Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Laptop can't achieve full internet speed, Unifi 30mbps

views

TSCuteSniper22
post Oct 15 2016, 10:47 AM, updated 8y ago

Casual
315 posts

Hi guys, my laptop cannot fully utilize broadband speed after connected to router. But weird is that max speed is achievable after connected through repeater. I didn't enable features like QOS or bandwidth limiter. Why this happened?
Laptop --> router (max speed to 15mbps)
Laptop --> repeater --> router (max speed 30mbps)

Info:
Laptop NIC adapter: Atheros AR8152
Router: netgear r6300v2 (tomatousb shibby)

Attached with router wireless settings

This post has been edited by CuteSniper22: Oct 15 2016, 10:55 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
abubin
post Oct 17 2016, 02:46 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

it should be the other way round. Are you sure its

and not

Laptop --> router (max speed to 30mbps)
Laptop --> repeater --> router (max speed 15mbps)

Cause using repeater is known to cause half the speed of max.

pandera999
post Oct 19 2016, 05:14 PM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ Oct 15 2016, 10:47 AM)
Hi guys, my laptop cannot fully utilize broadband speed after connected to router. But weird is that max speed is achievable after connected through repeater. I didn't enable features like QOS or bandwidth limiter. Why this happened?

Info:

as abubin said.. repeater could reduce the internet speed... how much download speed you get if u using wire? hmm.gif
TSCuteSniper22
post Oct 20 2016, 06:10 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Oct 17 2016, 02:46 PM)
it should be the other way round. Are you sure its

and not

Laptop --> router (max speed to 30mbps)
Laptop --> repeater --> router (max speed 15mbps)

Cause using repeater is known to cause half the speed of max.
Updated: Sorry for late reply, I just done several tests, all my old device like galaxy note 2, laptop with 1st gen i core cpu & boardcom wireless adapter (support up to 802.11n)will never exceed 10-12mbps even though my wifi signal bar is in full.

Besides, I tried to use LANBench (LAN speedtest utility) to test out private lan I/O. The result still remained same no matter is in private LAN or public internet..

QUOTE(pandera999 @ Oct 19 2016, 05:14 PM)
as abubin said.. repeater could reduce the internet speed... how much download speed you get if u using wire?  hmm.gif
No issue on those new device with that support 802.11n/ac and wired connection as well. Full speed achieved. I wonder is my wifi setup is not configured properly? tat why i posted out my router setting here~

Maybe later i will screenshot the result and post here later...

This post has been edited by CuteSniper22: Oct 20 2016, 07:37 PM
pandera999
post Oct 20 2016, 10:44 PM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ Oct 20 2016, 06:10 PM)
Updated: Sorry for late reply, I just done several tests, all my old device like galaxy note 2, laptop with 1st gen i core cpu & boardcom wireless adapter (support up to  802.11n)will never exceed 10-12mbps even though my wifi signal bar is in full. 

Besides, I tried to use LANBench (LAN speedtest utility) to test out private lan I/O. The result still remained same no matter is in private LAN or public internet..
No issue on those new device with that support  802.11n/ac and wired connection as well. Full speed achieved. I wonder is my wifi setup is not configured properly? tat why i posted out my router setting here~

Maybe later i will screenshot the result and post here later...
thats good.. you are using fibre?
TSCuteSniper22
post Oct 20 2016, 11:27 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(pandera999 @ Oct 20 2016, 10:44 PM)
thats good.. you are using fibre?
Yup... unifi 30mbps

Attached with speedtest result.
Weird. Different devices different speed..
Upload speed almost the same & reached to full speed 10mbps. But both download speed at least 50% difference

Galaxy note 2 & Galaxy Alpha

This post has been edited by CuteSniper22: Oct 21 2016, 09:54 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
pandera999
post Oct 21 2016, 10:11 AM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ Oct 20 2016, 11:27 PM)
Yup... unifi 30mbps

Attached with speedtest result.
Weird. Different devices different speed..
Upload speed almost the same & reached to full speed 10mbps. But both download speed at least 50% difference

Galaxy note 2 & Galaxy Alpha
3mbps only.. weird. is seems like the device problem.. do you have other device to test? maybe friends or cousins... compare how much they get. for 30mbps.. below 20mb download.. is kinda abnormal. im using same package with you and i have this speed.

even i hate tm because cheating me.

user posted image
SUSlife5tyle
post Oct 21 2016, 01:01 PM

Getting Started
277 posts

Look weird to me too. If best you can get the same model and test to see if it is your device problem or not. Another methods is try reboot your device or reset the settings to see if it help or not.

