Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Path to be a Professional Engineer in Electrical, with or without practising cert

views

TSsquarepilot
post Sep 18 2016, 04:17 PM, updated 8y ago

Regular
1,075 posts

Hi all, I'm currently working in a M&E Consultant for 1+ Year.

According to my colleague and friends, Consultant firm is the best and easiest way to obtain PE (professional engineer) due the the experience gained during work. No doubt about it, but they are some other way or other type of job in order to become certified PE as well, such as:-

1. M&E Consulting firm
2. Contractor/M&E Construction
3. Developer
4. Electrical supplier and technical support
5. Electrical Manufacturer

and Etc Etc...

Ok. here comes the situation:

The firm I currently working right now is too tiring for me. I am doing all sort of work (from designing to meeting authorities, from costing to managing projects for contractor) and handling about 8+ projects which are current active and on going, and a few more which on and off). The worst part is that my Boss which is a PE himself usually did not come to office and did not put effort in training up his staff, I have to learn 80% of things myself and from contractors. Not to mention the traveling time taken most of my time and energy. Ended up back to home almost 12am everyday and high pressure from family urging me not to be back so late often

At the meantime, I'm also keen on exploring other electrical field of work. So I'm asking here whether there is a better or other option for me to becoming a professional engineer. This thread is meant for sharing and those newbie are free to ask question and those sifu please feel free to share here.

Thank you.
AdviceSeeker
post Sep 18 2016, 11:43 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

Some questions for you
How long have you been working
Did you register with the board
Who is your mentor, do you have one
Did you record down your work
Do your boss know you want to become pe?
TSsquarepilot
post Sep 19 2016, 12:22 AM

Regular
1,075 posts

QUOTE(AdviceSeeker @ Sep 18 2016, 11:43 PM)
Some questions for you
How long have you been working
1 year 6 months

Did you register with the board
Yes. As graduate member

Who is your mentor, do you have one
Mentor is only for examination year I supposed. If I'm to get one, my boss will be my mentor

Did you record down your work
Yes. But not all projects. Only 2 to 3 currently keep track

Do your boss know you want to become pe?
Yes

@tsw@
post Sep 19 2016, 12:47 AM

22 posts

Hi. Just want to share a little of my experience. Different field of engineering (c&s) but related to your work, which I assume is part of the construction industry.

1) Was in similar predicament with working hours and workload. That lasted for a full five years (I call it my formative years). Eventually figured out that by working efficiently and over the weekends. Most things could be resolved. You need passion for the type of work you are doing. I know it is dry and unforgiving but it is your ricebowl and you damn better make sure it is done to the best of your ability.

2) Please be willing and be strong to get thro these formative years, I can rest assure you that once you get your P.E another 1 or 2 years down the road from the formative years. You will be able to stand on your own two feet and have your own practice (if you want), if not, by then your principal would have offered you a partnership.

3) Once there, things will be easier, financial and workload wise.

4) Be in it for the long run. You will suffer now but in future it'll be a breeze. If you go about it the easy way now, you'll never be able to stand on your own feet even if you do obtain your P.E

So the choice is yours and f@*k, this is making me sound so old.

josephlau7966
post Sep 19 2016, 07:13 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

Have you ever checked what's the PE exam scope nowadays? You will be surprised with what you find out. The exam system has not been fully and well established yet it is way harder compared with the previous one. There are 2 level of PE exams. Those who has passed level 1 is "stagnant" at the moment since level 2 exam is not available. Try to ask around when you attend courses in IEM and you will know.

For your information, to pass level 1 PE exam, you don't need to be extremely overloaded. Just concentrate on the scope you have submitted during your exam registration. Nevertheless, to pass level 2 PE exam (in other words, to pursue practicing licence), your effort needed are more than extremely overloaded at the moment. Hopefully things will change when the Board "fine tune" this level 2 exam.

I am not trying to discourage you but this is current situation of the consulting engineers in construction field. We are in a huge dilemma I reckon, especially for fresh grad like you who just ventures into this field.

For your case, I guess you are working in small consulting firm. Well, I can say overloaded is a norm. If you want work-life balance, please go to try other bigger consulting firm (those big players). You might have the chance to be specialized in certain services. And that's mean much lesser workload. I cannot 100% guarantee you since every company is different and things are rapidly changing.

