Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Should I go for coating or wax?, get some suggestions and differences

views

alvinrenren
post Oct 9 2018, 03:15 PM

21 posts

For headlight film, use the corrent ppf films and proper workmanship and you won’t have this issue of glue sticking. DIY at home with half of the tools and skills, definitely will have glue stick on it. In fact nowadays it is recommended to use headlight film due to the cost of your headlight. Imagine your LED headlight, with DRL and sensors to detect and adjust light beam when you turn and prevent glare to oncoming cars etc. Those come in a set and you generally can’t just change the light bulb or just the glass. FYI, Honda Civic FC LED headlight cost rm7k per pair, the led is imbedded into the headlight and you cannot just change one led.
vyruzj
post Oct 9 2018, 08:53 PM

Getting Started
216 posts

To be fair to DIY'ers and grooming shops... I think many of us forgot to talk about the require task prior to coating. For a proper coating and waxing you will need to thoroughly wash the car, clay the car, paint compound (if the paint is really bad), polish, IPA wipe down to remove polishing oils and residue and then only apply coating or waxing. All these task is very laborious and take quiet a long time to complete hence it command higher price as well.

Coating and Waxing can DIY if you are up to it, if you are wiling to to spend time pampering your ride and money to purchase the required products. More info on products and technics can be found in the detailing section Car Care & Detailing

If we visit grooming centers we are essentially paying for the car shampoo, clay bar, compounding product, polishes, buffing machines such as rotary or DA polisher, polishing pads, IPA solution, coating or waxing product, water, electricity, space rental, workmanship, warranty and profits... I am not saying the prices quoted for coating or waxing by grooming center is justifiable (some are sky high and some are cheap until you feel sceptical about the whole thing) just want bring this up so that we are aware of the overall process and for forummers going for a coat or wax make sure they are doing all these and not to be short-changed...

This post has been edited by vyruzj: Oct 9 2018, 09:12 PM
FirstOne
post Oct 9 2018, 09:16 PM

Getting Started
167 posts

QUOTE(alvinrenren @ Oct 9 2018, 03:06 PM)
If you send your car out for car wash, I would say, to save to coating, as the car wash would inadvertently scratch and remove your coatings off. It could be the constantly used and rarely washed clothes used to go through your car, or even the chemical mixture they used to quickly remove dirt from your car.

Coatings are more for people whom have the time and place for their vehicle, proper are away from sun and rain, personal time to wash own car to ensure clothes and chemical used are not detrimental to the coating and car paint.

One of the main reason for coating is to protect the paint, full stop. It acts as a sacrificial layer above the oem clearcoat. Stone chips, it chips away the coating, bigger stone would definitely dent the car and that is another issue altogether (it does not make it bullet proof 😂). Yes, good coatings could be strong with 9H ratings but end of the day, it still is a sacrificial layer from sun and rain. That is the reason for the maintenance, to add back the layers.

Then you would ask, y do coatings.... I could just repaint same price or cheaper, end of story. Depends, if you are not fussy on your paint, you would go to any under tree shop and they spray one layer of paint on your silver colour d segment sedan, after let it dry under the sun for 3 hours, then it is definitely cheaper. But the proper way of respraying a car is to first remove the original paint by compounding, takes few days, need to remove pieces to individually remove as well( front and rear bumpers, fenders). The painting also need to cover nooks and cranny of your car, not just outside ( engine bay certain parts, tight spaces between door. Then you actually need to do the base layer (car in white), followed by few layers of your correct car colour based on oem recommendation. In between each layer, car need to be dried, if drying outside dust might settle on the car and your paint will be marred with small dots. Then final layer is a clear coat. If the drying is not enough, you will encounter dripping effect on your paint. All in all, takes few days or weeks, if the shop have more people doing just your car, you need to take on the cost of their workmanship. You get what you pay.

So in that perspective, coating is much cheaper. Oh yaaa, we have not talk about the paint needed. Some cars have super expensive paint. No I’m not talking about the silver paint of an mpv, imagine Benz diamond silver metallic, bmw Brazil brown metallic nd not to mention other brands like Ferrari or Porsche.

I once did a front bumper for a bmw 3 series, just respray according to oem standard at approved paint work shop, rm1,700 for grey metallic. Even kelisa special edition orange oem paint to do proper for front, fender, and hood is rm700.

Just a comparison.
To add on, you can't respray back the original paint from Car manufacturers from outside no matter how much you pay for. One is hand spray paint one is machine. Any skillful second hand car trader wikk easily notice touch up paint vs non
audio technica
post Jan 10 2019, 01:04 AM

Getting Started
173 posts

ckd cars....repaint outside shop turns out the paintjob is better compared to the oem
Twins10
post Mar 4 2019, 09:02 AM

Enthusiast
913 posts

Soft 99 fusso wax is rm39.88 9n Lazada. How to tell real or fake wax?
bellamy85
post Jun 21 2019, 01:10 PM

30 posts

IMO wax is better than coating. Yes, coating can last a few years, still can't escape the scratch from small rock etc2. Make even worst you can't re-work the scratch unless u remove the coating. But if u are lazy type of person, wouldn't mind for small2 scracth, have big budget and planning to change car for every 4-5 years, coating should do the job.

For me waxing is a cheaper alternative and more practical. However it durability also depending on ur usage, once a year of waxing should do a job. Plus if got scratch here and there, u can always applied the wax on ur own in that area and repair the scratch.
wantrepreneur
post Jun 21 2019, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

i would recommend coating!
less maintenance and upkeep.
more time to be thinking of doing more productive tasks.

4 Pages « < 2 3 4Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0116sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:36 PM