Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Brown Spots on False/Drop Ceiling, What could it be?

views

TSdeodorant
post Oct 17 2016, 10:20 PM, updated 8y ago

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

Hi all sifu's,

I just bought a second hand, "new" condo. As in, the previous owner take keys around 1.5 years ago but never moved in. So the unit been unoccupied for 1.5 years.

Mostly it's OK except that the entire false ceiling (yard, kitchen, walkway to bedrooms, 1 toilet) has these brown spots on it ...

user posted image

... any idea what it could be and/or best way to fix? My ID and ceiling contractor (obviously) just anyhow declare it is mold and better to tear down and replace the whole drop ceiling doh.gif ...
TSdeodorant
post Oct 18 2016, 12:38 AM

5,691 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 17 2016, 10:45 PM)
Spray bleach, give it a good wipe then put fresh coat of paint.

QUOTE(cedyy @ Oct 17 2016, 10:55 PM)
you should change ur ID contractor ... only thing of milking you instead of giving u suggestion how to solve

Hard to change when already paid half lo sad.gif

Anyway thanks, won't change it yet, will just try to bleach and paint and see what happens in the future.

Any ideas what it actually is though?
TSdeodorant
post Oct 21 2016, 12:16 PM

5,691 posts

QUOTE(reader @ Oct 18 2016, 08:54 PM)
They look like in pattern. If that is the case they might by the rust from the screws used during installation to hold the boards in place.

QUOTE(panda-man @ Oct 21 2016, 11:23 AM)
all of them same size? if so then looking at the pattern, i think also possibly due to rust of the nails from the humidity. paint over with sealant should be enough i think.

After discussing with them some more and also with input from the electrician, they seem to think the same as you all ie rust from the nails.

So if it's rusty nails just sealant and paint can d? Or for longer term would it be ok to replace all the nails?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0125sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:51 PM