52 Pages « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Hong Kong V5

views

Gene_89
post Sep 17 2017, 12:13 AM

Getting Started
103 posts

QUOTE(Contestant @ Sep 16 2017, 09:32 PM)
Ya, they speak loudly and are grumpy but no hard feelings, it is part of their DNA.
Yea no hard feeling. But yesterday breakfast my friend complaint to the boss as the waiter bang the spoon on the table cuz they didn't provide enough spoon. I said no need complaint lah as this is their land and we cannot do anything. HK people is like that lor. But actually some of them were good oso lah. During HK, three of us will usually said 'mou yi si' or 'em goi sai' to them. So far only met 2 nice aunty~ hehe....
Gene_89
post Sep 17 2017, 12:17 AM

Getting Started
103 posts

QUOTE(hihihehe @ Sep 16 2017, 10:32 PM)
The weather there was very hot and dry. No wind at all. Just came back few days ago. Have to shower 3tjmes a day

So far the waiter or waitress nvr rude on me. They even can joke together. Only those convinient shops are black face
Ya wor very hot. Even on night time oso, i remember one of the night the hot wind blows. z.z My skin oso tanned d. But i got went to cheung chau lah. Quite nice the place. I like it. Recommended.

Waiter or waitress some ok lah. Some grumpy and talk loudly. Have to know their behavior.

This post has been edited by Gene_89: Sep 17 2017, 12:28 AM
sweet_pez
post Sep 17 2017, 12:56 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(Gene_89 @ Sep 16 2017, 07:26 PM)
Just came back from HK yesterday. Overall trip was ok and yes it was freaking hot (summer). Raining on and off. The food over there were nice. Only one of the so call cafe the food sucks. I noticed one thing, all the waiter and waitress their face were black. So you hv to order quickly and calm down when they are rude to you. Is just their culture. Might be going there again next time probably on the month between Dec-Feb as the weather will be cold.
QUOTE(hihihehe @ Sep 16 2017, 10:32 PM)
The weather there was very hot and dry. No wind at all. Just came back few days ago. Have to shower 3tjmes a day

So far the waiter or waitress nvr rude on me. They even can joke together. Only those convinient shops are black face
Ugh hot huh... I just came back from Japan and it was hot. Flying to HK mid next week and it's still hot ah ohmy.gif ohmaigawd. It's okay to wear sleeveless and short pants right? Any clothing restrictions when you visit temple and such? Gotta get an umbrella there if it rains often sigh.

Reason I ask about clothing is coz generally in Japan, it's "frowned" upon when you show skin on your shoulders/ chest (the locals dress modestly and cover their shoulders and chest). No doubt they wouldn't say anything and understand when tourists dress that way, not knowing the local culture.

Black faced waiters and waitress in HK hahaha I think I can understand. It's very hot, crowded, packed, pay is little etc and at the same time they have to serve customers. My first trip there soon, so a little anxious not knowing what to expect except for possible rude behaviour (as I was told), hot weather, crowds and fast paced walking.
Gene_89
post Sep 17 2017, 09:14 PM

Getting Started
103 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Sep 17 2017, 12:56 PM)
Ugh hot huh... I just came back from Japan and it was hot. Flying to HK mid next week and it's still hot ah ohmy.gif ohmaigawd. It's okay to wear sleeveless and short pants right? Any clothing restrictions when you visit temple and such? Gotta get an umbrella there if it rains often sigh.

Reason I ask about clothing is coz generally in Japan, it's "frowned" upon when you show skin on your shoulders/ chest (the locals dress modestly and cover their shoulders and chest). No doubt they wouldn't say anything and understand when tourists dress that way, not knowing the local culture.

Black faced waiters and waitress in HK hahaha I think I can understand. It's very hot, crowded, packed, pay is little etc and at the same time they have to serve customers. My first trip there soon, so a little anxious not knowing what to expect except for possible rude behaviour (as I was told), hot weather, crowds and fast paced walking.
If not mistaken it is still hot there. During my trip, one of the day the temperature sky up to 35 degree. ohmy.gif blush.gif My tanned skin got layer liao, but because i went to cheung chau lah. Beach mah~ (Nice place btw)

Oh how was Japan summer? Like Malaysia kah? I just went to Hokkaido on May. That time going summer soon as the weather was mid cold and a bit hot. Wear modestly? 2 years ago during Japan's spring mostly I will wore sweater lah because it was still very cold.

