COOLPINK
post Nov 21 2019, 04:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Nov 21 2019, 10:42 AM)
december isn't korea's coldest time
january and february is
and i'm going mid of february laugh.gif  puke.gif
from the forecast the winter this season for january and feb is not too cold.
but its too early to tell so hope for the best.
MR_alien
post Nov 21 2019, 05:02 PM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,298 posts

QUOTE(COOLPINK @ Nov 21 2019, 04:51 PM)
i don't trust forecast(i trust history statistics instead)
i only need to know it's cold..like negative celsius cold
i don't trust forecast because 3 years ago in tokyo, forecast say around 10c
when i reach there, i was wondering why is it so cold, turns out it's 3c up until the 2nd last day...means i only enjoyed 1 day of the temperature that is forecasted
the other days, i was freezing and shivering(under prepared for other parts of body other than the body itself)

This post has been edited by MR_alien: Nov 21 2019, 05:04 PM
COOLPINK
post Nov 21 2019, 05:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Nov 21 2019, 05:02 PM)
i don't trust forecast(i trust history statistics instead)
i only need to know it's cold..like negative celsius cold
i don't trust forecast because 3 years ago in tokyo, forecast say around 10c
when i reach there, i was wondering why is it so cold, turns out it's 3c up until the 2nd last day...means i only enjoyed 1 day of the temperature that is forecasted
the other days, i was freezing and shivering(under prepared for other parts of body other than the body itself)
that why they call it forecast. laugh.gif
but for 1-3 days in advance its dang accurate.

thats why during winter season dun play play, always pack proper winter gear whether it is freezing or not.
but for the first time experiencing winter many people will be shock how fast the temperature drops after the sun goes down. right? right? brows.gif
MR_alien
post Nov 21 2019, 05:19 PM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,298 posts

QUOTE(COOLPINK @ Nov 21 2019, 05:09 PM)
that why they call it forecast.  laugh.gif
but for 1-3 days in advance its dang accurate.

thats why during winter season dun play play, always pack proper winter gear whether it is freezing or not.
but for the first time experiencing winter many people will be shock how fast the temperature drops after the sun goes down. right? right? brows.gif
in my case it isn't, i checked the day before departure...forecast for the few days is 10c+
turns out it's not

and i don't need to wait until sun goes down, morning 8AM also 3c when i was in tokyo rclxub.gif
or i just have no luck with temperature
my trip to hanoi also same
suddenly 1 day, morning still fine...a little warm....went into a shop for lunch, came out it's 15c rclxub.gif
the temperature drop so drastically within that 45 minutes span....no jacket, no windbreaker to protect at all
that temperature lasted 3 days mega_shok.gif
Icehart
post Nov 21 2019, 09:20 PM

All Stars
14,304 posts

QUOTE(ivzh @ Nov 21 2019, 04:19 PM)
Hi guys, I m planning for family trip to korea during next year CNY (28/1 – till 4/2/), will travel with my 2 kids (6 years old / 4 years old) and my mother (69 years old), need some suggestion here.
-Mainly to experience winter / snow which they never encounter before
-prefer flexibility while travel with children / elderly, thus unlikely to join trip from klook/kkday
-Night/evening activity depend on the children stamina

Tentative itinerary
28/1 – midnight flight via MAS – reach seoul the next morning
29/1 (wed) – Early Check in Airbnb near Seoul station, Short rest / lunch nearby - Namsan – Seoul tower
Recommend to take the cable car ? or take the bus to seoul tower? Read that to reach the cable car station require quite some walk too.
30/1 (thurs)- Hanbok Rental – should start in Gyeongbok palace or Bukchon Hanok Village?
31/1 (Fri)- No plan yet – seoul city tour – any recommend which part of city worth to visit, does not fancy to visit any themepark this time, and not a shopping person
1/2 (Sat)– Nami island & garden of morning calm – most likely DIY tour – via ITX to gapyong – then with taxi
2/2 (Sun)– Overnight with Vivaldi park – hw many hour recommend in snowyland ?
3/2 (Mon)-  Leaving Vivaldi park @ 1pm – going back to seoul – Free and easy / shopping
4/2 – Flight @ 11am

lastly, my mother has some special diet .. she does not consume poultry / beef.. usually restaurant that sell ginseng chicken / friend chicken etc, does they have alternative for eg seafood or others?
Hope I can help here.

Usually, if you have more than 3 pax, just take a taxi. The cost is sometimes cheaper than taking the bus. Use Kakao Taxi to get a fare estimate. Most taxi drivers hardly can speak English so you must know how to drop a pin or show pictures to the taxi driver the attraction you're going.

29/1- N Seoul Tower can take 3-4 hours if you're the kind that likes to enjoy the scenery.

