Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Non-law degree graduate to be a lawyer

views

TSgdgd
post Sep 27 2016, 12:39 PM, updated 8y ago

2 posts

I'm a non-law degree graduate but recently I would like to change my career direction to be a lawyer. I'm wondering is there any Uni/ Institute that offer course like GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) in Malaysia? Is this recognized in Malaysia? Or I should get another degree in law by doing it part-time? Can anyone with similar experiences or anyone working in the legal field give me some advice?
cyh03176
post Sep 27 2016, 12:46 PM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(gdgd @ Sep 27 2016, 12:39 PM)
I'm a non-law degree graduate but recently I would like to change my career direction to be a lawyer. I'm wondering is there any Uni/ Institute that offer course like GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law)  in Malaysia? Is this recognized in Malaysia? Or I should get another degree in law by doing it part-time? Can anyone with similar experiences or anyone working in the legal field give me some advice?
GDL is only offered in the UK and you will have to take BPTC in the UK too. CLP does not accept GDL.

My ex-classmaate in BPTC was a graduate in HR degree then he took GDL in Sunderland and BPTC in northumbria. Now he is a practising lawyer in KL.

This post has been edited by cyh03176: Sep 27 2016, 12:47 PM
knwong
post Sep 27 2016, 01:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,951 posts

There are many types of lawyer. If you are from engineering background, try patent attorney
izwanz
post Sep 27 2016, 03:43 PM

On my way
564 posts

It depends on what type of lawyer that you aspire to be.

Under Malaysian law, a person has to be a qualified person under the Legal Profession Act 1976. You can be an advocate and solicitor upon completing a Bachelor of Laws from recognised institution under the act or being called to any of the bars in the UK.

BAC would be best for you to check or if you are a Bumi, UiTM and UM can be good alternative as well for part time students.
TSgdgd
post Sep 28 2016, 03:26 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Sep 27 2016, 12:46 PM)
GDL is only offered in the UK and you will have to take BPTC in the UK too. CLP does not accept GDL.

My ex-classmaate in BPTC was a graduate in HR degree then he took GDL in Sunderland and BPTC in northumbria. Now he is a practising lawyer in KL.
May I know how old was your ex-classmate when he was doing GDL?
cyh03176
post Sep 28 2016, 03:58 PM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(gdgd @ Sep 28 2016, 03:26 PM)
May I know how old was your ex-classmate when he was doing GDL?
LOL@others' comment. They obviously don't know what you are asking about.

My classmate was 28 when he took the BPTC. I also have classmates who was 40.

You can ask me anything. I will answer you the best I can.
dude1988
post Sep 30 2016, 01:32 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Sep 28 2016, 03:58 PM)
LOL@others' comment. They obviously don't know what you are asking about.

My classmate was 28 when he took the BPTC. I also have classmates who was 40.

You can ask me anything. I will answer you the best I can.
Hi chy0317y,I am actually considering going over to UK to do the GDL aswell.

But need some advice and clarification in regards to the following,hope you will be able to part some information with me.

I am currently considering going over to UK to do the GDL Full-Time in 1 year,however,I am hearing some several sources that in order to go on to the BPTC after the GDL I need to attain a Distinction in GDL and a minimum 2:1 in my Undergrad Degree.Is this true?

Secondly,after completing and passing the GDL and BPTC,can I be called up to the Malaysian Bar?As I am hearing again from numerous sources that the Malaysian bar might not recognise the GDL.

Among all the UK universities offering the GDL,which would make the top 3 to do the GDL in?

Thanks.
cyh03176
post Sep 30 2016, 02:01 AM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(dude1988 @ Sep 30 2016, 01:32 AM)
Hi chy0317y,I am actually considering going over to UK to do the GDL aswell.

But need some advice and clarification in regards to the following,hope you will be able to part some information with me.

I am currently considering going over to UK to do the GDL Full-Time in 1 year,however,I am hearing some several sources that in order to go on to the BPTC after the GDL I need to attain a Distinction in GDL and a minimum 2:1 in my Undergrad Degree.Is this true?

Secondly,after completing and passing the GDL and BPTC,can I be called up to the Malaysian Bar?As I am hearing again from numerous sources that the Malaysian bar might not recognise the GDL.

Among all the UK universities offering the GDL,which would make the top 3 to do the GDL in?

Thanks.
it's either distinction or commendation but you have clarify with the university itself. same like degree, the minimum requirement is 2:2 but most universities will not take you in unless they still have slots, they will consider 1st class or 2nd upper first.

the minimum requirement:
1. completed your academic stage;
2. obtained a 2:2 class degree or higher; <- as explained above
3. been admitted as a student member of one of the four Inns of Court;
4. satisfied the English language requirement; and <- if you get 1st class or 2nd upper class honour degree from the UK, you automatically fulfill this requirement, if not, you have to take IELTS or other english test
5. passed the Bar Aptitude test. <- if you have common sense and critical thinking skill, you will pass. it's not that hard.

as i already said before, i have a friend who is now practising in malaysia. he took HR degree, GDL, then BPTC

all universities are the same, don't need to bother with university rankings regarding BPTC because oxbridge don't offer them. the best university you could go is Cardiff. anyway, i took my degree and BPTC in northumbria. the weather is nice, the people is nice, everything you need is within walking distance. the best thing is, the library is open 24/7. other universities don't offer this. northumbria offers GDL as well. they have a regional office at midvalley too, u can go and consult them. also, if u take GDL in northumbria, the BPTC entry requirement will be minimal because you are an alumni and you can also take alumni discount on tuition fee.

