone to help you around? Do you feel isolated?
TSIntelauto
post Nov 12 2016, 10:17 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(isklara @ Nov 12 2016, 02:10 PM)
So you are now in Japan? If so, how do you live there? I mean, where do you live? Do you have someone to help you around? Do you feel isolated?
Yes, I currently live in Osaka, Japan.
When I first came here, I did feel a bit isolated but not at all whatsoever now! smile.gif
noloveishere
post Nov 17 2016, 04:20 PM

Getting Started
119 posts

Is it generally expensive to go this route? Is it more financially sound to go with the traditional degree route?
sacwoc
post Nov 17 2016, 05:20 PM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(noloveishere @ Nov 17 2016, 05:20 PM)
Is it generally expensive to go this route? Is it more financially sound to go with the traditional degree route?
You have to be careful with this route. If you decide not to pursue your degree in Japan then you are stuck with only SPM and Japanese language which is of no use in UK/US/ANZ. If you have A levels/STPM/etc, at least you can still apply for unis in other countries.

For this route you need to spend a lot just to study Japanese language either in JP or Malaysia. If you decide to do it in JP you need to pay for your living expenses as well.
Kipkip
post Jan 13 2017, 06:22 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

From Teikyo Malaysia website, successful students mostly accepted into middle to lower ranking University. Top U like UOT, Kyoto U, TIT or Tohuku U seems out of reach.
would it be bcos these universities in only for Japanese or Teikyo standard of teaching is questionable?
or would path #2 as per Intelauto be a better choice for EJU points and better chances of acceptance by the top universities?

TSIntelauto
post Jan 13 2017, 07:34 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(Kipkip @ Jan 13 2017, 06:22 PM)
From Teikyo Malaysia website, successful students mostly accepted into middle to lower ranking University. Top U like UOT, Kyoto U, TIT or Tohuku U seems out of reach.
would it be bcos these universities in only for Japanese or Teikyo standard of teaching is questionable?
or would path #2 as per Intelauto be a better choice for EJU points and better chances of acceptance by the top universities?
Teikyo is a private university/group in Tokyo, so they don't have much influence on the entrance rate for foreign students into national universities such as the universities you mentioned above. The universities aren't just for Japanese, its just that they are very hard to get in, even for Japanese people! Teikyo's teaching method is ok since they were approved by MEXT so rather than the standard of teaching from Teikyo, its because its a private company, and universities tend to normally look at the certain students credentials only which makes it harder to get into a national university.

#2 would definitely help since you're living in Japan and everything is in Japanese, but I suggest you to go find a school supported by JASSO in Japan since they would be the best school for students to enter and find a high ranking university to get into! EJU points depends on how much hard work you put into your Japanese, so that depends on your willpower and willingness to learn.

This post has been edited by Intelauto: Jan 13 2017, 07:36 PM
TSOM
post Jan 18 2017, 03:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,145 posts

TS, how much time did you spend to study for EJU??? 1 year?
TSIntelauto
post Jan 18 2017, 03:47 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(TSOM @ Jan 18 2017, 03:42 PM)
TS, how much time did you spend to study for EJU??? 1 year?
Basically yes, but I studied Japanese before I came to Japan since 2014.
TSOM
post Jan 18 2017, 03:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,145 posts

QUOTE(Intelauto @ Jan 18 2017, 03:47 PM)
Basically yes, but I studied Japanese before I came to Japan since 2014.
if start from zero, how much time needed to pass EJU??

are you the only malaysian there who studied japanese for EJU?
TSIntelauto
post Jan 18 2017, 03:58 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(TSOM @ Jan 18 2017, 03:50 PM)
if start from zero, how much time needed to pass EJU??

are you the only malaysian there who studied japanese for EJU?
It's all different for each person, and depends on your passion and how much time and effort you put into Japanese.
Some people can get very high marks with just a year of study, but some can't even get above the average marks with years of study. Also, you don't 'pass' EJU, you're just given points.

No, there are a few malaysians who have studied here before, but you'll see a lot of indonesians compared to malaysians.
maprocks
post Feb 7 2017, 03:51 PM

Getting Started
267 posts

Hello TS. I'm not sure if I should ask you this question..
Is there any way to buy EJU Past year booklets in Malaysia?

TSIntelauto
post Feb 7 2017, 05:51 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(maprocks @ Feb 7 2017, 03:51 PM)
Hello TS. I'm not sure if I should ask you this question..
Is there any way to buy EJU Past year booklets in Malaysia?
Hi there maprocks!
I'm sorry, i'm currently and Japan and I never took EJU in Malaysia so I don't know..
maprocks
post Feb 7 2017, 07:27 PM

Getting Started
267 posts

QUOTE(Intelauto @ Feb 7 2017, 05:51 PM)
Hi there maprocks!
I'm sorry, i'm currently and Japan and I never took EJU in Malaysia so I don't know..
btw, it is possible to get good marks for EJU without practicing past year questions?
fyi, I'm currently in STPM, 2nd semester.
I plan to apply for undergraduate english degree program, have no basics of japanese. So, it is still advisable to take EJU since I've no basics in Japanese to handle EJU Language test.
I did plan to take Science and Maths Course 2 in EJU. So it is still advisable without any EJU Past year booklets?
I do plan to learn Japanese after finishing STPM in late November.

This post has been edited by maprocks: Feb 7 2017, 07:28 PM
TSIntelauto
post Feb 7 2017, 08:04 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(maprocks @ Feb 7 2017, 07:27 PM)
btw, it is possible to get good marks for EJU without practicing past year questions?
fyi, I'm currently in STPM, 2nd semester.
I plan to apply for undergraduate english degree program, have no basics of japanese. So, it is still advisable to take EJU since I've no basics in Japanese to handle EJU Language test.
I did plan to take Science and Maths Course 2 in EJU. So it is still advisable without any EJU Past year booklets?
I do plan to learn Japanese after finishing STPM in late November.
I think the question you are asking is like asking "Can I get good marks for SPM without practicing past year questions?"
You can, but it all depends on your own ability to study and know general knowledge of what high school students in Japan learn.

I would rather suggest you have some ability in reading Japanese just in case you don't understand the question. Maths might not need Japanese so much, but i'm sure Science course 2 needs a bit of Japanese to understand the questions.
maprocks
post Feb 7 2017, 08:23 PM

Getting Started
267 posts

QUOTE(Intelauto @ Feb 7 2017, 08:04 PM)
I think the question you are asking is like asking "Can I get good marks for SPM without practicing past year questions?"
You can, but it all depends on your own ability to study and know general knowledge of what high school students in Japan learn.

I would rather suggest you have some ability in reading Japanese just in case you don't understand the question. Maths might not need Japanese so much, but i'm sure Science course 2 needs a bit of Japanese to understand the questions.
Thanks for the reply. Appreciated it anyway. notworthy.gif
ericling
post Mar 8 2017, 09:36 AM

Getting Started
296 posts

How hard is a for a Chinese-native speaker to learn Japanese? (Read->Speak->Write as the priority)

And what are the recommended channel to learn Japanese? Is it worth it to go to centre to learn? (If so, any suggestion) or is it viable to learn by myself?

I have no basics in Japanese but are willing to spend full time up to 3 months to learn the basics.

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0150sec    0.12    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:30 AM