Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Should I go for coating or wax?, get some suggestions and differences

views

TSpsychocryo
post Oct 11 2016, 12:06 PM, updated 8y ago

13 posts

Hi guys, i would like to get some opinion in making the right choice and get some key differences between the two. I just got a new car and im doing some research on coating. As i can see now that you need to fork out extra to do coatings.

i also did some readings on wax. and found out it's also to protect your paint, uv and etc. So far from what is see is that coating lasts longer than wax and both offer protection on car paint. wax need to be done once 3-4 months. Coating would last longer depending on the type and the shop/brand.

A key situation of mine is my house has a porch and has no roof. so on the weekends, its gonna be exposed to sunlight. weekdays would be ok coz im parking my card in a carpark at the office. That is why im considering either coating or wax.

So, should i go for coating for protection or i can do it properly by waxing the car once 3-4months? Of course i read those coating sites claiming that wax is old and can even damage your paint blablabla..but i think this is all their marketing strategy. i have the budget, but i dont want to spend it wrongly. So any car care enthusiast here could help me out in giving some explanations or suggestions?

I appreciate it. Thanks smile.gif
a_dot_el
post Oct 11 2016, 12:11 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

Depends on how long you plan to keep your car. I change my car every 5-6 years.

So never wax, never polish and never coat. Mostly park under the sun, 5-6 years the paint still looks nice.
ReD_ZoNe18
post Oct 11 2016, 12:15 PM

32 posts

coating la..alang2 nk buat..buat la yg mahal skit.tahan lama.
since budget is not a problem..juz do expensive one la
TamashiiHeroes
post Oct 11 2016, 12:17 PM

35 posts

just wax ,repaint few years later if necessary
go for coating if ur wallet deep enough
dirtrun
post Oct 11 2016, 12:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,136 posts

My take on tis..

Most people do coating in the hopes that it helps maintain the paint of the car from the environment without [or at least with very little] maintenance on their part..
If you find washing/waxing [generally, taking care of your car] a chore, then do the coating - at the very least, it cannot be worse than a wax..
Imleonardlim
post Oct 11 2016, 12:28 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

I just get quote by the famous ceramic coat.

3 layer ceramic coating on body. Include 3 step polish, 1 layer ceramic pro plastic/rubber for all exterior and interior, 1 layer for all the window, 1 layer for wheel and caliper. It is just a entry level. U can coat more layer as u wish. The entry price quoted RM2799 - 200 for oct only.

Not to say about the money. if I wax my car once a quarter RM200 x 4 times a year = RM800 x 4 years = RM3200
Why I have to pay for coating 2599 for 1 layer coating? I do need expert to correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks TS to open the thread~

This post has been edited by Imleonardlim: Oct 11 2016, 12:30 PM
dirtrun
post Oct 11 2016, 12:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,136 posts

QUOTE(Imleonardlim @ Oct 11 2016, 12:28 PM)
I just get quote by the famous ceramic coat.

3 layer ceramic coating on body. Include 3 step polish, 1 layer ceramic pro plastic/rubber for all exterior and interior, 1 layer for all the window, 1 layer for wheel and caliper. It is just a entry level. U can coat more layer as u wish. The entry price quoted RM2799 - 200 for oct only.

Not to say about the money. if I wax my car once a quarter RM200 x 4 times a year = RM800 x 4 years = RM3200
Why I have to pay for coating 2599 for 1 layer coating? I do need expert to correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks TS to open the thread~
I think,

Its all about the money.. plus the hype that the coating companies do [ads and tests and all that] ..
TSpsychocryo
post Oct 11 2016, 12:58 PM

13 posts

Main reason asking is dont want to fall for the hypes of the coating company. If the difference is just in tahan lama, but you are enthusiatic in maintaining car yourself then wax would be ok already. Just kena rajin..

Im not saying coating is bad and tipu. Juz dont want to go for wrong option. If not rajin to do maintenance on car everytime then i think coating is good.

So far i think it looks the same. It depends on money and time spent on car.

More money + malas maintain = coating
Less money + rajin maintain = wax
dirtrun
post Oct 11 2016, 01:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,136 posts

QUOTE(psychocryo @ Oct 11 2016, 12:58 PM)
Main reason asking is dont want to fall for the hypes of the coating company. If the difference is just in tahan lama, but you are enthusiatic in maintaining car yourself then wax would be ok already. Just kena rajin..

Im not saying coating is bad and tipu. Juz dont want to go for wrong option. If not rajin to do maintenance on car everytime then i think coating is good.

So far i think it looks the same. It depends on money and time spent on car.

More money + malas maintain = coating
Less money + rajin maintain = wax
thumbsup.gif
Imleonardlim
post Oct 11 2016, 01:12 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

I get quoted from another story teller "nano flex technology"
3 layer polish, 3 layer waxing, 3 layer nano flex Coating, 3 layer coat on rubber plastic interior exterior, rim and lights. RM3099 for the whole car

3099 I can spray color for the whole car alrdy!
SUSskyblu3
post Oct 11 2016, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(Imleonardlim @ Oct 11 2016, 12:28 PM)
The entry price quoted RM2799 - 200 for oct only.
shocking.gif

Better use the money to get a fresh new coat of paint.
Imleonardlim
post Oct 11 2016, 01:14 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

Business hype like to use the word nano, ceramic, nasa technology to con ur subconscious mind to accept their product is good. In fact made in mainland.