As for clothing in HK there won't be any restrictions. Because it is summer, HK guys over there all wear t-shirt, shorts and sneakers. As for girls, they wear blouse, t-shirt, shorts and sneakers as well. If you feel really hot just go to the nearest shopping mall.

And for the restaurants, just bear with the waiter and waitress attitude/behavior. Not same like Japanese very polite. I went to Australian Dairy Company char chan teng, an uncle shout right behind me when he served tea to my friend. You just get all your orders 1st then it shouldn't be any problem. Just enjoy the food as you go for the food only.

Enjoy your trip.

sweet_pez
post Sep 18 2017, 09:33 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(Gene_89 @ Sep 17 2017, 09:14 PM)
If not mistaken it is still hot there. During my trip, one of the day the temperature sky up to 35 degree. ohmy.gif blush.gif My tanned skin got layer liao, but because i went to cheung chau lah. Beach mah~ (Nice place btw) 

Oh how was Japan summer? Like Malaysia kah? I just went to Hokkaido on May. That time going summer soon as the weather was mid cold and a bit hot. Wear modestly? 2 years ago during Japan's spring mostly I will wore sweater lah because it was still very cold. 

As for clothing in HK there won't be any restrictions. Because it is summer, HK guys over there all wear t-shirt, shorts and sneakers. As for girls, they wear blouse, t-shirt, shorts and sneakers as well. If you feel really hot just go to the nearest shopping mall. 

And for the restaurants, just bear with the waiter and waitress attitude/behavior. Not same like Japanese very polite. I went to Australian Dairy Company char chan teng, an uncle shout right behind me when he served tea to my friend. You just get all your orders 1st then it shouldn't be any problem. Just enjoy the food as you go for the food only.

Enjoy your trip.
Beach ahhh no wonder laugh.gif was thinking of hiking but I doubt we'll have time for it.

Japan summer is somewhat similar to Malaysia but less humid; it feels drier. Hokkaido is awesome to visit any season hahahaha and since it's cold all year round - the summer is cool. So nice!

Thanks for your sharing. Unfortunately my friend couldn't speak Cantonese or read Chinese, so I'll have to be the translator. I don't wanna get shouted at T___T dang it.
Gene_89
post Sep 19 2017, 10:45 PM

Getting Started
103 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Sep 18 2017, 09:33 AM)
Beach ahhh no wonder laugh.gif was thinking of hiking but I doubt we'll have time for it.

Japan summer is somewhat similar to Malaysia but less humid; it feels drier. Hokkaido is awesome to visit any season hahahaha and since it's cold all year round - the summer is cool. So nice!

Thanks for your sharing. Unfortunately my friend couldn't speak Cantonese or read Chinese, so I'll have to be the translator. I don't wanna get shouted at T___T dang it.
Haha.. Cantonese. This is the funniest part in my HK trip. HK people do really know we are from other country (either Malaysia/Singapore) as our Cantonese really different with them in terms of slang. Even some of the Chinese word, my 2 other friend do not know how to read as I'm banana also. I only know how to speak Cantonese. I'm sure when you ask for something in Cantonese, HK people will react 'Hah?' Coz I remember my friend ask for fried sotong. The HK girl just 'Hah?'

But I dunno lah, maybe your Cantonese pro den me. Share your experience ya when you back from HK. Looking forward for it. Hehe~
MR_alien
post Sep 20 2017, 09:37 AM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,300 posts

QUOTE(Gene_89 @ Sep 19 2017, 10:45 PM)
Haha.. Cantonese. This is the funniest part in my HK trip. HK people do really know we are from other country (either Malaysia/Singapore) as our Cantonese really different with them in terms of slang. Even some of the Chinese word, my 2 other friend do not know how to read as I'm banana also. I only know how to speak Cantonese. I'm sure when you ask for something in Cantonese, HK people will react 'Hah?' Coz I remember my friend ask for fried sotong. The HK girl just 'Hah?' 

