Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 100,000 electric vehicle on our road by 2030?, Lofty goal or achievable?

views

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Mar 29 2021, 09:41 AM

Regular
1,777 posts

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/malt...ehicle-business

When you are on something, you will attract.

Another MOU with Ho Wah Genting, this time a likely investor (Malton Berhad)
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Mar 29 2021, 09:49 AM

Regular
1,777 posts

QUOTE(Lone Wolf X @ Mar 26 2021, 04:45 PM)
I'll believe it when I see actual EV production form the automotive manufacturer come out of the factory.
Yeah, I know how it is ...Faith is shown more in private sector efforts then the governmental's one.

I think it is very much like all disruption, our Governmental is really really slow slow poke. Luckily the private one takes the lead, and a new comer (to the industry), I foresee the Chinese ones will cause more disruption in this region than any government can curtail. Indonesia , Thailand is all games, even Singapore , and now even Brunei

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanp...e-pilot-project

So our slow poke one better make up lost time, late is sill way way better than never.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 1 2021, 01:01 AM

Regular
1,777 posts

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2021/03/678...aysia-singapore
6UE5T
post Apr 1 2021, 02:06 AM

Regular
1,319 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Mar 29 2021, 09:49 AM)
Yeah, I know how it is ...Faith is shown more in private sector efforts then the governmental's one.

I think it is very much like all disruption, our Governmental is really really slow slow poke. Luckily the private one takes the lead, and a new comer (to the industry), I foresee the Chinese ones will cause more disruption in this region than any government can curtail. Indonesia , Thailand is all games, even Singapore , and now  even Brunei

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanp...e-pilot-project

So our slow poke one better make up lost time, late is sill way way better than never.
I am happy if NY gov is the slowest one in adopting this! 😆
mcchin
post Apr 1 2021, 09:16 AM

Σ˸3
3,698 posts

Not to be debbie downer

user posted image

norway 9 years ago had 3000plus stations

5 years in they manage to double that number

user posted image

Norway is a country similar to Malaysia in area
but 1/6 th of the population

but their GDP is 6 times of Malaysia

so to claim to start with 300, then jumped to 20K + in 5 years?

aint happening
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 1 2021, 09:46 AM

Regular
1,777 posts

QUOTE(mcchin @ Apr 1 2021, 09:16 AM)
Not to be debbie downer

user posted image

norway 9 years ago had 3000plus stations

5 years in they manage to double that number

user posted image
Norway is a country similar to Malaysia in area
but 1/6 th of the population

but their GDP is 6 times of Malaysia

so to claim to start with 300, then jumped to 20K + in 5 years?

aint happening
I think a game changer may change that

https://www.carlist.my/news/is-the-ora-good...or-82374/82374/

Miaow?
mcchin
post Apr 1 2021, 10:20 AM

Σ˸3
3,698 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 1 2021, 09:46 AM)
I think a game changer may change that

https://www.carlist.my/news/is-the-ora-good...or-82374/82374/

Miaow?
Oh, I am saying the 1st post about charging station

More affordable cars is a good thing perhaps

But will Malaysia be open to outsider to let them come in and install supporting facilities freely

For me that is the best and fastest way to catch up the EV game

If still with the "tender" game and you garu my back, I garu your back stuff

25k station in 5 years time is impossible

This post has been edited by mcchin: Apr 1 2021, 10:20 AM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 1 2021, 10:09 PM

Regular
1,777 posts

QUOTE(mcchin @ Apr 1 2021, 10:20 AM)
Oh, I am saying the 1st post about charging station

More affordable cars is a good thing perhaps

But will Malaysia be open to outsider to let them come in and install supporting facilities freely

For me that is the best and fastest way to catch up the EV game

If still with the "tender" game and you garu my back, I garu your back stuff

25k station in 5 years time is impossible
You are right about 25k will fall short, currently there are only about 500.

https://themalaysianreserve.com/2020/10/23/...ng-nsc-by-1q21/

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 2 2021, 05:38 PM

Regular
1,777 posts

https://soyacincau.com/2021/03/31/mykar-mal...ess-than-rm50k/

This reminds me of a song...

