Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Laptop Error after replace new Hard Disk, Professional Advice for Laptop Problem

views

TSjhong1990
post Oct 27 2016, 03:30 PM, updated 8y ago

6 posts

Laptor Error after Replace New Hard Disk

I sent my laptop to a computer shop to replace the faulty hard disk on early of August (the laptop showed "A disk read error occur, press Ctrl+Alt+Dlt to restart"). The laptop's faulty hard disk was replaced with a New Hitachi hard disk. And the laptop was formatted after replaced with new Hitachi Hard Disk.

The laptop was in good condition until early of October, the laptop started to show Blue Screen ("your pc run into a problem and needs to restart. We just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. ") everytime when I open google chrome browser.

And the laptop showed once Black Screen ("Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_"), this black screen issue only happened for the very first time. After I did some research with this black screen issue. I found that this black screen issue is happened because my laptop not able to recognize the laptop's hard disk.

I have sent my laptop to the same computer shop again for further inspection. They have informed me that the replaced Hitachi is in good condition, the Blue Screen & Black Screen issue might be due to the motherboard problem. After 1week+ of inspection, they infomed me that the cause is the Chipset & IC Overheat. The computer shop posed a charge of RM350.00 to fix these Issues.

However, I'm unsure with these issue so I'm seeking professional advice from you guys. Is the Blue Screen & Black Screen are related with each other? Could these happened due to the newly replaced Hard Disk has comptibility problem? Is Chipset & IC overheat is the possible cause? is RM350.00 is a reasonable fair price?

I really appreciated if someone could share some professional advice or similar experience on this with me. Thank you so much in advance. Have a nice day guys!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Best Regards,
Adrian

This post has been edited by jhong1990: Oct 28 2016, 09:11 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
dewill
post Oct 27 2016, 03:38 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

how u install in the 1st place? the device is not bootable is the hitachi hdd still under warranty?
TSjhong1990
post Oct 27 2016, 03:42 PM

6 posts

The Newly Replaced Hitachi Hard Disk

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSjhong1990
post Oct 27 2016, 03:44 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(dewill @ Oct 27 2016, 03:38 PM)
how u install in the 1st place? the device is not bootable is the hitachi hdd still under warranty?
The technician from the computer shop install the new hard disk for me. The newly Replace Hitachi Hard Disk is still under warranty (manufacturing date is May 2016).
dcheah
post Oct 28 2016, 01:31 AM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

HGST (aka Hitachi) does have this kind of issues, try visit the manufacturer website & update its firmware to the latest version.

I'm not sure whether its available for download or not but HP does provide such firmware update.

BSOD or Black screen errors does occur when a HDD fails, it might also be your mainboard is giving the problems (but very seldom).

Should its mainboard problems, then replacing the mainboard is the only choice. It seems the shop is offering a relatively cheap price in replacing the mainboard or they are actually doing something else ?

My understanding is that Intel Chipset are not publicly sold, they are only made available to mainboard manufacturer & mostly in large quantities.

Please get a proper understanding from the shop, actually what they are repairing or are they replacing the mainboard for you.
TSjhong1990
post Oct 28 2016, 09:52 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(dcheah @ Oct 28 2016, 01:31 AM)
HGST (aka Hitachi) does have this kind of issues, try visit the manufacturer website & update its firmware to the latest version.

I'm not sure whether its available for download or not but HP does provide such firmware update.

BSOD or Black screen errors does occur when a HDD fails, it might also be your mainboard is giving the problems (but very seldom).

Should its mainboard problems, then replacing the mainboard is the only choice. It seems the shop is offering a relatively cheap price in replacing the mainboard or they are actually doing something else ?

My understanding is that Intel Chipset are not publicly sold, they are only made available to mainboard manufacturer & mostly in large quantities.

Please get a proper understanding from the shop, actually what they are repairing or are they replacing the mainboard for you.
Thank you so much for your helpful information and advice bro. My laptop was formatted at the computer shop after the replacement with new Hitachi Hard Disk. Could it be firmware problem? (I'm assuming that the firmware of my formatted laptop might not be the latest one and may be there is some bugs with the newly installed firmware of my laptop)

According to the computer shop, they will replace the chipset of controller part of my laptop. I'm not really good in Computer technical issue and sorry for questioning a lot. Thanks for helping thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
dcheah
post Oct 28 2016, 07:55 PM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

QUOTE(jhong1990 @ Oct 28 2016, 09:52 AM)
Thank you so much for your helpful information and advice bro. My laptop was formatted at the computer shop after the replacement with new Hitachi Hard Disk. Could it be firmware problem? (I'm assuming that the firmware of my formatted laptop might not be the latest one and may be there is some bugs with the newly installed firmware of my laptop)

According to the computer shop, they will replace the chipset of controller part of my laptop. I'm not really good in Computer technical issue and sorry for questioning a lot. Thanks for helping  thumbsup.gif  thumbsup.gif
I think you don't jump the gun yet, do check whether your laptop is still under warranty or not. If yes, it is best to send back to manufacturer for board replacement.

If warranty over then maybe you can try their "chipset replace" method but do keep in mind that after replacing the parts is there any warranty provided for that particular parts ? (usually around 3-6 months, the longer the better).

TSjhong1990
post Oct 29 2016, 12:25 AM

6 posts

QUOTE(dcheah @ Oct 28 2016, 07:55 PM)
I think you don't jump the gun yet, do check whether your laptop is still under warranty or not. If yes, it is best to send back to manufacturer for board replacement.

If warranty over then maybe you can try their "chipset replace" method but do keep in mind that after replacing the parts is there any warranty provided for that particular parts ? (usually around 3-6 months, the longer the better).
Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I think it's the best option for me to send my currently laptop to Asus Service Center at Digital Mall for futher inspection as my laptop warranty has expired. Hopefully Asus Service Center can provide me some fruitful solutions. Thanks you so much bro.
butthead
post Oct 29 2016, 07:22 AM

On my way
593 posts

QUOTE(jhong1990 @ Oct 29 2016, 12:25 AM)
Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I think it's the best option for me to send my currently laptop to Asus Service Center at Digital Mall for futher inspection as my laptop warranty has expired. Hopefully Asus Service Center can provide me some fruitful solutions. Thanks you so much bro.
From your screenies, i assume you can no longer boot consistently?

How long have you had it? If there is no warranty or the warranty is void for any reasons. You can always double check before sending it to somewhere that costs money.

You can run your own drive diagnostics from HGST again to confirm if it really is a drive issue
https://www.hgst.com/support/hard-drive-support/downloads

Run Memtest 86 to rule out memory problems
http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Which leaves you with the motherboard which is costly to fix.

Last but not least, you can try to create a bootable hiren and see if that boots. Your 2nd / middle screen shot could either be indicating a dead drive or a corrupted boot for all we know. Hiren does have some tools that can run some disk checks and hopefully fix the problem.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.50    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:59 PM