But I dunno lah, maybe your Cantonese pro den me. Share your experience ya when you back from HK. Looking forward for it. Hehe~
no need slang, even the word KL ppl use are different
HK backside = hao min
KL backside = bin pei(WTF) laugh.gif
hihihehe
post Sep 20 2017, 09:53 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,451 posts

i am half banana too. can only talk and listen but so far no issue for me to communicate with them.

i guess i watched too much TVB and roughly know the words they usually use.

btw, they mostly use mandarin when serving customers rather than cantonese now.
sweet_pez
post Sep 20 2017, 03:56 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

Singaporeans speak Cantonese ke ohmy.gif unless they are Malaysians who have migrated there... otherwise they communicate mostly in Mandarin right?!

Now I'm curious, how do they order "fried sotong" in HKG?

Yeah Cantonese not easy to read. I can read some Mandarin but when it's written in Cantonese, my reading speed is x10 slower and sometimes cannot comprehend. My Mandarin ain't good so I prefer English/ Canto.

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Sep 20 2017, 09:37 AM)
no need slang, even the word KL ppl use are different
HK backside = hao min
KL backside = bin pei(WTF) laugh.gif
Eh wait, "hao bin/ min" is back woh... and "bin pei" means the 'side' isn't it?

I just know cannot say "tapao" hahahahaha because in HK tapao means 'wrapping a dead body' and they often laugh when Malaysians say this.

QUOTE(hihihehe @ Sep 20 2017, 09:53 AM)
i am half banana too. can only talk and listen but so far no issue for me to communicate with them.

i guess i watched too much TVB and roughly know the words they usually use.

btw, they mostly use mandarin when serving customers rather than cantonese now.
Ahhh and so I heard that they speak Mandarin more now. It's coz there's a lot of Chinese tourists.

MR_alien
post Sep 20 2017, 03:58 PM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,300 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Sep 20 2017, 03:56 PM)

Eh wait, "hao bin/ min" is back woh... and "bin pei" means the 'side' isn't it?

I just know cannot say "tapao" hahahahaha because in HK tapao means 'wrapping a dead body' and they often laugh when Malaysians say this.
HK cantonese = hao min
KL cantonese manyak pattern = bin pei, lan mei laugh.gif
sweet_pez
post Sep 20 2017, 04:15 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Sep 20 2017, 03:58 PM)
HK cantonese = hao min
KL cantonese manyak pattern = bin pei, lan mei laugh.gif
Man, I'll have more fun speaking Japanese in Japan sweat.gif
Gene_89
post Sep 21 2017, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
103 posts

Yup, mostly when HK people saw us, they will speak Mandarin 1st. Then we said we are Malaysian and know Canto only they started talking Cantonese to us. And yes, there were a lot of Mainland Chinese tourist. Mostly very rough too.

I remember i went to 7 eleven i wanna buy tissue coz hv minor flu. I said I wan 'face handkerchief' something like that in Canto. The girl just said what you want again with shock expression. Ended i just said tissue. Dun worry just say English jek if u dunno hw to use Canto.

And their Mcd pork very nice too. Miss it so much.
Gene_89
post Sep 24 2017, 12:29 PM

Getting Started
103 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Sep 20 2017, 04:15 PM)
Man, I'll have more fun speaking Japanese in Japan sweat.gif
Oh you can speak Japanese? Learn frm online kah? Yeah it is fun speaking Japanese to them. hehe...
hihihehe
post Sep 24 2017, 02:40 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,451 posts

QUOTE(Gene_89 @ Sep 21 2017, 01:13 PM)
Yup, mostly when HK people saw us, they will speak Mandarin 1st. Then we said we are Malaysian and know Canto only they started talking Cantonese to us. And yes, there were a lot of Mainland Chinese tourist. Mostly very rough too.

I remember i went to 7 eleven i wanna buy tissue coz hv minor flu. I said I wan 'face handkerchief' something like that in Canto. The girl just said what you want again with shock expression. Ended i just said tissue. Dun worry just say English jek if u dunno hw to use Canto.

There is no pork burger available now except the egg muffin.
Only Angus beef available for now
sweet_pez
post Sep 27 2017, 10:04 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(Gene_89 @ Sep 21 2017, 01:13 PM)

BACK! It's super hot in HK. By super it's literally burning. Felt like i burn more than put on weight, despite eating no less.

