Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Astrology Debunked, Why do people still believe in zodiacs?

views

budakgua
post Nov 21 2016, 05:03 PM

0 posts

no. i believe at money.
TSHoka Nobasho
post Nov 21 2016, 05:06 PM

Enthusiast
781 posts

QUOTE(skydreamcatcher @ Nov 21 2016, 05:02 PM)
For people who don't want to watch the entire video, there's a summary below taken from YouTube
I don't care if you believe in this stuff or not. His "experiment" is flawed. 1. He's using newspaper clipping astrology, which yes, makes sense if you're testing 'newspaper astrology', but pre 1700 astrology was a different bread. 2. He's using "ya i guess that fits" as a "yes", 3. If he tells people he's making a documentary trying to debunk astrology (maybe he did, maybe he didn't) then people who want to defend it, will say yes no matter what. This debunking of Astrology has been debunked...and was horribly thought out in the first place. This dude is a horrible scientist.
Interesting. May I ask how different it is between "newspaper astrology" and "1700 astrology"?

In addition, may I kindly ask what is the evidence that astrology is actually consistent with reality?
beeMay
post Nov 21 2016, 05:10 PM

Dr
647 posts

QUOTE(Hoka Nobasho @ Nov 21 2016, 04:56 PM)
Are you claiming that Richard Dawkins was wrong about astrology? If so, which research that has proven that astrology, is in fact, a reality?

And I've already mentioned in my previous post that it is not about satisfaction.
Im not saying he is right/wrong, Im saying he could be right or wrong, just like everything else, why u gotta be so proud to have a different belief and shove it into ppl's face? That makes u super annoying, man...
Yes u did! U said its about satisfaction. U said it in your reply to my comment.

U think I believe in astrology? I dont, but I dont go around and show people "how smart I am in believing astrology and watch a random youtube video by a renowned white man". Do you even know that some nobel peace prize achievers are the man behind mass murder?

Humans will never be 100% right about anything. Therefore, dont be so annoying to show people how u know stuff bt u actually just scratched the surface (by watching a youtube video,duh!)
Einjahr
post Nov 21 2016, 05:11 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(fkmfkm @ Nov 21 2016, 02:59 PM)
Why do people take Religion seriously ?
astrology got religion ? first time dengar.

wwf fans also know wrestling is fake but they stil watch it, so? itu pun nak debunk ke?
Zot
post Nov 21 2016, 05:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

Everything is real as long as you believe in it
Einjahr
post Nov 21 2016, 05:16 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(fkmfkm @ Nov 21 2016, 02:59 PM)
Why do people take Religion seriously ?
too much of enything isnt gewd for you.
that includes religion
AyamBlend
post Nov 21 2016, 05:17 PM

22 posts

Same thing as work hard gain more.
Why do people still believe it
Einjahr
post Nov 21 2016, 05:20 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

ts next thread

Music debunked, why people still believe in music ?
Art debunked, why people still believe in Art?
TSHoka Nobasho
post Nov 21 2016, 05:21 PM

Enthusiast
781 posts

QUOTE(beeMay @ Nov 21 2016, 05:10 PM)
Im not saying he is right/wrong, Im saying he could be right or wrong, just like everything else, why u gotta be so proud to have a different belief and shove it into ppl's face? That makes u super annoying, man...
Yes u did! U said its about satisfaction. U said it in your reply to my comment.

U think I believe in astrology? I dont, but I dont go around and show people "how smart I am in believing astrology and watch a random youtube video by a renowned white man". Do you even know that some nobel peace prize achievers are the man behind mass murder?

Humans will never be 100% right about anything. Therefore, dont be so annoying to show people how u know stuff bt u actually just scratched the surface (by watching a youtube video,duh!)
No, check my previous post again, I did not say it's about satisfaction. If I did, you can paste my quote directly as proof.

We might not be 100% right, but it is already an established consensus that astrology lacks the evidence to be a reliable tool in terms of its effectiveness to "guide people's lives".

QUOTE(skydreamcatcher @ Nov 21 2016, 05:11 PM)
Let's talk about the shitty video you posted as weak evidence

You want to talk about science? The video you posted claims to provide evidence but only uses newspaper clippings of astrology !

So why does he claim to debunk astrology when he only uses newspaper astrology?
Like I have asked previously, what exactly is different about "newspaper clipping astrology" as opposed to "other types of astrology" that actually proves the existence of astrology, and thus, renders the debunking completely invalid?
TSHoka Nobasho
post Nov 21 2016, 05:30 PM

Enthusiast
781 posts

QUOTE(skydreamcatcher @ Nov 21 2016, 05:28 PM)
Do you actually know what astrology is about? Like what others have said to you, you just scratched the surface of something you dont even know about from a Youtube video of a scientist who did weak research at best. And you claim its debunked.

