Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Brown Spots on False/Drop Ceiling, What could it be?

views

TSdeodorant
post Oct 17 2016, 10:20 PM, updated 3y ago

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,654 posts

Hi all sifu's,

I just bought a second hand, "new" condo. As in, the previous owner take keys around 1.5 years ago but never moved in. So the unit been unoccupied for 1.5 years.

Mostly it's OK except that the entire false ceiling (yard, kitchen, walkway to bedrooms, 1 toilet) has these brown spots on it ...

user posted image

... any idea what it could be and/or best way to fix? My ID and ceiling contractor (obviously) just anyhow declare it is mold and better to tear down and replace the whole drop ceiling doh.gif ...
Xccess
post Oct 17 2016, 10:45 PM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,397 posts

Spray bleach, give it a good wipe then put fresh coat of paint.

This post has been edited by Xccess: Oct 17 2016, 10:46 PM
cedyy
post Oct 17 2016, 10:55 PM

Regular
1,186 posts

you should change ur ID contractor ... only thing of milking you instead of giving u suggestion how to solve
TSdeodorant
post Oct 18 2016, 12:38 AM

5,654 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Oct 17 2016, 10:45 PM)
Spray bleach, give it a good wipe then put fresh coat of paint.

QUOTE(cedyy @ Oct 17 2016, 10:55 PM)
you should change ur ID contractor ... only thing of milking you instead of giving u suggestion how to solve

Hard to change when already paid half lo sad.gif

Anyway thanks, won't change it yet, will just try to bleach and paint and see what happens in the future.

Any ideas what it actually is though?
Xccess
post Oct 18 2016, 12:40 AM

Twinkle lil Stars
2,397 posts

Fungus/mold due to humidity.
cedyy
post Oct 18 2016, 12:52 AM

Regular
1,186 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Oct 18 2016, 12:38 AM)
Hard to change when already paid half lo sad.gif

Anyway thanks, won't change it yet, will just try to bleach and paint and see what happens in the future.

Any ideas what it actually is though?
should be mould due to lack of air circulation and high humidity. good quality paint normally can resist such growth. normal emulsion white paint are susceptible. my studio also had this problem. the walls painted with nippon glo with anti bacterial did not have fungus growth but the ceiling and cornice painted with normal white emulsion paint turned brownish or patchy (worst than your photo condition) after 4 years.
sonerin
post Oct 18 2016, 07:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,122 posts

This is sign of water leaking
reader
post Oct 18 2016, 08:54 PM

Getting Started
117 posts

They look like in pattern. If that is the case they might by the rust from the screws used during installation to hold the boards in place.
Jacobs on
post Oct 21 2016, 02:31 AM

Getting Started
161 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Oct 17 2016, 11:20 PM)
Hi all sifu's,

I just bought a second hand, "new" condo. As in, the previous owner take keys around 1.5 years ago but never moved in. So the unit been unoccupied for 1.5 years.

Mostly it's OK except that the entire false ceiling (yard, kitchen, walkway to bedrooms, 1 toilet) has these brown spots on it ...

user posted image

... any idea what it could be and/or best way to fix? My ID and ceiling contractor (obviously) just anyhow declare it is mold and better to tear down and replace the whole drop ceiling doh.gif ...
Is water leakage or aircond leakage spot..
Have to cut it out and replace a new ceiling only can back to normal. but check first, is it water leakage issue....

This post has been edited by Jacobs on: Oct 21 2016, 02:34 AM
panda-man
post Oct 21 2016, 11:23 AM

PSN: hutazi
2,687 posts

all of them same size? if so then looking at the pattern, i think also possibly due to rust of the nails from the humidity. paint over with sealant should be enough i think.
MeToo
post Oct 21 2016, 11:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,188 posts

Bro. SOme picture would help ALOT for us to decide what it looks like...

If its not rotted due to water leak... then your ID/contractor is full of shit. If he can kantoi u such things you better get the rest of his quotation looked at

This post has been edited by MeToo: Oct 21 2016, 11:29 AM
TSdeodorant
post Oct 21 2016, 12:16 PM

5,654 posts

QUOTE(reader @ Oct 18 2016, 08:54 PM)
They look like in pattern. If that is the case they might by the rust from the screws used during installation to hold the boards in place.

QUOTE(panda-man @ Oct 21 2016, 11:23 AM)
all of them same size? if so then looking at the pattern, i think also possibly due to rust of the nails from the humidity. paint over with sealant should be enough i think.

After discussing with them some more and also with input from the electrician, they seem to think the same as you all ie rust from the nails.

So if it's rusty nails just sealant and paint can d? Or for longer term would it be ok to replace all the nails?

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0347sec    0.88    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 01:59 AM