Normally, try to test a few times. Sometime the first test result might not be accurate. For 30mbps package, you should get speed around 28mbps - 26mbps.

If you go thru WiFi connection, the signal strength and speed will be dropping due to surrounding area too. Sometime, it could also due to the location of the built-in WiFi antenna of your device. Suggest you test it beside your router.

For optimum speed result, alway test with network cable connection (laptop & desktop).
TSCuteSniper22
post Oct 21 2016, 02:56 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(pandera999 @ Oct 21 2016, 10:11 AM)
3mbps only.. weird. is seems like the device problem.. do you have other device to test? maybe friends or cousins... compare how much they get. for 30mbps.. below 20mb download.. is kinda abnormal. im using same package with you and i have this speed.

even i hate tm because cheating me.

user posted image
Sorry...buddy, that most bottom speed test is my post signature... not the actual result.. only device image is the actual result
TSCuteSniper22
post Oct 21 2016, 03:02 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(life5tyle @ Oct 21 2016, 01:01 PM)
Look weird to me too. If best you can get the same model and test to see if it is your device problem or not. Another methods is try reboot your device or reset the settings to see if it help or not.

Normally, try to test a few times. Sometime the first test result might not be accurate. For 30mbps package, you should get speed around 28mbps - 26mbps.

If you go thru WiFi connection, the signal strength and speed will be dropping due to surrounding area too. Sometime, it could also due to the location of the built-in WiFi antenna of your device. Suggest you test it beside your router.

For optimum speed result, alway test with network cable connection (laptop & desktop).
Thanks, i will try to reset my device if really no alternatives.

Yup, as u can see from mage above, both devices' wifi signal bar is in full.
I only have issue with my galaxy note 2 and laptop which only achieve max speed around 15mbps. The rest of devices are fine..
Later I will show 3 devices result together at once under one shot.

This post has been edited by CuteSniper22: Oct 21 2016, 03:03 PM
pandera999
post Oct 21 2016, 05:27 PM

모든 것​에는 정해진 때​가 있으니
6,195 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ Oct 21 2016, 02:56 PM)
Sorry...buddy, that most bottom speed test is my post signature... not the actual result.. only device image is the actual result
i know.. if u use cable how much the speed if using laptop. izit due to router problem hmm.gif
SabrinaKncz
post Oct 21 2016, 08:33 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ Oct 15 2016, 01:47 PM)

Info:

I've got the same problem:(
SUSlife5tyle
post Oct 21 2016, 09:54 PM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ Oct 21 2016, 03:02 PM)
Thanks, i will try to reset my device if really no alternatives.

Yup, as u can see from mage above, both devices' wifi signal bar is in full.
I only have issue with my galaxy note 2 and laptop which only achieve max speed around 15mbps. The rest of devices are fine..
Later I will show 3 devices result together at once under one shot.
Try turn off all other devices and test one by one. Check your router and make sure it is only one device connect to it. Full WiFi signal bar doesn't mean you get the maximum speed available. This is one of the reason, gamers dislike using WiFi to play online games.

If you have all the devices turn on and connected to your wireless router, each of the device definitely get different speed. Each devices their antenna is design differently, some short, some long, some star shape, some octagon shape, etc. All this could affecting the speed.

The different model of the built-in wifi on your devices also give you different speed test result.

You can try to go to any hotspot to test. If it is the same, it could due to the device limitation or firmware.

Best way to test is using two same model device, same firmware to test. Then you should get very close result but remember you won't get the same result.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.38    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:50 PM