Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wireless Problems "Hardware error" when I ping the router

views

TSBernard Yeo
post Jan 30 2007, 12:37 PM, updated 18y ago

On my way
570 posts

Hi, I have a simple setup in the office. 3 notebooks connect wirelessly through a D-Link 714p+ router. Recently one of the notebooks cannot go online but shows that it is connected to the router.

I tried pinging the other computers in the workgroup, the router itself and external websites and it displayed "Hardware Error".

I've brought the notebook down to the store where I bought it. They disabled Intel Pro/Set utility and used the default Windows wireless utility and it worked on their router.

I brought it back to the office and still have same problem. I tried pinging 127.0.0.1 and it works. I brought in my home router (Linksys WRT54GS), which has identical settings but the results are the same.

Any ideas?
SUSspanker
post Jan 30 2007, 01:20 PM

Custom Made e-Penis
7,606 posts

what you need to do is to ping the router, 127.0.0.1 is a loopback IP (i.e. your own PC). If there is no reply from your local network, check and make sure you computer has a valid IP address, if it does then make sure it's in the same range of the router.

This post has been edited by spanker: Jan 30 2007, 01:21 PM
TSBernard Yeo
post Jan 30 2007, 01:47 PM

On my way
570 posts

I've always used static IPs. The network is in the same workgroup. The router is located 1 metre from the computer. I've already ping the router (read my previous post). All the other computers can ping the router.

Anyway somehow I solved it by chance.
Under Network Connections, if I disable either Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Connection, a new entry will appear called Internet Gateway -> Internet Connections. It will be disabled and cannot be enabled. If I open it and look at it's settings and services, it will show MsnMsgr (192.168.25.61:14018) 22511 UDP. I can't seem to delete this.

Anyway, if I enable both Wireless Network Connection and Local Area Connection, that Internet Gateway -> Internet Connections will disappear and "Hardware Error" will appear while pinging.

I disabled Local Area Connection and wifi works! Voila!

If you can tell me what's going on and help me fix it, I'd appreciate it.
sirprotos
post Jan 30 2007, 02:41 PM

30 posts

Can u please attach the screen shot of what has u describe.

In the meawhile, try this and post me the result :

- Enable both wired n wireless net (make sure both are connected with a different IP)
- click start menu then click run then type in cmd (windows xp)
- In the new windows (blank windows or whatever ur skin colour is) type 'ipconfig /all' and enter
- It will display all your hardware and ip address.
- Post me the result so that we can continue.

wink.gif
SUSspanker
post Jan 30 2007, 03:10 PM

Custom Made e-Penis
7,606 posts

QUOTE(Bernard Yeo @ Jan 30 2007, 01:47 PM)
I've always used static IPs. The network is in the same workgroup. The router is located 1 metre from the computer. I've already ping the router (read my previous post). All the other computers can ping the router.

Anyway somehow I solved it by chance.
Under Network Connections, if I disable either Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Connection, a new entry will appear called Internet Gateway -> Internet Connections. It will be disabled and cannot be enabled. If I open it and look at it's settings and services, it will show MsnMsgr (192.168.25.61:14018) 22511 UDP. I can't seem to delete this.

Anyway, if I enable both Wireless Network Connection and Local Area Connection, that Internet Gateway -> Internet Connections will disappear and "Hardware Error" will appear while pinging.

I disabled Local Area Connection and wifi works! Voila!

If you can tell me what's going on and help me fix it, I'd appreciate it.
Most likely it's the UPnP feature on the router messing your connection up. Both your interfaces are quering for a UPnP gateway service and for some reason windows won't allow more than 1 of them (because it's the same). Try turning off the UPnP feature on the router and see what happens.
monaro
post Feb 6 2007, 03:25 AM

Getting Started
129 posts

Turn off the client security in the wireless section in your dlink.
SUSspanker
post Feb 8 2007, 08:23 AM

Custom Made e-Penis
7,606 posts

if it is wireless security, it would return a "Ping request timed out" error, not hardware error.
sirprotos
post Feb 8 2007, 08:49 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(spanker @ Feb 8 2007, 08:23 AM)
if it is wireless security, it would return a "Ping request timed out" error, not hardware error.
Yeah i agree with u..... most of the time, hardware error msg is return when ur source device (notebook / pc) doesn't have an IP of the interface has been disabled.
shahlanibrahim
post Feb 7 2009, 07:37 AM

37 posts

I've got the very same problem with my SMCWBR14S-N2, it works ok within 10 minute or so, after power cycle. Then I got this 'Hardware error' message when I ping to the internet.

I'm convinced this is indeed an error with the hardware, because when I try to upgrade the firmware, everything looks fine, except the firmware version number did not changed, in the status page.

(p/s I noticed this thread is like 2 yrs ago)

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0130sec    0.78    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:15 PM