Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis 20mbps not reaching it's full potential, And they say it's my fault

views

TSdtdw
post Sep 24 2016, 09:04 AM, updated 8y ago

Casual
425 posts

So i have been upgraded to 20mbps due to the "loyalty promo" for a [reasonable] price. After a few days of testing, i still can't reach the full 20m and report to them.

Maxis sent technician to my place and I wasn't around so my dad handled it. Knowing my dad he obviously don't know alot of things but he knows it didn't reach the full 20m.

They said it's my copper cable (old building uses this) being too long and old so i will not get the full speed and asked me to shift the modem to nearer the base. (i consented to this ridiculous request).

Here's a few problem they are not willing to admit.

1. The wifi doesn't reach full speed, max being 18m (in which their response is, that's already good enough because you're on wifi. you need to test using direct lan cable)

2. The lan cable also doesnt reach full speed max being 19m but doesn't sustain long (i havent call them up again because i dont wanna hear more excuses).

3. For the wifi speed, they said I need to change to a better router to reach full speed because of wifi noise from surrounding neibors and blah. (yet another BS. I have been in a noiser place but the unifi router handles it properly. In which their response is, the unifi router is different, which means better lah ?! TF they give me this crappy thomsan router?)

4. They tested it from their end which idk how they did and said i am capable of reaching more than 25m (yet another BS. by now i'm pretty tired of typing and hearing excuses).

@Maxis rep. Mind to blow this up even bigger so a manager can call me back and settle this? You don't want your "loyalty" customer to get mad and post neg review all over the place having just signed up for another 2 year contract to only get this shitty service.

This post has been edited by dtdw: Sep 24 2016, 09:11 AM
sitescope
post Sep 24 2016, 09:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,225 posts

Me also just upgraded to 20mb last week
What router u used ?
Mine is tplink with openwrt
Maintain 20mb up n down everyday even via wifi
Yet to test on LAN coz dun have
yongtjunkit
post Sep 24 2016, 09:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

QUOTE(dtdw @ Sep 24 2016, 09:04 AM)
So i have been upgraded to 20mbps due to the "loyalty promo" for a [reasonable] price. After a few days of testing, i still can't reach the full 20m and report to them.

Maxis sent technician to my place and I wasn't around so my dad handled it. Knowing my dad he obviously don't know alot of things but he knows it didn't reach the full 20m.

They said it's my copper cable (old building uses this) being too long and old so i will not get the full speed and asked me to shift the modem to nearer the base. (i consented to this ridiculous request).

1. The wifi doesn't reach full speed, max being 18m (in which their response is, that's already good enough because you're on wifi. you need to test using direct lan cable)

2. The lan cable also doesnt reach full speed max being 19m but doesn't sustain long (i havent call them up again because i dont wanna hear more excuses).

3. For the wifi speed, they said I need to change to a better router to reach full speed because of wifi noise from surrounding neibors and blah. (yet another BS. I have been in a noiser place but the unifi router handles it properly. In which their response is, the unifi router is different, which means better lah ?! TF they give me this crappy thomsan router?)

4. They tested it from their end which idk how they did and said i am capable of reaching more than 25m (yet another BS. by now i'm pretty tired of typing and hearing excuses).

@Maxis rep. Mind to blow this up even bigger so a manager can call me back and settle this? You don't want your "loyalty" customer to get mad and post neg review all over the place having just signed up for another 2 year contract to only get this shitty service.
Their router is actually isn't good, the technicolour model maximum network speed over WiFi appears to be 21mbps. Plus their router is only 2.4ghz wireless n which is by today's standards its slightly outdated considerning that devices nowadays comes with dual band wifi(2.4ghz & 5ghz) and only one gigabit port??? - used by astro iptv(if subscribed). My housing area wifi on 2.4ghz gets noisy sometimes that apps on my ios devices fails to install.

Upgraded to Asus rt ac68u, it performs way better +it has dual band wireless ac WiFi. Sometimes get 10 mbps on wireless but thanks to an app called cloud check, I was able to measure the Internet speed from the router point of view which gets around 10mbps

This post has been edited by yongtjunkit: Sep 24 2016, 09:47 PM
TSdtdw
post Sep 25 2016, 05:56 PM

Casual
425 posts

QUOTE(sitescope @ Sep 24 2016, 09:11 PM)
Me also just upgraded to 20mb last week
What router u used ?
Mine is tplink with openwrt
Maintain 20mb up n down everyday even via wifi
Yet to test on LAN coz dun have
Hmm, i assume you are on fiber. Mine is copper (via fiber to copper thingy) so it is understandable the speed will not be optimum but the i can't reach 20m via LAN as well.

