Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Adoption [WTA] Sable Ferret

views

TSHarmonicM
post Sep 28 2016, 11:56 AM, updated 8y ago

31 posts

Hi all,

Just would like to ask, is there anywhere in Malaysia i can adopt or purchase a Ferret?

Thank you in advance.

This post has been edited by HarmonicM: Sep 28 2016, 11:57 AM
eternallife
post Sep 28 2016, 05:25 PM

1 posts

Hi, there.
I don't think it's a good idea, even if you can get hold of one. They would be most lonely alone, and very sad.
Malaysian vets generally do not have the capability to treat them, both for normal annual vaccines, as well as other issues.
Even for tortoises which are pretty common in Malaysia, vets don't really know how to diagnose and treat uncommon issues. I went through this myself. Not even the so-called "exotic pet experts."
So these days I think more about the happiness of the animal than my wish to keep a rare animal.
Hope this info helps...

Regulations:
=========
Australia – It is illegal to keep ferrets as pets in Queensland or the Northern Territory; in the ACT a licence is required.
Brazil – They are allowed only if they are given a microchip identification tag and sterilized.
New Zealand – It has been illegal to sell, distribute or breed ferrets in New Zealand since 2002 unless certain conditions are met.[38]
United States – Ferrets were once banned in many US states, but most of these laws were rescinded in the 1980s and 1990s as they became popular pets. Ferrets are still illegal in California under Fish and Game Code Section 2118;[39] and the California Code of Regulations,[40] although it is not illegal for veterinarians in the state to treat ferrets kept as pets. In November 1995, ferret proponents asked the California Fish and Game Commission to remove the domesticated ferret from the restrictive wildlife list. Additionally, "Ferrets are strictly prohibited as pets under Hawaii law because they are potential carriers of the rabies virus";[41] the territory of Puerto Rico has a similar law.[42] Ferrets are restricted by individual cities, such as Washington, DC, and New York City,[42] which renewed its ban in 2015.[43][44] They are also prohibited on many military bases.[42] A permit to own a ferret is needed in other areas, including Rhode Island.[45] Illinois and Georgia do not require a permit to merely possess a ferret, but a permit is required to breed ferrets.[46][47] It was once illegal to own ferrets in Dallas, Texas,[48] but the current Dallas City Code for Animals includes regulations for the vaccination of ferrets.[49] Pet ferrets are legal in Wisconsin, however legality varies by municipality. The city of Oshkosh, for example, classifies ferrets as a wild animal and subsequently prohibits them from being kept within the city limits. Also, an import permit from the state department of agriculture is required to bring one into the state.[50] Under the Common Law, ferrets are deemed "wild animals" subject to strict liability for injuries they cause, but in several states statutory law has overruled the common law, deeming ferrets "domestic." [51]
Japan – In Hokkaido prefecture, ferrets must be registered with the local government.[52] In other prefectures, no restrictions apply.

Import restrictions:
=============
Australia
Ferrets cannot be imported into Australia. A report drafted in August 2000 seems to be the only effort made to date to change the situation.[63]

Canada
Ferrets brought from anywhere except the US require a Permit to Import from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Animal Health Office. Ferrets from the US require only a vaccination certificate signed by a veterinarian. Ferrets under three months old are not subject to any import restrictions.[64]

European Union
As of July 2004, dogs, cats, and ferrets can travel freely within the European Union under the Pet passport scheme. To cross a border within the EU, ferrets require at minimum an EU PETS passport and an identification microchip (though some countries will accept a tattoo instead). Vaccinations are required; most countries require a rabies vaccine, and some require a distemper vaccine and treatment for ticks and fleas 24 to 48 hours before entry. Ferrets occasionally need to be quarantined before entering the country. PETS travel information is available from any EU veterinarian or on government websites.

United Kingdom
The UK accepts ferrets under the EU's PETS travel scheme. Ferrets must be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies, and documented. They must be treated for ticks and tapeworms 24 to 48 hours before entry. They must also arrive via an authorized route. Ferrets arriving from outside the EU may be subject to a six-month quarantine.[65]
TSHarmonicM
post Sep 29 2016, 04:56 PM

31 posts

Noted.

I change my mind too.

Thanks alot.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0107sec    0.86    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:57 PM