Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wrong degree?, Has anyone experienced before?

views

archery
post Sep 26 2016, 06:17 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

QUOTE(nesadotcom @ Sep 26 2016, 11:17 AM)
Gomen have problem paying pension meh? My mom and dad get it right on time.
Certain agency only. They still got but the payment "delayed". So you can make your own analysis. Is our economy good or going to disaster
Drian
post Sep 26 2016, 06:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

QUOTE(ViLenG @ Sep 24 2016, 06:16 PM)
hello... i pursue a degree in accounting... but my life ... i felt that i have chosen the wrong degree choice--> career.
i have been doing a few years of accounts assistant.. and realize that i actually am not so a number person... would like to switch to some social skills, interacting with people.... rather than accounting...

Actually i have a deep passion in art / people.. i like to exchange new ideas. That is so unrelevant to my current degree right?

Should i try consultant, hotel management or customer service... ?
but would it be wasted to change my career path?

pls advice... sad.gif
Can but don't expect your pay to be as good as accounting
leaF
post Sep 26 2016, 06:48 PM

On my way
511 posts

end of the weekday , just relax urself and enjoy , u know if you in hotel management mean u sacrifice ur own personal life and valuable time with your family .

yea , your job is boring and repetitive but end of weekday you can afford and have time to do something you like.
TSViLenG
post Sep 26 2016, 07:09 PM

custom vi leng
1,461 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ Sep 25 2016, 01:53 AM)
Same with me.

Pursued accountancy. Didn't like it.

Instead of taking another undergraduate degree in another field, I took my postgraduate degrees in another field.

Somehow, it's still my accountancy qualifications that got me jobs instead.
Oh.. thats interesting... yeah.. i think most employers will look up on accounts degree first... because it has more demand...
Which field are you in now?

This post has been edited by ViLenG: Sep 26 2016, 07:12 PM
TSViLenG
post Sep 26 2016, 07:14 PM

custom vi leng
1,461 posts

QUOTE(yi1993x3 @ Sep 25 2016, 03:00 AM)
Would you be interested to join as a investment consultant for public bank? I can help you smile.gif
Thats glad to hear... may i knowwhat does an investment consultant do??

Also, in which location the public bank is located...? because i need take care of my family.. cant go too far from my hometown...

This post has been edited by ViLenG: Sep 26 2016, 07:14 PM
TSViLenG
post Sep 26 2016, 07:16 PM

custom vi leng
1,461 posts

QUOTE(xCM @ Sep 25 2016, 04:47 PM)
Hi TS, you should be lucky you got an education in accounting. Because in management level, you're expected to know basic accounting even if you're not in that field. It might be bland but the company survives through revenue and they need experienced people to do the job.
you mean in all levels of business? they need an accounting degree to be a manager?
TSViLenG
post Sep 26 2016, 07:22 PM

custom vi leng
1,461 posts

For your guys information... actually i am working in audit firm now... chartered accountant?? they call it.. as audit assistant..
before this i work as finance supervisor in genting... i find difficulties adapting to small companies... sigh.. who has experience before?
Blofeld
post Sep 26 2016, 10:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(ViLenG @ Sep 26 2016, 07:09 PM)
Oh.. thats interesting... yeah.. i think most employers will look up on accounts degree first... because it has more demand...
Which field are you in now?
Academic
titarium
post Sep 26 2016, 10:56 PM

On my way
683 posts

Find your passion that more important , gather up enough courage and field you wish to move on the leave.

25 very young age , even at 40 isn't an old age to change career path .

Importantly look for what you enjoy doing.

Can't feel go back to study , probably a master degree .

don't belittle a degree for accountancy you are able to join Banking , Recruitment Firm , insurance firm, investment firm , Manufacturing (not limit to account department , procurement / purchasing , pre-sales , post sales ) , Account Management (any products) ...

Spoken to a risk manager in an IT firm (Global MNC) he is holding an accountancy degree .
kamilnu
post Sep 27 2016, 10:05 PM

Regular
1,170 posts

Very few people will have passion for their work. All this is just a rat race which feeds the capitalist economic engine. End of the day, what we want is to put food on the table, pay our bills, pay our loans, put the kids to school and buy iphone, new car once every few years.