Those Newspaper clippings he used as his subject, newspaper astrology is known to provide fun and entertainment

are they all even written by genuine astrologers?

Did he verify if they were genuine?

Newspaper astrology only uses sun signs, and astrology is a lot bigger than that, it covers the house, planets and asteroids.

So why does he claim he debunked astrology instead of newspaper astrology?
Dawkins need not perform a more rigorous experiment on astrology because, in addition to the Youtube video, astrology has already been largely debunked by science as pseudoscience.

Sven Ove Hansson; Edward N. Zalta. "Science and Pseudo-Science". Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved 6 July 2012.

"Astronomical Pseudo-Science: A Skeptic's Resource List". Astronomical Society of the Pacific.

Hartmann, P.; Reuter, M.; Nyborga, H. (May 2006). "The relationship between date of birth and individual differences in personality and general intelligence: A large-scale study". Personality and Individual Differences. 40 (7): 1349–1362. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2005.11.017. To optimise the chances of finding even remote relationships between date of birth and individual differences in personality and intelligence we further applied two different strategies. The first one was based on the common chronological concept of time (e.g. month of birth and season of birth). The second strategy was based on the (pseudo-scientific) concept of astrology (e.g. Sun Signs, The Elements, and astrological gender), as discussed in the book Astrology: Science or superstition? by Eysenck and Nias (1982).

Do you seriously think astrology is, in fact, realistic? If so, what is your proof?

It's is not "scratching the surface" when there are scientific testing of astrology has been conducted, and with no evidence has been found to support any of the premises or purported effects outlined in astrological traditions.

This post has been edited by Hoka Nobasho: Nov 21 2016, 05:37 PM
TSHoka Nobasho
post Nov 21 2016, 05:38 PM

Enthusiast
781 posts

QUOTE(skydreamcatcher @ Nov 21 2016, 05:35 PM)
Gotcha

I havent seen you come up with anything of substance but instead you keep trying to pull away the conversation towards something else once people start to question you

And you yourself dont know anything about astrology

Laughable is what I summarize of this this thread and your weak video you try to pass off as proof
Read my post again. I have actually provided the sources of how astrology has been largely debunked as pseudoscience.

Here's my reply to your post:

QUOTE(skydreamcatcher @ Nov 21 2016, 05:28 PM)
Do you actually know what astrology is about? Like what others have said to you, you just scratched the surface of something you dont even know about from a Youtube video of a scientist who did weak research at best. And you claim its debunked.

Those Newspaper clippings he used as his subject, newspaper astrology is known to provide fun and entertainment

are they all even written by genuine astrologers?

Did he verify if they were genuine?

Newspaper astrology only uses sun signs, and astrology is a lot bigger than that, it covers the house, planets and asteroids.

So why does he claim he debunked astrology instead of newspaper astrology?
Dawkins need not perform a more rigorous experiment on astrology because, in addition to the Youtube video, astrology has already been largely debunked by science as pseudoscience.

Sven Ove Hansson; Edward N. Zalta. "Science and Pseudo-Science". Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved 6 July 2012.

"Astronomical Pseudo-Science: A Skeptic's Resource List". Astronomical Society of the Pacific.

Hartmann, P.; Reuter, M.; Nyborga, H. (May 2006). "The relationship between date of birth and individual differences in personality and general intelligence: A large-scale study". Personality and Individual Differences. 40 (7): 1349–1362. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2005.11.017. To optimise the chances of finding even remote relationships between date of birth and individual differences in personality and intelligence we further applied two different strategies. The first one was based on the common chronological concept of time (e.g. month of birth and season of birth). The second strategy was based on the (pseudo-scientific) concept of astrology (e.g. Sun Signs, The Elements, and astrological gender), as discussed in the book Astrology: Science or superstition? by Eysenck and Nias (1982).

Do you seriously think astrology is, in fact, realistic? If so, what is your proof?

It's is not "scratching the surface" when there are scientific testing of astrology has been conducted, and with no evidence has been found to support any of the premises or purported effects outlined in astrological traditions.

This post has been edited by Hoka Nobasho: Nov 21 2016, 05:40 PM
everest
post Nov 21 2016, 11:35 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

Astrology and horoscope are different
takadanicklagi
post Nov 21 2016, 11:37 PM

Getting Started
124 posts

Some say religion also
TSHoka Nobasho