Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

IELTS

views

TSbraindeath
post Sep 25 2016, 05:15 PM, updated 8y ago

On my way
521 posts

Hi guys, i'm not sure where to post this, so i thought because it is an examination thing this might be the correct place.

Wanna take the test to acquired working visa...

1. What to expect, if ok may any of you explain in details?
2. Level of test i need to expect, i'd done MUET before but of cos it is not the same thing, just wanna know in comparison the test level.

If any of you willing to share any details....

Tqvm....
BlurGuy1992
post Sep 25 2016, 09:36 PM

Getting Started
254 posts

I took the IELTS preparation class in british council.
then IELTS test in a hotel somewhere near british council and avenue k.
basically it was divided into four main section, I took the test few years ago..
Just sharing based on my old memory sweat.gif

1)listening
they will play certain conversation through speaker, and you have to write down base on what you heard. (something like fill in the blank)
bear in mind, its fast. if you miss it, dont stay stucked and panic, move on and focus on the audio.

2)reading
dont quite remember what they tested..... loll
but you can search online, there are plenty of guides! smile.gif

3)writing
ummm write essay... just write.... loll

4)speaking
1v1 conversation, will be recorded, and they will ask you random questions.
mostly its just like chatting...
but to get good marks, its better to initiate, be brave and speaks things you are interested in life..
then you will get good score

I thought I made a lot mistakes, but still I scored 7.0 overall...
the test i think is around RM640+ if not mistaken... (few years back)

all the best..

This post has been edited by BlurGuy1992: Sep 25 2016, 09:36 PM
Kcdw96
post Sep 25 2016, 09:59 PM

Enthusiast
708 posts

QUOTE(braindeath @ Sep 25 2016, 05:15 PM)
Hi guys, i'm not sure where to post this, so i thought because it is an examination thing this might be the correct place.

Wanna take the test to acquired working visa...

1. What to expect, if ok may any of you explain in details?
2. Level of test i need to expect, i'd done MUET before but of cos it is not the same thing, just wanna know in comparison the test level.

If any of you willing to share any details....

Tqvm....
i took ielts last dec and scored 8.5, my only study material was from an ielts course by University of Queensland, on edx.org

you may wanna check it out to get a rough idea what its like
Natalie D'Souza
post Sep 26 2016, 10:36 AM

1 posts

Hi Braindeath,

For working visa, I think you should take IELTS for General Training if not mistaken, anyhow please check with your employment agent as well.

MUET vs IELTS..hehe!

Totally different as IELTS is more to international level of English. There will be 4 components as MUET, Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. The speaking will be 1 to 1 with the Examiner.

I just took IELTS on August 27 at IDP Subang Jaya. Their customer service and way of conducting the test was good. At the same time I am happy with the result i got. I have attended their workshop too!

limeuu
post Sep 26 2016, 01:07 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

It depends on what kind of job....many jobs required academic ielts....eg teaching, healthcare....

However for migration, you can can use either....
TSbraindeath
post Sep 26 2016, 05:36 PM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(BlurGuy1992 @ Sep 25 2016, 09:36 PM)
I took the IELTS preparation class in british council.
then IELTS test in a hotel somewhere near british council and avenue k.
basically it was divided into four main section, I took the test few years ago..
Just sharing based on my old memory sweat.gif

1)listening
they will play certain conversation through speaker, and you have to write down base on what you heard. (something like fill in the blank)
bear in mind, its fast. if you miss it, dont stay stucked and panic, move on and focus on the audio.

2)reading
dont quite remember what they tested..... loll
but you can search online, there are plenty of guides! smile.gif

3)writing
ummm write essay... just write.... loll

4)speaking
1v1 conversation, will be recorded, and they will ask you random questions.
mostly its just like chatting...
but to get good marks, its better to initiate, be brave and speaks things you are interested in life..
then you will get good score

I thought I made a lot mistakes, but still I scored 7.0 overall...
the test i think is around RM640+ if not mistaken... (few years back)

all the best..
Google ielts test sample, and gone through it, basically i think the test is pretty basic, it just need practice but what got me worried is Writing.

Been long time since i write 'academic' essay, need to gone through data and all, sure i can write a 'relax' kinda essay sweat.gif

Fees last checked was around rm8++

QUOTE(Kcdw96 @ Sep 25 2016, 09:59 PM)
i took ielts last dec and scored 8.5, my only study material was from an ielts course by University of Queensland, on edx.org

you may wanna check it out to get a rough idea what its like
Went to the website, but not sure how to get the sample

Anyway, tqvm notworthy.gif

QUOTE(Natalie D'Souza @ Sep 26 2016, 10:36 AM)
Hi Braindeath,

For working visa, I think you should take IELTS for General Training if not mistaken, anyhow please check with your employment agent as well.

MUET vs IELTS..hehe!

Totally different as IELTS is more to international level of English. There will be 4 components as MUET, Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. The speaking will be  1 to 1 with the Examiner.

I just took IELTS on August 27 at IDP Subang Jaya. Their customer service and way of conducting the test was good. At the same time I am happy with the result i got. I have attended their workshop too!
laugh.gif thats why i said last "English" test i took was MUET, just wanna know how it is compare to MUET, in term of the english level they use

I stay in melaka, and i checked it will be in one of the shopping mall, i'll check when i get back

I don't use employment agency, i mean not yet, cause i just wanna prepare myself, get IELTS and visa afterwards, but i read i need a job offer to get the visa sweat.gif

TSbraindeath
post Sep 26 2016, 05:37 PM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Sep 26 2016, 01:07 PM)
It depends on what kind of job....many jobs required academic ielts....eg teaching, healthcare....