Lastly, good luck in your future endeavor, Mr. Junior....smile.gif
jack~daniel
post Sep 20 2016, 04:22 PM

Enthusiast
833 posts

QUOTE(josephlau7966 @ Sep 19 2016, 07:13 PM)
Have you ever checked what's the PE exam scope nowadays? You will be surprised with what you find out. The exam system has not been fully and well established yet it is way harder compared with the previous one. There are 2 level of PE exams. Those who has passed level 1 is "stagnant" at the moment since level 2 exam is not available. Try to ask around when you attend courses in IEM and you will know.

For your information, to pass level 1 PE exam, you don't need to be extremely overloaded. Just concentrate on the scope you have submitted during your exam registration. Nevertheless, to pass level 2 PE exam (in other words, to pursue practicing licence), your effort needed are more than extremely overloaded at the moment. Hopefully things will change when the Board "fine tune" this level 2 exam.

I am not trying to discourage you but this is current situation of the consulting engineers in construction field. We are in a huge dilemma I reckon, especially for fresh grad like you who just ventures into this field.

For your case, I guess you are working in small consulting firm. Well, I can say overloaded is a norm. If you want work-life balance, please go to try other bigger consulting firm (those big players). You might have the chance to be specialized in certain services. And that's mean much lesser workload. I cannot 100% guarantee you since every company is different and things are rapidly changing.

Well, I beg to differ, actually, PAE is not really an exam, but it's an interview process by examiners, the questions are open, there is no specific syllabus/format, examiners/interviewers will ask anything that comes across their mind.

There is no level 1 or level 2....
josephlau7966
post Sep 20 2016, 05:02 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(jack~daniel @ Sep 20 2016, 04:22 PM)
Well, I beg to differ, actually, PAE is not really an exam, but it's an interview process by examiners, the questions are open, there is no specific syllabus/format, examiners/interviewers will ask anything that comes across their mind.

yes. to be more precise. they are labelled as Tier 1 & Tier 2 PE exams instead of level 1 and level 2.....nothing different....just a matter of how we address both exams.

After all, PAE stands for Professional Assessment Examination...so, it is still an exam...involved 2 essays writing....so, whats the difference???

This post has been edited by josephlau7966: Sep 20 2016, 05:06 PM
jack~daniel
post Sep 20 2016, 05:50 PM

Enthusiast
833 posts

QUOTE(josephlau7966 @ Sep 20 2016, 05:02 PM)
yes. to be more precise. they are labelled as Tier 1 & Tier 2 PE exams instead of level 1 and level 2.....nothing different....just a matter of how we address both exams.

After all, PAE stands for Professional Assessment Examination...so, it is still an exam...involved 2 essays writing....so, whats the difference???
No man, no such thing as tier- 1 and tier-2, after the interview process, candidates will proceed with essay writing, there are 12 topics in the essay, some interviewers allow the candidate to choose a topic, some may not...
josephlau7966
post Sep 20 2016, 06:51 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(jack~daniel @ Sep 20 2016, 05:50 PM)
No man, no such thing as tier- 1 and tier-2, after the interview process, candidates will proceed with essay writing, there are 12 topics in the essay, some interviewers allow the candidate to choose a topic, some may not...
There are two exams...no matter how we address them...Tier-1 and Tier-2 exams were what I found out in IEM monthly magazine...so what's the point of arguing???
JohnJon82
post Sep 20 2016, 09:49 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

Yes, there is. New act last year. PAE for Tier 1 PE, PCE for Tier 2 PE. PCE looks tough.
josephlau7966
post Sep 21 2016, 10:36 AM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(JohnJon82 @ Sep 20 2016, 09:49 PM)
Yes, there is. New act last year. PAE for Tier 1 PE, PCE for Tier 2 PE. PCE looks tough.
http://www.bem.org.my/v3/index.html

BEM starts calling to sit for PCE.

According to item 11,

The Board does not endorse any courses conducted or provide material as study
aids for the examination.

I am wondering how many tough engineers can pass this exam.
feekle
post Sep 21 2016, 10:56 AM

Bibo ergo sum!
1,922 posts

I've seen the essay question before. Its more to ethics. Project management experience plays an important roles when answering those quest IMO.
JohnJon82
post Sep 21 2016, 12:28 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

QUOTE(josephlau7966 @ Sep 21 2016, 10:36 AM)
http://www.bem.org.my/v3/index.html

BEM starts calling to sit for PCE.

According to item 11,

The Board does not endorse any courses conducted or provide material as study
aids for the examination.

