Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

100,000 electric vehicle on our road by 2030?, Lofty goal or achievable?

views

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 11 2017, 06:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

https://electrek.co/2017/03/30/renault-elec...attery-upgrade/

Battery Leasing the way to go?
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 12 2017, 06:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

This is so cool

http://creativity-online.com/work/renault-...en-by-zoe/51445
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Apr 12 2017, 04:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(NoCarUrbanite @ Apr 12 2017, 04:23 PM)
Minister Datuk Maximus made a statement yesterday at the launch of SER1M, that Malaysia will be a marketing hub for EVs by 2030. Target 100,000 EV by 2030.
https://motiondigest.com/2017/04/11/malaysi...c-universities/
The article said Malaysia is moving towards becoming a marketing hub for electric vehicles and is targeting 100,000 electric cars, 100,000 electric motorcycles, 2,000 electric buses and 125,000 charger stations to be in the country by 2030

Now they have added the absolute numbers and extended the date
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 24 2017, 06:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

http://www.motortrader.com.my/news/own-a-f...ding-insurance/
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 24 2017, 07:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/13210...res-ev-partners

Malaysia's indawan Enterprise is partner to this multi national deal including partners from India , Thailand, China and Nigeria

Who is Indawan Enterprise?

All I got is this
http://my-check.net/indawan-enterprise-sdn-bhd/928950.html

And this

https://www.gtfs.my/certified

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Sep 24 2017, 07:53 AM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 24 2017, 11:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2017/08/...ectric-car-soon
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 24 2017, 05:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(zweimmk @ Sep 24 2017, 02:44 PM)
At this point in time, would anyone in this forum seriously consider buying a China brand EV? Would you @EnergyAnalyst?
I am the kind that would ...Just that I can't because I don't stay at landed property at the moment
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 24 2017, 06:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/motiondigest.c...tesla-deal/amp/

So no to Tesla and hello Proton EV?
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 24 2017, 09:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

http://www.carsifu.my/news/bhpetrol-first-...rst-ev-chargers

Bravo for BP Malaysia. If you have the cable , bring your EV to charge for free
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 25 2017, 06:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

http://www.therakyatpost.com/business/2016...th-in-malaysia/
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 25 2017, 06:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Sep 24 2017, 10:32 PM)
It's not going to work. The fact remains that it is still much more expensive to produce an EV than ICE car. If EVs are heavily subsidized while ICE cars are heavily taxed sales will shift to EV cars so where does the subsidy come from? Once the subsidy is removed sales of EVs will collapse like in HK and people will go back to buying ICE cars. 

A rich country like Norway with a small population can afford to pay the subsidy during the transition period. Other govts will go bankrupt.
I agree it is pricey still to get an EV now so it will be niche at the moment , which suits some and not most at the moment.

To have it as niche is not necessary a bad thing initially since there will be a lot of anxiety when it comes to EV ownership.

The goal is to entice first movers.

There I believe exist a certain kind of individuals that only commute less than 100-150km per day and stayed at a landed property. Having two cars in the family and not one where the other can remain an ICE car for the occasional long trips .

I ticked most of the boxes except staying in a landed property. So for me, my strategy is two pronged , first move to a landed property in the next 3 years which by that time , I am more than ready to own an EV since I will pay off one of two ICE cars and will just keep only one .

Few years time take some patience but good things come to those who waits some say.

By then I will have hopefully full EV from Volvo since I don't like freaking BMW myself . Or if not a new LEAF for plan B

What drives me toward my set goal is not just to be green per se and rather sense.

I have owned a number of ICE cars before from local, Korean , japanese and French and I am tired of actually paying so much for car maintenance and petrol which runs to thousands every few months. Just the fuel bill alone is above 500 per months despite how I tried to cut down on travelling. I only commute about 50 to 100km daily.

More importantly I am tired of spending at least half my day on average at service centres waiting in queue for my car to be serviced . Time is what I aim to save too. I believe tHere us a better quality kind of life I deserve.

I would even go for Chinese made EV as plan C as my current Pug 408 is China made SKD model . I have two close relatives who own chinese cars one from Haval , one from Chery.

We can accept the build quality. To be honest , they are not that far off from Korean car standard. My last Korean car was a easy to keep and bash up cars . Moreover build quality of any cars even japanese is not that great these days, not when every car makers is trying to cut cost and make more money.