anymore question? feel free to ask.
dude1988
post Sep 30 2016, 02:15 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Sep 30 2016, 02:01 AM)
it's either distinction or commendation but you have clarify with the university itself. same like degree, the minimum requirement is 2:2 but most universities will not take you in unless they still have slots, they will consider 1st class or 2nd upper first.

the minimum requirement:
1. completed your academic stage;
2. obtained a 2:2 class degree or higher; <- as explained above
3. been admitted as a student member of one of the four Inns of Court;
4. satisfied the English language requirement; and <- if you get 1st class or 2nd upper class honour degree from the UK, you automatically fulfill this requirement, if not, you have to take IELTS or other english test
5. passed the Bar Aptitude test. <- if you have common sense and critical thinking skill, you will pass. it's not that hard.

as i already said before, i have a friend who is now practising in malaysia. he took HR degree, GDL, then BPTC

all universities are the same, don't need to bother with university rankings regarding BPTC because oxbridge don't offer them. the best university you could go is Cardiff. anyway, i took my degree and BPTC in northumbria. the weather is nice, the people is nice, everything you need is within walking distance. the best thing is, the library is open 24/7. other universities don't offer this. northumbria offers GDL as well. they have a regional office at midvalley too, u can go and consult them. also, if u take GDL in northumbria, the BPTC entry requirement will be minimal because you are an alumni and you can also take alumni discount on tuition fee.

anymore question? feel free to ask.
Thanks for your prompt and comprehensive reply btw.

Alright so now my only other question would be do you know of any other country that offers the GDL outside UK?(Consideration to save that few 100k's which I will have to spend if I am going over to UK?)

And what are your thoughts of Cyber Law/Internet Law?Do you reckon that there will be a greater need for these type of lawyers in the coming years in Malaysia?

Because from my understanding at this current point in time,there are very few law firms in Malaysia that specialize in this type of work.

Reason I am asking is because I am currently an IT graduate,and I want to get into the Cyber Law/Internet Law arena but if the exposure is not great in Malaysia or rather there is none then I need to actually move to countries where Cyber Law/Internet Law is more prominent or maybe give this a second thought.

Thanks.
cyh03176
post Sep 30 2016, 02:49 AM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(dude1988 @ Sep 30 2016, 02:15 AM)
Thanks for your prompt and comprehensive reply btw.

Alright so now my only other question would be do you know of any other country that offers the GDL outside UK?(Consideration to save that few 100k's which I will have to spend if I am going over to UK?)

And what are your thoughts of Cyber Law/Internet Law?Do you reckon that there will be a greater need for these type of lawyers in the coming years in Malaysia?

Because from my understanding at this current point in time,there are very few law firms in Malaysia that specialize in this type of work.

Reason I am asking is because I am currently an IT graduate,and I want to get into the Cyber Law/Internet Law arena but if the exposure is not great in Malaysia or rather there is none then I need to actually move to countries where Cyber Law/Internet Law is more prominent or maybe give this a second thought.

Thanks.
you can work anywhere in the world but you can't simply practice in a foreign law firm. Even with your BTPC, countries like Hong Kong will need you to pass their foreign lawyer exam first.

I am afraid that UK is your only choice. Your only other option would be taking UOL and then CLP which is a tougher route. I am not saying BPTC is easy, you need to have talent for it rather than simply memorising stuffs for CLP.

BPTC passing mark is 60, CLP is 40. This is why most of the practising lawyers are bad because they are not even half as good as a lawyer should be.

I have yet to encounter a Cyber Law/Internet Law lawyer. The most niche law area now should be insurance, as far as i know, there's 1 or 2 firms dominating this area. I was doing conveyancing, general civil litigation, probate and divorce matters, now I am doing corporate and IP.
ntdote
post Jul 26 2020, 09:56 PM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(cyh03176 @ Sep 30 2016, 02:49 AM)
you can work anywhere in the world but you can't simply practice in a foreign law firm. Even with your BTPC, countries like Hong Kong will need you to pass their foreign lawyer exam first.

I am afraid that UK is your only choice. Your only other option would be taking UOL and then CLP which is a tougher route. I am not saying BPTC is easy, you need to have talent for it rather than simply memorising stuffs for CLP.

BPTC passing mark is 60, CLP is 40. This is why most of the practising lawyers are bad because they are not even half as good as a lawyer should be.

I have yet to encounter a Cyber Law/Internet Law lawyer. The most niche law area now should be insurance, as far as i know, there's 1 or 2 firms dominating this area. I was doing conveyancing, general civil litigation, probate and divorce matters, now I am doing corporate and IP.
I am also considering taking GDL > BPTC.

From my brief research, there is now an option to do GDL online, offered by amongst other, BPP University and University of Law.

What do you think about these online GDL?

cyh03176
post Aug 4 2020, 04:23 PM

Casual
476 posts

QUOTE(ntdote @ Jul 26 2020, 09:56 PM)
I am also considering taking GDL > BPTC.

From my brief research, there is now an option to do GDL online, offered by amongst other, BPP University and University of Law.

What do you think about these online GDL?
no comment about online GDL, but a friend of mine studied GDL and then BPTC at northumbria and now is practising in Malaysia
myo
post Aug 5 2020, 03:37 AM

Getting Started
89 posts

so you´re watching tv series called SUIT
real life is not the same as in the tv
hksgmy
post Aug 5 2020, 07:57 AM

Doraemon!
4,358 posts

Maybe you could consider a Juris Doctor degree in Australia. It’s a postgraduate entry masters equivalent Law qualification, and recognized in many Common Law jurisdictions, after the appropriate local licensing requirements.

That’s something I have been toying with, when I retire in Sydney.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:47 AM