I am wondering how many tough engineers can pass this exam.
The format looked similar to other countries' exams. The syllabus is quite wide. Easier for graduates, but after working for 10 years, basic equations also forget already. Still considering to take it this batch or not. Time left very short until the exam date.
josephlau7966
post Sep 21 2016, 06:31 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(JohnJon82 @ Sep 21 2016, 12:28 PM)
The format looked similar to other countries' exams. The syllabus is quite wide. Easier for graduates, but after working for 10 years, basic equations also forget already. Still considering to take it this batch or not. Time left very short until the exam date.
I don't think i will take this exam until it get stabilized. It might be a few years down the road.
TSsquarepilot
post Sep 25 2016, 09:47 PM

Regular
1,075 posts

QUOTE(jack~daniel @ Sep 20 2016, 04:22 PM)

Guys, check this out.

http://www.bem.org.my/v3/body/pdf/Guidelines_PCE.pdf

what does this mean?

how about those who are currently having PE title but do not have practicing cert right now? have to sit for this? This is the 1st PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCY
EXAMINATION?
TSsquarepilot
post Sep 25 2016, 09:58 PM

Regular
1,075 posts

QUOTE(@tsw@ @ Sep 19 2016, 12:47 AM)
Hi. Just want to share a little of my experience. Different field of engineering (c&s) but related to your work, which I assume is part of the construction industry.

1) Was in similar predicament with working hours and workload. That lasted for a full five years (I call it my formative years). Eventually figured out that by working efficiently and over the weekends. Most things could be resolved. You need passion for the type of work you are doing. I know it is dry and unforgiving but it is your ricebowl and you damn better make sure it is done to the best of your ability.

2) Please be willing and be strong to get thro these formative years, I can rest assure you that once you get your P.E another 1 or 2 years down the road from the formative years. You will be able to stand on your own two feet and have your own practice (if you want), if not, by then your principal would have offered you a partnership.

3) Once there, things will be easier, financial and workload wise.

4) Be in it for the long run. You will suffer now but in future it'll be a breeze. If you go about it the easy way now, you'll never be able to stand on your own feet even if you do obtain your P.E

So the choice is yours and f@*k, this is making me sound so old.

Yes. I was quite depressed in my current job and that's where I started to look for more information on Professional engineer information. But until now i still not have a clear guideline. If not mistaken, PE Exam for 1st level consist of 4 paper (1 being exempted because taken during Uni Exam ( Power distribution and protection for electrical). then comes the interview part with essay, then another second interview. Now there is going to be another paper which is called PCE.

Well, With the current workload and my quality time with my family. I don't think will able to cope with those exam preparation as i would say more than 40% is not related to the current jobscope, like ethics and law (what the purpose of studying it to apply for job now???)

Previously was working in production line and life seems peaceful for me, until i end up in this job
jack~daniel
post Sep 29 2016, 07:03 PM

Enthusiast
833 posts

QUOTE(josephlau7966 @ Sep 20 2016, 06:51 PM)
There are two exams...no matter how we address them...Tier-1 and Tier-2 exams were what I found out in IEM monthly magazine...so what's the point of arguing???
I'd been through those processes and I'm P.E with practicing certificate. There are no such thing tier-1 and tier-2 exams. The process hasn't been changed since 2011, you may refer to IEM and BEM website. You're confusing with the professional engineer with practicing certificate exam.
jack~daniel
post Sep 29 2016, 07:11 PM

Enthusiast
833 posts

QUOTE(JohnJon82 @ Sep 20 2016, 09:49 PM)
Tier-1 and Tier-2 for P.E with practicing certificate....don't get confuse with only P.E
jack~daniel
post Sep 29 2016, 07:18 PM

Enthusiast
833 posts

QUOTE(JohnJon82 @ Sep 21 2016, 12:28 PM)
The exam very easy if you're really an engineer, those questions more on basic, the calculation very simple, but experience in building electrical design is must. For those who works on plant engineering might find it's a bit challenging although plant engineering is very tougher compared to the building design.
jack~daniel
post Sep 29 2016, 07:23 PM

Enthusiast
833 posts

QUOTE(squarepilot @ Sep 25 2016, 09:47 PM)
Guys, check this out.

http://www.bem.org.my/v3/body/pdf/Guidelines_PCE.pdf

what does this mean?

how about those who are currently having PE title but do not have practicing cert right now? have to sit for this? This is the 1st PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCY 
EXAMINATION?
The exam is meant for those who wants to upgrade to P.E with practicing certificate.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0155sec    0.86    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:25 PM