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Apr 2 2021, 05:41 PM
Lone Wolf X
post Apr 3 2021, 12:50 PM

Casual
327 posts

I wish them all the best & hope they can achieve their vision of becoming an OEM manufacturer for EV.
You must remember that we are currently at the bottom end of the EV adoption curve and the only way is up!

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 2 2021, 05:38 PM)
https://soyacincau.com/2021/03/31/mykar-mal...ess-than-rm50k/

This reminds me of a song...

<-- no content -->
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 3 2021, 11:36 PM

Regular
1,777 posts

QUOTE(Lone Wolf X @ Apr 3 2021, 12:50 PM)
I wish them all the best & hope they can achieve their vision of becoming an OEM manufacturer for EV.
You must remember that we are currently at the bottom end of the EV adoption curve and the only way is up!
Here is another that needs your well wishes

https://www.nst.com.my/lifestyle/bots/2021/...-electric-dream
Lone Wolf X
post Apr 4 2021, 08:13 AM

Casual
327 posts

Hydrogen and ultra capacitors together?
and used for land transport?

Based on current knowledge and discussion. I'll pass.

*This is not investment advice, do your own due diligence*

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 3 2021, 11:36 PM)
Here is another that needs your well wishes

https://www.nst.com.my/lifestyle/bots/2021/...-electric-dream
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 4 2021, 12:25 PM

Regular
1,777 posts

QUOTE(Lone Wolf X @ Apr 4 2021, 08:13 AM)
Hydrogen and ultra capacitors together?
and used for land transport?

Based on current knowledge and discussion. I'll pass.

*This is not investment advice, do your own due diligence*
Oh dear, I can hear them weeping without your well wishing....

Anyway based on the latest research piece, Malaysia really have a lot to catch up to and considering the time line, we don't really have much time....

https://klse.i3investor.com/m/blog/savemala...ustry_lagga.jsp

As EV sets to conquer Southeast Asia, Malaysia remains an industry laggard
Author: savemalaysia  Publish date:  Wed, 31 Mar 2021, 6:14 PM

AS Asean countries are progressively updating their electric vehicle (EV) roadmaps, both Malaysia and the Philippines have emerged as two laggards in terms of adoption among their regional peers.

While it is understood that Malaysia is in the midst of formulating its EV policy, the Philippine’s EV roadmap still lacks clarity and direction, according to Maybank IB Research.

“Singapore remains in the forefront as the most forward-looking and the fastest to embrace e-mobility,” wrote analyst Liaw Thong Jung in an automotive sector update.

“Thailand is accelerating its EV adoption, by bringing forward its projections (production and domestic use) five years earlier with the aim to be the ASEAN EV hub by 2025.”

Meanwhile, Indonesia has a clear EV policy and is pro-EV foreign direct investment (FDI). It has the largest nickel reserves in the world, a key raw material used to manufacture batteries.

“Brunei, too, has recently unveiled its EV policy, setting targets to have 60% of its sales be electric by 2035,” revealed Liaw.

“In Vietnam, Vinfast which is the country’s EV flagship manufacturer (scooter, bus, vehicles manufacturing) is set to embark on exporting its models worldwide.”

Based on its analysis, Maybank IB Research expects (i) EV’s penetration rate (currently at an embryonic stage of 4%) to super-charge at a growth rate of five times to 20% by 2025; (ii) EV-to-ICEV (internal combustion engine vehicle) sales to reach parity (1:1) by 2030; and (iii) EVs to outsell ICEVs from 2035.

“The EV adoption could accelerate as (i) total cost of ownership (TCO) for EVs fall over time due to technological breakthrough and rising economies of scale, (ii) EV infrastructure expands; and (iii) the millennial generation adopts EVs.