30/1 - Start in GyueongBok Palace. Then take bus/taxi to Bukchon Hanok Village. Unless you don't mind walking 25 minutes.

31/1 - Hanuel Park was my favorite place in Seoul. So I suggest this but it's up to you. I'm not sure if the ride up is available during winter.

1/2 - The train from ITX to GapYeong be careful. Buy your tickets from the counter (not the machine). If you buy the wrong ticket and board the ITX train, you'll be fined 2,600 Won. Look for express train.

ivzh
post Nov 21 2019, 11:08 PM

On my way
665 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

thanks for the the suggestion and tips

hope my 2 kids and my mother can tahan the korea winter ... estimated temperature this time? subzero degree?

For the nami island day trip, my previous experience tell me that very unlikely for us to able to wait till the nighttime illuminationin for garden of morning calm especially during a winter time bangwall.gif doh.gif and not aware of the far distance of nami island to garden of morning calm.. Winter consider high or low seaon? Q for Bus will be long? on time? seem may need to spend more $$ to charter a private car then cry.gif

frm Gyueongbok palace - > bukchon hanok village, nothing nice in between that worthwhile visit ? any instagram worth picture spot? tongue.gif does it funny if take taxi in hanbok or makan in restaurant wearing hanbok? as mostlikely we will hanbok rent for the whole day

Taxi in korea all pay cash ? or can use T-mobile card/ credit card / payment by apps? And since we are travel in 4+2, seem i will need 2 taxi then

Icehart
post Nov 21 2019, 11:43 PM

All Stars
14,304 posts

QUOTE(ivzh @ Nov 21 2019, 11:08 PM)

For the nami island day trip, my previous experience tell me that very unlikely for us to able to wait till the nighttime illuminationin for garden of morning calm especially during a winter time  bangwall.gif  doh.gif and not aware of the far distance of nami island to garden of morning calm.. Winter consider high or low seaon? Q for Bus will be long? on time? seem may need to spend more $$ to charter a private car then  cry.gif

frm Gyueongbok palace - > bukchon hanok village, nothing nice in between that worthwhile visit ? any instagram worth picture spot?  tongue.gif  does it funny if take taxi in hanbok or makan in restaurant wearing hanbok? as mostlikely we will hanbok rent for the whole day

Taxi in korea all pay cash ? or can use T-mobile card/ credit card / payment by apps? And since we are travel in 4+2, seem i will need 2 taxi then
Nami to Garden is around 1.15 hr by bus. It could be longer during winter.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4908592...4e6d848d_3k.jpg

From Gyeongbok palace - Bukchon Hanak Village? Hmm walking in winter, your mom can take it or not? laugh.gif
Just row of shops. As far as I know, the temperature should be subzero, around -7 to 2.

And wearing hanbok in winter...hmm i think after taking photo faster wear back jacket.

Taxi I mostly use BigPay.
yvonnesoo
post Nov 22 2019, 10:30 AM

Wanderluster
2,169 posts

QUOTE(ivzh @ Nov 21 2019, 11:08 PM)

thanks for the the suggestion and tips

hope my 2 kids and my mother can tahan the korea winter ... estimated temperature this time? subzero degree?

For the nami island day trip, my previous experience tell me that very unlikely for us to able to wait till the nighttime illuminationin for garden of morning calm especially during a winter time  bangwall.gif  doh.gif and not aware of the far distance of nami island to garden of morning calm.. Winter consider high or low seaon? Q for Bus will be long? on time? seem may need to spend more $$ to charter a private car then  cry.gif

frm Gyueongbok palace - > bukchon hanok village, nothing nice in between that worthwhile visit ? any instagram worth picture spot?  tongue.gif  does it funny if take taxi in hanbok or makan in restaurant wearing hanbok? as mostlikely we will hanbok rent for the whole day

winter in korea is quite harsh and especially when the wind blows.. better well prepared rather than regret.

during winter, don't think you will wanna walk that much outdoor biggrin.gif so from Gyeongbokgung to Bukchon mostly is shops or cafe's.. inside bukchon do have few IG photo spots though

what kind of bus you mentioning? if you are not sure about the route, better don't take the bus.

it's not funny if take taxi in hanbok or eat inside the restaurant. i would say inconvenience only but better than kimono as it's not fitting tongue.gif

taxi accept t-money, credit card and cash. but some outskirts area, taxi may request cash only.
MR_alien
post Nov 22 2019, 12:23 PM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,298 posts

