Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Philosophy Euthyphro dilemma, Has any of you thought about this?

views

TSBeta Tegus
post Sep 17 2016, 03:51 PM, updated 8y ago

9 posts

The dilemma has had a major effect on the philosophical theism of the monotheistic religions, but in a modified form: "Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?"

Problems with two horns:

The first horn of the dilemma i.e. that which is right is commanded by God because it is right.

First horn problem:

Sovereignty: If there are moral standards independent of God's will, then "there is something over which God is not sovereign. God is bound by the laws of morality instead of being their establisher. Moreover, God depends for his goodness on the extent to which he conforms to an independent moral standard. Thus, God is not absolutely independent."

=========================================

The second horn of the dilemma, i.e. that which is right is right because it is commanded by God.

Second horn problem:

Anything goes: This arbitrariness would also mean that anything could become good, and anything could become bad, merely upon God's command.

Question: Do any of you guys have any thoughts on the problems on both horns?

Clea
post Oct 4 2016, 11:40 AM

28 posts

I'm no philosophy student.

But I believe morals are not divine commandments written in the stars.
IMO, morals are created by, and for humans to prevent society from collapsing on itself in the long run (and then probably go extinct).
TSBeta Tegus
post Oct 7 2016, 11:56 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(Clea @ Oct 4 2016, 11:40 AM)
I'm no philosophy student.

But I believe morals are not divine commandments written in the stars.
IMO, morals are created by, and for humans to prevent society from collapsing on itself in the long  run (and then probably go extinct).
No one is asking what you believe in. Read the questions carefully before you answer, please.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:01 PM