More importantly I have an attitude in life of no risk no gain and for most part I find living this way is very rewarding when taking a bit of calculated risk.

But like I said, it may not be for every body. May be not for sole car owners , may be not for high mileage travellers, but I believe with so much options of the new like using UBER, GRAB, car ownership is losing more popularity . Not when getting a car loan is also difficult.

Only old fart like me still like to keep car and drive, I guess. I still don't think I can give up the fun

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Sep 25 2017, 07:02 AM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 25 2017, 10:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(zweimmk @ Sep 25 2017, 09:42 AM)
Won't comment on build quality.

A daily commute of 100km is actually quite a lot. That's like a journey from KL to KLIA and 3/4 way back. A Nissan leaf will only just barely make it through the day laugh.gif

The only thing an EV saves on quite drastically is the maintenance cost, but the cost to buy it does not justify the savings at all.

And the time you save from the servicing an ICE car is negligible - Based on your mileage, you should only need to service your car at most 2 times a year, 3 is being generous. The time you spend and saved would not even amount to 1% of a time in a year.

And have you actually considered how green and clean it actually is to manufacture an EV? From the acquisition of raw materials for its battery (rare earth factories) to how the car has to recharge its power. The end result may not be as green as you think it is. No doubt weaning ourselves away from oil is a must but I'm not sure EV is right direction to go about it. I believe an EV has to be green from the way it was constructed to the way it recharges it batteries to be considered an ideal alternative to ICE.
When people talk about construction of EV, do they ask themselves about the construction of normal ICE car? How green is construction of a normal car?

A new LEAF has 400km range. Most newer one will have that too. Like I said. I only make 50 to 100km daily, average may be just 75km . Even today's EV is enough range for me. I will do charging nightly when I sleep. Where is the problem in that?

The thing is I want to stop visiting petrol station for petrol . Pumping free air for tyre is ok. A visiting occasional is way better than weekly. A lesser time spent at SC is good for my health too. Sometime it is not just about the quantity of time .It is the quality of time spent. Stress even a few months once is something one can do without. Stress is not neglible by any small dosage bro. It all adds up. Even if it is just 1% because if you are already 50% stressed up by other aspects of your life, 51% may be the tipping point that kills you.

Imagine a life where the hiking price weekly of fuel is no.longer your concern. Stress level also dropped I can imagine.

Talking about quality of time. I think i can also appreciate an EV for its quiteness, its instantaneous torque. Imagine living in some thing like that for a change. Think my stress level will come down considerably.

In any case, I am not trying to convince others to follow , I always respect other's choices even though I may have my own opinion. Everyone has freedom of speech to speak out from their own perspective.

I have had a bit of an unusual life so far, be it work/career, be it family, and I don't tend to follow majority mode of things because I had fair share of normal and honestly quite boring life for first 30 years of my life. Now every day is an adventure for me.

How is this for a plan? Install a solar panel.on your roof top, sell the electricity to the TNB grid, get deduction from your TNB bill. Charge your EV at home for your normal daily mode of transport. Reserve your other ICE car for very occasional travel long distance. Have that experience and share it at lowyat FnF?

In the meantime, get all your facts ready, e.g. Where are the EV charging stations locations. Which malls has it, which floor, which petrol station have them, where exactly are them on the highways, etc.etc.

It is a bit like learning a new trick and if an old dog like me can learn , I am sure many can too...

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Sep 25 2017, 10:35 AM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 25 2017, 11:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(IpohLad @ Sep 25 2017, 11:04 AM)
I think EnergyAnalyst mean 50-75km one way. Even traveling 100km one way still doable like you mentioned.

I'm with EnergyAnalyst who sick of sitting in the stupid service centre waisting weekend half a day doing nothing. I just visiting Singapore BMW enquired about the i3. According to them the i3 only need to service once every 3 years or 50k km. My dream come through.

Totally agree on how polluting it produce the battery. But have you ever thinking about how dirty it is to produce fossil fuel? The battery for each car only need to produce once every 10-15 years. Where an ICE car run on fossil fuel need to produce every day. Again a lot of people fail to see the "well to wheel" calculation who just jump on to "polluting battery production" or "polluting electricity coal plant".