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Sep 24 2016, 09:45 PM)
Their router is actually isn't good,  the technicolour model maximum network speed over WiFi appears to be 21mbps.  Plus their router is only 2.4ghz wireless n which is by today's standards its slightly outdated considerning that devices nowadays comes with dual band wifi(2.4ghz & 5ghz) and only one gigabit port??? -  used by astro iptv(if subscribed). My housing area wifi on 2.4ghz gets noisy sometimes that apps on my ios devices fails to install.
Upgraded to Asus rt ac68u,  it performs way better +it has dual band wireless ac WiFi. Sometimes get 10 mbps on wireless but thanks to an app called cloud check,  I was able to measure the Internet speed from the router point of view which gets around 10mbps
Are you on 20m and only get 10? I think for 10m it's a little overkill to get an AC router. I mean, sure i agree their router sucks, but if I can't achive full speed on LAN, surely it's something else. My bro on unifi default router can reach 30m on wifi.

When they ask me to test via LAN, I am always against this idea. Why? Because lets face it, nobody uses LAN nowadays. I have a mediaserver on LAN sure, but that's beside the point. Asking normal customer to test via LAN when reporting is just really REALLY stupid and not practical at all.

@Maxis Please don't play hide and seek with me. Answer to this thread now or else i'm gonna keep spamming neg review. I'm tired of your excuses.

This post has been edited by dtdw: Sep 25 2016, 05:59 PM
Maxis
post Sep 26 2016, 09:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,705 posts

QUOTE(dtdw @ Sep 24 2016, 09:04 AM)

Hi,

Please PM to us below details and the link of this post for further assistance.

1. Fibre account number.
2. Full name
3. Contact number
4. Modem ID

TQ

TSdtdw
post Oct 1 2016, 08:34 AM

Casual
425 posts

So i get the point. Its pointless to try and get anyone from online to solve anything.

All they want is more details that ive given repeatedly, and then nothing gets done.

The call center failed to create a new report for me on the 2nd follow up, and now their excuse is oh today is a holiday, monday is a holiday.

1 whole week cannot solve anything!

And they keep telling me, 18 to 19mbps is good enough.

So do you think is good enough?

After i saw the 22mbps above, 19 is not good enough. I dont care what your acceptable policy of 80% is. Not getting 99% is not good enough.

The longer you guys delay things, the more i'm going to post it. There's no face saving anymore maxis.

This post has been edited by dtdw: Oct 1 2016, 08:34 AM
TSdtdw
post Oct 4 2016, 10:37 AM

Casual
425 posts

After the 2nd technician that came, they said the same thing. 80% is acceptable speed and is a company policy.

This is during non peak hour. Peak hour will see less.

How @sitescope managed to get 21+mbps is very strange indeed.

So i asked, if i sign up for 30 which you said my building still can reach, i won't get 30? They say it so blatanly, yes, thats how it is, thats how maxis works. So i asked my bro who's on unifi 30m and he said he can reach 30m no sweat!

I am growing tired of having to deal with this. I need to make a decision whether staying on 80% is ok or should i ask for the charges to revert back. Its a tough decision but i'm leaning more towards getting ripped off and that's just the way poor people like me live and why our country is what it is.

Complain, riot, but in the end cant do anything but to accept it.

This post has been edited by dtdw: Oct 4 2016, 10:40 AM
xMusashii
post Oct 4 2016, 10:42 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

Get a better router. Their technicolor will degrade after a year use and will considerably drop your net
sitescope
post Oct 4 2016, 12:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,225 posts

QUOTE(dtdw @ Oct 4 2016, 10:37 AM)
After the 2nd technician that came, they said the same thing. 80% is acceptable speed and is a company policy.

This is during non peak hour. Peak hour will see less.

How @sitescope managed to get 21+mbps is very strange indeed.

So i asked, if i sign up for 30 which you said my building still can reach, i won't get 30? They say it so blatanly, yes, thats how it is, thats how maxis works. So i asked my bro who's on unifi 30m and he said he can reach 30m no sweat!

I am growing tired of having to deal with this. I need to make a decision whether staying on 80% is ok or should i ask for the charges to revert back. Its a tough decision but i'm leaning more towards getting ripped off and that's just the way poor people like me live and why our country is what it is.

Complain, riot, but in the end cant do anything but to accept it.
Like i said, depend on residential area...
If ur place crowded of house then might slow, my area only got 300 houses only...
If u stay at kepong or puchong where got 5000 houses then might congested...
sg999
post Nov 26 2016, 12:40 AM

Regular
1,027 posts

i think unifi is better than maxis.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.04    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:12 AM