However for migration, you can can use either....
There's a difference? So i need to tell them which i'm gonna take when i book for the test?
limeuu
post Sep 26 2016, 07:04 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(braindeath @ Sep 26 2016, 05:37 PM)
There's a difference? So i need to tell them which i'm gonna take when i book for the test?
Yes, you indicate which test you want to take when you register, academic or general training...

the format is the same, but the type of questions will be different...

QUOTE(braindeath @ Sep 26 2016, 05:36 PM)

I don't use employment agency, i mean not yet, cause i just wanna prepare myself, get IELTS and visa afterwards, but i read i need a job offer to get the visa  sweat.gif
from that, i take it you have not much idea about this matter...what makes you think you can get a job, and what sort of visa are you thinking of?....there are many different types....
feynman
post Sep 27 2016, 07:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(braindeath @ Sep 26 2016, 05:36 PM)

laugh.gif  thats why i said last "English" test i took was MUET, just wanna know how it is compare to MUET, in term of the english level they use

I stay in melaka, and i checked it will be in one of the shopping mall, i'll check when i get back

I don't use employment agency, i mean not yet, cause i just wanna prepare myself, get IELTS and visa afterwards, but i read i need a job offer to get the visa  sweat.gif
English level? The test is meant to assess your level of English.......

It doesn't use simple or advance English. It's standard English. Either you use it well or you don't.
limeuu
post Sep 27 2016, 11:36 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

i am sounding like a broken record, but here goes....again...

ielts is a test of competency (or otherwise) of english....there is no pass or fail....just you usage competency....from band 1 to 9 for all components, and an overall band...

therefore the "level of english they use" is exactly YOUR level you use, in the test....and based on that level you used, they put you into bands...

the "pass or fail" band is up to the organisation requesting the test....and that of course depends on what you need to use english for....

universities may only need band 5 for entry into most courses, but want 7 for health science courses...to work as a pharmacist in oz, you need 7.5, but only 7.0 as doctors....

for migration, you get 10 points for 7.0/7.5 and 20 points for 8.0 and above....if you don't get at least 10 points, you cannot get enough points to qualify...majority needs the full 20 points to reach the cutoff points....

band 9 means expert user who "has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding"....that's the "level they use"...lol
TSbraindeath
post Sep 27 2016, 12:40 PM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Sep 26 2016, 07:04 PM)
Yes, you indicate which test you want to take when you register, academic or general training...

the format is the same, but the type of questions will be different...
from that, i take it you have not much idea about this matter...what makes you think you can get a job, and what sort of visa are you thinking of?....there are many different types....
Alright

Of cos i can't guarantee a jobs offer just because i have IELTS, it is just a step from lotsa step i need to take, after IELTS i need to convert my professional cert, i understand it is not easy as it sound, just trying to take the initiative...

QUOTE(feynman @ Sep 27 2016, 07:56 AM)
English level? The test is meant to assess your level of English.......

It doesn't use simple or advance English. It's standard English. Either you use it well or you don't.
As the answer indicate above they have academic or general test, thats what i meant

I am holding a professional cert, so i just wanna know whether they will assess me with 'technical' language test or normal english test

QUOTE(limeuu @ Sep 27 2016, 11:36 AM)
i am sounding like a broken record, but here goes....again...

ielts is a test of competency (or otherwise) of english....there is no pass or fail....just you usage competency....from band 1 to 9 for all components, and an overall band...

therefore the "level of english they use" is exactly YOUR level you use, in the test....and based on that level you used, they put you into bands...

the "pass or fail" band is up to the organisation requesting the test....and that of course depends on what you need to use english for....

universities may only need band 5 for entry into most courses, but want 7 for health science courses...to work as a pharmacist in oz, you need 7.5, but only 7.0 as doctors....

for migration, you get 10 points for 7.0/7.5 and 20 points for 8.0 and above....if you don't get at least 10 points, you cannot get enough points to qualify...majority needs the full 20 points to reach the cutoff points....

band 9 means expert user who "has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding"....that's the "level they use"...lol
Good answer

Tq...

limeuu
post Sep 27 2016, 01:11 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(braindeath @ Sep 27 2016, 12:40 PM)
Alright

Of cos i can't guarantee a jobs offer just because i have  IELTS, it is just a step from lotsa step i need to take, after IELTS i need to convert my professional cert, i understand it is not easy as it sound, just trying to take the initiative...

I am holding a professional cert, so i just wanna know whether they will assess me with 'technical' language test or normal english test

In that case, I wouldn't waste money sitting for ielts yet....get a firm job offer first....ielts is only needed after that, for professional registration, and visa application.... without a job offer, you can't proceed to processes that require ielts...

Note that there is a limit of 2 year validity for ielts...
TSbraindeath
post Sep 27 2016, 03:00 PM

On my way
521 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Sep 27 2016, 01:11 PM)
In that case, I wouldn't waste money sitting for ielts yet....get a firm job offer first....ielts is only needed after that, for professional registration, and visa application.... without a job offer, you can't proceed to processes that require ielts...

Note that there is a limit of 2 year validity for ielts...
I see, eventhough some of the company stated they will help with the documentation but i think i'll save them the time by preparing whatever i can

Anyway tq for advice

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:41 AM