Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is UTAR grading system lenient?

views

TScontestchris
post Sep 15 2016, 05:40 AM, updated 8y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,335 posts

Like, does it mean you MUST get 50% to pass, or usually do they give an allowance where even if you get 47-48% for the total coursework marks, you can pass?
Drian
post Sep 15 2016, 11:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

Why do you want to ask this kind of questions, it only shows that you want an easy path to obtain degree.
Blofeld
post Sep 16 2016, 12:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,456 posts

I'm pretty sure it's the same everywhere where they will re-look into your paper if your score is at the marginal line.

I was told that the examiners for a professional body re-look into papers with scores at a marginal line.
m_zhen
post Sep 16 2016, 03:26 PM

17 posts

don't flunk your mid-terms and assignments and go to lecture classes where lecturers will tell you what to focus. u should be able to survive the course then
cnvery
post Sep 17 2016, 02:53 PM

Regular
1,831 posts

Yes
annoymous1234
post Sep 17 2016, 02:58 PM

Cheapest condo in PJ
7,343 posts

As far as i know, 49% also means fail, repeat the entire subject. However, if u are a good boy, u might talk to the lecturer, provided if the lecture is kind and notice u in class
TScontestchris
post Sep 24 2016, 01:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,335 posts

QUOTE(annoymous1234 @ Sep 17 2016, 02:58 PM)
As far as i know, 49% also means fail, repeat the entire subject. However, if u are a good boy, u might talk to the lecturer, provided if the lecture is kind and notice u in class
Well that's disheartening to know./
limeuu
post Sep 24 2016, 04:32 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

The fact that students ask this sort of questions is symptomatic of the rot of msian education... mediocrity permeates wide and deep....

We criticise the ipta and umno lead gov of discrimination and lack of meritocracy....but we actively search for the easiest paths...
TScontestchris
post Sep 25 2016, 05:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,335 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Sep 24 2016, 04:32 PM)
The fact that students ask this sort of questions is symptomatic of the rot of msian education... mediocrity permeates wide and deep....

We criticise the ipta and umno lead gov of discrimination and lack of meritocracy....but we actively search for the easiest paths...
Easy for you to say. As far as I know UTAR has one of the hardest exams around. They're no nonsense type.

I have friends in other universities where once you fail, you can do a resits paper immediately rather than doing another set. I'm talking about medicine in MMU. Another friend from APIT told me if you fail but within 10 marks, they allow you to pass but with a lower GPA than 2.0.

All I was wondering about was, if I did get 48 marks for this paper, will lecturers be soft and allow you to pass or not.
less1234
post Sep 25 2016, 10:18 AM

25 posts

UTAR is well known as University Tidak Ada Rehat due to overloading assignment and works. FYI, I m not an UTAR graduate.

Nevertheless, your question grading system is quite subjective due to massive amount of variable. Lecturer mood when grading, overall class performance (eg. if your entire class gets good results except you whom gotten 48%, probably you will be the only one that fails to keep the status quo up), faculty pressure, lecturer's principle and etc.
m_zhen
post Sep 26 2016, 05:29 PM

17 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Sep 25 2016, 05:15 AM)
All I was wondering about was, if I did get 48 marks for this paper, will lecturers be soft and allow you to pass or not.
Well, as a UTAR graduate, I would say the grading system is fine as long as you study accordingly.
If I'm not mistaken, their grading method is according to the Bell curve.
If most of your coursemates are scoring the same mark as you, you'll be safe.
If you are really below average, you can appeal anytime. But speak to your lecturer before you do that to ensure the success rate.
I don't see much of my coursemates success in making appeal though.
rooney723
post Sep 30 2016, 04:22 PM

On my way
577 posts

if u really get 48 or 49 usually the lecturer will just kesian u n up ur marks to 50 n let u pass

but if u get 45 or 46 or 47 then different story la, repeat the whole course
beeMay
post Oct 7 2016, 11:45 AM

Dr
647 posts

U must reach 50% in score, which is C.
But one lecturer told me that they wont give students an easy F unless if they didnt submit assignment. They would usually mark it up a little bit so that u can pass if you actually have a little bit lacking of grades to pass the subject. But thats from my faculty, not sure abt others
hihichew
post Oct 9 2016, 03:33 PM

On my way
677 posts

standard lecturer would do something like this as long as you're not his/her 'enemy',
once they finished marking, they would finalise the marks, and check anyone who required 1 marks to change their grades,

and after that, they will try to find a way to give u the additional 1 marks from your final exam paper.

note: usually it will not come from the coursework as coursework marks are usually finalized before the final exam

this was my university practice hehe
brian_heu98
post Oct 12 2016, 09:20 AM

Getting Started
82 posts

IMO Passing in UTAR is quite easy if you are passionate to study. Just be serious on your assignments, practicals and tests and I'm sure you can pass the subjects. FYI UTAR examinations are not easy but you can score if you did ample revision.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 12 2016, 11:31 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Sep 25 2016, 05:15 AM)
Easy for you to say. As far as I know UTAR has one of the hardest exams around. They're no nonsense type.

I have friends in other universities where once you fail, you can do a resits paper immediately rather than doing another set. I'm talking about medicine in MMU. Another friend from APIT told me if you fail but within 10 marks, they allow you to pass but with a lower GPA than 2.0.

Since when MMU has medicine programme? sweat.gif

Anyway, if you are only aiming for a pass, I would say that's not a promising outlook. smile.gif
TScontestchris
post Oct 13 2016, 09:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,335 posts

Ok guys nvm, managed to pass. Now my studies are over! smile.gif

So yeah, looks like if you get ~48 marks the lecturers will just push you a bit up lah. This wasn't a difficult paper for other people in my course, most got high marks, only I found it to be unbearably difficult.
sarcastic_angel
post Oct 15 2016, 06:01 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Oct 13 2016, 09:12 PM)
Ok guys nvm, managed to pass. Now my studies are over! smile.gif

So yeah, looks like if you get ~48 marks the lecturers will just push you a bit up lah. This wasn't a difficult paper for other people in my course, most got high marks, only I found it to be unbearably difficult.
Lucky you TS. Like some others mentioned in the thread, so long as you did prove to be a decently good student throughout the year, the lecturers would pull you through. Especially ever since they did not allow you to re-sit a paper but rather repeat the entire subject.
crystalfenix
post Oct 18 2016, 02:12 AM

Casual
426 posts

Lol. Utar can fail one ah.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:55 PM