QUOTE(ivzh @ Nov 21 2019, 04:19 PM)
Hi guys, I m planning for family trip to korea during next year CNY (28/1 – till 4/2/), will travel with my 2 kids (6 years old / 4 years old) and my mother (69 years old), need some suggestion here.
-Mainly to experience winter / snow which they never encounter before
-prefer flexibility while travel with children / elderly, thus unlikely to join trip from klook/kkday
-Night/evening activity depend on the children stamina

Tentative itinerary
28/1 – midnight flight via MAS – reach seoul the next morning
29/1 (wed) – Early Check in Airbnb near Seoul station, Short rest / lunch nearby - Namsan – Seoul tower
Recommend to take the cable car ? or take the bus to seoul tower? Read that to reach the cable car station require quite some walk too.
30/1 (thurs)- Hanbok Rental – should start in Gyeongbok palace or Bukchon Hanok Village?
31/1 (Fri)- No plan yet – seoul city tour – any recommend which part of city worth to visit, does not fancy to visit any themepark this time, and not a shopping person
1/2 (Sat)– Nami island & garden of morning calm – most likely DIY tour – via ITX to gapyong – then with taxi
2/2 (Sun)– Overnight with Vivaldi park – hw many hour recommend in snowyland ?
3/2 (Mon)-  Leaving Vivaldi park @ 1pm – going back to seoul – Free and easy / shopping
4/2 – Flight @ 11am

lastly, my mother has some special diet .. she does not consume poultry / beef.. usually restaurant that sell ginseng chicken / friend chicken etc, does they have alternative for eg seafood or others?
- there is an elevator that takes u up to the cable car station(free), google "Namsan Oreumi Elevator"
- for the nami island, why not take the tour from klook/kkday?...it's perfect for elderly because transportation is include...u just sit back, reach and enjoy
it's the least hassle way of all because if take train, u need to change train a few times to reach gapyeong thn take taxi to reach nami island(from my research)
so my february trip, i opt for klook tour to all 4 destination
Icehart
post Nov 23 2019, 07:31 PM

All Stars
14,304 posts

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Nov 22 2019, 12:23 PM)
it's the least hassle way of all because if take train, u need to change train a few times to reach gapyeong thn take taxi to reach nami island(from my research)
so my february trip, i opt for klook tour to all 4 destination
for nami island
if u take express train its direct to gapyeong without stop from yongsan or cheongnyangyi
and tourist bus is available from the gapyeong station directly

MR_alien
post Nov 23 2019, 08:47 PM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,298 posts

QUOTE(Icehart @ Nov 23 2019, 07:31 PM)
for nami island
if u take express train its direct to gapyeong without stop from yongsan or cheongnyangyi
and tourist bus is available from the gapyeong station directly
for my trip, i wanna visit as much place as possible
so i don't wanna waste time on taking train(follow their schedule)
and since i'm going on winter, i wanna end it at gardens of morning calm for it's winter illumination before going back
so best way for me is to just take day trip tour
siewbow
post Nov 25 2019, 07:51 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(COOLPINK @ Nov 21 2019, 04:51 PM)
Weather for Dec, Jan, Feb is cold and you might have difficulty staying out for long. With the cold wave sweeping towards Seoul during these time you will need a windproof winter jacket.

Weather forecast in Korea is quite accurate and useful during winter season. Try to use is as often as possible to plan ur visit. Choose sunny day if you wish to visit outdoor and cloudy day for indoors attractions.

Clothing is important, get a good jacket. In Korea you can get a box of heatpack in Lotte, homeplus , daiso and try to use it as often as possible. During cold weather u won't able to walk for long, prob half an hour depending on weather n how well your body can adapt.

Unless snow mountain you may skip most of the botanical park as it is dull and empty during this time. Nami island will be good if it is snowing as it has nice scenery for photo. So use weather forecast to check which day is snowing and plan your trip wisely.
COOLPINK
post Nov 25 2019, 08:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Nov 23 2019, 08:47 PM)
for my trip, i wanna visit as much place as possible
so i don't wanna waste time on taking train(follow their schedule)
and since i'm going on winter, i wanna end it at gardens of morning calm for it's winter illumination before going back
so best way for me is to just take day trip tour
yes less headache if you take tour as they know the expected time to travel between all those places.
i guess you book the nami island, petite france and garden of morning calm day tour?
MR_alien
post Nov 25 2019, 09:04 AM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,298 posts

QUOTE(COOLPINK @ Nov 25 2019, 08:46 AM)
yes less headache if you take tour as they know the expected time to travel between all those places.
i guess you book the nami island, petite france and garden of morning calm day tour?
i booked the all 4 location
petite france, nami island, gangchon rail bike and garden of the morning calm
COOLPINK
post Nov 25 2019, 09:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Nov 25 2019, 09:04 AM)
i booked the all 4 location
petite france, nami island, gangchon rail bike and garden of the morning calm
then its good you took the tour bcs visiting all 4 places in one day is tight. thumbsup.gif
but rail bike during winter thats gonna be challenging sweat.gif

COOLPINK
post Nov 25 2019, 09:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

QUOTE(siewbow @ Nov 25 2019, 07:51 AM)
Weather for Dec, Jan, Feb is cold and you might have difficulty staying out for long. With the cold wave sweeping towards Seoul during these time you will need a windproof winter jacket.