Prospect-wise, Maybank IB Research foresees a greater EV adoption at the two-wheeler (2W) segment in the ASEAN market for it already has a ready-made commercial solution, ie smart batteries (swaps & share) and infrastructure.

Moreover, it is easily deployed and capable of addressing range anxiety issues, charging infrastructure availability and upfront capital cost concerns.

The 2W and 4W market share in ASEAN which has a population of 673 million people (9% of global population) is 220 million units and 40 million units respectively.

“This would appeal to the mass market, especially those in the rural areas,” justified the research house.

“Meanwhile, ASEAN should look at China and pure-EV companies for EV opportunities/partnership/investment and pursue green technology/projects (hydrogen) at the same time.” – March 31, 2021

https://focusmalaysia.my/markets/as-ev-sets...dustry-laggard/

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Apr 4 2021, 01:53 PM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 4 2021, 04:50 PM

Regular
1,777 posts

https://themalaysianreserve.com/2021/04/01/...-pack-assembly/

Malaysia well-positioned to increase battery pack assembly

Thursday, April 1st, 2021 at Economy | News

The South-East Asian region offers the automotive industry a diversification strategy for Li-ion batteries intended for EVs

By NUR HAZIQAH A MALEK / Pic BLOOMBERG

MALAYSIA and Thailand are well-positioned to increase the assembly of battery packs as both markets can take advantage of the export of completely built units (CBUs) of electric vehicles (EVs) in the region.

Fitch Solutions Inc, in a report yesterday, said the South-East Asian region offers the automotive industry a diversification strategy for lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries intended for EVs going forward.

“The South-East Asian region has the potential to link into the accelerating global battery supply chain, with Indonesia set to participate heavily in the upstream sector, supplying the likes of Thailand and other significant players in the EV production landscape with much needed Li-ion battery cells.

“The assembly of battery packs could potentially take place in Malaysia and Thailand where the export of CBUs of EVs could take place,” it said.

The research firm said while Indonesia is anticipated to dominate the upstream and midstream sectors of the battery supply chain, Thailand and Malaysia can play a key role in the downstream sector.

“Battery cells manufactured in Indonesia could find a vibrant market in Thailand going forward. This is on the back of the country’s plan requiring 30% of total vehicles produced in the country to be EVs by 2030,” it said.

Fitch Solutions expects automakers such as BMW (Thailand) Co Ltd and Mercedes-Benz (Thailand) Ltd to enter supply contracts with Indonesia-based manufacturers for the supply, which would then be assembled into packs for EVs.

“Malaysia will be another source of battery cell demand going forward as the latest iteration of the National Automotive Policy (NAP), introduced in February 2021, will stimulate investments into EV production in the country.

“However, we expect EV production in the near term (one to three years) to be limited as Thailand emerges as a key hub for EV production in South-East Asia,” it said.

“Automakers in Malaysia such as Volvo Car Manufacturing Malaysia Sdn Bhd could offer some upside for the output of EVs to rise going forward, raising demand for Indonesian-made battery cells,” it said.

Fitch Solutions also noted that Perusahaan Otomobil Kedua Sdn Bhd, Malaysia’s largest automaker by sales volumes, has hinted at pivoting towards EV production in the country.

“While there is limited scope for Indonesian-made battery cells to receive sufficient demand in Malaysia and Thailand, we expect Indonesian battery production operations to offer export opportunities beyond the region,” it said.

Indonesia is poised to dominate the South-East Asian region’s battery supply chain as it has attracted investments into its battery manufacturing sector, as South Korea’s LG Chem Ltd and China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd have both unveiled large investments into battery manufacturing in the country.

“Indonesia’s large nickel deposits, coupled with a ban on the export of nickel ore, have prompted companies to invest into the country to secure critical nickel supplies for battery manufacturing,” the research firm said.

