Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Apple tv 4th gen, hows the experience?

views

TSirenetansayshi
post Oct 17 2016, 02:42 PM, updated 8y ago

Getting Started
75 posts

Hi k,

I am thinking to purchase an apple tv so i could airplay my ipong to the tv to have superb movie experience. My question to k. Anyone using apple tv now? how is the experience so far? is it hard to connect to regular tv since it uses htmi 1.4? can I play music on my tv using airplay?

Last question is the most critical one, should i wait for next gen apple tv or buy now? since i think the tv came out quite a while ago rclxms.gif
Cheeky
post Oct 17 2016, 02:53 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

i have been using ATV4 since it came out. It offers a finer experience compared to the Android boxes but android boxes are much more customizable. For example, you can install Kodi on Android boxes but not on ATV4.

I regularly use ATV4 instead of my Amazon Stick. You can stream music/movies from your IOS device to ATV4 and so long as your TV has HDMI, it should be plug and play.

You probably don't need to airplay from ios to Atv4 since there is probably an equivalent app on the store. There is no spotify app, although I can find Pandora app on US Itunes Stores.

You can also store movies locally onto the ATV4 memory and if you intend to do that, then I suggest you buy the model with the larger memory. Otherwise the one with the smaller memory is more than enough. I am using only 10% of the available memory.

There are apps like Infuse and VLC which allows you to stream your movies from a NAS.

I highly doubt if there will be a new ATV4 within the next year.

This post has been edited by Cheeky: Oct 17 2016, 02:54 PM
TSirenetansayshi
post Oct 17 2016, 03:27 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(Cheeky @ Oct 17 2016, 02:53 PM)
i have been using ATV4 since it came out. It offers a finer experience compared to the Android boxes but android boxes are much more customizable. For example, you can install Kodi on Android boxes but not on ATV4.

I regularly use ATV4 instead of my Amazon Stick. You can stream music/movies from your IOS device to ATV4 and so long as your TV has HDMI, it should be plug and play.

You probably don't need to airplay from ios to Atv4 since there is probably an equivalent app on the store. There is no spotify app,  although I can find Pandora app on US Itunes Stores.

You can also store movies locally onto the ATV4 memory and if you intend to do that, then I suggest you buy the model with the larger memory. Otherwise the one with the smaller memory is more than enough. I am using  only 10% of the available memory.

There are apps like Infuse and VLC which allows you to stream your movies from a NAS.

I highly doubt if there will be a new ATV4 within the next year.
hey thanks for your useful input here. I understand that ATV4 is useful for those who have invested heavily into the apple ecosystem. However for me, I do not invest much of my money into the contents (movies, music from itune). All I have is ipad, ipod and iphone with me, and im using only the basic usage that doesnt require money. For example, I will usually download musics on external source and throw it into my itune library. so i wonder, without the 'contents' itself, will my experience be the same as what you have been gone through. From what i understand, apple tv does not have spotify in tv os store. So if lets say i wanna play music, is it plug and play via htmi will be sufficient? Will all these limitations making my apple tv experience not as enjoyable?

Also, are most of the app on apple tv require money? it is because i dont wanna spend too much into this.
andcorps
post Oct 17 2016, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

QUOTE(irenetansayshi @ Oct 17 2016, 03:27 PM)
hey thanks for your useful input here. I understand that ATV4 is useful for those who have invested heavily into the apple ecosystem. However for me, I do not invest much of my money into the contents (movies, music from itune). All I have is ipad, ipod and iphone with me, and im using only the basic usage that doesnt require money. For example, I will usually download musics on external source and throw it into my itune library. so i wonder, without the 'contents' itself, will my experience be the same as what you have been gone through. From what i understand, apple tv does not have spotify in tv os store. So if lets say i wanna play music, is it plug and play via htmi will be sufficient? Will all these limitations making my apple tv experience not as enjoyable?

Also, are most of the app on apple tv require money? it is because i dont wanna spend too much into this.
Almost everything can be shared from your iPhone to the ATV.
TSirenetansayshi
post Oct 17 2016, 04:50 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(andcorps @ Oct 17 2016, 04:33 PM)
Almost everything can be shared from your iPhone to the ATV.
how about scrolling websites and shared it to view on ATV?
andcorps
post Oct 17 2016, 05:02 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

QUOTE(irenetansayshi @ Oct 17 2016, 04:50 PM)
supposed your can actually AirPlay them to the TV.
aeiou228
post Oct 17 2016, 05:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,829 posts

QUOTE(irenetansayshi @ Oct 17 2016, 04:50 PM)
Everything on your iOS can be mirrored to your TV screen via ATV4 AirPlay.

Cheeky
post Oct 18 2016, 12:44 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

If you just wish to mirror your iOS device to ATV, I suggest that you buy ATV3. Its a lot cheaper. You can probably get a second hand one on Ebay. There is no app store for ATV3 so whatever apps you see on the screen is what you get.

