Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

FIBRE OPTIC CABLE LAYING, Headache

views

quasi
post Apr 15 2018, 07:06 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(FourClover @ Apr 14 2018, 05:09 PM)
hi mztang52! whoa.. to literally knock on someone's door and ask for a connection. what if my whole taman is isolated by a kilometer from the highway, and another kilometer from the next covered area?  rclxub.gif i guess i'll have to look for another alternative..
It's all about line of sight. It all depends on whether you're willing to try.

I've sent internet 2km using ubnt stuff
joshhd
post Apr 15 2018, 09:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(FourClover @ Apr 14 2018, 05:09 PM)
hi mztang52! whoa.. to literally knock on someone's door and ask for a connection. what if my whole taman is isolated by a kilometer from the highway, and another kilometer from the next covered area?  rclxub.gif i guess i'll have to look for another alternative..
By contacting TM and tell them about this, they tell you they will "register interest" for you, will notify you once Unifi is available in your area, but you'll never know they'll just put your case aside and take it as if nothing happens once you hang up the phone. Malaysian customer services are like that one. File a complaint to MCMC, and they shall take your case more seriously.
https://aduan.skmm.gov.my/

After file a complaint, at least there's a record there. Although it may not get solved as soon as you expect, but at least there is someone you can trust to expedite your case.
System Error Message
post Apr 19 2018, 02:39 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

I've yet to see this in malaysia: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broa...nd-network.html

Its not that TM cannot lay fiber, the problem are costs and local council making it super expensive and slow. There was a TED talk with representative from one of the local telcos explaining the problem with internet in Malaysia, his points were simple:

-Lack of competition
- local councils charge a lot to lay cable and are very demanding (work ends up taking too long and costing too much too)
- international bandwidth

If the locals band together as shown in the link, it will be very easy for fiber optics to spread. If the ISP and cables were separated like in japan, that would help too.
soonwai
post Apr 19 2018, 03:24 AM

9,989 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Apr 19 2018, 02:39 AM)
I've yet to see this in malaysia: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broa...nd-network.html

Its not that TM cannot lay fiber, the problem are costs and local council making it super expensive and slow. There was a TED talk with representative from one of the local telcos explaining the problem with internet in Malaysia, his points were simple:

-Lack of competition
- local councils charge a lot to lay cable and are very demanding (work ends up taking too long and costing too much too)
- international bandwidth

If the locals band together as shown in the link, it will be very easy for fiber optics to spread. If the ISP and cables were separated like in japan, that would help too.
Not sure if this is the talk you are referring to. Nevertheless t's a good watch.

Bear in mind that this is from 2010.
System Error Message
post Apr 19 2018, 03:34 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Apr 19 2018, 03:24 AM)
Not sure if this is the talk you are referring to. Nevertheless t's a good watch.

Bear in mind that this is from 2010.
yup, this is the video. It may be from 2010 but is still relevant today. There may more choices of ISPs but the whole process of laying cable and expending is difficult for an ISP, that is why TIME only does tall buildings mainly as many condos already do their own fiber optic wiring so ISP only has to connect building to the street which makes it easy and cheap for ISP to provide a connection. The process itself just to get cable onto the street, or a backbone through an existing infrastructure can be costly and difficult because of the red tape like the local councils and any other organisation involved.
TSFourClover
post Apr 19 2018, 06:08 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 15 2018, 09:58 PM)
By contacting TM and tell them about this, they tell you they will "register interest" for you, will notify you once Unifi is available in your area, but you'll never know they'll just put your case aside and take it as if nothing happens once you hang up the phone. Malaysian customer services are like that one. File a complaint to MCMC, and they shall take your case more seriously.
https://aduan.skmm.gov.my/

After file a complaint, at least there's a record there. Although it may not get solved as soon as you expect, but at least there is someone you can trust to expedite your case.
Hi, josdhhd! As noted in Post 15 in this very same thread.. this whole thread and its core subject is dedicated to the chronology of events that you've proposed.
TSFourClover
post Sep 26 2018, 10:06 PM

22 posts

Just wanna give anyone who's following on this case an update, after what seemed like forever going back and forth, looking for TM representatives and making sure I got heard through 2 way communications with MCMC & TM, I finally received notification on the 24th September 2018 that I'll be getting coverage in my area! From collecting petitions, calling up and sending e-mails I'm glad that this has finally come to an end. 2 years of discussion and this small ulu taman of mine is finally getting high speed optic fibre coverage! Cheers everyone!
cheekeong123
post Sep 26 2018, 11:46 PM

21 posts

QUOTE(FourClover @ Sep 26 2018, 10:06 PM)
Just wanna give anyone who's following on this case an update, after what seemed like forever going back and forth, looking for TM representatives and making sure I got heard through 2 way communications with MCMC & TM, I finally received notification on the 24th September 2018 that I'll be getting coverage in my area! From collecting petitions, calling up and sending e-mails I'm glad that this has finally come to an end. 2 years of discussion and this small ulu taman of mine is finally getting high speed optic fibre coverage! Cheers everyone!
Congrats.
junclj
post Sep 27 2018, 08:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,297 posts

Just create a MCMC report, when TM close your report directly, you have to stay reopen the report. Just don't keep it closed.
westlife
post Sep 27 2018, 09:51 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,298 posts

QUOTE(mztang52 @ Sep 26 2016, 11:57 AM)
Aww.... the cost for one house is already more than RM 10000, the cost for all of the houses are too expensive. Maybe you can ask TM to cover your area and force them on CFM forum. If you cant wait for years, then you have to pay them the cost to install fiber optic cable.
yes. can pay TM rm20k to lay infra for one street.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.14    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:02 AM