You're right on the language, it's 50-50. Half of the people I encountered spoke Mandarin with me and another half spoke Cantonese straight away. Had 2 interesting encounters.

Day 1 : Friend and I sat down in Kam Wah (love their polo bun!) and a lady sat to "dap toi". I ordered the french toast and was a little awkward with it coz dunno it's sweet or needed sugar. The lady seemed to know and pointed at the bottle of syrup. She asked me to pour them on the toast and to smear the butter (on top of the toast). Did exactly it and tasted so awesome. Since then we started having some small talk and then the chat became a pretty lengthy one with asking for recommendations, talking about locals, the typhoon etc.

It's very interesting to have a decent conversation with locals. While I have had some fair share of rude encounter (when asking for directions) or bargaining, chatting with this lady offset the negative experience

Day 4 : Went to Sha Tin Racecourse! It was amazing. Signed up for a "English speaking tour" - there are 2 guides who will bring you around the racecourse and explain to you how to bet. We opted for English-speaking tour coz my friend is a banana, but can understand Cantonese (although cannot speak). So the 2 young guide (a lady and a guy) brought us around (only me and friend, no one else signed up for it hahaha).

While they spoke well, I can see a little struggle with some part of the explanation, and generally I know that they will explain/ talk more if it's in Cantonese. So ended up started speaking Cantonese to them and they were surprised, but happy to comply. It was mix English and Cantonese tour and the lady expressed divine happiness to be able to conduct the "tour" in Cantonese laugh.gif had a good session and we spoke about Malaysia/ KL too.

I bumped into some local stars filming for a show (not drama) - it was Derek Wong with 3 other co-stars (they're not very popular stars). But on 3rd day, think you can say I hit jackpot by bumping into famous star Shek Sau at Mak's Noodle in Wellington Street. I was having late lunch when he walked in with his wife and sat at the back. Waited for him outside the restaurant to take a photo ^____^

QUOTE(Gene_89 @ Sep 24 2017, 12:29 PM)
Oh you can speak Japanese? Learn frm online kah? Yeah it is fun speaking Japanese to them. hehe...
A little biggrin.gif very basic ones. I'm learning in a Japanese language institute, but it's part of the fun. While it's hard to strike a lengthy conversation or talk more, I can make do with some basic communication such as asking for directions, food etc. It's funny when the ojiisan and obaasan still try to talk more even though they know you won't be able to understand more than basic stuffs hahaha. It's all part of learning, and the locals are very courteous - a flip side to HK.

QUOTE(hihihehe @ Sep 24 2017, 02:40 PM)
There is no pork burger available now except the egg muffin.
Only Angus beef available for now
Yes no pork burger now except the brekkie ones. Just because it's HK, it's not very common to see pork; it's more common in Japan.

This post has been edited by sweet_pez: Sep 27 2017, 10:05 AM
Angelpoli
post Sep 29 2017, 12:48 AM

Enthusiast
993 posts

Any recommended place for stay for 4 people from 31st to 5th?
inachi
post Sep 29 2017, 06:41 AM

i don troll
1,097 posts

QUOTE(Angelpoli @ Sep 29 2017, 12:48 AM)
whats ur budget?

This post has been edited by inachi: Sep 29 2017, 06:42 AM
sweet_pez
post Sep 29 2017, 12:59 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(Angelpoli @ Sep 29 2017, 12:48 AM)
All 4 don't have to stay together right?

If you're okay with Hotel and split into 2 pairs, I'll recommend JJ Hotel. Stayed there, and it was comfortable. 5min walk to MTR and 1-2min away from the bus stop (literally 100-200m only). Some days I took the bus, and the other times by train. It's very convenient regardless of whatever mode of transport you choose. Best of all, the Hotel is located on the main street so it wasn't hard to find and I don't feel unsafe when I'm back late. There's a 24-hours Yoshinoya next to it and a 7-11 about 100-200m away. The room was spacious, bed comfortable. Nothing much to complain about.

JJ Hotel - Booking.com

This post has been edited by sweet_pez: Sep 29 2017, 01:00 PM
Angelpoli
post Sep 29 2017, 09:46 PM

Enthusiast
993 posts

QUOTE(inachi @ Sep 29 2017, 06:41 AM)
whats ur budget?
QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Sep 29 2017, 12:59 PM)
All 4 don't have to stay together right?