If you are familiar with Apps on iOS, then ATV4 apps are no different. Some you need to pay and some you don't (like Youtube).

You can airplay your music on iOS to ATV or you can even use your ATV to fetch music stored on itunes (using home sharing).

If you use airplay, you can even turn off the screen on your iOS device and the video continues to play on your TV.
TSirenetansayshi
post Oct 18 2016, 03:03 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(Cheeky @ Oct 18 2016, 12:44 PM)
If you just wish to mirror your iOS device to ATV, I suggest that you buy ATV3. Its a lot cheaper. You can probably get a second hand one on Ebay. There is no app store for ATV3 so whatever apps you see on the screen is what you get.

If you are familiar with Apps on iOS, then ATV4 apps are no different. Some you need to pay and some you don't (like Youtube).

You can airplay your music on iOS to ATV or you can even use your ATV to fetch music stored on  itunes (using home sharing).

If you use airplay, you can even turn off the screen on your iOS device and the video continues to play on your TV.
thanks cheeky for your input, appreciate that, yes i would need that extra 32gb mostly to store my photos and videos haha, perhaps some apps for some entertainment killer.

Btw I have a question here, saw that apple tv only uses HTMI 1.4, will that be compatible to most TVs? I seen most TVs are using HTMI 2.0. Any idea? sorry for my noobness first time thinking of getting it haha
Cheeky
post Oct 18 2016, 03:41 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

QUOTE(irenetansayshi @ Oct 18 2016, 03:03 PM)
thanks cheeky for your input, appreciate that, yes i would need that extra 32gb mostly to store my photos and videos haha, perhaps some apps for some entertainment killer.

Btw I have a question here, saw that apple tv only uses HTMI 1.4, will that be compatible to most TVs? I seen most TVs are using HTMI 2.0. Any idea? sorry for my noobness first time thinking of getting it haha
its plug and play interchangeable
TSirenetansayshi
post Oct 19 2016, 11:13 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(Cheeky @ Oct 18 2016, 03:41 PM)
its plug and play interchangeable
Htmi cable nid to be separately bought?
Cheeky
post Oct 20 2016, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
168 posts

QUOTE(irenetansayshi @ Oct 19 2016, 11:13 PM)
Htmi cable nid to be separately bought?
Yes. They are not expensive. You don't have to buy from apple.any hdmi cable will do

TSirenetansayshi
post Oct 22 2016, 01:30 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(Cheeky @ Oct 20 2016, 03:44 PM)
Yes. They are not expensive. You don't have to buy from apple.any hdmi cable will do
the apple hdmi to hdmi seems to sell at rather pricey about RM89. Any idea where can i get it cheaper?

http://www.gemfive.com/my/apple-hdmi-to-hd...-1-8m-mc838zm-b
Cheeky
post Oct 24 2016, 08:31 AM

Getting Started
168 posts

You can try any computer shop or electrical shop or you can buy online on http://www.lelong.com.my/hdmi-to-hdmi-cabl...7-01-Sale-I.htm

by the way, apple is having an announcement on 27th October. Some claims that they may bring an update to the ATV4. Maybe you should wait until Friday to see if there is really an upgrade.

TSirenetansayshi
post Oct 24 2016, 09:04 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(Cheeky @ Oct 24 2016, 08:31 AM)
You can try any computer shop or electrical shop or you can buy online on http://www.lelong.com.my/hdmi-to-hdmi-cabl...7-01-Sale-I.htm

by the way, apple is having an announcement on 27th October. Some claims that they may bring an update to the ATV4. Maybe you should wait until Friday to see if there is really an upgrade.
thanks mate, will wait and see what is the next offering smile.gif
firdausbhari
post Oct 28 2016, 05:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,194 posts

for me, i only use ATV for airplay.

other than that, android box all the way.......
TSirenetansayshi
post Oct 29 2016, 10:20 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

looks like they have got new features in the latest apple event huh. anyway guys could i ask how to transfer songs from iphone to ATV without using a laptop or usb?
idoblu
post Nov 1 2016, 08:17 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

can someone tell me whats good about Apple TV? Why I should get one....I itchy to buy one but I sked become white elephant like my Roku biggrin.gif
thanks

This post has been edited by idoblu: Nov 1 2016, 08:18 PM
TSirenetansayshi
post Nov 1 2016, 08:50 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Nov 1 2016, 08:17 PM)
can someone tell me whats good about Apple TV? Why I should get one....I itchy to buy one but I sked become white elephant like my Roku  biggrin.gif
thanks
hows ur roku end up now? hahahaa
idoblu
post Nov 1 2016, 08:54 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(irenetansayshi @ Nov 1 2016, 08:50 PM)
hows ur roku end up now? hahahaa
Not been used biggrin.gif
Not that it's not good. Somehow I didn't use it much
Can I plug in potable hdd in Apple TV to play my movie files?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:40 PM