Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Purchasing a new iphone, What to look for during cod

views

TSHJoker
post Sep 26 2016, 10:50 AM, updated 8y ago

47 posts

Hi guys, im planning to get an iphone 6s 64gb from a mudah seller this week, just need some advice on what to look for during the cod to know whether the phone is new. Lately i found out that alot merchants out there are selling refurbished phone and the scary part is they changed the internal parts only which makes it hard to tell from the outside whether the phone is completely new or has been 'modified'. Any sifu willing to teach me on how to tell the difference between a new and refurbished phone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
OKLY
post Sep 26 2016, 11:42 AM

The Penguin Vader
Group Icon
Staff
11,946 posts

QUOTE(HJoker @ Sep 26 2016, 10:50 AM)
Hi guys, im planning to get an iphone 6s 64gb from a mudah seller this week, just need some advice on what to look for during the cod to know whether the phone is new. Lately i found out that alot merchants out there are selling refurbished phone and the scary part is they changed the internal parts only which makes it hard to tell from the outside whether the phone is completely new or has been 'modified'. Any sifu willing to teach me on how to tell the difference between a new and refurbished phone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
It's difficult to tell unless you open it up, then you'll know if original parts are inside or not. Maybe try contacting some reputable repair shops and see if they are willing to help you check and nego the service charge for this. Then you can arrange your COD to be there for your peace of mind.
shyan90's
post Sep 26 2016, 11:43 AM

To Be Old and Wise You Must First be Young and Stupid
855 posts

Hi guys, im planning to get an iphone 6s 64gb from a mudah seller this week, just need some advice on what to look for during the cod to know whether the phone is new. Lately i found out that alot merchants out there are selling refurbished phone and the scary part is they changed the internal parts only which makes it hard to tell from the outside whether the phone is completely new or has been 'modified'. Any sifu willing to teach me on how to tell the difference between a new and refurbished phone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
Is based on trust... but 1st...you can check is the phone is under warranty or not.
Since you said is new unit, it should be have 1 year warranty...
Second...you need to check is the IMEI number stated in the box match with the phone imei number....
Third, you can look the screw is there any sign being opened by someone or not... you also can check the condition of the 3.5mm jack and lightning port.

TSHJoker
post Sep 26 2016, 12:47 PM

47 posts

QUOTE(OKLY @ Sep 26 2016, 11:42 AM)
It's difficult to tell unless you open it up, then you'll know if original parts are inside or not. Maybe try contacting some reputable repair shops and see if they are willing to help you check and nego the service charge for this. Then you can arrange your COD to be there for your peace of mind.
yea, but its kinda rude to do so cause it shows that u dont trust the buyer at all, in the past i have sold my iphone before and non of the buyers went to the extend of opening up the phone to check the internal parts of it so i think buying from merchants is all about trust. Thanks alot for the advice thou smile.gif
TSHJoker
post Sep 26 2016, 12:49 PM

47 posts

QUOTE(shyan90's @ Sep 26 2016, 11:43 AM)
Is based on trust... but 1st...you can check is the phone is under warranty or not.
Since you said is new unit, it should be have 1 year warranty...
Second...you need to check is the IMEI number stated in the box match with the phone imei number....
Third, you can look the screw is there any sign being opened by someone or not... you also can check the condition of the 3.5mm jack and lightning port.
yea, i did tell the seller that i would only buy the phone if the 1 yr warranty is still valid and thanks so much for the input, will follow the steps as u mentioned rclxms.gif
LipotKing
post Sep 26 2016, 12:50 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

Easy. go to iphone website check the warranty using IMEI code. If its not available means its fake and refurbished.

If the phone is new the warranty should be valid. Check the warranty date as well to see if it has been activated as well. This is the fastest and easist way

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

This post has been edited by LipotKing: Sep 26 2016, 12:55 PM
MeToo
post Sep 26 2016, 12:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,297 posts

QUOTE(HJoker @ Sep 26 2016, 12:47 PM)
yea, but its kinda rude to do so cause it shows that u dont trust the buyer at all, in the past i have sold my iphone before and non of the buyers went to the extend of opening up the phone to check the internal parts of it so i think buying from merchants is all about trust. Thanks alot for the advice thou  smile.gif
Rude or not its up to you.

