Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

AVG defragment - how to view the progress%?

views

TSplumberly
post Sep 26 2016, 08:47 AM, updated 8y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,610 posts

I have been running AVG defragment program since yesterday 2 pm on a HD which I have never defragmented before (1 TB).

I know it will take hours but still would like to know the progress %.

How can I view the progress % in AVG defragment?

If after 12+ hours and the progress is less than 10%, I think I will stop the defragment.

Thanks.
TSplumberly
post Sep 26 2016, 02:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,610 posts

An update

Checked for infor on AVG defrag and looks like some users have similar running forever problem with this program. Decided to stop the program after 22 hrs of running.

Used Auslogic defrag program (free) and it reported only 3 files were defragmented. Maybe this is after running AVG defragment program. Ha.

Ran Auslogic program and it completed the defragment in about 6 mins. Better with indication of the progress.

netmatrix
post Sep 27 2016, 01:36 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

From Windows 7 onwards, you do not need to defrag disks already. You can still defrag with windows built in defrag. 3rd party drive defragger is almost not necessary already. If you own SSD drives, you should not and not need to defrag at all.
TSplumberly
post Sep 27 2016, 01:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,610 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Sep 27 2016, 01:36 PM)
From Windows 7 onwards, you do not need to defrag disks already. You can still defrag with windows built in defrag. 3rd party drive defragger is almost not necessary already. If you own SSD drives, you should not and not need to defrag at all.
Thanks.

Read that Win defragment lacks behind some of the 3rd party softwares.

Also read that defragment is no longer required. Mind explaining why? Software is now smarter and HHD faster that it will find and write in continuous blocks?

Checked with WD on how to do defragment on My Cloud and the reply is no need to do defragment on My Cloud.Thus no such WD software for defragment.

netmatrix
post Sep 27 2016, 03:02 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Sep 27 2016, 01:45 PM)
Thanks.

Read that Win defragment lacks behind some of the 3rd party softwares.

Also read that defragment is no longer required. Mind explaining why? Software is now smarter and HHD faster that it will find and write in continuous blocks?

Checked with WD on how to do defragment on My Cloud and the reply is no need to do defragment on My Cloud.Thus no such WD software for defragment.
Because OS & manufacturer have improved on way to handle data. You can read about them in many online tech resources. Things just changed for the better is most places. Once everyone goes SSD, defrag is useless.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0112sec    0.62    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:36 PM