It expects nickel demand for EV battery manufacturing to rise at an annual average growth rate of 29.2% from 2021 to 2030, outpacing both lithium and cobalt demand.

“The upstream sector in the supply chain, such as resource extraction and mineral processing, will be a prominent part of Indonesia’s role, while the manufacturing of battery components will also take place in the country given the investments received so far.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 8 2021, 01:59 AM

Regular
1,777 posts

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/sust...rgers-ev-future

constant_weight
post Apr 8 2021, 11:58 AM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Apr 4 2021, 04:50 PM)
Who else making PHEV beside Volvo and BMW in Malaysia? BEV, haven't see anything.

Comparing to our neighbors, we are in shit terrible position. Where the author of this article get his optimism.

Hyundai Ionic willing to put their money in Singapore with much higher labour cost prove that we are out weighted in everything else. Government needs to wake up.

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 8 2021, 02:31 PM

Regular
1,777 posts

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Apr 8 2021, 11:58 AM)
Who else making PHEV beside Volvo and BMW in Malaysia? BEV, haven't see anything.

Comparing to our neighbors, we are in shit terrible position. Where the author of this article get his optimism.

Hyundai Ionic willing to put their money in Singapore with much higher labour cost prove that we are out weighted in everything else. Government needs to wake up.
tongue.gif

I am choosing to be looking at the brighter side...And I see aplenty. Many private companies seeing this as the next biz opportunity has already begun investing and signing deals
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Yesterday, 03:42 PM

Regular
1,777 posts

https://themalaysianreserve.com/2021/04/15/...s-to-indonesia/

Malaysian home-grown electric vehicles (EV) maker with a presence in the ASEAN market, Tree Technologies Sdn Bhd (Treeletrik) has signed a partnership to supply 200,000 units of its 100 per cent electric motorbikes to Indonesia via distributors.

In a statement today, Treeletrik said the three-year partnership with distributors, namely PT Pasifik Sakti Enjiniring and Nahdatul Ulama Board (PBNU), extended its regional presence as a key player in promoting electric mobility, supporting ASEAN’s energy transition agenda.

It said the partnership also positioned Malaysia as a key EV manufacturer and first regional supplier to export units in ASEAN, in line with the region’s evolving energy landscape.

“The region’s ultimate goal of decreasing the level of final energy consumption in the road transport sector by 2040 paves the way for EV makers like Treeletrik to continue building a progressive EV ecosystem,” it said.

Treeletrik chief executive officer Datuk Viswananthan Menon said the electric motorbikes offer customers long-term cost savings and more importantly contribute towards an overall positive impact to the environment.

With an average speed of 65-90 km/hour, the e-motorbikes have a travel range of 85 to 120 km daily and costs one sen to two sen to run per km (based on the Tenaga Nasional electricity rate of RM0.571/KwH charging at its highest tariff).

The e-motorbikes, also certified in Europe and Malaysia with UNECE WP.29 features Treeletrik’s signature quick swap lithium battery technology.

In preparation to fulfil its growing order books, the company is investing in its assembly, production, and marketing facilities, initially in Selangor, Malaysia and later at a new facility in Gebeng, Pahang in Malaysia.

It also plans to establish an assembly plant in Indonesia, a joint venture with Pasifik Sakti Enjiniring to streamline supply chain efficiencies and improve margins through local assembly in markets with sufficient demand.

The EV player began exporting an estimated 50 units of electric motorbikes to Thailand and Indonesia in 2020, with an additional 15,000 units due to be exported this year.

Other markets that Treeletrik is eyeing as potential customers include Philippines and Cambodia.

Menon said the sizeable orders secured to date and ongoing discussions with other countries expressing keen interest in Treeletrik’s e-bike range will result in significant expansion of the company’s operations in both Malaysia and internationally.

28 Pages « < 26 27 28Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0223sec    0.91    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th April 2021 - 10:08 AM