I still believe my own hand + meguinar / turtle wax
Imleonardlim
post Oct 11 2016, 01:16 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Oct 11 2016, 01:13 PM)
shocking.gif

Yay.. I can even wrap it to matt if I want. No right or wrong. I just spend wisely apart from my hard earn blood sweat money.
TSpsychocryo
post Oct 11 2016, 01:30 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(Imleonardlim @ Oct 11 2016, 01:14 PM)
Business hype like to use the word nano, ceramic, nasa technology to con ur subconscious mind to accept their product is good. In fact made in mainland.

I still believe my own hand + meguinar / turtle wax
same here! this is what im thinking. and i used turtle wax also. i think those are marketing strategies. its not bad and it does work but sometimes i think it's over exaggerating.
TSpsychocryo
post Oct 11 2016, 01:32 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(Imleonardlim @ Oct 11 2016, 01:12 PM)
I get quoted from another story teller "nano flex technology"
3 layer polish, 3 layer waxing, 3 layer nano flex Coating, 3 layer coat on rubber plastic interior exterior, rim and lights. RM3099 for the whole car

3099 I can spray color for the whole car alrdy!
QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Oct 11 2016, 01:13 PM)
shocking.gif

with these amounts, you can get a new paint job? i didnt know this. a new point to add in making my decision. hmm.gif
Zot
post Oct 11 2016, 01:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(psychocryo @ Oct 11 2016, 12:06 PM)
Hi guys, i would like to get some opinion in making the right choice and get some key differences between the two. I just got a new car and im doing some research on coating. As i can see now that you need to fork out extra to do coatings.

i also did some readings on wax. and found out it's also to protect your paint, uv and etc. So far from what is see is that coating lasts longer than wax and both offer protection on car paint. wax need to be done once 3-4 months. Coating would last longer depending on the type and the shop/brand.

A key situation of mine is my house has a porch and has no roof. so on the weekends, its gonna be exposed to sunlight. weekdays would be ok coz im parking my card in a carpark at the office. That is why im considering either coating or wax.

So, should i go for coating for protection or i can do it properly by waxing the car once 3-4months? Of course i read those coating sites claiming that wax is old and can even damage your paint blablabla..but i think this is all their marketing strategy. i have the budget, but i dont want to spend it wrongly. So any car care enthusiast here could help me out in giving some explanations or suggestions?

I appreciate it. Thanks  smile.gif
The truth is all car paint are coated nowadays. Wax is just like putting make-up on face so that any dirt can be washed of easily.

Dust, bird drops, etc. that are left on car paint for long will damage coating or paint. So, regular weekly wash will be just fine for car. My car even after 7 years, the paint looks good even without polishing. If polish, it is still like new except for those small stone chips, of course.
berann
post Oct 11 2016, 01:42 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(psychocryo @ Oct 11 2016, 12:06 PM)

I appreciate it. Thanks  smile.gif
Not really need to spend few k on coating la. For me i just buy ceramic ceracoat made from Switzerland(Can be purchased from Msia official distributor). Is a coating liquid just like coating that can last min 6 months. One bottle RM 100 can coat 4 times. 1 hour done, is easier than wax. Just coat it every 6 months. and i wash my car weekly using turtle wash n wax. the car still shines like just wax and water repellent after 3 months on my new car.

http://www.ceracoat.me/
TSpsychocryo
post Oct 11 2016, 01:46 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(berann @ Oct 11 2016, 01:42 PM)
Not really need to spend few k on coating la. For me i just buy ceramic ceracoat made from Switzerland(Can be purchased from Msia official distributor). Is a coating liquid just like coating that can last min 6 months. One bottle RM 100 can coat 4 times. 1 hour done, is easier than wax. Just coat it every 6 months. and i wash my car weekly using turtle wash n wax. the car still shines like just wax and water repellent after 3 months on my new car.

http://www.ceracoat.me/

hmm.gif ..can take into consideration. where do you usually get yours?
lsm1991
post Oct 11 2016, 01:49 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

unless your car is one with some fancy coat of paint or a really old classic with its original point intact... i personally feel that the coating is just a waste of time and money =3=......

i would rather repaint the car for the kind of money a coating costs.

use some good wax from meguiars or soft99 and you are good to go.

This post has been edited by lsm1991: Oct 11 2016, 01:50 PM
garrick86
post Oct 11 2016, 01:54 PM

Getting Started
169 posts

Original paint is always the best quality and color, if your car is branded luxury car then opt not to repaint.

Ferrari and Lambo often wrapped in full XPEL as they want to keep the original paint and rm3k repaint can never be the same for them.

Original paint is always baked in oven at high temp with car frame only while repaint is normally air-dry or bake at lower temp as the plastic parts installed cannot stand high heat and will melt.

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:44 AM