Travel Hong Kong V5

views

sweet_pez
post Jul 19 2017, 02:10 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

Hello hello! Need help to check on itinerary - to give any opinion/ recommendation/ improvement to the itinerary.

We're going to stay in Sheung Wan, HK Island. Travelling on the 3rd week of September. Anyone been to the Sha Tin race course?

EDIT: Ok done!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by sweet_pez: Jul 19 2017, 02:54 PM
sweet_pez
post Jul 19 2017, 04:05 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

Halp. Anyone.
sweet_pez
post Jul 20 2017, 10:00 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(inachi @ Jul 19 2017, 10:36 PM)
Day 1- Ok
Day 2- Yep definitely can make it for Victoria Harbour. Because TBH u won't spend hours and hours in the night market there.. But are u going to see the Symphony Light Show? If yes have to be there at 7pm.
Day 3 - OK
Day 4- Cant comment. never been there.
Day 5- I supposed u bought from Klook? Coz meeting up at the station exit  tongue.gif I feel 3.30 is slightly late la..because u still have to walk in, wait for the train to come(the crowd is crazy,even though u get from Klook but still have to queue). That time from meeting up in exit until we reached up there, 30-45 mins are gone.. And after u visit Madame Tussads, Trick Eye, it might be already 6.30 or 7? And trust me, the crowd waiting to at Sky Terrace is scary. That time i have to go there at 5+ to secure a nice spot.. If not u basically can't see things except all the people's head. U better go there early, get a nice spot. Take some sunset photos and night view photos, around 8+pm faster leave The Peak.
Day 6-  Did u research if the cable car is back to operation? Because i know it was closed for maintenance when i was there 4 months ago. If not it will affect the time for ur day 6.

But overall i realise u spent a lot of days in Hong Kong Island. Never plan to visit more Kow loon? U can consider spend more time at Mong Kok, Yau Ma Tei, TST, Sham Shui Po. I love Sham Shui Po.
Thanks for the feedback wub.gif

Day 2
- Not sure actually, but not likely to see the symphony of light show. I think we'll prioritize the street/ market strolling and shopping on Day 2.
- Even so, thanks for the tip coz if not too tired and time permits, might consider it.
- How long is the show by the way? We can catch it from anywhere in the Victoria Harbour? Or does it have to be on the AquaLuna?

Day 5
- Yes! A lot of the tickets for attractions I'll get it from Klook ^___^ its cheaper and more convenient.
- I see, then I'll get the earlier session. The 2pm session should give us sufficient time I assume?

Yes it's back in operation. Otherwise I believe Klook can't sell it too biggrin.gif

For some reason I keep finding interesting places/ things to do in HK Island. I'm actually very keen to do hiking, and there's a highly recommended place - Dragon's Back at Shek O Country Park - but I don't see how we accommodate that. Initially was worse, there's even a 1-day to Macau loll! But told my friend I don't think we have time for it.

Due to the short time span of only 5 days (can't really count the first day haha), we're only mostly doing the main attractions. Mong Kok is mostly for the night market. What is nice in Sham Shui Po? I think we'll just quickly drop by the street market and only make stops at whatever attracts our attention.

Friend is going to give birth to twins so I'm also looking for cute/ unique baby clothes that I can buy in HKG. Hopefully there will be interesting items in the market. Is the style similar to Bangkok or other markets where you can haggle 50% off the selling price?

Is there any recommendation for Day 6? We will have to store our luggage in the airport; does HKG airport have coin lockers like Japan? Or they only have counters to keep luggage? If yes, any idea estimated how much it costs?

sweet_pez
post Jul 20 2017, 10:01 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(ahlin @ Jul 19 2017, 06:51 PM)
I never been to Sha Tin racecourse but went Happy Valley Racecourse before.
I think its quite similar. I can't make it to Happy Valley as they only race on Wednesday nights.

The racecourse - you buy tickets/ bet and then can get in to the pit to see the race?
sweet_pez
post Jul 20 2017, 10:19 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(ahlin @ Jul 20 2017, 10:16 AM)
Ya it's quite similar. You just need to tap your Octopus card at the entrance with minimum fee then you can access to race course already. Not sure about bet because never done before. Haha.
I see. Rather than placing bet, I just wanna enter the pit to watch the race rclxm9.gif but I thought must bet only can enter. Hahahaha so if no need then will just pay the entrance fee and go in <3 Thanks!!
sweet_pez
post Jul 21 2017, 03:26 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Jul 21 2017, 02:46 PM)
I can pinjam you my HKJC account if you want to bet....if win we split 50-50....hahaha.
You're in Japan AND Hong Kong! Where else?! laugh.gif
sweet_pez
post Jul 21 2017, 06:04 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Jul 21 2017, 03:33 PM)
Hahaha......I left JP for HK already.
Meaning you've settled in HKG now? Wahhhh. The period I'm travelling (around 3rd week of Sept) - will it be very hot? I know its summer with some chance of rain. Just want to be mentally prepared its not so hot that I'll melt under the sun hahahaha
sweet_pez
post Jul 26 2017, 09:56 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Jul 24 2017, 09:00 AM)
I am not too sure as I am not here long. But I think it will be hot but not as hot as Japan though. And it has been raining quite often and in fact there was a typhoon yesterday as well
Dang. Hope the weather will improve by September. Thanks!!!
sweet_pez
post Aug 9 2017, 12:20 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(chinti @ Aug 9 2017, 10:46 AM)
next month tho
Same leh, I'm also going next month. Which week/ day you'll be there?