Weather forecast in Korea is quite accurate and useful during winter season. Try to use is as often as possible to plan ur visit. Choose sunny day if you wish to visit outdoor and cloudy day for indoors attractions.

Clothing is important, get a good jacket. In Korea you can get a box of heatpack in Lotte, homeplus , daiso and try to use it as often as possible. During cold weather u won't able to walk for long, prob half an hour depending on weather n how well your body can adapt.

Unless snow mountain you may skip most of the botanical park as it is dull and empty during this time. Nami island will be good if it is snowing as it has nice scenery for photo. So use weather forecast to check which day is snowing and plan your trip wisely.
forecast is accurate 7 days in advance.
the forecast for Jan and Feb is changing week to week.
compared with last week it would seem its going to get colder now.
but still ok considering last year it dropped -17°C during day time when they had a snow storm.

different people, different tolerance to the cold.
i have seen people wear shorts outside during winter, but they are definately not asians. laugh.gif

yes during winter everything is dull unless there is snow.
only consolation is if you go in Dec you can enjoy the christmas decorations.

MR_alien
post Nov 25 2019, 10:18 AM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,298 posts

QUOTE(COOLPINK @ Nov 25 2019, 09:48 AM)
then its good you took the tour bcs visiting all 4 places in one day is tight.  thumbsup.gif
but rail bike during winter thats gonna be challenging sweat.gif
ya...winter schedule is start 10AM
end at around 9.30PM

and i'm betting on the challenging part as well, because you're travelling anyway..why not try something out of your comfort zone laugh.gif
and i'm betting not much people join as well
because from all the nami island tour that is offered in klook, only 3 offered to go to all 4...a very rare package
and only 2-3 days per week only, it's not a daily tour
COOLPINK
post Nov 25 2019, 10:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Nov 25 2019, 10:18 AM)
ya...winter schedule is start 10AM
end at around 9.30PM

and i'm betting on the challenging part as well, because you're travelling anyway..why not try something out of your comfort zone laugh.gif
and i'm betting not much people join as well
because from all the nami island tour that is offered in klook, only 3 offered to go to all 4...a very rare package
and only 2-3 days per week only, it's not a daily tour
thats the spirit! thumbup.gif

freezing wind blowing in your face for around 50mins is numbing i tell you.
bring along a scarf to protect your face or keep your beard long. laugh.gif
MR_alien
post Nov 25 2019, 11:34 AM

Mr.Alien on the loss
3,298 posts

QUOTE(COOLPINK @ Nov 25 2019, 10:42 AM)
thats the spirit!  thumbup.gif

freezing wind blowing in your face for around 50mins is numbing i tell you.
bring along a scarf to protect your face or keep your beard long.  laugh.gif
face mask already prepared
scarf still searching, not sure what kind to bring
applesmiley
post Nov 25 2019, 01:51 PM

On my way
505 posts

QUOTE(kochin @ Nov 15 2019, 11:48 AM)
anybody bought the discover seoul pass?
i bought the 72 hours package.
looking at it, logistic quite a nightmare to visit some of the places.
anybody got a well written advice on how to maximise the pass and visit only the best attraction?
my biggest concern is the planning and travelling to each location.
tentatively planning to activate the card on a tuesday noon.
and end it by entering lotte world on friday before noon.
sounds like a plan?
I bought 24 hours*2 (due to a failed B1F1 transaction) sweat.gif and a 48 hours pass.
You will really need to do a proper itinerary and planning.
Come up with plan B as well, mine was partly delayed/affected by rain.
Exactly what I did, starting on a noon so that it wasn't so hectic and rushed.
I did the same with Lotte World only to discover that outdoor is closed and the queues for the rides are extremely long - more than 45 mins just for a ride!
Anyway, if you have nothing else better to do and if it's raining outside, why not?

QUOTE(kochin @ Nov 15 2019, 11:49 AM)
also i notice google map mostly prompt buses instead of the subway. am i missing something here?
does the discover seoul pass comes with free travel or need to top up separately. thanks again.
Try to make use of the Yellow Balloon City Bus & Seoul Tiger Bus so that you can cover some of your transportation costs.

117 Pages « < 95 96 97 98 99 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0238sec    0.10    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:15 PM