Its better to be safe then end up with a crap unit and start raging later.
jzack
post Sep 26 2016, 01:35 PM

Getting Started
203 posts

upon COD :
1. open box, iphone should not come with any screen protector / low quality wrap.
2. turn on, activate the phone with sim.
3. check settings > general > imei / serial should be the same on the box.
4. check warranty, if the warranty still have 1 year from the day u deal, then ur device is totally new.

**dont trust the plastic box seal since it still does not prove that the device is totally new.
**do online transfer, try to avoid dealing by cash upon COD.

TS, is it a really good deal? why not spend a little more and get a new one from apple reseller directly? the price of 6s is not that high now. its not worth the risk and trouble if the difference are only around 200 - 300. nowadays there are too many scam & perompak.. its not safe to bring a lot of cash while COD. not worth the risk.. better safe than sorry.
nexona88
post Sep 26 2016, 03:15 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,801 posts

QUOTE(HJoker @ Sep 26 2016, 12:47 PM)
yea, but its kinda rude to do so cause it shows that u dont trust the buyer at all, in the past i have sold my iphone before and non of the buyers went to the extend of opening up the phone to check the internal parts of it so i think buying from merchants is all about trust. Thanks alot for the advice thou  smile.gif
Better to confirm it original or fake.. New or refurbished phone...
That's why needed to check carefully...
No use to be politely when meeting, later angry when u found out it fake or refurbished unit blush.gif
Millennium Falcon 888
post Sep 26 2016, 03:24 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

Hello TS, if you are worried about being cheated, might as well go for the units being sold at the Apple Authorized or Premium Resellers? At least when it comes to Machines, Mac City, Switch, et al, you can be assured that what you are buying are the real thing - unless they specify that it's a refurbished / display / clearance unit going at a super-low price! rclxms.gif

Furthermore, like what jzack said, if what that seller is offering you is only around $200-$300 cheaper than the Resellers, might as well get your iPhone 6S from them?

This post has been edited by Millennium Falcon 888: Sep 26 2016, 03:25 PM
abubin
post Sep 26 2016, 03:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

these kind of things are hard to check.

Just buy it from someone who can be trusted who provide 7 days personal warranty.
TSHJoker
post Sep 26 2016, 04:48 PM

47 posts

Hey, thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, will consider buying from machine because the diff is only 300bucks smile.gif
TSHJoker
post Sep 26 2016, 05:03 PM

47 posts

Hey, thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, will consider buying from machine because the diff is only 300bucks smile.gif
shyan90's
post Sep 26 2016, 05:41 PM

To Be Old and Wise You Must First be Young and Stupid
855 posts

For me...300 bucks really good deal...
Frankly said that since 2010..I nvr purchase a new phone anymore... tongue.gif
YoungMan
post Sep 26 2016, 06:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,391 posts

Then I would advice you to buy from Apple Store. Confirm 101% original.
nexona88
post Sep 26 2016, 08:09 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,801 posts

QUOTE(HJoker @ Sep 26 2016, 04:48 PM)
Oh only 300 difference..
Then can buy from machine lor...
Have peace of mind & guarantee original laugh.gif
acbc
post Sep 26 2016, 08:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,475 posts

Better u COD. And also ensure owner remove the iCloud lock via Find My Phone. Can bet u 99% of seller and buyer never check this.
attw
post Sep 26 2016, 08:15 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
32,264 posts

QUOTE(HJoker @ Sep 26 2016, 05:03 PM)
Yes, for 300 bucks difference better buy from machines... Can even swipe credit card and score points not to mention the peace of mind biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by attw: Sep 26 2016, 08:16 PM
evangelion
post Sep 26 2016, 09:59 PM

The Ancient Ones
1,024 posts

Unless 20% off, not worth the risk......

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.71    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:28 PM