QUOTE(chinti @ Aug 9 2017, 10:59 AM)
eh u both migrate from JP to HK thread ah? lol biggrin.gif
HAHAHAHA noooooo my heart always in Japan. Somehow HKG just happened, although I'm not really keen. Especially with the Influenza spreading now... thinking twice about it.
sweet_pez
post Aug 9 2017, 12:24 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(chinti @ Aug 9 2017, 12:21 PM)
15th~17th. going for foods trip and disneyland only. im also thinking hard especially since i havent book my airbnb yet. the news quite scary wit 300 ppl dead in two months
I'm flying the week after you're back. Hmmm. I booked my hotel but it can be cancelled. Flight costs me RM500+ but better safe than sorry. AAARGH SUCH A DILEMMA ohmy.gif what a timing.
sweet_pez
post Aug 10 2017, 09:24 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Aug 9 2017, 01:59 PM)
Dont worry too much lah.....just practice precautions. Remember to buy insurance. smile.gif GP here will cost you about HKD300
Amitabha, hope everything is fine and the situation in HKG improves.
sweet_pez
post Aug 10 2017, 06:13 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Aug 10 2017, 09:34 AM)
Weather here really sucks though. Raining and if not damn hot...
That's what I saw on the weather forecast! Hopefully end Sept it'll improve, otherwise it's gonna be a very damp holiday hahaha.
sweet_pez
post Aug 28 2017, 09:23 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(Oriental @ Aug 27 2017, 08:54 PM)
Yes going for holiday. What do you mean things are not back in operation?
Also how is the flu situation there? Anyone knows?
There was a typhoon and alot of the operations such as transport were suspended. Can't possibly drive a taxi/ bus through that crazy disaster.

Right now flu is the least of the concern.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/20...phoon-recovery/

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/dailywx/wxwarntoday.htm
http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_gis_e.htm

sweet_pez
post Aug 28 2017, 10:21 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(Oriental @ Aug 28 2017, 09:33 AM)
Thanks sweet_pez. I thought that Macau is the one badly affected. Didn't know that transportation in HK was affected too?
Read the STAR article I shared. It says Hong Kong AND Macau. Suggest you monitor the situation daily and then see how. Even if the typhoon settled by next week, there's a lot of 'restoration' work needed to be done; shops/ attractions may not be open and price could easily be high due to shortage of resources for a period of time.

Even though my trip is towards end of Sept, I'm having alot of doubts.
sweet_pez
post Aug 28 2017, 05:28 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(imran85 @ Aug 28 2017, 04:37 PM)
Anyone here have any experience arriving at 11.40 pm and with big group getting transport? My family's flight is expected to arrive at 11.40 and need to get transport for (around 12 of them) to town. Any tips?
Taxi?? If you're staying in a hotel, check if they include transfer. I think that's the best way.
sweet_pez
post Aug 29 2017, 09:45 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Aug 28 2017, 05:28 PM)
There was another typhoon with cat 8 yesterday. First time in dont know how many years two big typhoon hit HK. Things not that bad in HK as most tourist spot are back to normal, though there are clean up of falling branches that are still ongoing. Most places impacted are residential place that are near coastal area rather than tourist spot.
Serious sacwoc ? Friend was screaming to go for dimsum, and I'm wondering if all the eateries and attractions are operating as usual.
sweet_pez
post Aug 29 2017, 11:34 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Aug 29 2017, 09:57 AM)
AFAIK its open. When it was Cat 10 last week, I also went out yum cha. smile.gif
Aiyoyo that's dangerous. I'd rather stay in and enjoy a cup of coffee, or catch some TVB drama hahahaha.
Which part of HKG do you stay?

So Tim Ho Wan will be open ya?! And Tai Cheong egg tart also tak tutup kan. Can't wait to try biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Oriental @ Aug 29 2017, 11:04 AM)
From what I have read elsewhere, seems like it's back to normal in HK. Maybe only some areas still cleaning up tree branches etc, but those aren't in the usual tourist spots.
That's really... fast. Talk about efficiency.
sweet_pez
post Aug 29 2017, 12:16 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Aug 29 2017, 11:58 AM)
I am staying in Kowloon and the shop is just next door. Just a short walk across the street. In HKG nearly every estate have their own small shopping community which tourist seldom goes to.
Sounds good. Any recommendation for makan/ attraction that's say, a little less touristy but nice to visit?
sweet_pez
post Aug 29 2017, 02:44 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Aug 29 2017, 01:50 PM)
You can try a restaurant call Paradise Dynasty. I like their Sioa Long Pao. They have a branch in Tokyo as well which I think its very nice. However some of my colleague says its so-so only. So really depends on person I guess. If not mistaken its a Singapore company.
Besides that cannot really recommend as I am not a foodie and I mostly eat salad. smile.gif
Nice, thanks!
Sa- salad. Why so healthy #areyouhooman #howdidyoulive

QUOTE(Oriental @ Aug 29 2017, 01:52 PM)
I am going this weekend, can't wait to eat and shop! I will be staying in Kowloon too, looking forward to the egg tarts and polo bun  biggrin.gif
Hope all is up and well! Share your experience and recommendation (if any) when you're back!
sweet_pez
post Aug 29 2017, 04:01 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(sacwoc @ Aug 29 2017, 03:04 PM)
At my age, you have to eat to stay healthy. I still need to get use to the amount of oily but delicious food here!
But only salad may lack nutrients that you can derive from other food hmm.gif not saying its bad, but best to have a good mix of vege, meat, fruits, legumes etc in your diet intake.

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0869sec    0.25    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:50 AM