If you're okay with Hotel and split into 2 pairs, I'll recommend JJ Hotel. Stayed there, and it was comfortable. 5min walk to MTR and 1-2min away from the bus stop (literally 100-200m only). Some days I took the bus, and the other times by train. It's very convenient regardless of whatever mode of transport you choose. Best of all, the Hotel is located on the main street so it wasn't hard to find and I don't feel unsafe when I'm back late. There's a 24-hours Yoshinoya next to it and a 7-11 about 100-200m away. The room was spacious, bed comfortable. Nothing much to complain about.

JJ Hotel - Booking.com
Thanks for the suggestion. JJ hotel is abit out of budget.
It's quite expensive. Expecting max rm130 per pax. Haha.
Gene_89
post Oct 2 2017, 12:09 AM

Getting Started
103 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Sep 27 2017, 10:04 AM)
BACK! It's super hot in HK. By super it's literally burning. Felt like i burn more than put on weight, despite eating no less.

You're right on the language, it's 50-50. Half of the people I encountered spoke Mandarin with me and another half spoke Cantonese straight away. Had 2 interesting encounters.

Day 1 : Friend and I sat down in Kam Wah (love their polo bun!) and a lady sat to "dap toi". I ordered the french toast and was a little awkward with it coz dunno it's sweet or needed sugar. The lady seemed to know and pointed at the bottle of syrup. She asked me to pour them on the toast and to smear the butter (on top of the toast). Did exactly it and tasted so awesome. Since then we started having some small talk and then the chat became a pretty lengthy one with asking for recommendations, talking about locals, the typhoon etc.

It's very interesting to have a decent conversation with locals. While I have had some fair share of rude encounter (when asking for directions) or bargaining, chatting with this lady offset the negative experience

Day 4 : Went to Sha Tin Racecourse! It was amazing. Signed up for a "English speaking tour" - there are 2 guides who will bring you around the racecourse and explain to you how to bet. We opted for English-speaking tour coz my friend is a banana, but can understand Cantonese (although cannot speak). So the 2 young guide (a lady and a guy) brought us around (only me and friend, no one else signed up for it hahaha).

While they spoke well, I can see a little struggle with some part of the explanation, and generally I know that they will explain/ talk more if it's in Cantonese. So ended up started speaking Cantonese to them and they were surprised, but happy to comply. It was mix English and Cantonese tour and the lady expressed divine happiness to be able to conduct the "tour" in Cantonese laugh.gif had a good session and we spoke about Malaysia/ KL too.

I bumped into some local stars filming for a show (not drama) - it was Derek Wong with 3 other co-stars (they're not very popular stars). But on 3rd day, think you can say I hit jackpot by bumping into famous star Shek Sau at Mak's Noodle in Wellington Street. I was having late lunch when he walked in with his wife and sat at the back. Waited for him outside the restaurant to take a photo ^____^
A little biggrin.gif very basic ones. I'm learning in a Japanese language institute, but it's part of the fun. While it's hard to strike a lengthy conversation or talk more, I can make do with some basic communication such as asking for directions, food etc. It's funny when the ojiisan and obaasan still try to talk more even though they know you won't be able to understand more than basic stuffs hahaha. It's all part of learning, and the locals are very courteous - a flip side to HK.
Yes no pork burger now except the brekkie ones. Just because it's HK, it's not very common to see pork; it's more common in Japan.
haha super hot... 35 degree celcius leh the highest i encounter. Yea most of the time I'm sweating at Hong Kong.... So goodnya bump into artist. We didn't get to see them. sad.gif Some of the HK people good de. I manage to get one of the HK aunty Wechat cuz she was very friendly serving towards us when we had our BBQ dinner at Yuen Long. Consequently it was a great experience lah. Next time maybe I'll go between Dec-Feb. But that time will be CNY season.

Btw, may i know which hotel/guesthouse u book? Cuz 3 of us guys I think we booked on a wrong guesthouse. Full of Indians and super tiny the room. We stay in Chungking Mansion. But in the end, survive also lah. Haiz~ gotta book more expensive hotel/guesthouse next time.

52 Pages « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0229sec    0.48    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:37 PM