Yes its sad....but its the truth.

This post has been edited by kamilnu: Sep 27 2016, 10:05 PM
TSViLenG
post Sep 29 2016, 07:18 PM

custom vi leng
1,461 posts

I know... every job has something to learn... step, by step, and day by day it becomes our passion...
BlurGuy1992
post Sep 29 2016, 09:28 PM

Getting Started
254 posts

QUOTE(ViLenG @ Sep 26 2016, 07:22 PM)
For your guys information... actually i am working in audit firm now... chartered accountant?? they call it.. as audit assistant..
before this i work as finance supervisor in genting... i find difficulties adapting to small companies... sigh.. who has experience before?
what makes you think its different/hard to adapt in small company compared to your past experience?

Me too an accounting degree fresh grad, but my job some how like inclusive service.... in chinese its called 一条龙
I do the account, I do the query, I do the filling, I do the audit draft...
and let someone sign it, and someone will type the real report out...
cringe
post Sep 29 2016, 09:41 PM

Casual
330 posts

hello... i pursue a degree in accounting... but my life ... i felt that i have chosen the wrong degree choice--> career.
i have been doing a few years of accounts assistant.. and realize that i actually am not so a number person... would like to switch to some social skills, interacting with people.... rather than accounting...

Actually i have a deep passion in art / people.. i like to exchange new ideas. That is so unrelevant to my current degree right?

pls advice... sad.gif
If u interested with Customer Service, I suggest you try apply Paypal. My friend is working there and she is okay with the job. Her starting pay is Rm3k. Fresh grad.

TBJ
post Sep 29 2016, 09:45 PM

Casual
374 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ Sep 26 2016, 12:54 AM)
MBA and PhD
hi, PhD in which field?
Baconateer
post Sep 29 2016, 09:49 PM

Meh..... (TM)
4,874 posts

i hv a degree in PR...but i dont feel like finding jobs related to it...

right now..im working a PR exec..but gonna leave soon...very soon..

i was wondering..what can i do? with only several months of experience...
Blofeld
post Sep 29 2016, 11:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(TBJ @ Sep 29 2016, 09:45 PM)
hi, PhD in which field?
organisational behaviour
madmoz
post Sep 30 2016, 10:08 AM

4,250 posts

Accounting is but a door opener. Many of us are certified accountants/chartered accountants but work in all kinds of positions/industries.

You're not going to be a number cruncher forever bah, unless if you yourself choose to be an accounting auntie/uncle.
k town shit
post Sep 30 2016, 10:25 AM

Enthusiast
758 posts

QUOTE(ViLenG @ Sep 24 2016, 05:16 PM)

pls advice... sad.gif
u don't have a bachelor's degree of common sense to g into art/ people. If u want to go into hotel mgmt or Cust serv, just apply a job in the jobstreet. Before u were selected for the interview, join forum Linkedin to discuss issues and problem in the hospitality industry. That's how I do to make a career switch
awesomecrystal88
post Sep 30 2016, 11:55 AM

3 posts

25 is very young.. that means you still have 30 years of working life (with 55 as a retiring age). If you hate your job, you have to dread for another 30 years.

If money is not a big concern, I recommend you to try out the fields you are interested in. It may come to a surprise that when you actually work in those fields, in may not be what you thought you like. It is better to try then to regret.

Any education is a stepping stone for your career path. Attitude is more important at work.

Also, it is important you know your priorities in your career life. Money, passion, work-life balance and etc. If you know these, you can make better decisions in deciding your future career.
SUSdangerminimouse
post Oct 1 2016, 12:56 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

pls advice... sad.gif
I know one guy also regretted like you, he was thinking of taking other courses, IT, art, etc. But he didn't move. 10 years later, he has no regret because he stuck to same profession he was able to get better pay. Had he change field he would have lose money.

Another girl, she quit accounting profession in her 30s, took up another profession, start pay 3k. Go back to graduate pay.

Then another guy, quit accounting when to do his passion - insurance sales. He been enjoying it since.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.55    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:33 PM