You forgot to see the bigger picture ie how they ship the oil from off shore to mainland to do the refinements which use lots of electricity. After it need a lot of diesel trucks to distribute to all the stations. Where electricity they only need to dig the coal out and transport them to the electricity plant skipping the refine process. And electricity distribute via the grid which draw very little energy vs a V12 diesel truck.
I only clocked in 75km daily both ways. So I am even safer and has zero Range anxiety. The landed property I have planned to get is also near my condo. So zero change in travelling pattern few years down the road.

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Sep 25 2017, 11:22 AM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 25 2017, 12:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(IpohLad @ Sep 25 2017, 12:02 PM)
I'm picking up my Zoe next week. Will start a new thread about owning an EV in Malaysia.
GOOD. I will be glued to.your thread.Looking toward to it.
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 26 2017, 02:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(KennyKB @ Sep 26 2017, 09:50 AM)
Looks to me like you have identified a huge problem for mass EV adoption. How are apartment dwellers going to charge up their cars? When you have hundreds of EVs in the same location communal charging points aren't going to work. You will need one charging point for every parking lot with the ability to meter the point. It requires a big investment in infrastructure.
QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Sep 26 2017, 01:46 PM)
You are rite. Such charging infra may only be possible for new apartments in the future. For those dreaming of mass adoption of EVs in 2030 keep dreaming!
Actually some condo already has...You can move in to these few. Just mine don't have.
https://www.edgeprop.my/content/929064/more...ng-ports-needed

Attached Image

To start, you need not make every parking lots with meters. Just even one or two would be good enough. As there are more requirement , then get the condo management to green light expansion. The logic is simple , you need not grow ten feet tall at one go. Even malls in KL is doing just one or a few for start. When there is need, then expand. It is not that hard and costly

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Sep 26 2017, 03:43 PM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 26 2017, 05:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

I think many forgets the fact that in the grand scheme of things , even a lofty goal of 100k EV in three years time is only about 33k per year for the next three year. Malaysia registered about 600k+ cars every year. 33k is just about 5%.

Is that reason enough to be worrywart on queue at EV charging stations or points?. Owing to my line of work, I visits many high rises including shopping malls weekly . And what I have noticed even high traffics thousands of parking bays malls the dedicated EV station is rarely occupied.

Most of these EV will be charged at home or office for full charge and only kept for city daily commute. Very few if at all any will do long distance festive travelling.

I don't think EV will be mobility solution en Masse. It will be niche coz 5% is still niche at best

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Sep 26 2017, 05:35 PM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 26 2017, 05:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(zweimmk @ Sep 26 2017, 03:46 PM)
I know some of those condo projects since I'm involved with them. Some of them cost way too much for the average wage earner to be able to afford them.

You can always petition your management to install more standard charging ports since it seems to only use the standard 3 pin port, then there's no need to move to a landed property.
At worse, you can pay for the port yourself.

But I wonder if its such a simple upgrade as the article suggest. Hopefully there's an expert around that can answer this in regards to the consumption and infrastructure.
The thing About such petition is majority of the JMB will decide it as non priority item even when you volunteered to stomached the cost yourself. You can see the argument just in this thread on the reception of EV. I don't want to get into such pointless request for retrofitting .

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 26 2017, 08:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

Just realized there is already 212 ChargEV stations @july2017 established out of 300 per set goal to achieve by end of this year. Details please refer page one of this thread for post

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: Sep 26 2017, 10:08 PM
TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 27 2017, 08:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(zweimmk @ Sep 27 2017, 07:51 AM)
One key problem is our government's short term policy to EV. If the government would take a more long term approach and set a 5 year or longer tax free initiative, the adoption may become more rapid.

Understandably car manufacturers or related businesses are nervous about committing too much resources here for EV when EEV policies only run for a duration of 2 years.
https://www.pressreader.com/malaysia/new-st...282346859638357
2030 and not 2020 is the new deadline in case you have not heard

So mostly likely we have EEV policy version 2, 3....So on and so forth

TSEnergyAnalyst
post Sep 27 2017, 10:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,277 posts

QUOTE(zweimmk @ Sep 27 2017, 09:41 AM)
Can't find it, got a link?

Most of the google search only yield up to 2020.

And as far as I know, tax incentives for EEV will end come 31st Dec 2017. Beyond those dates are dependent on the "strategic value of these CKD assembly investments", which is quite ambiguous in its meaning.
http://m.thesundaily.my/node/438710

15 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:10 PM